Usergroups  ·  Register ·    Profile  ·  Log in to check your private messages  ·   Log in     

What do you think of Madman as a company?

Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3  Next
What do you think of Madman as a company?
Author
Shinobu Nagumo

PostPosted: Tue Apr 13, 2004 6:35 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote
mib wrote:
I think Madman is a great company. I think they'd be better if they had some decent competition though. It's a bit sad that the US can manage something like 10 anime DVD companies and we can only support one, even with the same number of titles available.

- mib

I think its more what the market can bare. Look at the amount of titles per month that madman are releasing, and its nearly the same as the big 3 american companies, any other company just wont be able to compete (look at the uk market, 2-3 firms trying to sell dvds and yet no company is at the same size as madman yet)
Issy
Mint Blancmanche

PostPosted: Tue Apr 13, 2004 9:29 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote
Shinannth wrote:
Issy wrote:
Shinannth wrote:
Issy, stop deliberately double and triple posting. As I warned you before, I'm just going to delete your additional posts.

......its just that when i do that i am refering to different people with quotes ........is there a way to to refer to different people using quotes in the same post...............im sorry to annoy you Shinnanth

You can use the 'edit' button, then you can copy the text that you want to quote from the topic review and use the quote tags.

oh............ok thanks Shinnanth Smile

and sorry for troubling you..........i hope you will forgive me.

Very Happy

PROJECT A-KO ^_^

AND IT FINALLY COMES THANKYOU MADMAN U R THE BEST...

ISSY IS HAPPY
Tularis
Washu Hakubi

PostPosted: Wed Apr 14, 2004 11:14 am    Post subject: Reply with quote
Madman are great, but they would be even better if they depended less on the US companies. Its good to see with the Saikano license they went directly to Japan and so forth but it would be good to see some releases in the future come out around the same time as the ones in the US - or even before. Overall though, I've had no problem with their prices or the quality of the releases and the selection of titles is good.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website MSN Messenger ICQ Number
Schroedinger's_Cat
Tina Foster

PostPosted: Wed Apr 14, 2004 11:31 am    Post subject: Reply with quote
It would be good if Madman didn't have to depend on the American companies, but unless they want to dub the shows themselves, Madman doesn't have a choice in the matter.

MMGohan: The real issue isn't that Siren's releases have errors, although they do. The reason that they are disliked as much as they are is largely because they don't present their product very well.
The covers are unappealing, they don't include any extras, the episodes are edited together so that you can't jump past the intro like you can with Madman's (or anyone else's for that matter) dvds.
Their pathetic inability to meet their own release schedule is also annoying. I'm still waiting on Vol 6 of X tv which was slated for early March.
Issy
Mint Blancmanche

PostPosted: Thu Apr 15, 2004 12:19 am    Post subject: Reply with quote
Schroedinger's_Cat wrote:
It would be good if Madman didn't have to depend on the American companies

yes i agree on that one........ Wink

PROJECT A-KO ^_^

ISSY IS HAPPY
Trunk's Girl
Madboard Mod

PostPosted: Thu Apr 15, 2004 2:07 am    Post subject: Reply with quote
Their pathetic inability to meet their own release schedule is also annoying. I'm still waiting on Vol 6 of X tv which was slated for early March.

Are you sure it wasn't just your store? Because I've seen Vol 6 on the shelf at my local JB Hi-Fi.
Jeranon
Ryuk

PostPosted: Thu Apr 15, 2004 5:18 am    Post subject: Reply with quote
As a company? I'd say B-.

The level of technical problems are low enough for most people to not care, the distribution is strong, they are expanding into other markets with Eastern Eye and Print and who knows what else in a gradual manner, they price what the market and retailers will bear, they ensure that the titles they choose to release suits the Australian market, they release "current" titles to ride the current buzz, they attend conventions, they try to bring anime movies to Australian cinemas, they are concerned with improving their processes, they maintain strong relations with various US companies especially ADV, they are preemptive by going direct to Japan, and they generally listen to their customer base (the hardcore ones at least).

What could be better? Marketing and advertising, especially for cinema releases - Australia is not just Sydney and Melbourne no matter what the rest of the world thinks. Deadlines are hit and miss (Madman's humanity is irrelevent). Customer service is below average for most of us since their major customers are resellers.

I think Madman are happy where they are and will not improve (nor worsen) until either Siren stops crawling and starts walking or another party enters the picture with a loud bang.
Schroedinger's_Cat
Tina Foster

PostPosted: Thu Apr 15, 2004 9:37 am    Post subject: Reply with quote
Trunk's Girl wrote:

Are you sure it wasn't just your store? Because I've seen Vol 6 on the shelf at my local JB Hi-Fi.

I don't think it was volume six, It might just have had the same cover as the american vol 6 release. Siren sent me an e-mail yesterday saying that vol 6 should be out next week.

Nigel Rennard wrote:

Hi Jon,

X vol 6 is released next week .
-------------------------------------------------------------------
Sent: Wednesday, 14 April 2004 11:22 AM
To: info@sirenvisual.com.au
Subject: Release dates

Hi,
Is there a firm release date for X volume 6 yet?

Regards
Jon Wilton

Lynky
Nia Teppelin

PostPosted: Thu Apr 15, 2004 9:44 am    Post subject: Reply with quote
On my forum I have members from all around the world and most of them find it hard to get anime and they'd KILL to be able to have a company like Madman Entertainment in their country. The people bitching about Madman's products not being perfect and all that should take a look at countries with anime fans who get jack all money and be thankful. DAMMIT! THERE'S A LITTLE BOY IN BRAZIL WHO'S CRYING OUT FOR MORE DECENT ANIME AND YOU COMPLAIN ABOUT LITTLE TINY DVD GLITCHES WHEN WE GET PLENTY OF ANIME!! lol only muckin around and being dramatical, hush, hush, all quietened down now... Very Happy

The point is, we have Madman, we get lots of anime coming in every month and it's never going to stop because the demand gets bigger and bigger and things will improve and our set of standards will get higher as we expect more from this company who is trying to meet our demands as best they can. If it wasn't for Madman I wouldn't have such a large DVD collection and I'd be like that that "little boy in brazil" who gets jack all anime and has to download his anime off the net because he's that desperate.
Issy
Mint Blancmanche

PostPosted: Thu Apr 15, 2004 1:09 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote
Jeranon wrote:

The level of technical problems are low enough for most people to not care, the distribution is strong, they are expanding into other markets with Eastern Eye and Print and who knows what else in a gradual manner, they price what the market and retailers will bear, they ensure that the titles they choose to release suits the Australian market, they release "current" titles to ride the current buzz, they attend conventions, they try to bring anime movies to Australian cinemas, they are concerned with improving their processes, they maintain strong relations with various US companies especially ADV, they are preemptive by going direct to Japan, and they generally listen to their customer base (the hardcore ones at least).

What could be better? Marketing and advertising, especially for cinema releases - Australia is not just Sydney and Melbourne no matter what the rest of the world thinks. Deadlines are hit and miss (Madman's humanity is irrelevent). Customer service is below average for most of us since their major customers are resellers.

I think Madman are happy where they are and will not improve (nor worsen) until either Siren stops crawling and starts walking or another party enters the picture with a loud bang.

I agree with pretty much everything you said Jeranon Very Happy

probrably i would give them a b Embarassed

PROJECT A-KO ^_^

ISSY IS HAPPY
Sandbelt
Lin Minmay

PostPosted: Thu Apr 15, 2004 8:54 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote
I rate them LEMON TANG
Mattos
Spaurh Aron Sekpadao Letopanyu Peneju

PostPosted: Thu Apr 15, 2004 9:42 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote
Well as companies go madman is a very good one. Very punctual on bringing its merchandise out and usually informs its customers about any hold ups or delays that might be happening. On that note i would rate them with an A-.
Issy
Mint Blancmanche

PostPosted: Fri Apr 16, 2004 8:33 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote
Sandbelt wrote:
I rate them LEMON TANG

what do you mean Confused

PROJECT A-KO ^_^

ISSY IS HAPPY
Crystal_kitten16
Hajime Saitou

PostPosted: Mon May 03, 2004 1:14 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote
madman is releasing quality dvd titles every month.

i have seen the lists from madboarders about how they will go broke and i need to geta second job cause there are so many dvds i want this month

they have an extensive range of titles that suit just about everyone

Why r people complaining??

Hooray for madman keep up the good work?
oogi2000
Eikichi Onizuka

PostPosted: Mon May 03, 2004 3:08 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote
Quote:
Why r people complaining??

I complain as their replacement system is so undermanaged and ad hoc it is not funny.

It took, for example, 5 weeks for Zorin to receive his replacement Bebop DVD 1 and 4. DVD 1 was correct, but the replacement DVD 4 was the same buggered one with the audio dropout. He emailed back, and got promptly told it was the correct version, and it was his player's fault. Zorin has tried to explain the situation, but it has now been excess of 12 weeks now waiting for a correct replacement.

Considering that ADV Films sent him a replacement version of Najica from the US within 2 weeks...

Madman do some great releases, that is true. But their replacement strategy, especially for those who cannot simply drop on by to get a correct one, sucks.
madmangohan
Noooooooooooooooo

PostPosted: Tue May 04, 2004 9:18 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote
It's apart of Madman that stills suffers. It's strange how they could get something as simple as recieving a problem disc, switching it with the good copy, and sending it back wrong, or let it take so long to do.
It's an area that just a little work done to it would do alot in the long run.

Luckily, i haven't needed to send anything back as the discs that have errors are really minor (love hina vol 2 conversion and read or die subtitle missing). I really wouldn't bother to do it. Knowing me, i'd wait to a replacement was put in EB and just buy a new copy if they wouldn't let me exchange. Sending a disc in and not knowing exactly when i'll see it again just isn't worth it. Hope it something Madman looks into.

Anime News Network Australia
Dizrythmia
Misa Amane

PostPosted: Wed May 05, 2004 2:37 am    Post subject: Reply with quote
Hence is why I've held off sending my buggered DBZ DVDs back. It was a nightmare waiting 18 months for the remaster. From what I've heard I could be waiting another 18 just to get them back!!!!
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website MSN Messenger ICQ Number
don1
Hajime Saitou

PostPosted: Wed May 05, 2004 11:09 am    Post subject: Reply with quote
That mib character is right. MM is currently basically sitting on a monopoly whichever way you look at it. Day 1 of economics is monopolies lead to overpricing ($20 for an empty box, $35 for single series dvds). I think MM generally release a superior product, and Im sure they are performing very well as a company (monopolies tend to do that), but I think its really completly unquestionable that the best thing for us (the consumer) is some competition.
Slykura
Madman Staff

PostPosted: Wed May 05, 2004 11:50 am    Post subject: Reply with quote
Pleaes note that once all of the series' that are priced at $35 per volume have finished that future series titles are all $29.95 per volume. (except for some ovas and movies)
Requiem
Linn Syun-Rock Dreu Haider Jinto

PostPosted: Wed May 05, 2004 11:54 am    Post subject: Reply with quote
Which is also the same, if not cheaper, than most dvds on the market, anime or no.
Schroedinger's_Cat
Tina Foster

PostPosted: Wed May 05, 2004 12:10 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote
Requiem wrote:
Which is also the same, if not cheaper, than most dvds on the market, anime or no.

That it is. Most new release movies sit at between $29.95 and $39.95. Since I pay $24.95 for most of my anime dvds, I'm really not complaining.

Competition could mean that some lesser known/less popular series could get released, but I don't know if the Australian market can sustain more than one large company. It probably is, but I don't have the data to know.
Issy
Mint Blancmanche

PostPosted: Wed May 05, 2004 1:45 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote
Slykura wrote:
Pleaes note that once all of the series' that are priced at $35 per volume have finished that future series titles are all $29.95 per volume. (except for some ovas and movies)

Shocked

holy cow.............thats new to me.....

has that been like that for ages or has that just changed. Confused

PROJECT A-KO ^_^

ISSY IS HAPPY
Requiem

PostPosted: Wed May 05, 2004 2:19 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote
Noir and RahXephon were the last of the $35ers, from memory.
Issy
Mint Blancmanche

PostPosted: Wed May 05, 2004 2:21 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote
Crying or Very sad Crying or Very sad

why Rahxephon

why oh why Crying or Very sad

PROJECT A-KO ^_^

ISSY IS HAPPY
Slykura
Madman Staff

PostPosted: Wed May 05, 2004 3:17 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote
Issy wrote:
Crying or Very sad Crying or Very sad

why Rahxephon

why oh why Crying or Very sad

How many times do i have to tell you about these type of posts Issy? I'm just going to delete them from now on.
Gouki
Vanilla H

PostPosted: Wed May 05, 2004 3:45 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote
I also join in the rating of a B. Possibly a B+.

I like the anme they release. I've never had a problem with my discs. Tne only time I had trouble with customer service was over the BGC2040 OST. And that was because it took a month to get to my place. I realyl didn't care in the end, as long as I got it.

The niche branching is good to see. Remember: Real men read shoujo. Wink

I'd still like to see a few more retro titles released (BGC2032 and Nadia Secret of the Blue Water), but for now I'm quite content with what they've released. And anyway, I need to finish about four series. So it's probably for the best.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website Yahoo Messenger MSN Messenger
Tularis
Washu Hakubi

PostPosted: Wed May 05, 2004 4:19 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote
I was actually under the impression that in the US their anime dvds cost forty bucks Australian retail. Naturally anyone ordering Region 1 is mad to pay full retail price but still, it shows that Madman dvds aren't really overpriced at all.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website MSN Messenger ICQ Number
Schroedinger's_Cat
Tina Foster

PostPosted: Wed May 05, 2004 4:28 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote
Tularis wrote:
I was actually under the impression that in the US their anime dvds cost forty bucks Australian retail. Naturally anyone ordering Region 1 is mad to pay full retail price but still, it shows that Madman dvds aren't really overpriced at all.

$40?

I only paid $28 per volume of Ai Yori Aoshi

gouki wrote:
The niche branching is good to see. Remember: Real men read [url=http://www.animenewsnetwork.com/encyclopedia/lexicon.php?id=3]shoujo.

So very true. Go Cardcaptor Sakura!
Tularis
Washu Hakubi

PostPosted: Wed May 05, 2004 4:34 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote
But thats what I meant; no one pays retail price when ordering from america. Its like hardly anyone pays retail here either; they either go to JB or order through FBO or one of the various other places. I just checked and Ai Yori Aoshi is 41.67 retail - thats in Australian. Thats ten dollars more then Madman would probably charge for it if they released it over here.

So pretty much what I am saying is, the claim that Madman dvds are overpriced is pretty much wrong as compared to the US they are cheaper, where there are so many more anime disturbution companies operating.
Jam
Washu Hakubi

PostPosted: Sat May 08, 2004 10:54 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote
just found out about the $35 to $29.95 which is sooooo good!

Bitter because I just love RahXephon and had to get it....

Anywayz, madman is doing a gr8 job bringing people down here in Australia all this anime! Hopefully as MM grows from us anime addicts chipping in so much cash evry month to buy this stuff, that you'll be able to grow, run more efficiently and cost-effectively!

meaning, Give us MORE larger ranges of [anime] titles every month!
Release them closer and closer to their original release dates!(from the US or Japan, whichever the licensing is taken from, hopefully Japan, sif listen to the crappy english dubbing which is most anime dubbings)
And sell them at cheaper and cheaper prices!(joking... haha... >_>)
Dizrythmia
Misa Amane

PostPosted: Sun May 09, 2004 1:10 am    Post subject: Reply with quote
Quote:
the claim that Madman dvds are overpriced is pretty much wrong as compared to the US they are cheaper,

OK. Let's check out some prices from DVD Pacific shall we??

Sailor Moon Geneon releases (Movies R, S & Super S, & the S & Super S series) all $17.81AU (Bargain)
Dragonball sagas all $35.29AU (Slightly undercutting EzyDVD for Madman releases)
Ranma box sets season 4 & 5 (5 DVDs with 24 episodes) $105.97AU & $106AU respectively
Chobits $29AU except for the last DVD "Chat room" which is only $20AU
Dragonball GT all $22.24AU
Magical Shopping Arcade Abenobashi $24.07AU
Street Fighter 2 V box set (4 DVDs with 29 Episodes) $72.39AU
Pokemon Johto League Champions volumes 1-7 (up to 10 eps a DVD) $17-$18AU

So I think I'm making my point here. Importing is cheaper depending on where you shop. Yes you have to pay postage, however if you buy in bulk like me then even with the postage costs you are coming out ahead. Plus you have the benefit of buying anime not available in AU.
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website MSN Messenger ICQ Number
Requiem

PostPosted: Sun May 09, 2004 8:52 am    Post subject: Reply with quote
Dizrythmia wrote:

Sailor Moon Geneon releases (Movies R, S & Super S, & the S & Super S series) all $17.81AU (Bargain)

Not even released here, but you may have a point.

Quote:

Dragonball sagas all $35.29AU (Slightly undercutting EzyDVD for Madman releases)

By a whole $1.66

Quote:

Ranma box sets season 4 & 5 (5 DVDs with 24 episodes) $105.97AU & $106AU respectively

Again, not even released here, but thats very close the the price JBs charge for things like Martian Successor Nadesico, which is a box with _more_ dvds and _more_ episodes.

Quote:

Is the the r1 or r4? cause if its the r1 then $29 looks almost exactly the same to the madman release price. and the last dvd was a massive recap dvd. Not to mention that we get a 6 dvd release compared to a 7. Thereby saving that entire $20AU.

Quote:

R1 i'm assuming. Ezydvd has these for $24.95. A whole $2.71

Quote:

This is probably your strongest example yet, as the price difference is
actually more than about $4. Ezydvd has them for $28.95

Quote:

The pokemon - best of are $19.95 on ezydvd. And for the first real time since those sailor moon dvds, you have actually made an example of something that could be significantly cheaper. We can't actually tell, as there isn't a local release.
oogi2000
Eikichi Onizuka

PostPosted: Sun May 09, 2004 11:24 am    Post subject: Reply with quote
In the end, price wins.

Outlaw Star R1 is $50 AUS even less. Madman is gonna flog the series for $150ish from memory. So which version are people gonna purchase (considering that Region is not a determining factor)?

And when ordering multiple DVDs, all those $1-$3 differences adds up. Wink

Also, for Chobits, didn't Madman get a rap around the knuckles for this 6 disc release?

Quote:
Again, not even released here, but thats very close the the price JBs charge for things like Martian Successor Nadesico, which is a box with _more_ dvds and _more_ episodes.

What? One DVD which stores an extra 2 episodes? I fail to see how this can be compared.
Dizrythmia
Misa Amane

PostPosted: Sun May 09, 2004 2:37 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote
Requiem wrote:
for the first real time since those sailor moon dvds, you have actually made an example of something that could be significantly cheaper.

It doesn't matter how much it is cheaper by. My point is that if you buy say 10 or more DVDs, even with the postage costs that can be a significant saving. Oh & yes all the DVD prices I posted are for Region 1
Requiem

PostPosted: Sun May 09, 2004 3:39 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote
oogi2000 wrote:
Quote:

What? One DVD which stores an extra 2 episodes? I fail to see how this can be compared.

He was being pendatic over less than $2, so I thought i was allowed to be pedantic over 2 episodes and a dvd.
Ghostly
Mayuko Chigasaki

PostPosted: Sun May 09, 2004 4:10 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote
Dizrythmia wrote:

Man you gave unsatisfactory examples... but I agree with you, buying things from the US can be MUCH cheaper IF you buy alot from the right places at the right time. Like during Rightstuf's 40% off sales OH YEAH ^^
Good examples: oogi's Outlaw Star example (thanks for that, me thinks I'll get R1 Razz)
Grave of the Fire Flies I got it for ~$20AUD inc shipping. Half of Madman's RRP and $15 cheaper then Devoted's prices (same goes for Laputa and Kiki I assume they will be similarly priced and I got them for $20-25 from memory)
<MESSAGE TO MADMAN> Subtitle the opening and ending songs of Kiki and Laputa and I'll buy these titles again (yes I'm obsessive oh well Razz)</MESSAGE>
Can't remember prices but you can get Gasaraki dirt cheap R1.
The other titles I got haven't been released here so they aren't great examples but I got Nadia dirt cheap ^^ All 10 DVD's the Movie and 4 Soundtracks for ~ $210AUD. If you assume the soundtracks were thrown in for free thats $19 per DVD. You'll never find Madman DVDs at those prices except for stuff like Dragon Ball Z. Everything else I find is at least $5 more (after discounts) and at least $10 more at RRP.
Kirben
Nene Romanova

PostPosted: Sun May 09, 2004 4:24 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote
Requiem wrote:

Quote:

The pokemon - best of are $19.95 on ezydvd. And for the first real time since those sailor moon dvds, you have actually made an example of something that could be significantly cheaper. We can't actually tell, as there isn't a local release.

Pokemon is a bad example, only two 'Best of Pokemon' DVDs were ever released in Australia. Each had 5 episodes per DVD, which was good value. But they sold poorly, so no more was released and any left overs would be real old stock now. The Region 1 releases of Pokemon series were still only 3 episodes per DVD at that point in time.
Dizrythmia
Misa Amane

PostPosted: Mon May 10, 2004 12:37 am    Post subject: Reply with quote
Ghostly wrote:
Man you gave unsatisfactory examples...

Hey, I don't ask you to agree with what I like. I like what I like & telling me what I import is unsatisfactory is a little immature. I think we're all above this "What I watch is better.... cos it is..." crap don't you??

Ghostly wrote:
but I agree with you, buying things from the US can be MUCH cheaper IF you buy alot from the right places at the right time.

I don't care really. I import on principle mainly now because I refuse to buy Madman (& everyone who reads my other posts already know this so don't bother starting some stupid flame war). If I have pay a few extra dollars for quality then I'm more than happy to do so. I can afford to do so, so it's all good. Some Q&A about my situation:

Do I like importing??
Well I'd rather not. But I'd rather spend my money on quality & on a company that I trust. Unfortunately that is not Madman right now. Plus there is a lot of stuff not available here & I'm very impatient & don't like waiting Wink

Do I want to buy Madman??
HELL YES. I want to support an Australian company as much as the rest of you.

When will I buy Madman again??
When I can trust Madman enough to return my Dragonball Z DVDs that I've been waiting to have remastered for the past 18 months.

Why don't you trust the returns department??
I have read a lot of bad things about Madman's returns from other members on the board. People getting the non remastered DVD back, returns getting delayed for up to 2 months etc etc. I'd like to say this surprises me but sadly it doesn't

So if you get your replacements you will buy a Madman DVD??
Yes, I've held off buying Love Hina Spring Special for just an occasion. before I buy anything I will be checking this messageboard THOROUGHLY for a week or 2 to see that there have been no reported mistakes. I'm not putting myself in the situation where I have to wait another 18 months for a remaster.

Well so what if Madman aren't perfect??
So what indeed. You are giving your money to this company. If I trust a company then I'm happy to part with my hard earned cash. Admittedly I've noticed Madman's errors over the past few months have decreased. that's pleasing to see, & has restored my faith in them somewhat. But until I know that when I send back my DVDs for the remaster replacements & that I will get them within a week at the latest & that those DVDs will be remasters & not the same thing I sent back to them I still can't trust them. This isn't Dizrythmia vs Madman. This is Dizrythmia not trusting Madman. There is a difference.

So if Madman do this then you'll never import again??
No, I never said that. I will continue to import what I am currently importing if for collectors sake (so everything is the same) & if something is coming out in a few months by Madman & I want it now then I will get it now. As I said, I am not renowned for my patience. Plus there is plenty of great stuff not coming out here. It seems most of the stuff I want is not going to be released here.

Yo Dizrythmia you suck!!
Probably, but if you had the money & were able to buy better quality products that you could rely on, I'm sure you all would, (& many others on these boards do). My arguments here are clearly researched & without profanities. I insult no one. I simply get my point across. If you wish to insult me, then you will get no response from me. I have no desire to lower myself to joining a flame war. I will just smile at all those who do flame me from behind this monitor knowing that my DVDs do not have errors & that I am able to enjoy more anime than what is available in Australia from Madman.

Again I leave you with this quote from above: This isn't Dizrythmia vs Madman. This is Dizrythmia not trusting Madman. There is a difference.
Ghostly
Mayuko Chigasaki

PostPosted: Mon May 10, 2004 12:45 am    Post subject: Reply with quote
Dizrythmia dude ... calm down. I never said what you watch or buy is unsatisfactory. I like most of what u listed. I said they were unsatisfactory examples. Which means your comparisions didn't support what you were saying as effectively as they could have. Also I used the word unsatisfactory rather then **** or crap because its more ligth hearted and was not meant to offend.
oogi2000
Eikichi Onizuka

PostPosted: Mon May 10, 2004 2:07 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote
Quote:
I have read a lot of bad things about Madman's returns from other members on the board. People getting the non remastered DVD back, returns getting delayed for up to 2 months etc etc. I'd like to say this surprises me but sadly it doesn't

Ditto here. Rolling Eyes

Quote:
Yes, I've held off buying Love Hina Spring Special for just an occasion. before I buy anything I will be checking this messageboard THOROUGHLY for a week or 2 to see that there have been no reported mistakes. I'm not putting myself in the situation where I have to wait another 18 months for a remaster.

I do this as well. Sad, but true.
Creedy
Mylene Jenius

PostPosted: Mon May 10, 2004 2:48 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote
I personally think Madman are a great company. I havnt read this entire thread. But in my own oppinion, I can't help but think that Madman could possibly drop series DVD's even lower then $30 each. I think $25 for series DVD's would be much better. I mean thats still $175 they are making per customer for a 7 disc series. Yes, boxset prices would also come down.
You can get simpsons and Futurama seasons for like $70 each, I can't help but feel with the speed that Madman are expanding, they could afford this price drop.

Thats just my thoughts anyway.
madman
Doraemon

PostPosted: Mon May 10, 2004 5:18 pm    Post subject: Thanks All! Reply with quote
Jeranon wrote:

Hi Madboard Gang!

Just thought I would drop by and I happened to read this thread. I must say, it makes me very proud to hear positive feedback from so many people about our efforts, when it is so easy for people to only speak up about negative things! And believe me, we take notice of both the good and the bad comments! (note - read a recent dog training manual and positive reinforcement for training is always recommended! Wink )

I thought Jeranon (quoted above) sums up our performance and efforts to date exceptionally well, expect for one point - the last paragraph.

As Madman grows, we continue to raise the bar all the time. Just when you get some aspect of the business better, you realise that there is another area (or lots of other areas) which could be improved upon. Unfortunately this all takes time - and a lot of it!

In no particular order (and this is certainly not meant to be a comprehensive list) we have just completed a major internal IT upgrade, we are about to implement a new integrated enterprise management software system to improve our delivery and service to our stores, we are planning a major overhaul to the web site and shopping system (I know - this has been coming for a while!!!), we are addressing our critical path and production processes to try to reduce errors, we are putting on extra production staff to help deliver more and better products sooner, we are doing promotional stuff like printing free anime updates and DVDs, attending conventions, trying to survey anime fans to work out what stuff you like best and how we can effectively tell you about it, we are working on bringing you box set value adds and trialing Manga publishing and merchandise lines.

Madman are striving to improve in many ways all the time - but it all takes time. I am not sure what the character limit is on the boards, but I am pretty sure it would not like me talking about all the things we are working on or all the plans we have for the future! Plus I have a few thousand emails to catch up on! Very Happy

Anyway, thanks to all the people who said positive things - you have made my day! And to those who pointed out problems - thanks, we are aware of them and will keep trying to do better!

All the best,
Tim
C.E.O.
Madman
Requiem

PostPosted: Mon May 10, 2004 7:55 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote
Its personal replies like this that set madman apart from other companies. Thanks for taking the time to listen to our concerns, Tim.
Kei
Shiina Tamai

PostPosted: Mon May 10, 2004 8:41 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote
Requiem wrote:
Its personal replies like this that set madman apart from other companies.

Quoted for truth.
Cyclone
Motoko Kusanagi

PostPosted: Mon May 10, 2004 9:13 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote
Creedy wrote:
I personally think Madman are a great company. I havnt read this entire thread. But in my own oppinion, I can't help but think that Madman could possibly drop series DVD's even lower then $30 each. I think $25 for series DVD's would be much better. I mean thats still $175 they are making per customer for a 7 disc series. Yes, boxset prices would also come down.
You can get simpsons and Futurama seasons for like $70 each, I can't help but feel with the speed that Madman are expanding, they could afford this price drop.

Thats just my thoughts anyway.

And how much are Star Trek boxsets?

Apples and oranges. There are probably 10 Simpsons fans for every anime fan of any series in Australia, so they can break even with cheaper sets, where Madman has lower sales and have to break even with higher costs per unit.

Cyc
Ghostly
Mayuko Chigasaki

PostPosted: Mon May 10, 2004 9:35 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote
Ghostly wrote:
Dizrythmia dude ... calm down. I never said what you watch or buy is ^%&*(&^%&*. I like most of what u listed. I said they were ^%&*(&^%&* examples. Which means your comparisions didn't support what you were saying as effectively as they could have. Also I used the word ^%&*(&^%&* rather then **** or crap because its more ligth hearted and was not meant to offend.

Oh great... now it looks like I'm swearing because someone decided to censor sh1tty... I am aware this board is G rated but come on!... Next you'll be censoring "pooey" Rolling Eyes If you're gonna censor trivial things like this you may as well delete the hottest anime girl thread and the lame jokes thread and... and... they all contain stuff much less suitable for a G board *sigh*
[EDIT] I just noticed that crap wasn't censored... how is that any better than sh1tty?

Last edited by Ghostly on Mon May 10, 2004 9:43 pm; edited 4 times in total
oogi2000
Eikichi Onizuka

PostPosted: Mon May 10, 2004 9:37 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote
Letter One.

Letter Two.

Letters like these make me happy. I admit, these days Madman may be busy et al, but stuff like this makes me blush. Very Happy Embarassed

As for Tim, keep up the good work. Wink
StorminNorman
Gillard-chan

PostPosted: Mon May 10, 2004 10:13 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote
We should arrange a Tim group-hug at Manifest this year...
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website MSN Messenger
Steven, Justice Eunuch!
Doraemon

PostPosted: Mon May 10, 2004 10:19 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote
Kei wrote:
Requiem wrote:

Quoted for truth.

Quoted for Post-count +1 Rolling Eyes
Caloris
Minawa Andou

PostPosted: Tue May 11, 2004 11:37 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote
Steven, Justice Eunuch! wrote:
Kei wrote:
Requiem wrote:

Quoted for truth.

Quoted for Post-count +1 Rolling Eyes

Much like yourself then?

anyway...

overall, I rate madman as a B-.

The only times I've gotten any DVDs released by madman in any reasonable amount of time has been at a convention (anime.au and supanova) or if I went to EzyDVD or EB and got it myself. The Madman service at the conventions has been excellent.

So far I've ordered twice via the website. The first time was for Haibane Renmei 2, preordered last November, and the second 3 weeks ago for Haibane Renmei 4, .Hack//Sign 6 and Fruits Basket. Both times I have to say the service has been crap and worthy of a C- grade.
At the same time as I made my first online order, I emailed the General Inquiries address asking a number of questions. I never got a reply, not even anything saying something like “We have received your questions. At this time we are unable to answer them but we will try to find out and get back to you soon”. Poor, very poor. I also sent an email at that time to the orders address, detailing my query and providing a date in which I needed to have an answer by. There was a week between when I sent that email and the date I needed to have a reply by. It took 2 weeks to get a response.
For my second order, I ordered on the 22nd, the money was taken out of my account on the 24th. I still do not have my order more then 2 weeks later. Australia Post takes no more then 3 days to send a package from Melbourne to Canberra. Clearly the problem with that order is on the madman end, yet there has been no announcement about any delays, nor have I heard anything back about any problems with the order. It the poor distribution to customers who have already paid for their orders keeps up after a 3rd order, I won’t be ordering from madman ever again.

Page 2 of 3

Jump to: