Usergroups  ·  Register ·    Profile  ·  Log in to check your private messages  ·   Log in     

Why does Spirited Away have red tint?

Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next
Why does Spirited Away have red tint?
Author
Mayuko Chigasaki

PostPosted: Mon Jun 09, 2003 7:24 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote
quote:
Originally posted by Redfox455:
I appreiate your personal responce but I don't think it will be enougth to win over the many disapointed fans out there.

It won me over... and I'm not the only one it seems.
quote:
I now regard Madmans image to now be no better than manga or Siruns.
Most of your cusomers are now refusing to buy anymore of your product and at a very leased people now refuse to pre order your products.

You obviously don't know how bad siren are *shudders* and please speak for your self, I for one still support madman and I'm not alone.
Redfox455
Doraemon

PostPosted: Mon Jun 09, 2003 7:46 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote
If you can settle for sub standard quality and lies over what master they where using then fair enough.
Mods, you might as well close this as its going nowhere and its painfully obvious that Madman do not care about keeping customers happy and that nothing will be done in the future.
Nargun
Siegfried Kircheis

PostPosted: Mon Jun 09, 2003 7:55 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote
Tim&MMStaff:
That's a lot of work to have to throw away, and I do appreciate it; I'm sure you, as a consumer as much as someone responsible, are disappointed.

Unless you've got a 35mm projector tucked away in Casa Anderson, and are now gleefully watching watching a print that just happened to fall off the back of a warehouse. bastard... you wouldn't have one spare, would you?

- Louis
[will work for 16mm anime prints...]
Slykura
Madman Staff

PostPosted: Mon Jun 09, 2003 8:36 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote
quote:
If you can settle for sub standard quality and lies over what master they where using then fair enough.
Mods, you might as well close this as its going nowhere and its painfully obvious that Madman do not care about keeping customers happy and that nothing will be done in the future.

?? did you not read Tim's reply. He sincerly apologised for what happend, give him a break, it's not as if he WANTED to use what's out now and it's quite painfully obvious that everything in his power was done to try and correct this situation.

You're obviously not happy. But please don't think that your opinion is above everyone elses. We're not here to argue but to give suggestions and feedback on the product. Madman are a company, but at the end of the day they too are fans of anime. They too care about their products and what people think of their products. I can understand your fustration as to the dissatisfaction of the end result, but it wasn't as if they didn't try to the best of their ability.

Yes they should have told us what was going on. But as mentioned in the heat of the moment, trying to get the product finished, tested, etc they forgot to let one of us know what was happening. It does happen. Working in a busy and time restricted environment is not as easy as you think.

As for the other members lashing out on you. I feel that it's mainly because they feel insulted because of what you said. You did not base your argument with proper facts. Just assumptions from facts. I for one hope that you apologise for your remarks.

This thread is going to stay open, because there is still alot of discussion that needs to be said after Tim's response. This is one of those threads thats only going to stop when it dies off eventually.

------------------
Anime Coordinator - Comicfest/Supanova
Web Design and Multimedia - Studio Slykura

Supanova Pop Culture Expo - September 13 & 14, RNA Showgrounds Brisbane. -details soon-

Buy Newtype USA Japan's number 1 anime source in English! Free DVD with every issue!

[This message has been edited by Slykura (edited 09 June 2003).]
Redfox455
Doraemon

PostPosted: Mon Jun 09, 2003 9:10 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote
I accept Tims apology and I apologize to Tim (I will even send him a personal email apology if required, just drop his address off to me).
I will not apologize to people who think that because I live in the Uk i'm not entitled to a opinion, thats just been off side.
I sympathies and relate to working in busy environments with tight time restraints (I myself work in the Computer games business) but you must understand that this problem has upset many anime fans.
I base this off what I have seen on other boards and what people who I work with have been saying.
From what I can gather people would not have been bothered if you had stated earlier that you where using the French master.
Please understand that I am upset and disappointed that Madman did not deliver.
I do think I might have been a bit harsh in some of my earlier posts and I apologies but everyone is entitled to an opinion.
Please if you send us Tim's email I will send him a personal apology.
Inferno
Washu Hakubi

PostPosted: Mon Jun 09, 2003 9:12 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote
Redfox> If you can't respect the apology that was given to you, go have a cry and cuddle up to your blanky.

I really hate people like you, that keep whinging and moaning even after the topic has been apologised for and some what resolved.

I think it's about time to grow up.

-Inferno

------------------
"When one achieves true power, death still takes everything away." - Flame of Recca

http://www.animeinferno.com/

[This message has been edited by Inferno (edited 09 June 2003).]
Redfox455
Doraemon

PostPosted: Mon Jun 09, 2003 9:16 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote
Did you even read my post above?
Inferno
Washu Hakubi

PostPosted: Mon Jun 09, 2003 9:18 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote
Actually I wrote the post before you wrote the somewhat shiza apology.

-Inferno

------------------
"When one achieves true power, death still takes everything away." - Flame of Recca

http://www.animeinferno.com/
Slykura
Madman Staff

PostPosted: Mon Jun 09, 2003 9:41 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote
Guys knock it off ok?

Redfox455 - Madman do respect ALL of their customers opinions. International or local. The argument from other members is that Madman is still in the end an AUSTRALIAN company. Local companies usually worry about what's best for their local market first and foremost, as thats where the bulk of their sales comes from, you can't deny that. Yes people do import Madman titles because it's cheap and they are thankful for these extra sales and treat all customers as equals. People were mainly point out facts.

------------------

Supanova Pop Culture Expo - September 13 & 14, RNA Showgrounds Brisbane. -details soon-

Buy Newtype USA Japan's number 1 anime source in English! Free DVD with every issue!
Ghostly
Mayuko Chigasaki

PostPosted: Mon Jun 09, 2003 9:54 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote
quote:
I will not apologize to people who think that because I live in the Uk i'm not entitled to a opinion, thats just been off side.

No one said you weren't entitled to an opinion... What was said, was that Madman consider keeping Austrlian consumers happy more important than keeping overseas consumers happy which is understandable.
What people didn't like is the way you went about stating your opinions and your inability to accept an apology.
That and the fact you jump to conclusions that are incorrect and preach like you know what your talking about... I found that particularly annoying...
damian 007
Doraemon

PostPosted: Mon Jun 09, 2003 10:09 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote
Hi everyone,
just just brought spirted away, and the disc is fine, there is no red tint, on my tv or pc. Its a clear copy. So I don't know why some have it some don't, could be your players or tv?? Only thing it does on the madman trailers,the disc get stuck on gundum wing,and I'm not fuss about it. So thumbs up for madman. All the disc I have brought from them, I have no problems with them.
thank you.

------------------
sebastion6
Doraemon

PostPosted: Mon Jun 09, 2003 10:30 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote
I got the 2 disk version today.
I watched it on my 68cm flat screen tv(using component cables and on 100hz-i am not bragging,just stating the pic.quality)and i must say that its not that noticable but its there(mainly in scenes that are dark).I am slightly disappointed but when things that you have no control over what can you do?
I for 1 will still stand by MM.

What i found was more annoying is that once i knew the red tint problem was there you tend to look for it.If you didn't know about it you may not even notice it.

[This message has been edited by sebastion6 (edited 09 June 2003).]
InGram
Madboard Mod

PostPosted: Mon Jun 09, 2003 11:13 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote
quote:
Originally posted by sebastion6:
i am not bragging,just stating the pic. quality...

If I were you, I would be bragging!

------------------
Bernard: What you order?
Manny: Lager.
Bernard: I got you a creme de menthe.

[This message has been edited by InGram (edited 09 June 2003).]
maddog
Koyomi Mizuhara

PostPosted: Mon Jun 09, 2003 11:20 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote
quote:
Originally posted by sebastion6:

What i found was more annoying is that once i knew the red tint problem was there you tend to look for it.If you didn't know about it you may not even notice it.

ain't that always the case was the same with me with the horizontal line ntsc-pal garble on LH#2 and CB..

damien, most people won't even notice it, however some people tend to pick up on these things more easily. While the red tint may not be painfully obvious, and to be honest I don't even think i'd notice it, the slightly red tint is on the master and therefore will be on every disc. However that's how it is all over the world so meh..
Jeranon
Ryuk

PostPosted: Mon Jun 09, 2003 11:59 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote
Ignorance is bliss.
JESTER
Ruri Hoshino

PostPosted: Tue Jun 10, 2003 12:13 am    Post subject: Reply with quote
Tim. Thanks for the reply.

This is one of the few english based anime companies that has an active chatroom where the companies execs. get involved. Tim has always been quick to respond to complaints here which shows that though he doesn't post often, he keeps in touch with those who come here. How many companies do that?. No bloody many.
Redfox455, you are annoying. That is a fact. I make no apologies and couldn't give a stuff what you think about me or other members. You rant and rave about this and that, but you're only harming yourself. Something like shooting your feet off by firing your gun while it's still holstered. A lot of us here import as well, but we support Madman, because they have been doing a great job of bringing anime to Australia. They've even been trying to get as many extras like boxes and t-shirts to attract people away from importing the same product.
When you look at Spirited Away, you must consider a few things..
1 : The extras - Sourced from Japan, not released in the US.
2 : The video - Though used from French masters is still superior than most releases.
3 : Pricing - It's cheaper here than the US.

If you want the Disney extras then go import from the US, but if you want the Japanese extras, you can only get it from here or from Japan. Just stop whining. Please..

------------------
Restarting soon.. The Lost Chronicles - The Jester Wars.

Suspended till further notice. STORM LOCKED!

Temp. Suspended. Hunting Dominatrix Peorth - A Leather Clad Adventure
StorminNorman
Gillard-chan

PostPosted: Tue Jun 10, 2003 12:31 am    Post subject: Reply with quote
It's a pity my post had to wind up as the last post on the previous page, where no one will read it.

Redfox: I think you're being a bit harsh towards Madman. Understand that, because our market is so insignificant in terms of the global anime market, we often get shafted like this.

Also, there were French people involved, and we all know what that means.

------------------
you say, "beauty is within us, your mother knows"
"there's a beauty that's within us, just like a rose"
you say, "beauty is within us, so let it grow"
but it's grown so dark and ugly
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website MSN Messenger
maddog
Koyomi Mizuhara

PostPosted: Tue Jun 10, 2003 2:59 am    Post subject: Reply with quote
i read it.. and you seemed awfully nice for someone who said they were never gonna buy from madman again
Ericf
Hajime Saitou

PostPosted: Tue Jun 10, 2003 3:21 am    Post subject: Reply with quote
OK, people. There's an awful lot of noise about Madman's DVD being inferior to the R1 in it's encoding. Namely in MPEG artefacts. I say: put your money where your mouth is! Give us clear evidence in the form of captures of the R1 vs the R4. Show us that the tint is at the same level on both these DVD versions. Show us what Madman has missed in the encoding department. People were'nt totally pleased with the R1's image wuality either. Some said it was soft and had too many compression artefacts.

Show us the comparison and then we can all know what is and what isn't in this question.
Thank you.

Ericf
Argowal
Shiina Tamai

PostPosted: Tue Jun 10, 2003 3:58 am    Post subject: Reply with quote
quote:
Originally posted by madman:
If it becomes possible at some time in the future to get a new master that comes from a true PAL Telecine conversion from internegative then we will try to source it.....If and when this happens we will let you know.

Well, if/when this happens I will be glad to hand over my cash for a copy . Until then, I think I'll spend my Ghibli money on the other titles I need to get to complete the set.

I also greatly appreciate your reply and understand the problems, but unfortunately I won't be picking up this release, nor recommending it, anytime soon (unless I see it on sale for $15 or something ), not because I think there will be a major problem with it (I almost never see any of the problems some of the board members talk about) but simply because of the way it was discovered by the public (heck, I actually first found out about it over at AoD) and the fact that it is different to what it should have been.

I look forward to many other releases from Madman though, and have no intention to stop buying or recommending them.

------------------
---------------

337 anime DVDs in my collection and growing

Favourite Anime: Princess Nine

For Info On Avoiding Bootlegs
The Pirate Anime FAQ
StorminNorman
Gillard-chan

PostPosted: Tue Jun 10, 2003 9:06 am    Post subject: Reply with quote
quote:
Originally posted by maddog:
i read it.. and you seemed awfully nice for someone who said they were never gonna buy from madman again

I don't recall saying that, but I'm not about to run back through this thread to find out, either.

Ericf: As I've said previously, I did not notice any MPEG artifacts when viewing a copy of the DVD on the weekend. I know you tend to watch everything frame-by-frame, but I don't think you're going to have problems with this.

------------------
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website MSN Messenger
Gouki
Vanilla H

PostPosted: Tue Jun 10, 2003 9:19 am    Post subject: Reply with quote
I couldn't give a flying **** about the red tint. If I enjoy the movie I will not even notice... If I, for some unknown reason, hate the movie I will notice it. Buffy Season 2 has very poor shadows and can't handle the darker scenes very well on the DVD's but I enjoy it so much I don't notice.

I'm more worried about when my DVD will arrive! Sometime this week I hope? Seeing as it was released a week early and I live in Victoria...

------------------
Dragonball R has been updated! Part 7, 8, 9 are now up!

Give in to the demon inside. IT will set you free...
"Shun Gokuu Sattsu!!!"
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website Yahoo Messenger MSN Messenger
madman
Doraemon

PostPosted: Tue Jun 10, 2003 5:09 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote
Hi All,

I am confused as to how people can even discuss this when it is not officially released until tomorrow!!

Naughty stores - breaking shelf date! Just shows you what happens when we manage to get stock shipped in early! ^_^

And just for clarification, our entire focus is the Aus/NZ market, which is our official Territory - much as we love to hear about people managing to source import copies. We try to measure up to international counterparts as best we can, given the tiny size of Australia on the international market.

Best,
Tim.
Nosaj
Usagi Tsukino

PostPosted: Tue Jun 10, 2003 5:30 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote
This'll learn you for actually getting something out early Next time you finish something early you know to hold onto it in the warehouse or something until the proper release date

------------------
The only reason I post is to see my own sig.
Slykura
Madman Staff

PostPosted: Tue Jun 10, 2003 5:40 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote
I had the chance to watch part of the DVD on a nice Sony Plasma screen today.
Yes I did notice a bit of very very light pink in the white areas but did not notice interlacing especailly at that scene where the original frame blending screen cap was taken from.

I can't wait till my copy arrives.

------------------

Argowal
Shiina Tamai

PostPosted: Tue Jun 10, 2003 6:11 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote
quote:
Naughty stores

Hehehe, I think that includes, well, just about all of them . Probably because everyone was chomping at the bit to get hold of this DVD (which actually is, sadly, probably why the problems have been as big a deal as they are).

------------------
---------------

337 anime DVDs in my collection and growing

Favourite Anime: Princess Nine

For Info On Avoiding Bootlegs
The Pirate Anime FAQ
oogi2000
Eikichi Onizuka

PostPosted: Tue Jun 10, 2003 10:00 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote
Quote:
Ignorance is bliss.

Ditto. I've always said this.

------------------
GUTS : Maybe this really was my home after all. I never noticed until now... What I used to want... was right here. Why? Why do I realise something only when I've already lost it?

oogi2000's DVD Collection. In there. Somewhere.
nathanh
Doraemon

PostPosted: Tue Jun 10, 2003 10:28 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote
quote:
Hi All,

We planned to release the best possible version of Spirited Away worldwide...

Regards,
Tim
Managing Director
Madman

By the review on michaeldvd.com.au you've certainly done this. I've never seen such a glowing review by Tony Rogers: 5 stars for audio, 5 stars for video. If there's a tint problem then it's obviously not enough of a deal to annoy Tony, and he has spent more money on his home theatre than most people spend on their cars!

I also appreciate that there's a Japanese DTS track. That's brilliant! Shows that Madman is truly caring for the tiny number of hardcore fans.

I'm eagerly anticipating the arrival of my LE.
Sakuya
Kenshin Himura

PostPosted: Tue Jun 10, 2003 11:13 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote
quote:
Originally posted by StorminNorman:
Also, there were French people involved, and we all know what that means.

LOL.. damn the French.. shafting us again!!

haste
Lin Minmay

PostPosted: Tue Jun 10, 2003 11:23 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote
Thanks for the reply Tim

I've bought it, I've watched it and I love it.

'nuff said....
soma
Minawa Andou

PostPosted: Wed Jun 11, 2003 12:28 am    Post subject: Reply with quote
quote:
Originally posted by nathanh:
I also appreciate that there's a Japanese DTS track. That's brilliant! Shows that Madman is truly caring for the tiny number of hardcore fans.

I'm eagerly anticipating the arrival of my LE.

Ditto. Agree.

Considering the absence of the 'Disney' features (I can only imagine after seeing the gushing American drivel on my copy of Castle In The Sky... not to mention the annoying fact that it plays before the movie - something I STRONGLY disagree with), the inclusion of several other extras directly from Japan, the inclusion of a Japanese DTS soundtrack, Madman trailers (instead of Disney trailers - yay!), and the best cover art / packaging released so far anywhere in the world (I refer to the Limited Edition), I still see this as the best release, and have a date with my local retailer tomorrow to pick it up.

And someone correct me if I'm wrong, but wasn't it decided some time ago that the French release (in terms of video quality) was superior to the R1 release anyway?

I also appreciate Tim personally responding to this thread. Name another company that does that???!

Finally, I think some of you need to check your heads. I understand that some of you are suitably upset by this news and probably a little angry, given the fact that what WAS promised WAS NOT delivered (even I was agitated upon entering this thread... although by the end I had calmed down considerably), there is a far more professional and reasonable way of expressing concern and/or dissatisfaction with a product. A well worded and far more articulate post will have far greater impact on the powers that be anyway, there really is no need for abusive language, hollow threats and unwarranted claims. This goes for many of the Junior Members, as well as the UK poster (Redfox)...... in fact I find it ironic and mildly hypocritical that a UK poster would criticise Madman so heavily, given the fact that the UK is the home of Manga Entertainment, who have botched more classic feature-length Anime than I care to recall!

I await to peruse my own copy before passing further judgement.....

[This message has been edited by soma (edited 11 June 2003).]
maddog
Koyomi Mizuhara

PostPosted: Wed Jun 11, 2003 12:40 am    Post subject: Reply with quote
quote:
I don't recall saying that, but I'm not about to run back through this thread to find out, either.

i didn't mean in this thread, but meh.. like it really matters.
Unit-01
Lin Minmay

PostPosted: Wed Jun 11, 2003 2:24 am    Post subject: Reply with quote
quote:
Originally posted by soma:
This goes for many of the Junior Members, as well as the UK poster (Redfox)...... in fact I find it ironic and mildly hypocritical that a UK poster would criticise Madman so heavily, given the fact that the UK is the home of Manga Entertainment, who have botched more classic feature-length Anime than I care to recall!

Why are you guys being so much jerks about people complaining who are not from Australia? They can complain just as much as you can, even more so in this case if they bought a Madman release and got something else than was promised and advertised. That means much more hassle for the customer to return it if he want's to. False advertising is no joke and is not a matter to be taken lightly.

So now people who live in a country where Manga Ent. have been the biggest anime company yet are ironic and hypocritical if they criticize Madman for something?? I fail to see why and frankly I find your post very insulting and uncalled for. There's a word for this you know, discrimination.

[This message has been edited by Unit-01 (edited 11 June 2003).]
Redfox455
Doraemon

PostPosted: Wed Jun 11, 2003 3:39 am    Post subject: Reply with quote
I appologize for going over the top and I have already mailed Tim a personal appology (seems to be a nice guy btw).
I am from the UK and yes I'm proud of it.
People might hate Manga but please remember who released all them quality VHS tapes years ago (many I still own now)and some of manga DVD's are spot on (Blood is fantastic).
Anyway I appologize for going over the top but my anger was fueled even more when people where basicly telling me to shut up cos I'm from the UK.
I appologize to Madmans staff and to any I may have offended but please be aware that my money is the same as anyone elses (value wise) so I should too be intitled to a opinion.
If you firmly believe other wise then you should not be entitled to bash Manga.

[This message has been edited by Redfox455 (edited 11 June 2003).]
maddog
Koyomi Mizuhara

PostPosted: Wed Jun 11, 2003 3:56 am    Post subject: Reply with quote
I don't know who brought up the whole different country thing. And personally I think anyone who thinks that people can't complain about madman products just because they aren't in madman's "main" market are just stupid.

Unit-01 is right in saying that it in fact affects them more, because of shipping costs back and such, it's much harder for them to replace the product. However it doesn't give people an excuse to be rude, especially after being given a decent explanation. That is what people got annoyed at redfoxx at, and that is what redfoxx has apologised for, so as far as i'm concerned all's well.
StorminNorman
Gillard-chan

PostPosted: Wed Jun 11, 2003 8:57 am    Post subject: Reply with quote
quote:
Originally posted by maddog:
I don't know who brought up the whole different country thing. And personally I think anyone who thinks that people can't complain about madman products just because they aren't in madman's "main" market are just stupid.

Agreed. If they're buying Madman product from overseas, they're just as much Madman's customers as someone who buys Madman releases locally. This is doubly true of the UK, where the local anime companies are pretty bad anyway, so any good PAL alternative is preferable.

I'm pretty disgusted with the behaviour of some board members on this issue. Does it really matter where you're from if you're buying Madman DVDs? They're still getting your money, right?

Last I checked, there wasn't a local anime company in Iceland, either.

------------------

[This message has been edited by StorminNorman (edited 11 June 2003).]
Unit-01
Lin Minmay

PostPosted: Wed Jun 11, 2003 9:51 am    Post subject: Reply with quote
quote:

Last I checked, there wasn't a local anime company in Iceland, either.

That's right SN, there's isn't much of anything local here in Iceland. And I doubt there ever will be a local anime company seeing as we're a nation of just 300.000 people. And besides, I wouldn't buy their releases as Icelanders simply don't know how to produce DVD's. There are one or two local companies authoring a few DVD's (live-action) here but just about every single one is botched and recently they've even dropped licensing 5.1 surround tracks! Think Siren, only worse and located in Iceland!

Plus, Madman would be a cheaper alternitive anyway and their DVD releases are quality products when they get them out without hick-ups. I know I'll continue to support them, although I'm very frustrated with their SA release, especially since they didn't bother letting anyone know about the master change and seemingly just hoped nobody would notice it! I'd be up in arms if I had pre-ordered a copy like I was originally going to do.
Slykura
Madman Staff

PostPosted: Wed Jun 11, 2003 10:02 am    Post subject: Reply with quote
quote:
[B]and some of manga DVD's are spot on (Blood is fantastic).
[B]

I hate to be picky but I believe blood was a title that madman authored for Manga UK ^_^

------------------

Melody
Kuu

PostPosted: Wed Jun 11, 2003 10:44 am    Post subject: Reply with quote
Hmmmm....
Well, if Madman ever get better masters, they could always release an "ultimate edition".

------------------
My DVD Collection
Wheeeeeeee!

~~

"I know how tough it is bein' a leader, because I've been one.
I always forget who has what materia".

- Cid, Final Fantasy VII
Kloppy
Nene Romanova

PostPosted: Wed Jun 11, 2003 12:51 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote
quote:
Originally posted by Slykura:
I hate to be picky but I believe blood was a title that madman authored for Manga UK ^_^

Sly, That'd have to be one of the best compliments I've seen!

I was able to pick up both SA and Cowboy Bebop the movie yesterday (go you naughty stores! ) I wasn't able to see any tint in the SA feature. I haven't seen trailers. I'm also not trying to say it isn't there*. It's a shame that the source had to be changed and there was 'no time' to let us know. I'm only disappointed in that respect, because like I said, I think their product is great.

If there were a calibration feature on the disk, like with many THX verified disks, perhaps the complaints may have been less. Only because of the complaints regarding other releases would I have recommended this.

*I'm colourblind, so even if there was a tint I probably wouldn't be able to see it.

------------------
No matter how repulsive the peace, it's still vital to guard it. It may be an immoral peace, may be an unjust peace, but an unjust peace is still better than a just war.
maddog
Koyomi Mizuhara

PostPosted: Wed Jun 11, 2003 6:34 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote
quote:
Originally posted by Unit-01:
although I'm very frustrated with their SA release, especially since they didn't bother letting anyone know about the master change and seemingly just hoped nobody would notice it! I'd be up in arms if I had pre-ordered a copy like I was originally going to do.

i know it must feel even worse being from overseas and all, but you have to realise that tim is only human, he wrote an apology stating that it slipped his mind. I sincerely doubt he had any sinister intention. He also said he'd make sure the public knows about changes such as these in advance next time, so I guess that's an upside right?
Ericf
Hajime Saitou

PostPosted: Thu Jun 12, 2003 4:16 am    Post subject: Reply with quote
Slykura said:

I'm not so sure. I remember that I read on the animeondvd.com forums that they had compared the R2 and the R4 and that they said that the UK DVD had a softer picture.

I have the Madman DVD and although it gives me a couple of problems ( mainly color separation problems in areas where the colors are supposed to go from dark to light or vice versa because I get clear fields of color with one shade only. It's like you have a small circle of light color in the middle and the color should become gradually darker the further out from that circle you look but instead of a smooth change from light to dark you get clear circles of darker and darker clolors )it's actually a really good DVD. I have some problems with choppy animation ( not smooth ) in the movie though. Much of character movement is choppy. Especially when they are a bit away from the "camera".
Ericf
madmangohan
Noooooooooooooooo

PostPosted: Thu Jun 12, 2003 9:13 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote
finally got to watch my copy of it after getting it tueday arvo.
the red tint isnt really noticable unless you know there is some and you look at everything white. i forgot about staring at white gear 10min in and focused on the film. and i never noticed it again.

The layer change was very noticable, though i didnt mind, it was just there.

Great film i must say, something i'll be watching for a long time to come. just gotta get through the second disc yet.

------------------
"Expect the Unxpected"-Kerobarros -CardCaptor Sakura
sgt_tediz
Koishi Herikawa

PostPosted: Fri Jun 13, 2003 12:09 am    Post subject: Reply with quote
rather than complaining about anything, i'd like to say well done to Madman for all the efforts to ensure that we got the best release of Spirited Away possible, but i really do hope that some time (i am prepared to wait), we will be able to get a copy without the red tint, although some of the comparison shots show it is not as bad as the R2/R3 anyway.

as for the red tint being much more apparent when viewed on a computer monitor as compared to a TV/projector, i think i'll investigate that matter once i get my copy...

------------------
.:[//hirokazu"2oo3]:.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website MSN Messenger ICQ Number
Jeranon
Ryuk

PostPosted: Fri Jun 13, 2003 5:05 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote
I have a curiosity. For this BEST EVAR RELAESE, did Madman use the quick and cheap NTSC->PAL conversion method? Or did they use the slow and expensive NTSC->PAL conversion method?

[This message has been edited by Jeranon (edited 13 June 2003).]
Slykura
Madman Staff

PostPosted: Fri Jun 13, 2003 5:15 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote
They used a French Master so I Think you'll probably have to find out what type of method they used.
Jeranon
Ryuk

PostPosted: Fri Jun 13, 2003 5:45 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote
Ugh, duh. That's what Tim said above. The internet is bad for me...

While I don't think the R4 is the best release, neither is any other release currently available. R4 has DTS and uber extras. R1 has better video (ie progressive) but slightly lesser extras and no DTS. R2 has the strong tint, but slightly better video. Tough call for the discerning buyer. For all others, the R4 is perfectly fine and from what information I can find, it uses the best conversion method. It depends on what you like on the technical side.

If Madman can chase up and beat the film master from the "Agent" and are willing to rerelease with a film transfer, their DTS and extras will make this the superior choice in the foreseeable future.

The only variable is the coming UK release which I hear is not being handled by BV (ie like Madman in Australia). If they can get the film source, it'll be interesting because it's likely they'll also be able to get the DTS. The extras probably not. Then again, if they can get the film source...
Slykura
Madman Staff

PostPosted: Fri Jun 13, 2003 5:53 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote
I belive madman had to pay quite a bit extra in order to get Japanese DTS. Least it seems that way from Tim's reply.

------------------

JESTER
Ruri Hoshino

PostPosted: Fri Jun 13, 2003 7:06 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote
I picked it up and couldn't see a red tint and I was paying attention to it. Reminded me of the big screen version in colour.

------------------
Restarting soon.. The Lost Chronicles - The Jester Wars.

Suspended till further notice. STORM LOCKED!

Temp. Suspended. Hunting Dominatrix Peorth - A Leather Clad Adventure
nathanh
Doraemon

PostPosted: Fri Jun 13, 2003 7:23 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote
quote:
Originally posted by Jeranon:
While I don't think the R4 is the best release, neither is any other release currently available. R4 has DTS and uber extras. R1 has better video (ie progressive)

Could you explain this? I thought the MPEG stream on DVD was always stored with full frames. The average DVD player turns this into interlaced fields because that's what your TV expects. The fancier progressive scan DVD players outputs whole frames if your TV supports it. But what do you mean when you say the DVD disc itself is progressive?

EDIT: Nevermind. Answered my own question by reading the DVD FAQ. The MPEG stream on the DVD can be progressive or interlaced. Films are often stored 24 fps progressive but TV sources are often stored 25 fps interlaced (PAL) or 29.97 fps interlaced (NTSC).

[This message has been edited by nathanh (edited 13 June 2003).]

Page 3 of 4

Jump to: