Usergroups  ·  Register ·    Profile  ·  Log in to check your private messages  ·   Log in     

Madman Manifest 2004 Panel

Goto page 1, 2, 3  Next
Madman Manifest 2004 Panel
Author
Ayeka Masaki Jurai

PostPosted: Sat Aug 14, 2004 9:29 pm    Post subject: Madman Manifest 2004 Panel Reply with quote
New Announcements
  1. Princess Mononoke
  2. Scrapped Princess
  3. Samurai Champloo
  4. Paranoia Agent

Writeup

This is more-or-less a dump in the order things were said, so it may not necessarily be grouped by concept.

The Madman panel was held at 15:30 today, 14th August 2004, and finished about 17:05. Presenting were Tim Anderson and Sylvester "Sly" Ip from Madman. Tim did nearly all of the talking, so assume unless otherwise mentioned that he is the one I'm quoting.

September 04, Retro Collection and Battle of the Planets

Tim started off with a slide about the September '04 releases (Battle of the Planets, Wolf's Rain, DBGT Lost Eps, Voltron, Gad Guard and Starblazers), but quickly strayed into talking about Madman's big push with their "retro collection" releases, which are designed to appeal to collectors and contain as many extras and goodies as Madman can manage and are not bargain priced.

The first retro collection release is Battle of the Planets in September. Madman have arranged to get unique cover art for the release from renowned comic artist Alex Ross. Series expert Jason Hofius is working as a sort of co-producer on the set with Madman and has dug up some new extras including 1 or 2 never-before-seen pilot episodes for G-Force, and storyboards and scripts.

Battle of the Planets will come in 5 heavy box sets containing madpacks (gatefold packaging).

Also mentioned were coming Retro Collection editions of Voltron (cover art is from scans of the die-cast toys done by Madman artist Alex, to have a plastic slipcase or slipcases) and Star Blazers (5 discs in a madpack, not thinpacks as previously considered, may contain the proper endings to each ep unlike the R1 - Sly was 95% sure).

Trailers for Battle of the Planets, Wolf's Rain and Voltron were shown. I remember noticing plenty of film artifacts on the BotP trailer.

October Releases

Next came a trailer for the Ghibli collection, and an announcement that the October releases from it would be: Princess Mononoke, Laputa: Castle in the Sky and Kiki's Delivery Service. The trailer had an amusingly cool Australian voice-over (our answer to the Bandai Man?). Unfortunately we were told that Ghibli do not let Madman do unique extras, so we will be getting the same extras as the other editions of the movies have.

Madman's title for Laputa will be the full Laputa: Castle in the Sky, as they're not worried about a spanish minority getting upset with "laputa" meaning "whore" like the Americans are. Madman will be including literal subtitles on all their releases (unlike R2 UK) and will also include the dubtitles where they exist. Apparently Madman are re-doing some of the titles because they were not happy with how they were done in R1 (I wasn't exactly sure what this meant, but I got the impression Tim was referring to the actual movie title texts/logos/etc.).

Other October releases: Slayers Try, Excel Saga Imperfect Collection, GitS: SAC, Tylor TV+OVA, Mospeada, Puni Puni Poemi, EVA Plantinum, Kurumi 2, Getbackers.

Trailers for GitS: SAC, Puni Puni Poemi and EVA Platinum were shown. Reconfirmed information that GitS:SAC is from HD master directly to PAL with 4% speedup and no NTSC conversion, and is expected to be 100% progressive. Madman are planning a web site for it www.ghostintheshell.com.au.

EVA Plantinum will have reworked versions of the R2 cover art showing more of the artwork in a different layout (horizontal instead of a vertical strip? I didn't understand).

Also mentioned in passing is that Madman are considering Utena.

November Titles

Titles for November release were given as: Gungrave, Texhnolyze, New Fist of the North Star, You're Under Arrest Movie, Dead Leaves, Rahxephon Movie, DBZ Movie 9. R.O.D. The TV, Astroboy Collection.

New Fist of the North Star (Shin... in Japanese) is three 1-hour OVAs. The You're Under Arrest movie is not anamorphic (though I harassed Tim Anderson afterwards and told him of the existence of R2 and R3 anamorphic versions which he at least pretended to be interested in investigating).

The Astroboy Collection is another retro collection. It is the 1980s Astroboy series, though Tim indicated they would be interested in getting the 1960s version if this one sells well. To be confirmed but 95% sure was that the collection will come in an embossed aluminium tin containing thinpacks, with 10 DVDs of the show, 1 DVD containing extras and a booklet. If released it would retail for around $199-250 SRP and be limited to a run of 10,000. Individual discs would also be available at around $20 each.

December Releases

All these are to be confirmed: Herlock, Happy Lesson TV+OVA, Comic Party Collection, Kare Kano Collection, Samurai Deeper Kyo.

Since big retailers have no interest in Madman releases around Christmas due to pressure from larger DVD companies to stock heaps of their products, Madman are concentrating on fan releases for December.

Someone asked about thinpacks in general, but apparently big retailers will not stock individual thinpack releases. (This may have been due to security tags, I wasn't quite sure.)

New Announcements
  1. Princess Mononoke
  2. Scrapped Princess - Madman had this licensed before the US announcement but decided not to steal their thunder. Should be out early next year.
  3. Samurai Champloo
  4. Paranoia Agent

Other Stuff

At this stage proceedings were thrown open to general discussion and questions.

Full Metal Alchemist is still scheduled for release around March 2005. It most likely will be restricted to the same episode count per disc as the R1 by Madman's contract, but discs with 3 episodes will be priced lower if possible. Madman may do a tin case if R1 does.

Madman wouldn't possibly be considering trying hard to get rights to Millennium Actress and GitS: Innocence. That would be inconceivable.

Gundam Wing sold very poorly for Madman, so Madman are wary of Gundam series at the moment. If anything happens, it will be them getting the new Gundam Seed and all hope of future Gundam series depends on it doing well.

Anime studio Sunrise are coming to Australia in the next few weeks and are meeting up with toy manufacturers and sellers as well as Madman in an effort to inject interest in Gundam merchandise into the Australian market. They wanted to get Gundam (Seed?) onto free-to-air TV but it contains too many adult concepts to get on commercial channels and SBS either aren't interested or can't afford it (this might be speculation on Madman's behalf).

Question about licensing Stellvia, reply was "probably will". The problem is that it is now necessary to negotiate with King Records directly as well as Geneon and the contacts for doing so are not in place yet. It was mentioned that a series would need sales of 10,000 units to justify a locally made metal box, but that Madman can in some situations buy excess stock of boxes (1- or 2000) from Geneon and may do so for Stellvia if possible.

Asked about licensing Mysterious Cities of Gold / Esteban, Child of the Sun, reply is that which Japanese company owns the rights is not known, even by the company themselves, as Madman has asked everyone. They have narrowed it down to some possibilities, but even assuming they can get a license the problems of finding an English Language track for it will be hard to overcome.

Madman have been trying to contact Saban about licensing Thundercats, and after a strong show of interest at the panel will also consider Samurai Pizza Cats if possible. (Tim seemed genuinely surprised at the level of interest: I guess he doesn't read the forums here.)

Planetes? They could get it, but don't know if it will sell.

Twin Spica? Tim hasn't seen it. He likes to see at least 1-2 episodes of every show they seek license for.

*content removed upcon request*

New Web Site

The current "new" Madman web site is just some window dressing on the old site. A proper new site with "ultra cool deluxe" features will be coming online around Christmas time.

Target and Anime

Madman have been meeting with Target (the big retailer), as Target are keen to get into anime in a big way in their stores. What Target wish to do is have an "anime zone" section in their entertainment area in stores. This will be trialed soon in two Victorian Target stores: Melbourne City and Highpoint. If it is a success it will probably be implemented in all Target stores.

Apparel

Madman have a new series of "retro collection" anime t-shirts in their adult apparel range. They are going with an approach of subtle anime logos -- something that you'd need to be a fan to recognise, not something that screams "I am a nerd with no life" to all and sundry (my words there, not Tim's). Examples are the new Transformers t-shirts which contain the decepticon and autobot logos. Many suggestions were taken for clothing wants.

Newtype

ADV have removed the DVD from their Newtype magazine as sold at newstands -- only the subscribers get the DVD. Madman's recent shipment arrived with no DVDs, which is why it has been delayed. Madman are negotiating with ADV to either get DVDs or to get a cheaper price. Tim tried to gauge people's interest in DVD-free newtype with limited success. He did say that if you have a subscription to Newtype via Madman you should at least receive the current issue with DVD, when they can get some.

Conclusion

I think that's it. Hope some of you have some interest in this and that I haven't just wasted 30 minutes typing it all up.

- mib

Last edited by mib on Sat Aug 14, 2004 10:57 pm; edited 5 times in total
Flaks
Koishi Herikawa

PostPosted: Sat Aug 14, 2004 9:35 pm    Post subject: Re: Madman Manifest 2004 Panel Reply with quote
mib wrote:
Princess Mononoke

Did anyone ask how they managed to get the rights to it? Did they have to deal with Beuna Vista?
^_^ POCKY ROX, DUBZ SUX ^_^
Darth Tallis
Van Fanel

PostPosted: Sat Aug 14, 2004 9:36 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote
The announcements are very good news. Especially for those who were hankering for Madman to get Princess Mononoke in the wake of their Ghibli announcements last year.
mib
Ayeka Masaki Jurai

PostPosted: Sat Aug 14, 2004 9:49 pm    Post subject: Re: Madman Manifest 2004 Panel Reply with quote
Flaks wrote:
Did anyone ask how they managed to get the rights to it? Did they have to deal with Beuna Vista?

Yes, but I believe it was indirectly. Madman said that whomever they were licensing the Ghibli stuff from in Japan had been very pleased with their work and had arranged with Buena Vista Australia for Madman to get the DVD rights to Mononoke (but not the theatrical rights).

- mib
Flaks
Koishi Herikawa

PostPosted: Sat Aug 14, 2004 10:22 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote
To Madman folk: Will the release of Ghost in the Shell: Stand Alone Complex contain DTS?
Vegeta_Jnr
Nia Teppelin

PostPosted: Sat Aug 14, 2004 11:29 pm    Post subject: Re: Madman Manifest 2004 Panel Reply with quote
mib wrote:

Planetes? They could get it, but don't know if it will sell.

- mib

That's a shame, Planetes is a fine show
StorminNorman
Gillard-chan

PostPosted: Sat Aug 14, 2004 11:55 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote
It's great that they got Mononoke Hime, too.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website MSN Messenger
TheGreatNinjaFanBoy
Nene Romanova

PostPosted: Sun Aug 15, 2004 12:04 am    Post subject: Reply with quote
Quote:
Dead Leaves

YES!

I'm intrigued by the news on Sunrise.
Trunk's Girl
Madboard Mod

PostPosted: Sun Aug 15, 2004 1:15 am    Post subject: Reply with quote
Nothing too exciting for me, but that was a very well-done report mib. Smile

さすが ミブさん! :)
JESTER
Ruri Hoshino

PostPosted: Sun Aug 15, 2004 1:31 am    Post subject: Reply with quote
I was a bit suprised about Dead Leaves and I thought that MM hadn't announced its license before. Either that or I wasn't paying attention. Paranoia Agent was already announced.

I was suprised that Gundam Wing didn't sell well. I like that series alot and was the main reason for getting Gundam Seed and contemplated about getting Zeta Gundam.

I hope Tim can sort it out with ADV over NTUSA. I find it funny that there's a huge amount of august NTUSA's sitting on the shelf of the Kinokuniya. Usually by this time, there's hardly any left but at the moment there's 3 large piles of it at $18.10 each. If Tim does get the one with the dvd in it, then I can laugh like crazy over the sh*tty unsealed versions sitting on the shelf. Very Happy

When travelling, set no limits. Just experience it, live the moment and enjoy the ride.
TheHeadSage
Sylia Stingray

PostPosted: Sun Aug 15, 2004 7:34 am    Post subject: Reply with quote
I got the DVD from that panel, with all the trailers on it.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website MSN Messenger
madman
Doraemon

PostPosted: Sun Aug 15, 2004 7:58 am    Post subject: Well done mib Reply with quote
Well done mib, good report.

Sly - he should get a free key ring for that! Wink

Best,
Tim.
Flaks
Koishi Herikawa

PostPosted: Sun Aug 15, 2004 9:46 am    Post subject: Re: Well done mib Reply with quote
madman wrote:
Well done mib, good report.

Best,
Tim.

That he should!
Kero-chan
Priss Asagiri

PostPosted: Sun Aug 15, 2004 11:45 am    Post subject: Re: Madman Manifest 2004 Panel Reply with quote
mib wrote:
New Announcements
  1. Princess Mononoke
  2. Scrapped Princess
  3. Samurai Champloo
  4. Paranoia Agent

Scrapped Princess? Sweet!

mib wrote:
...Madman's big push with their "retro collection" releases, which are designed to appeal to collectors and contain as many extras and goodies as Madman can manage and are not bargain priced.

$60 for the Voltron collections seems pretty bargain-priced to me...

mib wrote:
Also mentioned were coming Retro Collection editions of Voltron (cover art is from scans of the die-cast toys done by Madman artist Alex, to have a plastic slipcase or slipcases)

Slipcases? Why would each collection need more than one?

mib wrote:
Other October releases: Slayers Try, Excel Saga Imperfect Collection, GitS: SAC, Tylor TV+OVA, Mospeada, Puni Puni Poemi, EVA Plantinum, Kurumi 2, Getbackers.

So these would be confirmed releases for October then? Also, Tylor TV is coming out this month.

mib wrote:
Also mentioned in passing is that Madman are considering Utena.

Ooh, good. Very Happy

mib wrote:
Titles for November release were given as: Gungrave, Texhnolyze, New Fist of the North Star, You're Under Arrest Movie, Dead Leaves, Rahxephon Movie, DBZ Movie 9. R.O.D. The TV, Astroboy Collection.

Again, are these confirmed for release in November? Also, speaking of ROD TV - has any decision regarding the box been made?

mib wrote:
The Astroboy Collection is another retro collection. It is the 1980s Astroboy series, though Tim indicated they would be interested in getting the 1960s version if this one sells well. To be confirmed but 95% sure was that the collection will come in an embossed aluminium tin containing thinpacks, with 10 DVDs of the show, 1 DVD containing extras and a booklet. If released it would retail for around $199-250 SRP and be limited to a run of 10,000. Individual discs would also be available at around $20 each.

Wow, that sounds cool, but I sure hope the retail price is at the lower end of that range!

mib wrote:
December Releases

All these are to be confirmed: Herlock, Happy Lesson TV+OVA, Comic Party Collection, Kare Kano Collection, Samurai Deeper Kyo.

Yay for KareKano! I wonder how much the collection will cost though...
strideryb
Minawa Andou

PostPosted: Sun Aug 15, 2004 12:39 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote
Good to hear about Princess Mononoke
and Yah! for Kare Kano, Happy Lesson, and Comic Party Smile
mib wrote:
if you have a subscription to Newtype via Madman you should at least receive the current issue with DVD, when they can get some.
That's great to hear. Thanks MM. And if they're still gauging interest - I wouldn't get NTUSA without the DVD.

And thanks for the summary mib..
mib
Ayeka Masaki Jurai

PostPosted: Sun Aug 15, 2004 12:49 pm    Post subject: Re: Madman Manifest 2004 Panel Reply with quote
KANE79 wrote:
Slipcases? Why would each collection need more than one?

I don't imagine it would, I assume it is one slipcase per collection or something. To be honest the retro collection (and English dubbed anime) holds absolutely no interest to me so I wasn't sure how these were being released and didn't want to say "slipcase" and have people think I was reporting that it was changed to one big collection, or vice versa.

[quote]So these would be confirmed releases for October then? Also, Tylor TV is coming out this month.

If it was mentioned that titles were "to be confirmed", I wrote that in my writeup. Must be just Tylor OVA then. I'd previously thought that TV+OVA were coming in one set but I guess I was wrong.

Quote:
Also, speaking of ROD TV - has any decision regarding the box been made?

Nobody asked about the box and it wasn't mentioned.

- mib
Kero-chan
Priss Asagiri

PostPosted: Sun Aug 15, 2004 1:04 pm    Post subject: Re: Madman Manifest 2004 Panel Reply with quote
mib wrote:
If it was mentioned that titles were "to be confirmed", I wrote that in my writeup.

That's what I'd assumed, but I wanted to be sure. The further ahead I know a title is being released, the better I can budget for it.
stupidman
Doraemon

PostPosted: Sun Aug 15, 2004 3:50 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote
nice job mib
Jeranon
Ryuk

PostPosted: Sun Aug 15, 2004 5:04 pm    Post subject: Re: Madman Manifest 2004 Panel Reply with quote
mib wrote:
The You're Under Arrest movie is not anamorphic (though I harassed Tim Anderson afterwards and told him of the existence of R2 and R3 anamorphic versions which he at least pretended to be interested in investigating).

Heh. Razz
Mystery Man v 2.0
Minawa Andou

PostPosted: Sun Aug 15, 2004 5:32 pm    Post subject: Re: Madman Manifest 2004 Panel Reply with quote
mib wrote:
October Releases

Next came a trailer for the Ghibli collection, and an announcement that the October releases from it would be: Princess Mononoke, Laputa: Castle in the Sky and Kiki's Delivery Service. The trailer had an amusingly cool Australian voice-over (our answer to the Bandai Man?). Unfortunately we were told that Ghibli do not let Madman do unique extras, so we will be getting the same extras as the other editions of the movies have.
- mib

Excellent news about Mononoke Hime, it's one of my favourite films.
But does the extras issue mean that we're stuck with the 5 minute documentary and trailer that the US release has? [rant]God, I hope not. This release has been a long time coming, so I hope we can have as perfect a release as possible, with extras from the R2 release instead...

Also, will Madman be using the R1 or R2 transfers for conversion, or use film masters like the rest of the Ghibli Collection? I hear the R1 release has some relatively unnoticable (but still annoying) colour problems in comparisson with the R2 release....

[/rant]
mib
Ayeka Masaki Jurai

PostPosted: Sun Aug 15, 2004 8:42 pm    Post subject: Re: Madman Manifest 2004 Panel Reply with quote
Mystery Man v 2.0 wrote:
But does the extras issue mean that we're stuck with the 5 minute documentary and trailer that the US release has?

Tim did mention storyboards and asked if people liked them, to which there was noncommittal response (probably because not many people have the R2 or R3 releases).

Quote:
Also, will Madman be using the R1 or R2 transfers for conversion, or use film masters like the rest of the Ghibli Collection?

An excellent question that in hindsight I wish someone had asked. Sad I was too busy worrying about the YUA movie.

Quote:
I hear the R1 release has some relatively unnoticable (but still annoying) colour problems in comparisson with the R2 release.

Some people claim it is oversaturated. It is more saturated than the R2, but who can say which is closer to the intended theatrical colors? Unless you have a calibrated monitor and a room where you perfectly control the light for viewing conditions you're unlikely to notice, and even if you do you probably wouldn't care.

- mib
Jeranon
Ryuk

PostPosted: Sun Aug 15, 2004 9:19 pm    Post subject: Re: Madman Manifest 2004 Panel Reply with quote
Mystery Man v 2.0 wrote:
Also, will Madman be using the R1 or R2 transfers for conversion, or use film masters like the rest of the Ghibli Collection?

Madman will do their best to acquire the best materials available.

Last edited by Jeranon on Sun Aug 15, 2004 9:34 pm; edited 1 time in total
TheHeadSage
Sylia Stingray

PostPosted: Sun Aug 15, 2004 9:27 pm    Post subject: Re: Madman Manifest 2004 Panel Reply with quote
mib wrote:

Quote:
Also, speaking of ROD TV - has any decision regarding the box been made?

Nobody asked about the box and it wasn't mentioned.

- mib

I was going to ask about the box, but I ran out of time.
Jeranon
Ryuk

PostPosted: Sun Aug 15, 2004 9:29 pm    Post subject: Re: Madman Manifest 2004 Panel Reply with quote
gah
TheHeadSage
Sylia Stingray

PostPosted: Sun Aug 15, 2004 9:34 pm    Post subject: Re: Madman Manifest 2004 Panel Reply with quote
Eh? Another double post. What is going on tonight....
Yuni
Motoko Kusanagi

PostPosted: Sun Aug 15, 2004 9:57 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote
mib, my good friend! that was an awesome report and is much appreciated by someone who got %&@%^@# annoyed at the fact that Manifest seemed to involve paying $25 just to stand in a queue all day, and left 30 minutes after she arrived Rolling Eyes

awesome news about mononoke hime, but somewhat frustrating since i just bought the R2 release.

must also start saving for limited edition astro boy!

anyway, thanks again for taking the time to write all this out

~magda~

http://radio-tokyo.net
mrgazpacho
Koyomi Mizuhara

PostPosted: Sun Aug 15, 2004 10:25 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote
Good work mib - Thanks for the report Cool

Hmm the boards are a bit Mad tonight, aren't they? Evil or Very Mad
StorminNorman
Gillard-chan

PostPosted: Sun Aug 15, 2004 11:29 pm    Post subject: Re: Well done mib Reply with quote
madman wrote:

Everyone will be pleased to note that mib did indeed get a free keyring for the above post.

I got a free keyring too, because I posted a link to this thread from AnimeOnDVD.
StorminNorman
Gillard-chan

PostPosted: Sun Aug 15, 2004 11:48 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote
I do it just to annoy you.

I also say "ani-may" for similar reasons.
Kero-chan
Priss Asagiri

PostPosted: Mon Aug 16, 2004 10:10 am    Post subject: Reply with quote
I notice there was no mention of the remaining two Transformers collections in the monthly releases part of the write-up - do Madman have expected release dates for these yet?
Slykura
Madman Staff

PostPosted: Mon Aug 16, 2004 12:11 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote
Just to clarify a few things Smile

RETRO collection is more geared towards the nostalgic markets pricing will vary from each release but since the Transformers styled releases have worked well and the price point is reasonable for the amount of content you get most of them have been priced at that $60 for 3 discs price point. (Battle of the Planets/Voltron). Course there are exceptions like Star Blazers and Astro Boy but they are definately more geared towards the notsalgic/collector market at a reasonable pricing point.

BOP - We will also have some Gatchaman episodes on the release.

Voltron - Cover art is actually airburshed from hand. This is original art that Alex did not scans Smile He has taken a die-cast metal Voltron Toy and drawn specific parts of it eg torso etc of each lion for each box. Plastic slip over the mad-pack will have the logo printed on the plastic

Ghibli - redoing of titles are basically the logos for each movie.
Masters : Are from Ghibli, NTSC Digi-betacam masters. Properly transfered from Film to NTSC. Which means it's much better to transfer them to PAL. This really applies to everything. If the masters are good to begin with conversion to PAL is usually alot better. Smile

Gits - no blended frame which means pretty much progressive (not too familar with what ranks as progresive but this is pretty close to it I think so correct me if I'm wrong, basically like a regular hollywood movie DVD release where it's been properly transfered from Film to PAL video.

EVA platinum - basically the artwork for the R1's slipcase but not foiled. easier to look at artwork.

Thin packs in retail stores - Stores don't like them as they don't have security tags ie the little slot in the amaray cases where you can put a red tag in to prevent theft.

New announcements summary:

Dead Leaves (November)
Scrapped Princess
Samurai Champloo
Princess Mononoke

Other stuff:
RE: Gits and Millenium : I believe it was waiting to see how it goes to do a double sublicense deal.

Gundam: Free-to-air/cable. Basically with the price Wing went for Sunrise would like to expect the same if not more but simply not possible due to lack of interest after wing didn't do as well as expected.

To add to the King Records comment, same deal applies to Love Hina Again, which is the reason why we have yet to announce it.

Interesting note regarding the screenings at manifest in general: a good portion of the stuff being shown is actually all already licensed/recently announced titles.

Transformers: No mention because we focused on the NEW titles coming out in those months, not the continuation of titles. (the panel would have went on for 5 hours if that were the case XD)

TF collection 4 in october, 5 in december
Kero-chan
Priss Asagiri

PostPosted: Mon Aug 16, 2004 1:13 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote
Slykura wrote:
Transformers: No mention because we focused on the NEW titles coming out in those months, not the continuation of titles. (the panel would have went on for 5 hours if that were the case XD)

Good point, I didn't even consider that. Razz

Great work from Alex on the Voltron artwork and I look forward to the release of Scrapped Princess. Since no-one asked at Manifest - has there been any decision made in regards to the box for ROD TV?
Mystery Man v 2.0
Minawa Andou

PostPosted: Mon Aug 16, 2004 4:05 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote
Slykura wrote:
Just to clarify a few things Smile

Ghibli - redoing of titles are basically the logos for each movie.
Masters : Are from Ghibli, NTSC Digi-betacam masters. Properly transfered from Film to NTSC. Which means it's much better to transfer them to PAL. This really applies to everything. If the masters are good to begin with conversion to PAL is usually alot better. Smile

Good-but what of extras? Does the 'no exclusive extras' rule apply to all releases or just Mononoke, and will we get more than the US extras on MH?
mad chichi
Washu Hakubi

PostPosted: Mon Aug 16, 2004 7:13 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote
I reckon the most awesome thing was that they started the movie straight away unlike last year were they went on and on and on and on and then about the features that come with the dvd blah blah blah better done this year. well thats what i heard from my buds that were there i was working at the specials interests theatre that rocked!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

" i think one superhero is enough for today"
"Maketakunai Shi, Nakitakunai Shi, Waratte-tai kara" MOVIN MOVIN

"MADA MADA DANE" ^_^
Spirit Wolf
Motoko Kusanagi

PostPosted: Mon Aug 16, 2004 7:53 pm    Post subject: Re: Madman Manifest 2004 Panel Reply with quote
mib wrote:
Flaks wrote:

Yes, but I believe it was indirectly. Madman said that whomever they were licensing the Ghibli stuff from in Japan had been very pleased with their work and had arranged with Buena Vista Australia for Madman to get the DVD rights to Mononoke (but not the theatrical rights).

- mib

Sorry, but I think this is just awesome. ^_^ Good on you, Madman!
this is my December, this is me alone." - My December by Linkin Park
Mr Waffle
TEH WAFFLES!!11!

PostPosted: Mon Aug 16, 2004 8:28 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote
Cheers for the summary MIB. I always mean to go to the madman panel but... ^^;

Yay for all the good news.
mib
Ayeka Masaki Jurai

PostPosted: Mon Aug 16, 2004 8:43 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote
Mr Waffle wrote:
Cheers for the summary MIB.

Next time you go to japan, find me the Crest of the Stars artbook. Or YUA merchandise. Or affordable second-hand Yokohama Kaidashi Kikou: Quiet Country Cafe DVDs. Very Happy

- mib
Tony
浜崎 あゆみ

PostPosted: Mon Aug 16, 2004 9:08 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote
This was my first madman panel, was very informative. Good work on the summary, mib. Smile
Mr Waffle
TEH WAFFLES!!11!

PostPosted: Mon Aug 16, 2004 11:12 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote
mib wrote:
Mr Waffle wrote:
Cheers for the summary MIB.

Next time you go to japan, find me the Crest of the Stars artbook. Or YUA merchandise. Or affordable second-hand Yokohama Kaidashi Kikou: Quiet Country Cafe DVDs. Very Happy

- mib

kekeke, well I found a neat little shop in Osaka that had a heap of cheap artbooks, so who knows Razz they had an entire wall of gundam artbooks for AUS$12 each. I couldn't decide XD

Oh, and I missed Sly's post for some reason. Interesting news about the retro stuff indeed... sure to bring a few grins to oldskool fanboi's faces Very Happy
lordCONAN
Melfina

PostPosted: Mon Aug 16, 2004 11:44 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote
Why has no one mentioned babar?

They said they'd look into it Shocked
"...Seeing that you speak Japanese, they will wag their heads and smile condescendingly, and admit to each other that you are really quite intelligent - much as we would do in the presence of a pig or an ape of somewhat unusual attainments."
(Basil Hall Chamberlain, 1904)
HimuraBattousai
Kagami Yagami

PostPosted: Tue Aug 17, 2004 12:44 am    Post subject: Reply with quote
Mystery Man v 2.0 wrote:
Good-but what of extras? Does the 'no exclusive extras' rule apply to all releases or just Mononoke, and will we get more than the US extras on MH?

That rule does apply to all Ghibli titles.
Requiem
Linn Syun-Rock Dreu Haider Jinto

PostPosted: Tue Aug 17, 2004 9:08 am    Post subject: Reply with quote
Grave of the Fireflies had a boatload of extras.
TheHeadSage
Sylia Stingray

PostPosted: Tue Aug 17, 2004 2:14 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote
lordCONAN wrote:
Why has no one mentioned babar?

They said they'd look into it Shocked

I'm pretty sure this has a BBC licience, which will then be sub-licienced by the ABC.

So you were the guy who asked about it...
lordCONAN
Melfina

PostPosted: Tue Aug 17, 2004 3:27 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote
Maybe ... Rolling Eyes

With Grave of Fireflies where the extras exculsive to the R4 release?
"...Seeing that you speak Japanese, they will wag their heads and smile condescendingly, and admit to each other that you are really quite intelligent - much as we would do in the presence of a pig or an ape of somewhat unusual attainments."
(Basil Hall Chamberlain, 1904)
Flaks
Koishi Herikawa

PostPosted: Tue Aug 17, 2004 3:39 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote
lordCONAN wrote:
Maybe ... Rolling Eyes

With Grave of Fireflies were the extras exculsive to the R4 release?

no
Mystery Man v 2.0
Minawa Andou

PostPosted: Tue Aug 17, 2004 4:32 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote
One more thing-are the subtitles going to be the same as the US releases? Because some of the lines are dubtitled...
reen
Doraemon

PostPosted: Tue Aug 17, 2004 5:12 pm    Post subject: Re: Madman Manifest 2004 Panel Reply with quote
mib wrote:
Question about licensing Stellvia, reply was "probably will". The problem is that it is now necessary to negotiate with King Records directly as well as Geneon and the contacts for doing so are not in place yet. It was mentioned that a series would need sales of 10,000 units to justify a locally made metal box, but that Madman can in some situations buy excess stock of boxes (1- or 2000) from Geneon and may do so for Stellvia if possible.

I sure hope they do get the box, or at least release something extra. Since I've already seen it, its the only way they'd get my money.

I guess its also waaay too early for me to be asking if they are going to be doing anything good with the Scrapped Princess box. So i wont... yet.
mib
Ayeka Masaki Jurai

PostPosted: Tue Aug 17, 2004 5:56 pm    Post subject: Re: Madman Manifest 2004 Panel Reply with quote
reen wrote:
I sure hope they do get the [Stellvia] box, or at least release something extra. Since I've already seen it, its the only way they'd get my money.

You wouldn't just buy it because it's awesomely good? Sad

- mib
reen
Doraemon

PostPosted: Tue Aug 17, 2004 6:30 pm    Post subject: Re: Madman Manifest 2004 Panel Reply with quote
mib wrote:
reen wrote:
I sure hope they do get the [Stellvia] box, or at least release something extra. Since I've already seen it, its the only way they'd get my money.

You wouldn't just buy it because it's awesomely good? Sad

ahh... shhh... Your forceing me to destroy my attempt of saying that, it would be realy cool if they could give me a reson to actualy justify the ammount of money I'd pay for it, with out actualy saying it. Of course I'd buy it regardless as, as you say it is "awesomely good", but if lieing on a forum, is going to make me think for half a second that my opinion is actualy going to matter to madman, then why the heck not?

Actualy, I do feal like contridicting my eailer post, and say the dvd covers in the US release look kinda ugly, and I'd rather a better looking madmanized version. But I wont, as I know in the end its a or thing, not a both.
Ed
Lin Minmay

PostPosted: Tue Aug 17, 2004 6:30 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote
Mystery Man v 2.0 wrote:
One more thing-are the subtitles going to be the same as the US releases? Because some of the lines are dubtitled...

Tim said that there were going to be different subs, but dubtitles are likely in addition.

I took four pages of notes at the panel, so I'm kind of disappointed Mib got here first - but Melbourne doesn't have the internet or something. I'll see if I can find anything in my notebook that Mib missed.

PS. Tim gave me a keyring for the "Laputa means prostitute or something" remark.

He will infect us with his infernal culture!

Page 1 of 3

Jump to: