Usergroups  ·  Register ·    Profile  ·  Log in to check your private messages  ·   Log in     

Another Pizza Cats thread WITH A DIFFERENCE

Another Pizza Cats thread WITH A DIFFERENCE
Author
Misa Amane

PostPosted: Sun Jan 16, 2005 3:19 am    Post subject: Another Pizza Cats thread WITH A DIFFERENCE Reply with quote
This time I have a link to the TV Shows on DVD website:

http://www.tvshowsondvd.com/newsitem.cfm?NewsID=2655

Or for those too lazy to visit :

Quote:
And here's another strange one. Joshua Lane over at Animated Bliss has dug up an Amazon.com listing for a Samurai Pizza Cats - Volume 1 DVD!

The show was run in syndication in the USA for one season back in the 90's, and feature three feline crime-fighters dressed in Samurai armor. Their headquarters was a pizza parlor, naturally, and it sported a rather large gun which our heroes used to shoot themselves out of, and quickly get to the scene of the action!

According to the Amazon listing, this DVD has been available since 2003 (which is funny, because we've never noticed it before!) and is currently out-of-stock, but can be gotten on a special order basis. The word "import" is mentioned, but it's said to be a Region 1 release in NTSC format, with full-frame video and Dolby Digital 2.0 Stereo sound. Running time is 100 minutes. Jade Entertainment is said to be the originator of this product, but a Google search turns up many companies by that name - the biggest one seeming to be a supplier of adult content DVDs, rather than anything for kids.

Animated Bliss is continuing to look into this, so we'll leave it in their very capable hands and update you on what they find out. In the meantime, here's the cover art that Amazon shows:

I posted this image a while ago & some of us were wondering if it was official or not. Looks like it is!!! I guess Amazon is going to be getting a few special request imports Wink

Also for those who understand French, I have this for you:

[Bootleg link removed --Ed.]

This looks to be the whole series in a boxset. You'll notice the logo is similar to the one on the above DVD. Jade might not have released all of it on DVD yet, but it looks like they have the rights to a few different languages, PLUS you'll notice the "Fox Kids" logo on the box??
Thoughts anyone??
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website MSN Messenger ICQ Number
madmangohan
Noooooooooooooooo

PostPosted: Sun Jan 16, 2005 8:10 am    Post subject: Reply with quote
i've seen that before for ages on [Link removed -- Ed.]

Anime News Network Australia
speedfreek19
Itsuki Koizumi

PostPosted: Sun Jan 16, 2005 10:00 am    Post subject: Reply with quote
cooool, i used to watch the show on tv when i was a lil kid lol
Mangaman
Magical Girl

PostPosted: Sun Jan 16, 2005 11:10 am    Post subject: Reply with quote
Omoishidoi da na...

Hopefully this means we may well see it one day, officially on DVD Very Happy

Or not. We'll just have to wait and see. I know if it was available, I'd buy it, even though it doesn't contain uber early-90s commercials Very Happy

*Where's Ingro?*

-Mangaman-
beardedgeek
Shana

PostPosted: Sun Jan 16, 2005 12:16 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote
if you go to this page
http://www.animatedbliss.com/news.asp?TID=2310

and then to this page
http://members.austarmetro.com.au/~mwhitley/guide2.htm

it seams to place some doubt on the legitimacy of the dvd's

but there is one person waiting on a copy to decide if they are perhaps someone who is devoted to this could chase them up?
madmangohan
Noooooooooooooooo

PostPosted: Sun Jan 16, 2005 7:16 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote
that second site was claiming them to be bootlegged.

"Also be aware of a label known as "Jade". They manufacture illegal copies of "Samurai Pizza Cats" and other dubbed titles that appeared on US TV. Despite packaging claiming to be coded for regions 1 and 4 and very legitimate packaging, the titles released by this company are unauthorized."

StorminNorman
Gillard-chan

PostPosted: Sun Jan 16, 2005 8:02 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote
I've removed the bootleg links in the first two posts. Thanks for the heads up, bg. Smile
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website MSN Messenger
Dizrythmia
Misa Amane

PostPosted: Sun Jan 16, 2005 11:35 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote
madmangohan wrote:

"Also be aware of a label known as "Jade". They manufacture illegal copies of "Samurai Pizza Cats" and other dubbed titles that appeared on US TV. Despite packaging claiming to be coded for regions 1 and 4 and very legitimate packaging, the titles released by this company are unauthorized."

I saw this too, but this is just from someone's personal Austar webspace & there's no evidence pictoral or otherwise to support why the DVDs wouldn't be legit. He just sayas they are. It seems that there are those who say they are illegal & others who say: if they are illegal why would Amazon sell them??
I guess I'm sitting on the fence on this one. They do look very legit, Amazon are selling them (through a 3rd party), there is only 1 volume that I've seen available, there is a French set with the same logos on it...... The evidence looks good for it being a genuine licensed product. I dunno. I've done as much research as I can find & I'm pretty convinced that they are legal, but there is still a niggling doubt.....
On the front page of the Bootleg FAQ he says:

Quote:
Is the information on this site up to date and correct?

To the best of my knowledge, yes.

Then later on he goes out to say:
Quote:
No, my information about what is and isn't a bootleg isn't wrong.
. CONFUSING. From what I've heard they look legit, the quality of the DVDs is great, they're not putting a crazy 20 episodes on one DVD (another thing I notice with a lot of bootlegs) & unless some circumstantial evidence is put before me I can't think of a reason to not think they are 100% legal. If nothing comes up in the next week & a bit to prove otherwise I'll be putting in an order next time I'm paid. I must have Pizza Cats on DVD, but I am making sure I do my bit not to support bootlegs.
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website MSN Messenger ICQ Number
beardedgeek
Shana

PostPosted: Mon Jan 17, 2005 12:23 am    Post subject: Reply with quote
Dizrythmia wrote:
madmangohan wrote:

I saw this too, but this is just from someone's personal Austar webspace & there's no evidence pictoral or otherwise to support why the DVDs wouldn't be legit. He just sayas they are. It seems that there are those who say they are illegal & others who say: if they are illegal why would Amazon sell them??

Quote:

OMA - DVD Guy wrote:

The problem I'm having is that I just don't see Amazon.com selling bootleg DVDs on their site.

They don't do it on purpose, but considering how large they are, it's going to happen a few times. As an example, here's a couple listings for a bootleg Queer as Folk Season 4 set...

http://www.amazon.com/exec/obidos/tg/detail/-/B00069I1BK/

http://www.amazon.com/exec/obidos/tg/detail/-/B0002ZH71I/

In the descriptions they're called "Foreign Release" or "Import", but they're just Hong Kong bootlegs.

And here's a listing for a bootleg Godzilla DVD release:
http://www.amazon.com/exec/obidos/tg/detail/-/B0006UG02G/

Basically, Amazon itself isn't selling these things, but they are allowing 3rd party sellers to.

while there is a fair amount of circumstational evidence against them . there seams to be little to no evidence for them being legit , eg a website for jade dvd. a popular release like that licenced by a unknown company seams to be a touch hard to swallow.

also good to see your not taking things out of context to support your arguement Razz

Quote:

Is the information on this site up to date and correct?

To the best of my knowledge, yes. The address' of shops outside of Sydney and Canberra may be incorrect as I don't really visit any cities outside these two. Lists for other Australian cities are sourced from information I have gathered from other individuals who have visited these cities, or from message boards and other websites. I usually check the White Pages to make sure these shops do exist though. Other information is as correct as possible. I've done quite a bit of research since I've started this site, and have corrected pages once I've found new information.

it seams he was refering to the specific address and such that changes over time , not the info of such companies as jade

also a customer review from amazon

Quote:

The picture has trailing images & jittery movements, it looks like a PAL transfer to NTSC, it gets distracting The colors are a little dark and the sound is a little muffled. This DVD is coded for both region 1 & 4 and may be an import by JADE.

The episodes run UNDER 20 minutes, so maybe they were sped up. This would explain the jittery movements.

Don't spend too much on this, hope for a better release.

ALSO BEWARE, the 5th episode is PART 1 with NO PART 2 !!!!!

if they are missing half a ep from your tantrums on here i'd hate to see how you'd react to them Razz
Greoboruri
Nene Romanova

PostPosted: Mon Jan 17, 2005 7:15 am    Post subject: Reply with quote
Jadeís stuff looks so dodgy. First note that no respectable online shop seems to stock their titles. Major DVD shops like DVD Pacific and the Right Stuf donít have them. and None of the series they release seem to go past volume one. The back of the packaging of their DVDs looks suspiciously like the old Pioneer (Geneon) DVD titles (i.e. theyíve copied that design format). Also thereís no copyright info on the back, no address for the company, and that barcode looks fake.

The region coding is odd to. Again itís similar to the old Pioneer releases with 1 and 4 codes. Now if this was an import as Amazon says, why would it not have Portuguese and/or Spanish subs/language, and why would the synopsis on the back be in English? If it did indeed come from South America or Mexico, why is it coded for region 1? If we cross those possibilities out, the only other region 4 area is Australia, and thereís no Jade Entertainment here, and if there was why would they make a NTSC DVD coded for region 1 and 4 for Australia? (plus it seems it is a PAL to NTSC transfer). This company is dodgy to say the least.

I note that other cartoons have had the same treatment. Does this design look familiar?;

As far as Iím aware the only legit Smurf DVDs are French and donít have the English dub. Now have a look at the back of the package;

Same type of design, same barcode, different studio name, no address for the company. Itís from the same source. Changing names and using a different alias are the hallmarks of a bootlegger.
madmangohan
Noooooooooooooooo

PostPosted: Mon Jan 17, 2005 7:38 am    Post subject: Reply with quote
same white casing used as well.

seems bootlegging as jumped a step further into looking more real

StorminNorman
Gillard-chan

PostPosted: Mon Jan 17, 2005 9:02 am    Post subject: Reply with quote
What would be interesting would be if someone's got a good quality scan of the back, and can enter the UPC into DVDProfiler or somesuch to see what it comes up with. I've noticed that bootleg DVDs tend to use UPCs of real, actual DVDs.

I'd rather err on the side of "potential bootleg" rather than "potential legit product", as this is Madman's website we're on.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website MSN Messenger
Slykura
Madman Staff

PostPosted: Mon Jan 17, 2005 9:08 am    Post subject: Reply with quote
The barcode is extremely fake.

Also The smurfs are coming on DVD in australia by Magna Pac >_>
new-anime-fan
Minawa Andou

PostPosted: Mon Jan 17, 2005 9:51 am    Post subject: Reply with quote
I wouldn't trust it myself. It reeks of bootlegging.

Samurai Pizza Cats is a good nostalgic show, but I would wait until legitimate distribution licenses are available, such as from ADV, 4Kids (most likely to grab SPC licenses, if available), Funimation or other better known companies.

From Invader Zim - Tak, the Hideous New Girl
Twotwenty
Washu Hakubi

PostPosted: Mon Jan 17, 2005 9:40 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote
As much as I heart the Pizza Cats (can you tell?), I wouldn't get this, they gotta be bootlegs.

If a legitimate distribution licence does come into fruition I hope whoever does it gets the same dubbing from back when I was a kid and the Japanese soundtrack as well. Just to see how much of a difference there was between the two. :p

Edit: Also, the character design for Speedy Service on the front cover isn't right.

My most recent review:
Welcome to the NHK
Elfen Lied
Tim
Hajime Saitou

PostPosted: Thu Jan 20, 2005 11:29 am    Post subject: Reply with quote
Yeah, there are now two volumes of The Smurfs available here. However the picture shown bears no resemblance to either of them.
Unforgiven
Minawa Andou

PostPosted: Fri Jan 21, 2005 9:13 am    Post subject: Reply with quote
Mangaman wrote:
Omoishidoi da na...

What? Do you, perchance, mean 面白い omoshiroi? Wink

I don't trust this either... Besides, I'm still hoping for a bilingual release. Okay, so I don't have high hopes, but anyway! Rolling Eyes

*This space for rent*

Page 1 of 1

Jump to: