Usergroups  ·  Register ·    Profile  ·  Log in to check your private messages  ·   Log in     

iPod or iPod Mini?

Goto page 1, 2  Next
iPod or iPod Mini?
Author
浜崎 あゆみ

PostPosted: Mon Nov 01, 2004 8:28 pm    Post subject: iPod or iPod Mini? Reply with quote
Jenny is going to Hong Kong is December. Tony is giving money to Jenny to buy Tony either an iPod or iPod Mini, in which he'll save about $70-$100 off the price in Australia. Tony is having trouble deciding what to get though. He thinks 4GB space on the mini is enough, although he can't be too sure. The normal iPod will only cost $90 extra to get 5 times the space of the mini, although the mini is smaller and more compact.

What should I get? Mini is cheaper and I *think* 4GB space should be enough. I don't intend to go put my whole CD/MP3 collection in the iPod. But the 20GB could come in handy.

Thanks for any help in advance. Smile
PregnantBob
Kuu

PostPosted: Mon Nov 01, 2004 8:37 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote
if size isnt a problem get the iPOD no wait, get the iRiver, smaller and much better Smile
Grand Master 67
Tina Foster

PostPosted: Mon Nov 01, 2004 8:38 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote
what he said...iriver

but if its contrained to the question I'd say 4 gig is enough....u can always load/unload Wink
f*** with 'im, and watch melburn rock to hells kitchn~
Wiltshire Sharp (feat Autism)
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website AIM Address MSN Messenger
Kei
Shiina Tamai

PostPosted: Mon Nov 01, 2004 8:38 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote
You'll need more than 4GB in the long run...

iPod.
Mr Waffle
TEH WAFFLES!!11!

PostPosted: Mon Nov 01, 2004 8:41 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote
After using a friends iRiver, MrWaffle is quite glad he has an iPod.

Tony, MrWaffle has filled his 10gb iPod. Is Tony aware of how large his mp3 collection is?

*MrWaffle wonders about the 3rd person
Nargun
Siegfried Kircheis

PostPosted: Mon Nov 01, 2004 8:59 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote
The thing about the iPod is, it's not really an MP3 player. It's a really large USB mass storage device that just happens to have MP3 decoding capacity and audio-out.

If you think of it as such, which you buy is obvious.
~Raven~
BT

PostPosted: Mon Nov 01, 2004 9:03 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote
Probably the iPod. Depends on whether or not you buy your own CDs... I buy all my music, and as such I only have about 2 gigs at best, but others with less legitimate means, or who buy more CDs, will easily exceed the 4 gig mark. I just don't see the mini being worth if, given the 20 gig iPod only costs a little more.
scottish ninja
Shinobu Nagumo

PostPosted: Mon Nov 01, 2004 9:19 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote
Depends if your just using the mp3 codec, then get either. If you like other codecs like wma (shudder), ogg then go with a iRiver.
Meguel Sanchez
Misa Amane

PostPosted: Mon Nov 01, 2004 9:21 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote
the mini's are cool because its about the size of my phone (sony ericsson T610)
but its really overpriced for how much it holds
i mean for like $100 more you could get $20 gig insted of 4 gig

go the regular ipod (also the latest design of the ipod is actually quite thin and not overly big)
StorminNorman
Gillard-chan

PostPosted: Mon Nov 01, 2004 9:38 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote
I'd go the full iPod although, sadly, you can't get the older touch-capacitance model now.

The click-wheel on the new iPods (and iPod mini) is annoying as hell, I've found.

Also, I don't understand the iRiver love. I played with one the other week and found it to be... crap.

Oh, and don't forget you can now get a colour-photo iPod. I don't see the point, but hey, whatever floats your boat.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website MSN Messenger
Happy_Aardvark
Mayuko Chigasaki

PostPosted: Mon Nov 01, 2004 9:40 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote
I got a mini - sure the 20Gb was a little more but I recognised my desire for something cute and pink. 4Gb while nowhere near my AAC collection, it allows me to upload albums at a time, maybe create a couple of playlists that I chop and change. Oh and the ipod is larger and heavier... you notice the difference when you hold the two of them. THe minis are JUST SO CUTE Smile I drawed some eyes on a little white sock so that mini could live it it, and when I was bored at work I could do sock puppet shows Very Happy
A belief in the majoritarian parliamentary votes, sustained by nothing more than triennial visits of citizens to the ballot box, with uncontrolled power thereafter, is an infantile conception of a modern democracy. Michael Kirby
Kero-chan
Priss Asagiri

PostPosted: Mon Nov 01, 2004 10:02 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote
Toby wrote:
iPod or iPod Mini?

Neither. Ghetto-blaster over your shoulder. Very Happy Razz
Sonictail
Hajime Saitou

PostPosted: Mon Nov 01, 2004 10:14 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote
go the ipod, I have a 40gig and haven't looked back, breaks down less than my mates zen and irivers and goddam it's easy to use.

trust me, if you have a space you will fill it. and the price per meg on the 20 is brilliant compared with t he mini.

also, you get $70 off straight up if you're a student. so think smart!
Happy_Aardvark
Mayuko Chigasaki

PostPosted: Mon Nov 01, 2004 10:22 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote
I feel this is the point to say:
Size doesn't matter; It's what you put on it that counts.

Wink
A belief in the majoritarian parliamentary votes, sustained by nothing more than triennial visits of citizens to the ballot box, with uncontrolled power thereafter, is an infantile conception of a modern democracy. Michael Kirby
Grand Master 67
Tina Foster

PostPosted: Mon Nov 01, 2004 10:42 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote
you can watch mpegs, view text files, browse images, store etc on a small colour screen, plus it has longer battery life...and I think the batteries are easier to replace as opposed to the ipods...Wink

and has less restriction on what u can do with it than an ipod...
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website AIM Address MSN Messenger
Happy_Aardvark
Mayuko Chigasaki

PostPosted: Mon Nov 01, 2004 10:47 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote
Grand Master 67 wrote:
you can watch mpegs, view text files, browse images, store etc on a small colour screen, plus it has longer battery life...and I think the batteries are easier to replace as opposed to the ipods...Wink

and has less restriction on what u can do with it than an ipod...

You know you can store contacts and read text documents on the ipod as well. hell you get breakout as well - that alone is worth it's weight in classic mac os computing. as for mpeg, I guess I must side with job on this one...I don't see the need for it. Colour screen? Yeah it could be nice but probably determental to battery life
PregnantBob
Kuu

PostPosted: Mon Nov 01, 2004 10:50 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote
Kero-chan wrote:
Toby wrote:
iPod or iPod Mini?

Neither. Ghetto-blaster over your shoulder. Very Happy Razz

Tony
浜崎 あゆみ

PostPosted: Mon Nov 01, 2004 11:00 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote
Hmm, well..

iPod 20Gig costs $412 RRP in Hong Kong.. which isn't bad, but I still find it hard to believe I'll need 20gig of space. Like I said, I'm only going to put a few CD's in there and my most listened to mp3's. I thought 4gig would be enough for that.

Hmm, maybe I'm judging the space really wrong here.

iRiver, aren't they like $800 or something? I don't want to spend more than $400 (Or in the iPod's case $412 which is fine)
Sonictail
Hajime Saitou

PostPosted: Mon Nov 01, 2004 11:33 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote
You can get cheaper irivers, and trust me on this you WILL NOT stop at a few CD's cause ipod's are like pringles.

And people forget, ipods have a lot of hiden functionality, all it requires is a little work to get the extra functionality. that and seriously, what else do you NEED a mp3 player for?

Tony, I would just reccomend a 20 over a mini due to price per MB factor. However go into a mac store and play with one make up your own mind!
Grand Master 67
Tina Foster

PostPosted: Tue Nov 02, 2004 1:33 am    Post subject: Reply with quote
As I said...the battery life is longer on an iriver Razz....

Also I suppose its what u wanna use it for...not everyone really needs a portable video player...but u get what u pay for...and if its extra functionality and versatility plus bang for ya buck go iriver Smile...if u just want something to listen to get a ipod (I suppose) but creative seem to have brought out something interesting....
Sonictail
Hajime Saitou

PostPosted: Tue Nov 02, 2004 1:47 am    Post subject: Reply with quote
Hmm, I'm skeptical about advertised battery lives. it looks good on paper, and then fails usually.

and why would I pay good money for something that only has HDD room, if I want something like a Iriver, I would get a iphoto, better life "on paper" and better screen. oh and apple has much better support! (tested and true)

the new zen? nothing amazing. unless it's something else you're referring to...
winged_seraphim
Melfina

PostPosted: Tue Nov 02, 2004 2:14 am    Post subject: Reply with quote
iPods kick iRivers, (hey, cry me a frickin iRiver). As for iPod or mini, depends on what you want. I personally recommend an iPod, because you're only splashing out an extra hundred, for five times the space, and believe me, you'll use it.

Whatever you do though, don't believe the hobo down the street who's offering you one. It's actually a seedpod, not an iPod, believe me. Evil or Very Mad
Grand Master 67
Tina Foster

PostPosted: Tue Nov 02, 2004 2:18 am    Post subject: Reply with quote
Its the option...it doesn't mean you have to use it....

Having things like this is handy...trading data and viewing it on hand...its sorta like having a swiss army knife Smile

I kind of find something like iriver more refreshing as it looks to be more capable....with the future usage in mind with updates etc....so it won't get old...also not forgetting mention 3rd party options....
Jef
Usagi Tsukino

PostPosted: Tue Nov 02, 2004 6:58 am    Post subject: Reply with quote
Don't forget that whilst they advertise 4gb/20gb whatever, that's not actually what you're getting.
The 4gb is probably more like 3.5, which is about 500-700 songs. Not the advertised 1000.
iPod is better value, and will save stuffing around to get the songs you want to hear portable, you can just stick 'em all on there Razz
jak
Melfina

PostPosted: Tue Nov 02, 2004 7:25 am    Post subject: Reply with quote
Well i look at it in a technical aspect, the big one has a larger battry that means more music time, the big one is more easyer to repare so if you do drop it, it wont be to expencive to fix. and bigger is better oh yeh get the 80GB one
“You must endure this loneliness. Man can never completely erase this loneliness because all men are fundamentally alone. Pain is something that man must carry in his heart, and since the heart feels pain so easily. Some believe life is pain”
Mr Waffle
TEH WAFFLES!!11!

PostPosted: Tue Nov 02, 2004 9:00 am    Post subject: Reply with quote
winged_seraphim wrote:
cry me a frickin iRiver

giggle.

I'll expand on my advice. Look at the size of your mp3 collection, and think about what you'll use your iPod for. I use mine during work (several days straight without a recharge, so nobody claim it has a karp battery life unless you own one) so I appreciate being able to hold 6 days+ worth of music Razz. If you'll only be using it for, say, train trips into the city, then a Mini would probably be a better idea because it's smaller. Also, it's cute, so it's a good conversation topic Razz
Nargun
Siegfried Kircheis

PostPosted: Tue Nov 02, 2004 10:06 am    Post subject: Reply with quote
Tony wrote:
Hmm, well..

iPod 20Gig costs $412 RRP in Hong Kong.. which isn't bad, but I still find it hard to believe I'll need 20gig of space.

If you just want an MP3 player, there are vastly cheaper options than the iPod. As I and others have mentioned, the most important feature of the iPod is that it's a neat compact portable hdd.

Would you buy a computer with a 4gig hdd?
Kardith
Arumi Asahina

PostPosted: Tue Nov 02, 2004 10:34 am    Post subject: Reply with quote
Get the normal iPod, minis are silly, normal ones are far better value for money. *huggles 20gig iPod*
Slykura
Madman Staff

PostPosted: Tue Nov 02, 2004 10:51 am    Post subject: Reply with quote
4G Click Wheel Ipod is your friend. I've played around with one and compared to others I like it the most for ease of use and I like how there is the click to press the button. It makes for more of a solid feel.
StorminNorman
Gillard-chan

PostPosted: Tue Nov 02, 2004 11:07 am    Post subject: Reply with quote
Sonictail wrote:
go the ipod, I have a 40gig and haven't looked back, breaks down less than my mates zen and irivers and goddam it's easy to use.

Wait... your iPod breaks down?

Mine... doesn't.

The Creative Zen is pretty unreliable, by all accounts. I know someone who's been through at least two of the damn things. He claims they're better than the iPod because they're $100 cheaper, but when you keep having to buy a new one every six months, it doesn't seem so cheap to me.

I got a 20GB iPod because my music collection takes up about 15GB (actually it's somewhat larger than that, but I don't keep all of it on the iPod) so I need the space.

(EDIT: My collection is 20.06GB, according to Konqueror's filesize view.)

Also keep in mind that the iPod can double as a FireWire/USB 2.0 HDD, so when you're out you can plug it into your friends' computers and get data off them (thus negating the need for a USB memory stick). The new G4 iPods come with both a FireWire and a USB 2.0 cable, I notice (my Dad has one). There's also the combined FireWire/USB 2.0 cable that you can get for about $35.

(Note that the iPod doesn't charge over USB 2.0, however, as it can't get the power it needs from a 2.0 port.)

Oh, and like pretty much all USB 2.0 devices, you can use an iPod in a USB 1.1 port, however Apple strongly recommend against doing this. Primarily, I suspect, because it's only marginally faster than wiggling a magnet in front of the iPod to get data onto it.

Last edited by StorminNorman on Tue Nov 02, 2004 11:13 am; edited 1 time in total
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website MSN Messenger
Mr. Wendal
Cagalli Yula Attha

PostPosted: Tue Nov 02, 2004 11:09 am    Post subject: Reply with quote
I'm going to get an ipod 40GB. I have stacks of CD's, (all bought, i'm no pirate) but i don't want to lug them all over japan when i go and live there for a year.

I plan to go july next year, and do the whole teach english thingy.
winged_seraphim
Melfina

PostPosted: Tue Nov 02, 2004 12:35 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote
since when have swashbuckling pirates been able to steal music? I thought they only raped and pillaged!

Yaaargh, it be me, Cap'n Kazaaaaaaargh!
Sonictail
Hajime Saitou

PostPosted: Tue Nov 02, 2004 1:07 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote
Stormin' Norman. My friend's ipod broke down, got it back in a week (well, a new one) . Mine i had a couple of issues with, cause even tho it SAYS you need USB 2.0 you actually don't. Trust me on this.

However the portable HDD functionality is not as compatable as it should be. Memory sticks are far better in terms of ease of use.
Cypher-Khan
Hajime Saitou

PostPosted: Tue Nov 02, 2004 1:35 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote
Nargun wrote:
The thing about the iPod is, it's not really an MP3 player. It's a really large USB mass storage device that just happens to have MP3 decoding capacity and audio-out.

Thats my way of thinking aswell...

For the moment, I only have a cheap 128mb thing... - so I can evffectivley hold next too nothing. But yeah, I often use it as a memory stick... very handy for taking assessments and stuff to university.

Im intending to make the jump to something bigger reasonably soon... so Im watching this thread with more than a mild interest.

sonictail wrote:
However the portable HDD functionality is not as compatable as it should be. Memory sticks are far better in terms of ease of use.

How so?? does it not just plug in and then accept data??
Tony
浜崎 あゆみ

PostPosted: Tue Nov 02, 2004 2:42 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote
Nargun wrote:

Would you buy a computer with a 4gig hdd?

Good point. =/

iPod 20gig it is.

Thank you for your help, everyone. Smile Although I am still open for more persuasion if iPod mini is still the 'better' choice.
Damo
Shinobu Nagumo

PostPosted: Tue Nov 02, 2004 6:41 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote
The 20 gig iPod is a good choice, thats what I got. (Bought it in Australia with the 10% student discount then took it overseas with me and claimed back the GST Twisted Evil )
poke__egg
Shiina Tamai

PostPosted: Tue Nov 02, 2004 6:56 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote
my most listened to songs only take up about 200meg, out of my 6 gig music collection... so the cheap 256 meg mp3/wma/radio from Brisbane Car Sound/Strathfield was my choice Very Happy

RICE MONKEYS!!!1
Grand Master 67
Tina Foster

PostPosted: Tue Nov 02, 2004 8:45 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote
http://www.liquidgeneration.com/rumormill/ipod_killing.html

I think the article speaks for itself....
Happy_Aardvark
Mayuko Chigasaki

PostPosted: Tue Nov 02, 2004 9:22 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote
hoax....sorry....
XR8Rebel2001
Shinobu Nagumo

PostPosted: Wed Nov 03, 2004 9:19 am    Post subject: Reply with quote
I'm tossing up whether to get a 20GB iPod or a 30GB iBook. I'm thinking the iBook. But that's just me. Meh, I'll just save up and get both! If only I could get over my deep fried dim sim addiction...

Best. Ringtone. Ever.
http://lozphone.ytmnd.com/
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website MSN Messenger ICQ Number
StorminNorman
Gillard-chan

PostPosted: Wed Nov 03, 2004 10:19 am    Post subject: Reply with quote
Sonictail wrote:
Stormin' Norman. My friend's ipod broke down, got it back in a week (well, a new one) . Mine i had a couple of issues with, cause even tho it SAYS you need USB 2.0 you actually don't. Trust me on this.

*blink* Huh?

The manual recommends not using it with USB 1.1 because the speed is too slow. It's not that it won't work, it's just that it's near unusable.

Also, I'm not surprised at how quickly it was fixed/returned. Apple's customer service has been, in my experience, exemplary (I had to get my iBook repaired by them twice, and both times it was back to me within four working days. The first time, it was sent on Thursday afternoon, repaired on Saturday morning, and back to me on Monday afternoon.)

Quote:

I've not had issues with its compatibility. As long as you've got the cables, it should show up as an attached HDD in whatever OS you've got it plugged into. Sometimes it complains about needing software installed, but you don't *have* to just for the HDD functionality.
Slykura
Madman Staff

PostPosted: Wed Nov 03, 2004 12:32 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote
For windows users of the ipod - please remember to FORMAT your pod before you actually use it. As it is formatted to be Mac OS compatible out of the box.

little tip i got from a friend who had trouble with his pod on his first few days.
StorminNorman
Gillard-chan

PostPosted: Wed Nov 03, 2004 12:36 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote
The iPod is actually unformatted out of the box, apparently.

At least, mine was, because my iBook had to format it when I first plugged it in (then I had to reformat it for Windows because the machine I mostly use it with is a Windows box.)
XR8Rebel2001
Shinobu Nagumo

PostPosted: Wed Nov 03, 2004 1:11 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote
Why didn't I think of posting this link earlier!!! http://www.ipodlounge.com/ has more info than you'll ever need about iPods.

Best. Ringtone. Ever.
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website MSN Messenger ICQ Number
Princess_ Bijou
Usagi Tsukino

PostPosted: Wed Nov 03, 2004 2:15 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote
I-Pod!! For a small extra amount of money you get much more space..... and they are worth it!! Get It!!! NOW NOW!!! DO IT!!!
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website Yahoo Messenger MSN Messenger
Tony
浜崎 あゆみ

PostPosted: Wed Nov 03, 2004 3:45 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote
I won't get it until early January, Jenny (Who's going to Hong Kong) will be away from December - January. Bah! Sad
Jef
Usagi Tsukino

PostPosted: Wed Nov 03, 2004 5:37 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote
My iPod also formatted itself.
I had no issues, and I'm an XP-user.
Anyone know if iTunes is compatible with anything Windows before XP?
I've got music on my other computer as well... and it's an ME machine Razz
Mr Waffle
TEH WAFFLES!!11!

PostPosted: Wed Nov 03, 2004 5:59 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote
Puke wrote:

According to the Apple website you need 2000 or XP.
dark
Lin Minmay

PostPosted: Wed Nov 03, 2004 11:06 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote
I would go Ipod, The extra space will come in handy, Yes you might not fill even 4 GB in a while, but Eventually you just might and if you get the Ipod Mini u'll regret it Wink, I have a bloody small mp3 player only like 128 Meg...And im craving for a Ipod.. Shocked

W00t Saiyuki!.. W00t WoW soon

Dark..
View user's profile Send private message AIM Address Yahoo Messenger MSN Messenger
XR8Rebel2001
Shinobu Nagumo

PostPosted: Thu Nov 04, 2004 8:38 am    Post subject: Reply with quote
Mr Waffle wrote:
Puke wrote:

According to the Apple website you need 2000 or XP.

Just because Apple says something, doesn't say it's necessarily so. There's instructions for setting an iPod up for Windows 98SE and ME here: http://www.ipodlounge.com/faqs_more.php?id=3003_0_10_0_C

Best. Ringtone. Ever.

Page 1 of 2

Jump to: