Usergroups  ·  Register ·    Profile  ·  Log in to check your private messages  ·   Log in     

question about reflections (spoiler)

question about reflections (spoiler)
Author
Sylia Stingray

PostPosted: Thu Nov 13, 2003 2:48 pm    Post subject: question about reflections (spoiler) Reply with quote
just watched reflections but im wondering what was it that kenshin died from and how did he get it?
sweetxia
Doraemon

PostPosted: Thu Nov 13, 2003 3:15 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote
Not sure. And I don't think I wanna know *cries when thinking of Ken-kun dying* *sniffle* I think it's something like leprosy (but at least Kenshin didn't have any limbs falling off).

Angel Dust
Degenerate
Tina Foster

PostPosted: Thu Nov 13, 2003 3:28 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote
I think it was TB (turburculouscious sp??) but I'm not a doctor Razz

And as far as I'm concerned, Kenshin didn't die of illness. He lived a happy and long life together with his wife and son, ie the way the manga finished.
mangadude
Isamu Dyson

PostPosted: Thu Nov 13, 2003 5:17 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote
Go the spoiler warnings!
Requiem
Linn Syun-Rock Dreu Haider Jinto

PostPosted: Thu Nov 13, 2003 5:44 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote
Degenerate wrote:
I think it was TB (turburculouscious sp??) but I'm not a doctor Razz

And as far as I'm concerned, Kenshin didn't die of illness. He lived a happy and long life together with his wife and son, ie the way the manga finished.

He did, really. Think about it - he was about 30 at the end of the manga, and kenji was what, 15 in reflections? Making Kenshin 45. Yeah, this might be a bit low for the period, but probably not by much. People's lifespans didn't really begin shooting up till the 20th century.
merric
Shinji Ikari

PostPosted: Thu Nov 13, 2003 6:11 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote
Changed the thread title to get rid of the spoiler.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail AIM Address MSN Messenger ICQ Number
BeAf@Home
Shinobu Nagumo

PostPosted: Mon Nov 17, 2003 2:52 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote
i thought it was tb also
Nitehuntress
Doraemon

PostPosted: Sun Nov 23, 2003 7:45 am    Post subject: Reply with quote
Actually Kenshin died from all of his battles. When he kept on fighting he got hurt on most of his fights especially with Shisho and after that fierce battle his body couldn't take it anymore. It was too wounded and weak. His body just collapsed. *cries* Sad
Nitehuntress
Doraemon

PostPosted: Sun Nov 23, 2003 7:45 am    Post subject: Reply with quote
Actually Kenshin died from all of his battles. When he kept on fighting he got hurt on most of his fights especially with Shisho and after that fierce battle his body couldn't take it anymore. It was too wounded and weak. His body just collapsed. *cries* Sad
Degenerate
Tina Foster

PostPosted: Sun Nov 23, 2003 12:39 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote
Nitehuntress wrote:

ahh... you didn't notice all the scabs, sores and marks covering his whole body? the same disease that he passed onto Kawrou(sp?) - which by the way is so un-kenshin like, but I won't go into how Reflections contradicts the Kenshin story.
Personbot
Cagalli Yula Attha

PostPosted: Sun Nov 23, 2003 8:43 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote
The theory is he died of TB.

He got it because what ever idiot wrote Seisouhen decided to go for a really stupid contradictory tear jerker story instead of the proper ending of the manga.
Miyuki
Minawa Andou

PostPosted: Sun Nov 23, 2003 9:18 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote
Degenerate wrote:
Nitehuntress wrote:

ahh... you didn't notice all the scabs, sores and marks covering his whole body? the same disease that he passed onto Kawrou(sp?) - which by the way is so un-kenshin like, but I won't go into how Reflections contradicts the Kenshin story.

Haha very true ^^;; Also you have to take into account the scene that Megumi comments on how Kaoru got the disease from Kenshin. Tuberculosis is the disease that was most rampant through that time period in Japan esspecially in areas of poverty and poor sanitation. The rash on Kenshin and Kaoru's skin is due to the body's allergic reaction to the Tubercle bacteria. It's not an airborne disease so you have to be close (ie intimate) with a person to catch it or eat food from animals infected with TB (which I think is how Kenshin got it in Reflections). There was no testing, drugs or treatment for TB until the early 1900's beyond Kenshin's time period.

Oh yeah the manga ending was much better in my opinion.
Wandering to the edge of time.
Shin Kugai
Washu Hakubi

PostPosted: Tue Nov 25, 2003 5:45 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote
Tuberculosis would explain the coughing up of blood but the markings on his body... I don't know what disease that may be...
Typhoid or Cholera where the only other major diseases plaguing Japan aroun this time but the symptons of these could not explain the sores.
A mild dose of Leprosy could be it... that would also explain the living in isolation part...
Akrapovic65R
Doraemon

PostPosted: Wed Dec 17, 2003 5:29 am    Post subject: Reply with quote
As a great fan of Kenshin, it was quite disheartening to watch the "reflection" episode .....

*sob sob*
akemi
Doraemon

PostPosted: Mon Dec 22, 2003 7:39 am    Post subject: kenshin dies of disease Reply with quote
I think the purpose of the story showing one of Kenshin's comrades in Trust and Betrayal as having tuberculosis was a hint that he will later on also die from it. That particular character also died on his horse just before he was able to see the new meiji era. He was always thinking of his partner (uno) and the same symptoms as kenshin (coughing blood) although he did not have any marks on his skin. I've noticed that some people mention he might have had leprosy. It could be that he had both. but i'm only guessing. But what we all Kenshingumi fans know for sure is it was caused by him training and fighting with Hiten mitsurugi (which were designed for big men like his master hiko). As we all know, Kenshin was a little guy (that's why he's swift). And gradually it forced to deteriorate his body which could take no further strain. And therefore that is why his body was more succeptible to diseases. *cries* wah wah why kenshin? why?
Personbot
Cagalli Yula Attha

PostPosted: Mon Dec 22, 2003 8:33 am    Post subject: Re: kenshin dies of disease Reply with quote
akemi wrote:
I think the purpose of the story showing one of Kenshin's comrades in Trust and Betrayal as having tuberculosis was a hint that he will later on also die from it. That particular character also died on his horse just before he was able to see the new meiji era.

I can't think of his name right now but he was a real historical figure who did die of TB. So Kenshin getting TB has nothing to do with that.
akemi
Doraemon

PostPosted: Mon Dec 22, 2003 9:02 am    Post subject: Reply with quote
hhmm i dont think u understood what i meant. what i was trying to say is that it was a common disease and from what i feel is that they seemed to emphasise his tb and the sadness of how he and uno could not unite (can't remember his name either). which is also what they did with kenshin. I don't know if it's just me. But for some reason that man with the tb seemed to affect me when i watched trust and betrayal and later found out Kenshin suffers the same fate at Reflection.
Requiem
Linn Syun-Rock Dreu Haider Jinto

PostPosted: Mon Dec 22, 2003 11:06 am    Post subject: Re: kenshin dies of disease Reply with quote
Personbot wrote:
I can't think of his name right now but he was a real historical figure who did die of TB. So Kenshin getting TB has nothing to do with that.

Katagi.

I think that the strain the hiten mitsurugi style put on kenshins body weakened his immune system too much. Therefore it was easier for him to catch things.
Degenerate
Tina Foster

PostPosted: Mon Dec 22, 2003 12:45 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote
akemi wrote:
But for some reason that man with the tb seemed to affect me when i watched trust and betrayal and later found out Kenshin suffers the same fate at Reflection.

Kenshin does not suffer the same fate, he lives happily ever after.

So sayeth Nobuhiro Watsuki. Smile
akemi
Doraemon

PostPosted: Thu Jan 01, 2004 6:09 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote
Actually it depends which ever after u r talking about whether its the manga or the ova.

THE FOLLOWING PARAGRAPH IS A SPOILER: READ AT YOUR OWN RISK

In the manga he does live happily after and that is how it ended. Whereas in the ova he died discontent with the world (along with the disease) that is why he continually left Kaoru, to find peace. Until he worn himself out and died resting on her lap.
Personbot
Cagalli Yula Attha

PostPosted: Thu Jan 01, 2004 6:56 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote
akemi wrote:
Actually it depends which ever after u r talking about whether its the manga or the ova.

The manga is the true ending since Nobuhiro Watsuki wrote it and the ova is a load of propaganda because it was written by someone who obviously missed the entire point of the series.
Blue Storm
Doraemon

PostPosted: Sun Mar 21, 2004 5:40 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote
I think the ending of the reflections has more relevence to the themes of RK than the manga did. In the manga Kenshin may have lived happily ever after, but in reflections he didn't die by the sword and died as Shinta the man, rather than Kenshin the swordsman. A fate that he was trying to obtain and what all adversaries said he could not do.

The whole point of RK was Kenshin trying to atone for his past, and in the OVA he pretty much did that.

Page 1 of 1

Jump to: