Usergroups  ·  Register ·    Profile  ·  Log in to check your private messages  ·   Log in     

Manga is too expensive

Goto page Previous  1, 2
Manga is too expensive
Author
TEH WAFFLES!!11!

PostPosted: Sat Jan 01, 2005 10:35 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote
solid_snake_millenium wrote:
Check out this site of one of the local's manga distributor there.
www.chuangyi.com.sg

Uh... Madman are releasing their manga. We're getting Australian versions of their stuff printed up for us... but the fact remains Singapore has about fifty thousand million bazillion more people who buy manga than Australia... so the economics are still against us.
Inniss 1428
Kagami Hiiragi

PostPosted: Sat Jan 01, 2005 10:55 pm    Post subject: ... Reply with quote
Slykura wrote:
You'll be happy to know that our new titles coming out in 2005 wil retail for $12.90.

These will only apply to:

Fruits Basket
Some other stuff...

WAI!!!

BTW, I'm unemployed, and can't even afford manga, but I'd have to say that $14.95 for locally released titles, and $18.95 (at Empire) for US titles is quite reasonable. $18.95 is pretty good for something thats been brought in from overseas. Try comparing that to the $40 pricetag for some R1 DVD titles, while R4 titles are roughly $25.
Sometimes we just need to be thankful that we have access to manga at all.
.:GENACON:.
Doraemon

PostPosted: Thu Jan 06, 2005 1:38 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote
Visiting the madman website from home = 25c

Ordering chobits manga 1,2,3,4 $60

Finding out that its one of the funnest manga around = priceless.

There are some things that only money will buy.

For everything else theres manga.

"Let my sword answer your questions, For only it knows true knowledge" -- ME
Cypher-Khan
Hajime Saitou

PostPosted: Sat Jan 15, 2005 1:57 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote
supra wrote:
Whoo really where abouts?? The manga part in Taiwan is everywhere. Also, not sure in Japan, theres like places where you borrow manga, kinda like a manga library ^^.

Im sure there are, When I was there, I spent a night in a net cafe (missed the last train).

But yeah, all the net cafes I saw/visited had manga alllllll over the walls. So, for 1500 yen (we are talking about 17 dollars...) I got 7 hours of *very* high speed internet, access to all the online MMORPGs that have been released recentally (tho, they were in Japanese, so that caused some problems.) and yeah, all the manga I could read [plus free drinks].

As for the cost... second hand places in Japan are awesome. I picked up the first 7 volumes of Black cat for 105 yen each ($1.40). Thier second hand stuff is also in rather good condition aswell.

Over the counter I paid 420 yen per volume of School Rumble (New; so about $5.50)

So yeah, thier manga is cheaper. Its already been mentioned countless times but it has to do with the size of the market and the demand for the product.

-------------

If you are looking for Japanese manga in Sydney, Kino sells it for about $8.50 per volume new. So, thats about double the cost for the same thing in Japan. Im willing to pay double for the convineance of them having saved me a 1500 dollar plane ticket to Japan.

-------------

English manga, 15 dollars... thats not so bad. I bought 12 volumes of Love Hina (english) at a con. I like it too much to butcher it with my "not-the-best" Japanese skills.
Mr Waffle
TEH WAFFLES!!11!

PostPosted: Sat Jan 15, 2005 1:58 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote
There are manga libraries (Japanese and Chinese) in Sydney and Melbourne if I'm not mistaken. You'd have to ask a local for their addresses, though.
supra
Kenshin Himura

PostPosted: Sat Jan 15, 2005 3:03 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote
Yeh and people use Kino as an english manga library Rolling Eyes . Now its the holidays you go there and cant even walk in between the shelf cause its packed with students sitting there reading (i really hate it when they give you that look when you say "excuse me" cause your trying to get a manga you want and ACTUALLY BUYING IT!!!)
Mr Waffle
TEH WAFFLES!!11!

PostPosted: Sat Jan 15, 2005 4:04 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote
supra wrote:
Yeh and people use Kino as an english manga library Rolling Eyes . Now its the holidays you go there and cant even walk in between the shelf cause its packed with students sitting there reading (i really hate it when they give you that look when you say "excuse me" cause your trying to get a manga you want and ACTUALLY BUYING IT!!!)

ahaha yeah. I just them out of the way now, they've given up their right to not be treated like a piece of meat by annoying me.

Page 2 of 2

Jump to: