Usergroups  ·  Register ·    Profile  ·  Log in to check your private messages  ·   Log in     

Acquisition suggestions:

Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10  Next
Acquisition suggestions:
Author
Doraemon

PostPosted: Mon Jan 26, 2004 8:50 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote
Very Happy here is my want list Smile

eastern condors
the east is red
the swordsman
twins effect
i my me strawberry eggs
whispering corridors
the samurai
lone wolf & cub (if uncut)
a chinese ghost story (not the anime)
2000AD
picture(portrait) of a nymph
all men are brothers: blood of the leopard
conspiracy
killer
young & dangerous series
the masked prosecutor
the weather woman Twisted Evil
any & all hk action/triad/ghost movies
city hunter (again not the anime) (jackie chan street fighter skitz hooray Laughing )

will upload my entire list later Razz
got a whole stack of original hk dvd's on my travels
lots i can recommend
Zedstar
Madboard Mod

PostPosted: Mon Jan 26, 2004 9:42 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote
AS I HAVE SAID- JACKIE CHAN AND JET LI IS ALL TAKEN- THAT MEANS ALL IS UNAVAILABLE.

And while you mean well- PLEASE limit your suggestions.

Don't just list every single HK or Foreign or Arthouse (because this list is not SPECIFICALLY for Eastern Eye, it is for all of the MM Cinema stuff) that you own. Just limit the suggestions to films that you are *really* interested in seeing released here. Try to do add a link to any further information about it, and/or do a quick rundown of it.

The aim of this thread is not to just throw a bunch of names at Madman, but rather to give them some SPECIFIC films for them to be able to chase up, and preferably so that they find it easier to chase up.

-_- Zedstar
deathrebirth
Doraemon

PostPosted: Tue Jan 27, 2004 5:09 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote
Zedstar wrote:
AS I HAVE SAID- JACKIE CHAN AND JET LI IS ALL TAKEN- THAT MEANS ALL IS UNAVAILABLE.

Shocked duck & cover Shocked

sorry bout that, i generally dislike getting butchered movies
(hell i even waited for ninja scroll 10th anniversary se Razz )
so i tend not to follow what western co has the license on them,
i get hk movies direct from hk uncut..
i think there may be a few around that are unlicensed
i have seen licensed vhs versions with eng dub here in oz
ie. force video (with eng dub) but no way old titles licensed for dvd
from when jackie / jet werent that well known yet / had supporting roles in films

if madman can release uncut versions Very Happy sweeeet Very Happy

as for the other stuff, revised, links & some with descriptions
this is what i would like to see released Smile

feel free to edit / move/ delete the post if it still doesnt meet *standards* Cool

eastern condors

the swordsman 1 2 3

Twins effect

Lone Wolf & Cub

Rotten Tomatoes review of Lone Wolf &Cub, Babycart at the River Styx

2000AD

Aaron Kwok is Peter, a computer programmer who gets involved in a nasty computer virus war when his brother Greg (Ray Lui) is exposed as a CIA agent. Peter has a hard time understanding as the bad guys seem to be coming out of the woodwork

Iceman Cometh

This atypical HK flick finds Yuen Biao as a Ming Dynasty Royal Guard who
undertakes a mission to capture or destroy a former friend (Yuen Wah), whoís become a degenerate rapist/murderer. While tracking Wah, they both get thrown thrown through time by a magic Time Wheel, whereupon they get frozen in ice

the boxer from shantung (Killer From Shantung) Review- HK FlixReview- Kung Fu Cinema

Infernal Affairs

Dirty Ho

the film features Wong Yue as the title character, an impetuous young punk who meets up with a slumming, prince-in-disguise played by the Shaolin MasterKiller himself, Gordon Liu Chia-Hui. After a series of humorous, well-choreographed fight sequences, the two (in true buddy movie fashion) form an unlikely friendship as they try to overcome a royal assassination plot

Super Car Criminals
(i have seen this, but dont have it *yet*)(i dont particulary agree with the reviewers comments)

The rising Louis Koo is an undercover cop while the falling Michael Wong is the head of a car heist gang. Koo joins Wong's gang by impressing him with his keen fighting skills, but he soon comes to question his allegiances as Wong is one of those "honorable" thief types

Drunken Monkey

Executioners (curse you disney)

The Heroic Trio (curse you miramax, another one bites the chopping table)

Evil Underworld Demon Master is stealing babies to facilitate a plan to take
over China. Three female superheroes help the police to stop him. Considered a cult classic.

Flying Tiger Leaping Dragon

The Inheritor of Kung Fu

The Killer (1989)

Killer (2000)(i have this one, others may enjoy it also)

Jordan, Mark, Simon, and Ken are four triad hitmen whoíve reached a lofty position in the triad underworld thanks to their killing skills. However,
their position is threatened as numerous little plot threads start to unravel
and their lifestyle begins to be the death of them

kung fu cult master (Lord of the Wu Tang) (i believe this has not been licensed for dvd in these parts)

Uneven kung-fu epic is also a lightning-paced swordplay extravaganza that should entertain through sheer spectacle

Return To a Better Tomorrow

Tokyo Raiders(have this one, others will surely like it Smile )

The monster Lunar New Year hit of 2000 features an all-star cast and all-star hijinks. Tony Leung Chiu-Wai stars as Lam, the toughest private eye in Tokyo. Despite his small stature and broken Japanese, he owns the Tokyo streets with
his suave charisma and John Steed-like fighting skills. He falls in with
jilted bride Macy (Kelly Chan), who arrives in Tokyo chasing her wayward
groom Takahashi (Toru Nakamura of Gen-X Cops). Tailing her is interior
designer Yung (Ekin Cheng), whoís after Takashi to settle a debt. Soon theirpaths cross and mayhem ensues. Various factions are after Macy for reasons not entirely unknown, and it seems that Lam and Yung may have a few secrets themselves

shogun & little kitchen (seems interesting enough) http://www.lovehkfilm.com/reviews/shogun_and_little_kitchen.htm

troublesome night 1 2 3 4 5 6 7

to live & die in tsimshatsui

Earlier cops and triads flick from Andrew Lau, who later scored with the
Young and Dangerous movies. Jacky Cheung stars as an undercover cop who finds
himself tortured by his life among the triads. Heís locked into his job with
no way out, and heís starting to find the triad guys (led by ďThe Triad
Actor,Ē Roy Cheung) more honorable than his supremely despicable superior officer

that is *all*, i am but a lowly critic

www.lovehkfilm.com

deathrebirth's anime to buy list is so big he wishes he was an oil baron :p
deathrebirth
Doraemon

PostPosted: Tue Jan 27, 2004 5:54 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote
oh & for those that have not seen it

picture of a nymph [produced in 1988]
(titled portrait of a nymph in 1992 by sbs, Question which is also the name of an adult movie on googling for reviews on this hk title)
would make fine viewing in cinema & a great addition to your dvd collection
plug$ Laughing

this link has screenshots & box cover, as well as a rundown
http://www.brns.com/pages3/7fort44.html

Tachikoma
Shiki Tohno

PostPosted: Wed Jan 28, 2004 9:24 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote
LOL @ deathrebirth, nice work!!! Cool Laughing

Another suggestion I'd like to add (I'm not sure about its licensing status here):

The 36th Chamber of Shaolin - A classic masterpiece by the Shaw Brothers.

http://www.kungfucinema.com/reviews/thirtysixthchamberofshaolin.htm

Currently the best release out there is by Celestial Pictues, distributed by International Video Ltd. and Deltamax. Both are Region 3. These releases are extrememly rare and I love to see a local job here.

Last edited by Tachikoma on Wed Jan 28, 2004 10:44 pm; edited 1 time in total
Chris
Madman Staff

PostPosted: Wed Jan 28, 2004 9:59 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote
Thanks for the detailed info. Smile Unfortunately, a lot of Shaw Brothers' stuff is not available (ie. licenses already taken). While some are available, 36th Chamber is sadly not one of them. Sad
bradavon
Washu Hakubi

PostPosted: Thu Jan 29, 2004 1:07 am    Post subject: Reply with quote
Remxi wrote:
Importing costs big $$$, thats why.

While I possibly agree. I've bought many R4 titles and have never found the postage costs to be really that high. I'd assume it works the other way.

R4 titles are often not that much more expensive than UK R2 titles for us people from the UK (unless there is an R2 sale on of course and as they are though I generally only buy R4 if the title is better in R4 land though).
deathrebirth
Doraemon

PostPosted: Thu Jan 29, 2004 2:52 am    Post subject: Reply with quote
Quote:
LOL @ deathrebirth, nice work!!!

Laughing thx, almost perfect Razz
Quote:
Unfortunately, a lot of Shaw Brothers' stuff is not available

Shocked n..n.nnn.nn no shaw brothers?

no boxers from shantung
no dirty ho's
no drunken monkeys
no 36th chamber of shaolins Crying or Very sad

who got'em Question
please please please donít say those pacifists at disney(miramax)

if so what is their address Wink

*deathrebirth readies his chainsaw* Twisted Evil

Chris will Madman be looking at getting vintage kung fu movies?
i am a whore for the 70s & 80s kung fu films they kick arse <place
intentional pun here> Laughing

examples:

The Close Kung Fu Encounter

the boxers adventure

bruce against iron hand

one armed boxer (Chinese Professionals)

drunken arts & crippled fists (peculiar fist kid)

mystery of chess boxing (ninja checkmate)

http://www.rarekungfumovies.com
this site has quite a large list of the vintage goods & also some mpg previews the short clip of "Mantis Under Falcon Claws" looks pretty good

want reviews peeps?
this site http://www.carly.clara.co.uk/reviewmenu.htm has an extremity of reviews on vintage kung fu & modern
also has reviews on some japanese, korean & thai titles

well must be off now,

再见

bradavon
Washu Hakubi

PostPosted: Thu Jan 29, 2004 2:00 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote
Deathrebirth if you're going to link to HK Flix please link to the DVD info page such as:

http://www.hkflix.com/xq/asp/filmID.529777/qx/details.htm

Or better yet use URL formatting such as:

The Boxer from Shantung

Very Happy

These long links just mess up the forums, assuming I'm not stepping on anyones toes that is. Another: Very Happy

BTW one of your "Lone Wolf & Club" links doesn't work, here is a fixed and shorter version:

Lone Wolf & Club @ Epinions

Give Eastern Eye a chance though, they've not even released any DVD's yet and your schedule will keep them busy for the next 2-3 years Laughing

p.s - You really should keep an eye out at Western studios such as HKL, Fox and to some extent Columbia Tristar deathrebirth as all three release uncut (for the most part) HK titles in far superior AV to the HK version.
bradavon
Washu Hakubi

PostPosted: Thu Jan 29, 2004 2:09 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote
I'd personally prefer Eastern Eye release DVD's that have not got decent releases as yet (we're in a world of multi-region after all). Titles such as 2000 AD already have excellent releases and as said before R1/R2 titles are not much to ship to Australia (and visa-versa). Lets not forget also all of HKL titles are either R0 or R2/R4 encoded anyway.

I'd even think with shipping, the DVD's aren't much more than R4 titles bought while in Australia (well that was my experiance anyway).

2000AD particulary has a decent release from HKL.

I'm only bringing them up as to give evidence against releasing titles HKL have the rights to (for the most part). All IMO of course.
deathrebirth
Doraemon

PostPosted: Fri Jan 30, 2004 5:12 am    Post subject: Reply with quote
Quote:
Deathrebirth if you're going to link to HK Flix please link to the DVD info page such as:
http://www.hkflix.com/xq/asp/filmID.529777/qx/details.htm

the hkflix html i was linking to was reviews of this title not a synopsis

Quote:
These long links just mess up the forums

better to be able to see the full html than have it contain a malicious code that cannot be seen when a name contains a link
example it could have a website link then extra code to redirect to another webpage, which can then download a trojan or virus from that site via install on demand if it is enabled or if the user happens to click yes
not everyone uses anti-virus / firewalls like they should
i am on broadband & the amount of hack attempts you get woooooh nasty

btw ppl if ur on xp donít use blank passwords it will allow remote connection to your machine so much easier

Quote:
BTW one of your "Lone Wolf & Club" links doesn't work, here is a fixed and shorter version:

thx, it did work on the night of posting as i had tested the link as i always do in preview, while I was clearing up some spaces, it seems i must have inadvertently erased the ? before the word submitted

the one I posted was
dead link

what it should be is

Epinions Babycart links

sorry bout that peeps Embarassed

Quote:
Give Eastern Eye a chance though, they've not even released any DVD's yet and your schedule will keep them busy for the next 2-3 years

I am merely making a few title suggestions that the folks at madman may/may not
be interested in licensing
2-3 years is a bit of an over exaggeration is it not? given the amount of titles i listed, it wouldnít necessarily take that long
the only thing that would take long is the licensing & getting the source film, also the schedule; will they have a separate studio for eastern eye?
or will it be the same production floor that also produces the anime etc.

Quote:
p.s - You really should keep an eye out at Western studios such as HKL, Fox and to some extent Columbia Tristar deathrebirth as all three release uncut (for the most part) HK titles in far superior AV to the HK version

dvd's & videos of the co's mentioned above that i have rented in the past had cuts, even if minor, there are a few sites that state what has been cut in certain movies
(kill bill has had a few cuts for the oz release from what I have read) [blame the oflc & co's that strip it down for a lower rating]
also i find the hk dvd's i purchase in quite good quality
considering i am *not* purchasing bootlegs
also as i travel there once sometimes even twice per year
i like to pickup what i can as they are all uncut & from $7aud - $20 ($39 - $120 hkd) as our dollar is stronger there i can get more dvd's for less
(ones from mainland china are cut / scenes are changed / unavailable)

Quote:
I'd personally prefer Eastern Eye release DVD's that have not got decent releases as yet (we're in a world of multi-region after all). Titles such as 2000 AD already have excellent releases and as said before R1/R2 titles are not much to ship to Australia (and visa-versa). Lets not forget also all of HKL titles are either R0 or R2/R4 encoded anyway

not everyone would like to import, whether it be by check, money order, mail order, credit card etc..in addition, many might not be able to play discs from the desired region..
as a computer technician, i have repaired numerous amounts of computers that have been affected by worms, trojans & viruses
& if they had of used personal details like their address credit-card number etc. they may have became subject to credit fraud

Also imports are a pain in the arse, try waiting on the day of delivery & ups donít deliver then you call them & they say tomorrow, then they donít come then they come the next day when it is 40 degrees & the driver has no air-conditioning & its in a hot tin-can ups van & after you sign for it & the driver goes on his way the box feels warmish, you open up your precious $120 shenmue game from lik-sang & find the discs are warped to the shape of well something that resembles gumby
Twisted Evil *never again ups you hear me* Twisted Evil
thankfully lik-sang sorted it out & I got another copy through regular post
that got to me safe & sound

Quote:
I'd even think with shipping, the DVD's aren't much more than R4 titles bought while in Australia

i would rather buy titles in australia considering they would cost about the same & i could get it straight away if itís out rather than wait a week for shipping)
also i would rather not import from the uk seeing that so many anime titles & / movies have been butchered coz the censor board finds martial arts weapons, certain violent/sexual scenes & such *offensive*
such as a person having a hole drilled through their hand as punishment for sleeping with the bossís wife
*note to self, must find out the name of that movie it rocked* Smile

even here we have cut up movies & i try to find the uncut wherever possible probably the only one i would get from hkl if i chose to import would be
BRUCE LEE 30TH ANNIVERSARY COMMEMORATIVE 6 DVD BOX SET
(as long as itís uncut) [i believe from memory some of game of death was cut in its pal release]
oh wait hmm i canít unless i play it in my computer
with this 15" monitor my tv's dvd only plays region 1, 3, 4 (it is locked that way)

Quote:
2000AD particularly has a decent release from HKL.
I'm only bringing them up as to give evidence against releasing titles HKL have the rights to (for the most part)

are you currently in the uk or in australia? diff countries diff laws (from what I believe)
i have checked the business registry database
& there is no mention of hkl / hong kong legends or for the fact of the matter Medusa Communications and Marketing Ltd neither any of these has a registered business / entity in Australia therefore their licensing rights are only subject to that of uk's laws & madman should be free to aquire licenses of such titles or they would have little to no titles available for them to produce. licenses that madman cant aquire are for licenses that disney/Miramax 20th century fox, columbia tristar, roadshow etc have, as they have a registered business/entity here in Australia as long as madman dont release their eastern eye title in uk's retail market there wont be any legal trouble & vice versa if hkl were to sell retail here directly from stores madman could take legal action
as they would hold the rights here in Australia but either party can export their titles for private sale to individuals & if one of the co's should kick up a stink & prevent the import/export from happening that would be in direct violation of the free/fair trades act
also as there is an abundance of independent / big film co's releasing the same titles over & over its surprising that everyone is not suing each other

i am also surprised sbs hasnít sued rarekungfumovies.com as they are selling a taping of one armed boxer on their site that has been taped here in oz from sbs Rolling Eyes

i know you meant well
however, mods/admins should be the only ones to tell people off about their formatting,
like i will more than likely to be told off about this post i suppose.

also
i know this is all constructive criticisms
& i have replied back with unholy cynical & somewhat sarcastic criticism(s)
(I can be quite a sarcastic b%#%$#d by nature, too much of that dharia watching those years back I guess)

if a mod/admin feels i stepped the line with this
feel free to flame me, banish me from the boards for all eternity or just chuck a bucket of ice-cold water & unbleached flour over my *hot* head..

sorry if this is all nonsensical & I have rambled a *tad*
I am jotting this down as fast as possible as I have to go out & run server maintenance shortly (well in 12 mins)

also, I know this probably isnít eastern eye related, but it is martial arts type action & roadshow which has the rights to mortal kombat as they released it on video & annihilation on dvd but still after all this time, they havenít bothered to release it on dvd here in oz nor do they seem interested in doing so would it be possible to acquire the license from them? seeing that it has been quite awhile
& i have seen no R4 release as yet & the license for mk1 may have or may be near? ran / running out Confused

degeneration
Doraemon

PostPosted: Fri Jan 30, 2004 10:17 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote
deathrebirth wrote:
Quote:
2000AD particularly has a decent release from HKL.
I'm only bringing them up as to give evidence against releasing titles HKL have the rights to (for the most part)

are you currently in the uk or in australia? diff countries diff laws (from what I believe)
i have checked the business registry database
& there is no mention of hkl / hong kong legends or for the fact of the matter Medusa Communications and Marketing Ltd neither any of these has a registered business / entity in Australia therefore their licensing rights are only subject to that of uk's laws & madman should be free to aquire licenses of such titles or they would have little to no titles available for them to produce. licenses that madman cant aquire are for licenses that disney/Miramax 20th century fox, columbia tristar, roadshow etc have, as they have a registered business/entity here in Australia as long as madman dont release their eastern eye title in uk's retail market there wont be any legal trouble & vice versa if hkl were to sell retail here directly from stores madman could take legal action
as they would hold the rights here in Australia but either party can export their titles for private sale to individuals & if one of the co's should kick up a stink & prevent the import/export from happening that would be in direct violation of the free/fair trades act
also as there is an abundance of independent / big film co's releasing the same titles over & over its surprising that everyone is not suing each other

Think you misunderstood him (either that or I have completely misunderstood everything!).

I think what he was meaning by suggesting Eastern Eye don't release titles HKL have the rights to/released, is that why saturate the market on a film and give one film another good release, when there are loads of films out there which don't have any good releases?

Using 2000AD as the example again. HKL have released a very good DVD of this film. A lot of the HK cinema fans who like this film will have already bought this version, and Madman would have to produce an exceptional DVD to tempt people to change their 2000AD from HKL to Eastern Eye. This will surely result in decreased sales.

If Eastern Eye, however, choose to instead release/aquire the rights to a film which has no decent release anywhere, then all fans who like this film will buy it from EE, as they will have no competition. This should give more sales, and make the film more profitable.

Hope what I've said makes sense, and I did understand what Bradavon was meaning...
deathrebirth
Doraemon

PostPosted: Sat Jan 31, 2004 9:38 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote
from hkl website on 2000AD
Quote:
Will only play on European Region 2 or multi-region DVD players.

does not specify what other regions just says "or multi-region" (which regions or do they mean a region free player"

secondly it would have to be imported

as for not saturating the market
would that not be saying the same for anime?
madman shouldnt release anime
coz its already available in r1 america & everywhere else, so everyone can just import it...

madman please close down your business
no one wants to purchase any R4 dvd's
imports rock Laughing

i thought this was meant to be for suggestions only
seems its going to end up in a flame war about imports, licenses & other garbage

degeneration
Doraemon

PostPosted: Mon Feb 02, 2004 9:47 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote
Doubt it'll be a flame war. To me it is more of a discussion - people putting across points of view, and other people putting across theres.

Oh, another suggestion.

A HK martial arts comedy film which came to mind recently.

No Problem 2 (Mou Man Tai 2). Stars Yuen Biao. About a Japanese man who gets mistaken for a hitman. Very funny, and spoofs lots of other films. Some cool fights too. Has Colin "I appeared in the Matrix sequels" Chou in it too.
deathrebirth
Doraemon

PostPosted: Tue Feb 03, 2004 8:46 am    Post subject: Reply with quote
Quote:
Doubt it'll be a flame war. To me it is more of a discussion - people putting across points of view, and other people putting across theirs

got a point there...
perhaps diff on this forum

ever seen the political forums thats how most flames get started Laughing

No Problem 2 sounds good & one i have not got yet Razz
http://www.hkflix.com/xq/asp/filmID.2744/qx/details.htm

hmmm 1 i have failed to mention Embarassed another i saw on sbs

The Blade
starring: Chiu Man Cheuk, Xiong Xin Xin, Song Lei
director: Tsui Hark
http://www.lovehkfilm.com/reviews/blade.htm
http://www.darkdragonstyle.com/dvds/blade.html
When a master sword-maker adopts the son of a murdered friend, the boy learns the master's craft well. As a young man he learns of his father's death at the hand of a mysterious tatooed killer He takes his father's broken blade and sets out to seek vengeance

----------------------------------------
this week i will be mostly watching
the storm riders
a man called hero
& blue submarine #6
-----------------------------------------

shikon
Lin Minmay

PostPosted: Sun Feb 15, 2004 6:47 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote
I would also like to see Oh Happy Days ( Korean ), also is there a chance that Eastern Eye will release a tv series?
bradavon
Washu Hakubi

PostPosted: Tue Feb 24, 2004 4:13 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote
deathrebirth wrote:
better to be able to see the full html than have it contain a malicious code that cannot be seen when a name contains a link
example it could have a website link then extra code to redirect to another webpage, which can then download a trojan or virus from that site via install on demand if it is enabled or if the user happens to click yes not everyone uses anti-virus / firewalls like they should

No offence but that's just stupid.

You can still see the full link in your browser when it's been formatted with URL tags for a start and secondly the link wouldn't work if it was entered incorrectly. I'm not saying you should post a different link anyway, the link would be identical just formatted correctly.

For example this thread is already messed up as you now have to scroll left and right to read everything, which is annoying and especially for the mods as it is of most importance they are able to read this thread properly so they know what we want.

Don't you think that statement is just a little over the top anyway?

Of course with short urls it isn't a big deal to just paste the link but with long ones shown here it just makes the thread look a mess and therefore hard to read.

I understand you'd prefer to buy locally btw, so would I but if R4 has a better release of a film then I have no problem importing.

degeneration wrote:
Think you misunderstood him (either that or I have completely misunderstood everything!).

Degeneration you've understood exactly what I was getting to.

If Eastern Eye and HKL too for that matter concentrate on DVDs that only have crap or sub-par films then all films will be able to get decent releases instead of some getting decent releases and many left with crap ones.

deathrebirth wrote:
does not specify what other regions just says "or multi-region" (which regions or do they mean a region free player"

Multi-region means region free, they are the same thing.

AFAIK no UK says it's anything other than R2 or R0 (some R0 DVDs even say they are R2) but it doesn't mean it's correct. I think they'd get in trouble if they advertised it was R2 and another region. I'm not sure.

Just like some R1 DVDs are infact R3 too. Jet Li's: The One and Charlie's Angels: Full Throttle spring to mind here.

Here is a review for 2000 AD which says it's R2 and R4, this guy is barely ever wrong about these things:

2000AD HKL R2 dvd review

AFAIK their first DVDs were R0 (Iron Monkey for example definitely is) and all since have been R2/R4.
julian_2501
Doraemon

PostPosted: Thu Feb 26, 2004 6:46 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote
hey
i second Ichi The Killer, Kairo (Pulse), Cure, and 36th Chamber of Shaolin

i would also like too add Suicide Circle
here is a very good review of it
http://www.mandiapple.com/snowblood/suicidecircle.htm

EDIT oh and City on Fire
http://www.imdb.com/title/tt0093435/
Ginbot
Doraemon

PostPosted: Sat Feb 28, 2004 11:57 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote
my two cents...

BIO-ZOMBIE - Hong Kong - Dir: Wilson Yip - http://www.imdb.com/title/tt0277605/

THE STORY OF RICKY aka LAI WONG - Hong Kong - Dir: Nam Nai Choi - http://www.imdb.com/title/tt0102293/
sword
Hajime Saitou

PostPosted: Mon Mar 01, 2004 6:06 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote
hi Im new here so I thought I would list a couple of H.K movies that should be released here in OZ. I understand that Madman cant release Jackie and Jet movies but HKL released a lot of Jackie Chan movies and did a poor job with Police story 2 and My Lucky stars, Chinese ghost story. I just hope we could be able to get r4 PAL with anamorphic widescreen,original soundtrack,and good subs and no cuts. Some movies like
All for the Winner Me Mei Ah screwed with the ending
Out of the dark
forbidden city cop
Front page
Mr.Coconut
Chicken and Duck Talk Not on DVD!
Pedicab driver not available on DVD!
Prison on Fire 1,2
Fist of Fury
Chinese Feast
Bare Footed Kid

bradavon
Washu Hakubi

PostPosted: Tue Mar 02, 2004 1:33 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote
sword I take it you are talkng about the Bruce Lee film ''Fist of Fury''?. I'm just curious.

Decent releases of ''Prison on Fire 1/2'' would be nice and I know many would love a decent release of ''Pedicab Driver'' too. ''Prison on Fire 1/2'' only have dodgy HK releases to my knowledge and ''Pedicab Driver'' has no release period.
Tachikoma
Shiki Tohno

PostPosted: Tue Mar 02, 2004 2:40 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote
Could the mods shorten some of those links, it really screws up the page size.
bradavon
Washu Hakubi

PostPosted: Tue Mar 02, 2004 2:48 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote
Thank you, I'm glad I'm not the only one who this annoys.

Very Happy

URL formatting is here for a reason!
sword
Hajime Saitou

PostPosted: Tue Mar 02, 2004 5:29 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote
to Bradavon
OOPS Shocked I meant to say Fist of fury 1991 Chow Sing Chi
jinsenblade
Mayuko Chigasaki

PostPosted: Fri Mar 05, 2004 12:01 am    Post subject: Reply with quote
Hey guys, I haven't posted much I know.. but your still the first forum I come to when I load up the madboards!!

I watched a really, really great movie tonight on SBS. It was in fact the Thursday night Cult-Movie called

THE YIN-YANG MASTER (OMNIYOJI) (2001)

As two noble families compete for the Heian Emporor's favours, they enlist the Yin-Yang Masters, Seimei and Doson, to further their prospects. But in the quest for power, an unforseen evil takes hold of Doson who now seeks the throne for himself. It is up to Seimei to stop him. Directed by Takita Yojiro and stars Nomura Mansai, Sanada Hiroyuki and Ito Hidkaki.

Apart from what I got off the SBS website that's all I know. The performances by Sanada-san (i think this man rivals kitano-san for quality japanese acting), Hideaki-san and Mansai-san are worth the price of admission alone. Terrific stuff.

EDIT/// OOH! OOH! OOH! They have a sequel too!! Can't wait to see that.
Tachikoma
Shiki Tohno

PostPosted: Fri Mar 05, 2004 12:44 am    Post subject: Reply with quote
Quote:
I watched a really, really great movie tonight on SBS. It was in fact the Thursday night Cult-Movie called

Hahaha, I watched it, too. The special effects were a bit too cheesy, but it was fun. Razz
Zedstar
Madboard Mod

PostPosted: Fri Mar 05, 2004 12:21 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote
Tachikoma wrote:
Could the mods shorten some of those links, it really screws up the page size.

Sorry- ^_^" I actually have a really large monitor with the res set really high, so I didn't notice.

Will go back and edit now.

Also- I would like to add any and all of the Japanese Godzilla movies. I don't think there are enough nice releases of men in big rubber suits destroying models of Tokyo and other cities.

^_^ Zedstar
Tachikoma
Shiki Tohno

PostPosted: Fri Mar 05, 2004 1:03 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote
Quote:
Sorry- ^_^" I actually have a really large monitor with the res set really high, so I didn't notice.

Will go back and edit now.
Thanks. Cool
Zedstar
Madboard Mod

PostPosted: Fri Mar 05, 2004 1:11 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote
Now that I've done some modship duties, I'd like to further recommend "2002" which I finally saw last week.

Terribly fun and amusing movie which focuses on a part of the police force (2002 division) that deals with exorcising evil spirits. Lots of nice fight scenes, good special effects, fun acting and enjoyable scripting. It's a supernatural buddy movie, with cool fight scenes.

Suffice to say that I really enjoyed it.

^_^ Zedstar
bradavon
Washu Hakubi

PostPosted: Fri Mar 05, 2004 1:23 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote
Thanks. Deathrebirth won't be happy he's the one who posted all those long links Very Happy (mostly).

AFAIK from general consensus 2002 isn't all that good. I'm only mentioning it from a acquisition point of view.
sword
Hajime Saitou

PostPosted: Fri Mar 05, 2004 3:51 pm    Post subject: 2002 Reply with quote
Has Danielle Graham been in any other films besides 2002. That was the worst dubbing ever for her character! Sam Lee is only in it for about 10 minutes also.
bradavon
Washu Hakubi

PostPosted: Fri Mar 05, 2004 3:54 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote
The Six Days music video, directed by Wong Kar-Wai:

http://www.imdb.com/name/nm1102620/

So basically no. Why, is she a looker? Cool
sword
Hajime Saitou

PostPosted: Fri Mar 05, 2004 4:30 pm    Post subject: 2002 Reply with quote
Hey Bradavon cripes that was a fast reply.
Thanks for the info.
Quote:
Why is she a looker? Cool

Yes, but I am not suprised she has not been in any other films Very Happy
bradavon
Washu Hakubi

PostPosted: Fri Mar 05, 2004 4:33 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote
Why do you say that?
Zedstar
Madboard Mod

PostPosted: Fri Mar 05, 2004 11:32 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote
Please do NOT chat in this thread. If you feel like asking questions, or discussing something further, create a general thread about that particular title/issue.

This is to keep this topicopen and easily readable by the very busy Madman Staff. If you choose to chat, I shall delete those comments that I feel are going too far.

>_< Zedstar- cranky moderator type.
soma
Minawa Andou

PostPosted: Sat Mar 06, 2004 6:16 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote
CHUNGKING EXPRESS - Wong Kar Wai [Hong Kong]
FALLEN ANGELS - Wong Kar Wai [Hong Kong]

Saw these again recently, so impressed every single time I see them. Would make killer additions to the Eastern Eye catalogue & I for one would be first in line to purchase them!

HERO [Hong Kong] - I realise Miramax has the license to this BUT who knows, perhaps you can find a way around this? You seem to be doing alright with the Ghibli & Kurosawa titles. In any case, only saw this this week and I was absolutely blown away! Owns Crouching Tiger by far. Actually I'm really shocked this hasn't been released here - not even in independent cinemas. It's a great story, big budget, great special effects & cinematography, star power, etc..... hmmmm. Please add my vote for this!

LONE WOLF & CUB SERIES
Add a vote for these too...
bradavon
Washu Hakubi

PostPosted: Sun Mar 07, 2004 6:14 am    Post subject: Reply with quote
Hero has only been released in Asia in cinemas. It's eventually getting a US release in June (about 18 months after it was released in China) and I've no idea when the UK is getting it.

You're right it is a great film but I can't see Madman (or anyone else) getting this at all. Until Miramax decide to release it in Australia or anywhere else we'll have to make do with the Asian DVDs (which have English subs at least). I'm of course talking about the shorter theatrical cut and not the Director's Cut which as yet hasn't been released in cinemas period (it's 20 minutes longer and Miramax is pretending it doens't exist).

With the exception of 'In the Mood for Love' all of 'Wong Kar-Wai's' films need decent releases and all are pretty dreadful (okay the R1 of 'Chungking Express' is not to bad). So basically I second his films being released from Madman.
h8sh8
Doraemon

PostPosted: Wed Mar 10, 2004 9:45 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote
h8sh8 wrote:

<snip>
Tetsuo - The Iron Man (1988)
- dir: Shinya Tsukamoto
- imdb: www.imdb.com/title/tt0096251/
- dvds: www.dvdcompare.net/comparisons/film_results_page.php?fid=2363

I see EzyDVD have this and Tetsuo II as being released on 30th April by Shock (http://www.ezydvd.com.au/item.zml/226466). However, I saw on the Perfect Blue dvd a picture of a Madman release of Tetsuo II, did this come out and is it still available? If not what happened with Shock now having the license?

Quote:

Kairo (Pulse) (2001)
- dir: Kiyoshi Kurosawa
- imdb: http://www.imdb.com/title/tt0286751/
- dvds: only two I know of - http://tinyurl.com/2plnh & http://tinyurl.com/29832

After finally getting the chance to see this one (after my first post), just want to mention it again as a suggestion - I thought is was a great movie. It's too bad the studio pulled out of Wes Craven's remake of this saying it was too similar to Ring, because it's nothing like it, and much better than Ring in my opinion.

Quote:

Versus (2001)
- dir: Ryuhei Kitamura
- imdb: http://www.imdb.com/title/tt0275773/
- dvds: www.dvdcompare.net/comparisons/film_results_page.php?fid=2567

Sorry, I forgot you guys are doing this one already Smile
Thordis
Doraemon

PostPosted: Fri Mar 12, 2004 2:38 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote
Zedstar wrote:
I believe that pretty much ALL of Jackie's back catalogue has been taken.

Does that include Snake in Eagle's Shadow? If not, I nominate it.
Sac wrote:
GunHed (A japanese film about a guy with a transforming tank. This was actually released in Australia on video, buy Siren, but I only ever saw one copy ANYWHERE here in Tassie, and by the time I managed to scrape together 30 bucks, it was gone Sad )

I saw that one, Madman'd do a better job of it than Siren.
sword wrote:
Forbidden City Cop

My brother loves that one, so I'd better second it.
Eastern Condors sounds good too.

Don't kill me for be clueless if they are availible, but- any of the Gamera movies?
Kei
Shiina Tamai

PostPosted: Fri Mar 12, 2004 5:20 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote
Zedstar wrote:

Does that mean there is absolutely no chance of Shaolin Temple 1 and 2? ****.

jinsenblade wrote:

Yes. Yes. Yes.

And one more "yes" to make my point.
Tachikoma
Shiki Tohno

PostPosted: Fri Mar 12, 2004 6:27 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote
Quote:
Does that include Snake in Eagle's Shadow? If not, I nominate it.

Snake in Eagle's Shadow is available on R4 DVD. It's released by Columbia Tri-star, and bundled with Drunken Master. Both DVD transfers are excellent (and UNCUT), although the chinese audio on Drunken Master is patched up with english dialogue (apparently some chinese dialogue went missing). You should get it.
julian_2501
Doraemon

PostPosted: Fri Mar 12, 2004 9:47 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote
keitaro_urashima wrote:
Zedstar wrote:

if youre interested in Shaolin Temple, i bought it today from HMV for only $20. its by siren, and av channel. im sure they could order it in for you.
Slykura
Madman Staff

PostPosted: Fri Mar 12, 2004 11:38 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote
AV Channel is no longer affliated with Siren. Please do not confuse the two companies.
bradavon
Washu Hakubi

PostPosted: Sat Mar 13, 2004 9:58 am    Post subject: Reply with quote
You guys are lucky if CT have the rights (like they do on R1) for SITES and DM. Both were created using new high definition transfers and are supposed to be the best versions out there.

Except possibly DM of course which as said earlier has some missing Cantonese (IMO like HKL when they are working with missing dialogue they should have created new Cantonese for the missing parts but that's just me).

Mei Ah (a HK based company) are remastering loads of their DVDs and have already released SITES, and later on DM. I don't see the point waiting for SITES as Mei Ah aren't CT but DM it's probably worth waiting.

DM comes with a commentary and SITES only some trailers. Personally if it were me, I'd get SITES on R1 or R4 and DM I'd wait for Mei Ah in Hong Kong to release them.

HKL have the UK rights and currently DM is cropped to 1.78:1 and only in Mandarin, SITES is cut. So neither are perfect. HKL are set to release Platinum 2 Disc releases of these films which when released will probably wipe the floor with the competition but as yet no one knows when they are actually going to be released (they've both been delayed many times).

See here, SITES:

http://www.dvdcompare.net/comparisons/film_results_page.php?fid=2064

DM: http://www.dvdcompare.net/comparisons/film_results_page.php?fid=2122
Yi-Long
Doraemon

PostPosted: Sat Mar 13, 2004 11:56 am    Post subject: Reply with quote
julian_2501 wrote:
keitaro_urashima wrote:
Zedstar wrote:

if youre interested in Shaolin Temple, i bought it today from HMV for only $20. its by siren, and av channel. im sure they could order it in for you.

Ehm... just order the newly remastered (16;9) R3 release from DDDhouse or yesasia or whatever instead, as it has a better videoquality then the R4 release....

Can EE releae the 2 Lady Snowblood movies, as i have been hearing great things about them.
Zatoichi, Lone Wolf and Cub, Samurai 1,2, and 3.... ... I'd love to see all of those in great quality transfers Smile
It's so nice to see that japanese cinematography on these moveis was already so damn good back in the 50's, 60's and 70's , that they still look great today. Real innovative use of the camera.
Kei
Shiina Tamai

PostPosted: Sun Mar 14, 2004 10:14 am    Post subject: Reply with quote
Warm Water Under a Red Bridge (Japan)

I saw this on SBS a few weeks ago, and I thought it was great. Please get it.
thunderchild
Doraemon

PostPosted: Thu Apr 01, 2004 10:17 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote
I'm fairly certain these haven't been mentioned but if so, I apologise in advance.

The Bride with White Hair
Storm Riders
The Emperor and The Assassin
Moon Warriors
The Duel.

Ultimately though, I'm not sure I'm bothered by what Eastern Eye chooses to publish, my interest lies in the quality of the product be it in the transfer or the sound.

Reasonably shoddy DVD's can be bought of almost any movie, the quality and attention to detail of the final product is the selling factor for me. For example the decision to go for the 206 minute restored version of Seven Samurai was vitally important in my purchasing. I already owned a copy of the movie, but it wasn't a -decent- copy.

It would be great and worth the extra cost (to me as a consumer) to have an Australian company acknowledged world wide for the quality of it's Asian Cinema DVD productions.

-thunderchild
Taura
Hajime Saitou

PostPosted: Sat Apr 03, 2004 8:41 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote
what about "The Eye"

I would love to see that Smile
bradavon
Washu Hakubi

PostPosted: Sun Apr 04, 2004 1:05 am    Post subject: Reply with quote
Taura wrote:
what about "The Eye"

I would love to see that Smile

EE already have rights to The Eye.

If you can't wait there is already a decent Region 1 release. I'm now waiting for EE's DVD though.
katohanz
Washu Hakubi

PostPosted: Wed Apr 14, 2004 10:29 pm    Post subject: Battle Royale Reply with quote
how about Battle Royale, Taxi all those Beat Takeshi films?

Page 3 of 10

Jump to: