Usergroups  ·  Register ·    Profile  ·  Log in to check your private messages  ·   Log in     

Fruits Basket Manga...

Fruits Basket Manga...
Author
Washu Hakubi

PostPosted: Tue Feb 08, 2005 10:04 pm    Post subject: Fruits Basket Manga... Reply with quote
Hey, I just picked up the first volume of Fruits Basket and I'm wondering how many volumes in does it catch up to where the anime left of... don't get me wrong... I think this manga is great and I will continue with it, I just want to know when I can expect 'new' stuff!
Thanks.
For more go to http://notrix.net/extremeidiotcy
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website MSN Messenger
Shinannth
Shiki Tohno

PostPosted: Wed Feb 09, 2005 1:05 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote
The finale events of the anime (well, the 2nd half of the last episode didn't occur in the manga) occur in Volume 6. There's bits and pieces of things in earlier volumes that didn't take place in the anime, and Tohru and Yuki's visit to Ayame's shop occurs in volume 6, but after the 'anime finale' events. Volume 16 was released last month in Japan, I'm guessing Japan will be up to Volume 18 by the end of the year... I have no idea how many more volumes this series is going to be though. XD
Darth Tallis
Van Fanel

PostPosted: Wed Feb 09, 2005 3:11 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote
I've noticed during the course of this manga that Shigure seems to have a darker side to him which doesn't appear in the anime. It makes the experience of reading through what's already known from the anime very interesting. You don't feel like you're completely retreading old territory. You actually find some thing new. That, for me, has made reading the manga a great joy, which will be greater still when I eventually reach the parts which never got animated. Smile
madmangohan
Noooooooooooooooo

PostPosted: Wed Feb 09, 2005 4:43 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote
yeah. well volume 7 i think just got it's US release (meaning if it's in stores this weekend i'm getting it) can't wait to finally see all this new stuff. i think Tokyopop will keep it as a 18 volume release though. if so, thats what...12 volumes packed of non animated content.

Anime News Network Australia
Slykura
Madman Staff

PostPosted: Wed Feb 09, 2005 4:47 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote
Well at the moment the manga is still continuing in Japan. There's an unspecified amount of how long the manga will go for.
patrics
Doraemon

PostPosted: Thu Feb 10, 2005 9:22 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote
I bought the First volume and thought it was good.
Do other artists do outtakes in there manga and what do think about it.
Schroedinger's_Cat
Tina Foster

PostPosted: Sun Feb 13, 2005 8:39 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote
Darth Tallis wrote:
I've noticed during the course of this manga that Shigure seems to have a darker side to him which doesn't appear in the anime. It makes the experience of reading through what's already known from the anime very interesting. You don't feel like you're completely retreading old territory. You actually find some thing new. That, for me, has made reading the manga a great joy, which will be greater still when I eventually reach the parts which never got animated. Smile

It adds a lot of depth to Shigure's character. In the anime he's a little shallow, but in the manga her is one of the more interesting characters by far. He's really loyal and protective of his friends and family (as a dog should be).

He's a very cool character
madmangohan
Noooooooooooooooo

PostPosted: Sun Feb 13, 2005 9:12 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote
got volume 7. seems the first 3 chapters still cover some stuff from the show. however this new content is somewhat interesting.

Twotwenty
Washu Hakubi

PostPosted: Sun Feb 13, 2005 11:59 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote
I'm waiting on Volume 5.

Yes, Shigure is quite a deal more devious in the manga, and even though most of what I'm reading in the initial volumes is covered in the anime, every now and again you read something new and something that hints of greater things to come.

The anime was definetly funnier but so far the manga is more intriguing so the jury's still out as to which I like better. So far it's awesome, so either way, I'm sticking with it.

My most recent review:
Welcome to the NHK
Elfen Lied
Ninja Aburame Shino
Washu Hakubi

PostPosted: Mon Feb 14, 2005 6:33 am    Post subject: Reply with quote
Twotwenty wrote:
I'm waiting on Volume 5.

Yes, Shigure is quite a deal more devious in the manga, and even though most of what I'm reading in the initial volumes is covered in the anime, every now and again you read something new and something that hints of greater things to come.

The anime was definetly funnier but so far the manga is more intriguing so the jury's still out as to which I like better. So far it's awesome, so either way, I'm sticking with it.

Yeah, But alot of the humor in the series came from the visual and audio in it giving it an advantage [sings] High school girls! High school girls! All for me!! High school girls![/singing]
either way... I now have Volumes 1-3, is there anywhere on this site that covers the releases of manga?
For more go to http://notrix.net/extremeidiotcy
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website MSN Messenger
Slykura
Madman Staff

PostPosted: Mon Feb 14, 2005 8:41 am    Post subject: Reply with quote
The catalogue.

We're being a bit more cautious with putting release dates for manga, due to past shipping issues.

The next release is looking to be at April with volume 4.
From May onwards we aim to release one a month, if it allows.
madmangohan
Noooooooooooooooo

PostPosted: Mon Feb 14, 2005 7:05 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote
at that rate, you'll be passing tokyopop's release of it.

Tony
浜崎 あゆみ

PostPosted: Mon Feb 14, 2005 10:41 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote
Have Chaung Yi gone further than Tokyopop in releasing Fruits Basket?
Slykura
Madman Staff

PostPosted: Mon Feb 14, 2005 11:05 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote
No, but they are fast catching up.
Vela
Mayuko Chigasaki

PostPosted: Mon Feb 14, 2005 11:14 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote
Just behind by one volume I think.
Draexem
Hajime Saitou

PostPosted: Tue Feb 15, 2005 7:25 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote
I was disappointed with the Chuang Yi release of Fruits Basket. While I think the translations are much and much the same, and both have those little musings and outtakes inside, the Chuang Yi version has a very weak spine and snaps easily. This can cause numerous problems and generally ends up in the book falling apart. Tokyopops version has a very flexible spine adding longevity and value for money. In fact, Tokyopop's version is just more sturdy in general. I definately think it's worthwhile to fork out 2, or in some cases 4, more dollars at a comic book store for a superior made book.

But that's just my two cents. By the way I'm not complaining, I know it's hard balancing cost and quality, but I would have been happy to pay $14.95 for the superior Tokyopop version than $12.95 for a copy that needs to be handled with care.
Slykura
Madman Staff

PostPosted: Tue Feb 15, 2005 7:53 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote
weak spine? How far are you bending your book????
supra
Kenshin Himura

PostPosted: Tue Feb 15, 2005 8:01 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote
I havent bought the Chuang Yi version of Furuba but if its the same quality as X, than i much prefer the Chuang Yi version. Their paper quality feels so nice
Draexem
Hajime Saitou

PostPosted: Tue Feb 15, 2005 8:23 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote
Just enough to see the words near the spine. However it's one of my sisters favourites so she reads it often, but she's very careful with books aswell.

I Compared it with Tokyopop's version and they open up real nice.

These days you hear about people wearing through 1 or 2 copies of their books that they really like. It's from the spine falling apart on them. You go to the library and the books that are falling apart from constant use are from the spine. And they are always the same type of spine. The type that you have to be very careful with when bending the books and seeing the words near the spine. The type where if you do crease the spine, it doesn't crease it snaps (i.e bent almost at right angles). Then the pages start to fall out. Or worse the entire book just goes. They're always the same type. I'll give you an example. The bourne series books are fairly well known. The old version of these books, I'm fairly sure you have to be very careful with otherwise it creases (not the good creases either, the bad one where it snaps) and then it has limited life left. However once the movies came out the books changed, the spine changed, it became more popular and the newer versions were more sturdy where the spines are almost impossible to snap. It adds much more life to them you don't have to be ultra careful with them. Comparing Chuang Yi with Tokyopop is the same. I was just disappointed with the inferior spine is all. It's one of my pet hates, and the reason I ain't buying Chuang Yi no more. It's the most common reason for books falling apart.

I believe that the life expectency of Tokyopop's version will be much higher than Chuang Yi's. How far my bending the spine back isn't the issue. The issue is how far do you have to bend the spine back until it snaps. With Chuang Yi not very far. With Tokyopop, you really can't do it unless it's intentional. I'm not ragging on Madman, I was just very dissapointed with the release is all.

EDIT: Oops didn't see Supra's post. No I liked the X manga. The spine was very nice. But it's my opinion that Fruits Basket's are weak.
Slykura
Madman Staff

PostPosted: Wed Feb 16, 2005 6:57 am    Post subject: Reply with quote
Here's a tip - don't bend it to right angles then. If you are intentionally bending it that far back, of course they are going to snap/fall apart.
Clarrisani
Doraemon

PostPosted: Thu Mar 10, 2005 8:55 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote
Does anyone know if any of the pages were originally in colour?
TheGreatNinjaFanBoy
Nene Romanova

PostPosted: Thu Mar 17, 2005 1:34 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote
I've got v1-3 so far. It's pretty sweet. I like it a lot!

I'm was surprise to read that the manga is still continuing. That's awesome! I'll buy the lot!
Toom
Kenshin Himura

PostPosted: Thu Mar 17, 2005 3:42 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote
I'm going to have to buy volume 1 again. The pages in the middle are loose, I'm afraid to read it again, and that's only after reading it once. I'm going to have to be extremely careful with my new one. (like not even open it)
madmangohan
Noooooooooooooooo

PostPosted: Thu Mar 17, 2005 10:02 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote
somedays i count my blessings for choosing tokyopop's version. i'm just wondering how long till chunyi pass tokyopop. at this rate it's only a few months

Cypher-Khan
Hajime Saitou

PostPosted: Fri Mar 18, 2005 12:18 am    Post subject: Reply with quote
After reading this thread I got curious; my CY edition of Fruits Basket 1 survived its first few read thru's perfectly well...

But 'cause people were so insistant that the binding sucked I bent it back way further than one should do to thier manga. Despite this; even after pulling on the pages closest to the middle they still wouldnt come out.

But I will agree that it is a little weak around the middle when compared to the TP version - which underwent the same treatment. Im not keen to do the same to my Japanese volume; so cant do a full comparasin.

Is this consistant with all volumes of CY manga?? or just FB 1.

---------

But yeah; Sly's right; take care of your manga and it will last...
TheGreatNinjaFanBoy
Nene Romanova

PostPosted: Mon Mar 21, 2005 9:52 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote
My Fruits Basket v2's spine seems a bit weak. I never open my manga out flat. I just flex the pages and I still see the entire page.

Anyway, I haven't seen the Fruits Basket anime so it's all new to me. Yuki is my favourite character so far. He's just too damn smooth...

Also, just checking, but does Tohru suppose to have black blotches on her neck on page 124 of Volume 3?
Toom
Kenshin Himura

PostPosted: Mon Mar 21, 2005 10:10 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote
Cypher-Khan wrote:
But 'cause people were so insistant that the binding sucked I bent it back way further than one should do to thier manga. Despite this; even after pulling on the pages closest to the middle they still wouldnt come out.

Actually in my case my volume 1's binding was not that strong at the bottom to begin with. So opening it up snapped what it was holding onto, and the pages in the middle came loose from the bottom.

Anyways, I'm going to see what super glue can do for me. Razz

EDIT: Success! Super glue is the answer to everything.
lexy101
Doraemon

PostPosted: Wed Mar 23, 2005 12:05 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote
You can expect new fruits baskets stuff really throughout. However it picks up at volume 6 & 7. In volume 7 there are still some things that we have already seen in the anime but the new things become more aparent and abundant....

Looking foward to vol 8 ^_^ Due April 12. With Haru on the cover
haruko-san
Minawa Andou

PostPosted: Thu Mar 24, 2005 7:03 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote
Love Fruits Basket but yes, Chung Yi does tend to release manga in lower quality then Tokyopop does. But its also cheaper. If you take good care of it and when your not reading it, wedged in between two other books, I'll be fine. Chung Yi's from Singpore and their manga there is 1/2 price compared to the Tokyopop version-$7.20:$14.95. It's probably good for marketing anyways. Same manga, 1/2 price (weaker spine, but you don't know that till you buy it). Anyhoo, Furuba rocks my socks.
TheGreatNinjaFanBoy
Nene Romanova

PostPosted: Fri Mar 25, 2005 1:39 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote
TheGreatNinjaFanBoy wrote:

Also, just checking, but does Tohru suppose to have black blotches on her neck on page 124 of Volume 3?

Is someone going to be nice and check for me?
madmangohan
Noooooooooooooooo

PostPosted: Fri Mar 25, 2005 4:09 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote
i cant since i have tokypop's version. though skimming all the pages around there in tp's copy show no blotches

Priestess of Cactuar
Hajime Saitou

PostPosted: Fri Mar 25, 2005 8:05 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Yep, my manga has those too, so i think we can assume they are supposed to be there Smile
Shinannth
Shiki Tohno

PostPosted: Mon Mar 28, 2005 3:47 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote
Priestess of Cactuar wrote:

Yep, my manga has those too, so i think we can assume they are supposed to be there Smile

I have an original Japanese (Hakusensha/Hanatoyume) volume 3, and there are no black blotches on Tohru's neck on page 124 (or any pages around page 124). Confused
TheGreatNinjaFanBoy
Nene Romanova

PostPosted: Mon Mar 28, 2005 10:05 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote
Shinannth wrote:
Priestess of Cactuar wrote:

I have an original Japanese (Hakusensha/Hanatoyume) volume 3, and there are no black blotches on Tohru's neck on page 124 (or any pages around page 124). Confused

Maybe the page count is different. I'd scan the page but I just can't be bothered.

At any rate it does look intentional. I'll conlcude that it is not an error... for now.
Reece
Hajime Saitou

PostPosted: Wed Jun 08, 2005 10:30 am    Post subject: Reply with quote
I had picked up volume 1-4 on monday I think - and finally got a chance to look at it last night. I didn't get though the first volume though and when I got to work I gave them to our local female otaku here at work.

I think this is first Manga I have read which was authored by a female - and I just could not relate to the characters. They all seemed overly emotional and brooding for no particular reason.

I didn't like the style of artwork either - but I knew that before I bought it, I though the story would make up for it. Oh, and no fanservice, though I think that is a blessing. Given the angst between the guys in the story if there was any fanservice it would proberly be of the yaoi (sp?) variety.

It was good to see that females are catered for in manga though - this was the first female-centric harem manga I have seen. Good to know what is good for the goose is also good for the gander.
fruits_basket_fan
Doraemon

PostPosted: Wed Jun 08, 2005 4:31 pm    Post subject: fb Reply with quote
my manga of volume 3 d has the black blotches their to maybe it was a mistake in the printing. i have up to volume 4 , i am waiting for volume 5 and 6 still. Edit: <spoiler removed> be considerate and don't post spoilers like that. - Shin

anyway my email is insert_your_hotmail_here@hotmail.com
Eris
Doraemon

PostPosted: Wed Jun 08, 2005 9:41 pm    Post subject: Re: fb Reply with quote
fruits_basket_fan wrote:
spoiler removed

It would've been nice if you'd warned us. Some people (me included) aren't up to that part, and i would've preferred to learn about it myself.

Put it in white, or say "Spoiler ahead!!".

I'm up to book 7, but when i went to buy it, they were out of it. They did have numerous copies of book 9 though (yay Aya!). I'm looking forward to seeing the new stuff.
Toboe
Doraemon

PostPosted: Tue Jun 14, 2005 10:20 am    Post subject: Reply with quote
in chapter 66 she is trying to find the cure for the curse and trust me when i say the following chapters are interesting Shocked Laughing Very Happy Wink

i don't want to give away spoilers or anything but well... it's one complex curse Shocked

Page 1 of 1

Jump to: