Usergroups  ·  Register ·    Profile  ·  Log in to check your private messages  ·   Log in     

Books damn it! Do we all know how to READ?

Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5 ... 49, 50, 51  Next
Books damn it! Do we all know how to READ?
Author
Ruri Hoshino

PostPosted: Sat Jun 01, 2002 8:25 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote
quote:
Originally posted by GreyWolfe:
Well as a fan of large novels, I can see why you may be turned off by Battlefield Earth. Then again, I read War and Peace cuz I was bored

Since this is going down the 'I like this and hate that, woe betide anyone who feels otherwise' I'll simply say that I happen to like L Ron Hubbard's works, even if I dont agree with Scientology. Other people probably hate him. Thats cool, since its your view and this is a democratic country. Just dont trash others because they happen to disagree with your point of view.

I'm not trashing others concerning their religeon if that is what you are implying and I don't want an argument over it. For me it's a personal view created from a family incident which I've held for at 15 years. I respect other religeons (not cults) as long as they don't try to change my view.
As for big books. I do read them but not if they go for more than 4 books. The Jackal Of Nar was 900 pages and the Memory, Sorrow and Thorn quartet was 3200 pages. I don't mind reading long series like the David Eddings, Anne Mc Caffrey or Roger Taylor books but again if I can't get interested in reading further into the series, I'll stop. That's my reasoning but I respect other views as well. If I sounded like I was attacking others beliefs, I'm sorry. It's just hard when you have co-workers and other people preaching to you about religeon and not respecting that you don't believe in it yourself.
This has gone off topic. Sorry

------------------
The day I can't appreciate being eight years old will be the saddest one for me.

I bow before you, my performance at an end
shadescream
Hajime Saitou

PostPosted: Tue Jun 04, 2002 10:39 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote
who here likes:
sara douglass
kate forsyth
david eddings
raymond e feist
maggie fury
holie lisle
(they are all great authors and ive got a ton more but i cant be bothered to list them)

edit:ive read almost all of their books!(that quite alot when i think about it!)
------------------
you hurt me with your words, but you just can keep me down!

[This message has been edited by shadescream (edited 04 June 2002).]
SSJ Trunks
Lin Minmay

PostPosted: Sun Jun 09, 2002 4:04 am    Post subject: Reply with quote
I used to read a lot when I was younger.. reading lots of thick books till 5am in the morning.. those were the days. The book(s) that I love the most were John Marsden's Tomorrow series..(actually any book by John Marsden) most probably because it had an effect on me and my relationships with friends... (and that it took a week for me to read )

*runs to library and borrows series again*
JESTER
Ruri Hoshino

PostPosted: Sun Jun 09, 2002 8:34 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote
quote:
Originally posted by shadescream:
who here likes:
sara douglass
kate forsyth
david eddings
raymond e feist
maggie fury
holie lisle

Sara Douglas is good with the Axis trilogy, Threshold and Beyond The Hanging Wall but her other bks have been a disapointment.
Kate Forsyth - I haven't read any of her bks yet but have the 1st of her bk series on my shelf.
David Eddings is a legend. I had his Belgariad sitting on the shelf for a couple of years until I was bored and started reading them.
Raymond E Feist. After the Riftwar trilogy, I found his other bks boring and only hope that he can create a new world..not carry on this series.
Maggie Furey is a great author. I loved her Artifacts Of Power quartet and her Shadowleague novels sound interseting.
Holie Lisle - Haven't read any of her bks but I've heard of her.
I saw yesterday Anne Mc Caffreys 4bk of the Catteni sequence in hardcover. I thought it was a trilogy and was suprised with the release of bk 4. After skimming through it, I am now wanting this book and the following bks that have to follow.
I also recommend reading the Battletech novels.
I'm tossing between David Gerrold's - Voyage Of The Star Wolf and Timothy Zahn's - The Icarus Hunt. Both sounding good.

------------------
The day I can't appreciate being eight years old will be the saddest one for me.

[This message has been edited by JESTER (edited 09 June 2002).]
Kakarot
Lin Minmay

PostPosted: Sun Jun 09, 2002 9:50 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote
I like reading fantasy books. I've read the Harry Potter series , almost finished the Deltora Quest series and some other fantasy ones but these are the famous ones that i've read.

------------------
Vegeta> Trunks, Bulma I do this for u, and yes even for u Kakarot.
Vegeta sacrificed himself against fat Buu for the sake of his loved ones.
Argowal
Shiina Tamai

PostPosted: Tue Jun 11, 2002 12:34 am    Post subject: Reply with quote
quote:
Originally posted by JESTER:
Sara Douglas is good with the Axis trilogy, Threshold and Beyond The Hanging Wall but her other bks have been a disapointment.

I didn't really like the axis trilogy for some reason. Haven't read any of her other ones.

David Eddings is a legend. I had his Belgariad sitting on the shelf for a couple of years until I was bored and started reading them.

I agree, he is one of my favourite authors.

Raymond E Feist. After the Riftwar trilogy, I found his other bks boring and only hope that he can create a new world..not carry on this series.

I think he is going to carry on the same world. I actually liked all of his books except the last one (I felt he ran out of ideas and so wrapped everything up way to fast to work properly)

Maggie Furey is a great author. I loved her Artifacts Of Power quartet and her Shadowleague novels sound interseting.

The artifacts of power series was fairly good. Same with the shadowleague series so far.

I also recommend reading the Battletech novels.

Me too

------------------
-------------------------

I've really got to think of a signature one of these days.
*scratches head*

[This message has been edited by Argowal (edited 11 June 2002).]
JESTER
Ruri Hoshino

PostPosted: Thu Jul 04, 2002 11:28 am    Post subject: Reply with quote
This is one thread that I couldn't let die.
I managed to read both Voyage Of The Star Wolf and The Icarus Hunt. Both are brilliant. I also managed to read The Middle Of Nowhere which is Star Wolfs sequal as well as Aliens vs Preditor omnibus 1 - Prey and Hunter's Planet. I really loved those books.
Now I tossing up between John Marco's Grand Design, Jeferrey Carver's Infinity Link, Crawford Killian's Eyas and David Niall Wilson's To Sift Through Bitter Ashes which is bk1 of The Grails Covenant which is part of Vampire - The Dark Ages universe. Besides watching anime and riding my motorcycle, reading books is also one of my greatest enjoyments.

------------------

[This message has been edited by JESTER (edited 04 July 2002).]
Psyprass
Eikichi Onizuka

PostPosted: Thu Jul 04, 2002 2:59 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote
quote:
Originally posted by Kakarot:
I like reading fantasy books. I've read the Harry Potter series , almost finished the Deltora Quest series and some other fantasy ones but these are the famous ones that i've read.

I love fantasy! I've also read Harry Potter, and such books like "The Silver Sun".

Has anyone writted a novel themselves? I have, and my parents want it published.
StorminNorman
Gillard-chan

PostPosted: Thu Jul 04, 2002 3:37 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote
quote:
Originally posted by Psyprass:
Has anyone writted a novel themselves? I have, and my parents want it published.

I've attempted about four novels, but I lose interest in them pretty easily. I get too distracted by other ideas that I have to write *now* and so the novel just loses it's shine. My most recent effort has petered out after 15000 words or so, and my longest attempt was over 30000 words. Took me nearly 2 years to write it all too.

The longest complete story I've ever written is just over 16000 words, and you can read it here.

Be warned: that's only the first draft... the second draft is the aforementioned 15000 word novel.

I'm writing a sort-of magic girl parody atm, and judging by my approach to it (interconnected short stories), I might be able to turn it into a proper novel once I've written all the parts (I've written part 3, and am writing part 2 atm).

I also have a pretty good idea for another novel that isn't SF/futuristic (although it will be cyberpunk-ish).

I really need to discover the secret of not getting distracted when writing a novel. I suspect I take after the Douglas Adams school of writing novels... take as long as you damn well want, and to hell with deadlines.

------------------
life is a canvas
and the paint is hope and promise
the world is ours
no one can ever take it from us.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website MSN Messenger
Shinannth
Shiki Tohno

PostPosted: Fri Jul 05, 2002 3:22 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote
quote:

Mightn't your parents be a little overly biased in that regard? Sorry.. that question sounds harsh, and I'm not meaning it to, but parents aren't really going to be that objective when it comes to praising their children's efforts.

------------------
"No free toasters!?!? I'm leaving."

Hyper C: Shin-chan, I know ~Trunks~ is somewhat moronic at times...well, quite often, he is still technically quite useful to the Onimitsu... Besides, I doubt the commander would take kindly to you incinerating another member of our group now would we. Remember how we talked about your behaviour? Setting people alight and slaughtering people for making comments on icecream is quite unladylike for a girl as cute as yourself. - Yume no Sakura - Chapter 14
Bad Vegeta
Washu Hakubi

PostPosted: Wed Jul 10, 2002 3:52 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote
I just started reading a while back I read this Book I'am Dave by Anne Holme I think it was a mad book I loved it and it was the only way I can go to sleep It's hard for me to sleep usually I stay up till 2 tryin to sleep and I just finished the first series of These books Deltora Quest their alright aswell uf u like adventure and magical stuff like me youd love them.
aimlesswanderer
Hajime Saitou

PostPosted: Wed Jul 10, 2002 9:32 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Eddings is good

Fiest is good, but i think it's time to come up with another world to mess and patch up

Mcaffrey is a genius. So many books, about many different things. Very impressive. May she live and write for ever.

Orson Scott Card, Gordon R Dickson, L E Modesitt, Eric Flint, and others i can't remember right now as well.

More scifi and fantasy is good. More scifi and fantasy anime is even better.
Shinannth
Shiki Tohno

PostPosted: Wed Jul 10, 2002 9:57 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote
quote:
Originally posted by aimlesswanderer:
Mcaffrey is a genius. So many books, about many different things. Very impressive. May she live and write for ever.

I used to think that.. except the majority of her recent books (ie. written in the past 10 years) have been written purely for the paycheck rather than because she actually had a decent storyline to write about. :/ I don't want her to write forever, she'll just fsck up more of her series if she does. >_< *burns The Masterharper of Pern & The Skies of Pern* They were on par with the hideous piece of crap that was the Dragonriders game (on PC & DC).
In happier news, the Pern TV series has been cancelled due to 'creative differences'. I'm relieved about that.

------------------
"No free toasters!?!? I'm leaving."

Hyper C: Shin-chan, I know ~Trunks~ is somewhat moronic at times...well, quite often, he is still technically quite useful to the Onimitsu... Besides, I doubt the commander would take kindly to you incinerating another member of our group now would we. Remember how we talked about your behaviour? Setting people alight and slaughtering people for making comments on icecream is quite unladylike for a girl as cute as yourself. - Yume no Sakura - Chapter 14
mib
Ayeka Masaki Jurai

PostPosted: Wed Jul 10, 2002 10:30 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote
Quote:
Shinannth: In happier news, the Pern TV series has been cancelled due to 'creative differences'. I'm relieved about that.

Where the difference is that they couldn't create her enough money.

- mib

------------------
独りでも平気よ
Shinannth
Shiki Tohno

PostPosted: Wed Jul 10, 2002 10:49 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote
quote:
Originally posted by mib:
Where the difference is that they couldn't create her enough money.

- mib

XD Splendid. She doesn't have a very nice attitude toward fans of her work.
Mr. Wendal
Cagalli Yula Attha

PostPosted: Thu Jul 11, 2002 3:30 am    Post subject: Reply with quote
I'm just about finished the first discworld novel, the colour of magic by terry pratchett. In what must be a world first, i got into the book because of the videogame. Scary.

What other books have been made into games? I know of the Raymond E Feist riftwar RPG for PC and the wheel of time, neither of which i have played...
Argowal
Shiina Tamai

PostPosted: Thu Jul 11, 2002 3:50 am    Post subject: Reply with quote
quote:
Originally posted by Mr. Wendal:

What other books have been made into games? I know of the Raymond E Feist riftwar RPG for PC

There have actually been a couple of games based on Feists novels - they were decent but not brilliant.

Another set of books that lots of games have been made about are of course Lord of the Rings.

I haven't bought many books (or games for that matter) lately cause I bin spending all of my cash on anime

Soon though I need to pick up Neverwinter Nights and there are a few books that have been begging me to buy them for the last couple of weeks.

------------------

*scratches head*

For Info On Avoiding Bootlegs
The Pirate Anime FAQ
QueenSaiyan
Batou

PostPosted: Thu Jul 11, 2002 10:11 am    Post subject: Reply with quote
I picked up a copy of "The Brothers Majere" yesterday. More Raistlin goodness, here I come ^.^
Armisael
.:Harlot:.

PostPosted: Thu Jul 11, 2002 10:51 am    Post subject: Reply with quote
Go Rainbow Six by Tom Clancy.
Ok this books rocks just like his other one Hunt For Red October.

-See you space cowboy...

------------------
Have you ever heard of Evil Knievel?

No. I have never seen Star Wars!
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website AIM Address
Samantha
Doraemon

PostPosted: Thu Jul 11, 2002 9:53 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote
quote:
Originally posted by Armisael:

Ok this books rock........

really?
Danny Tanner
Doraemon

PostPosted: Thu Jul 11, 2002 10:03 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote
Are you actually going to post anything worth reading instead of this 'der... *insert random sting of crap or one word here* kittenshit? (We have Tony for posts like that )

You've been here what?... a day?
I already hate you.

Become a usefull member of the madboard or get the hell out.

------------------
Knock Knock... Who's There?... Bob... Bob Saget.
Battle Maid
Hajime Saitou

PostPosted: Fri Jul 12, 2002 4:24 am    Post subject: Reply with quote
quote:
To tell the truth, I read entirely *too* much

I read pretty much anything fantasy: Feist, Eddings, McCaffery, Herbert, ect ect. Also I'm big on military fiction from Tom Clancy and Dale Brown. SciFi is big on my list as well.

Atm Im raving about Janny Wurts, her latest series being extremely good. Also the Farseer books by Robin Hobb are excellent.

I've got way to many books to mention...lets just say I just went out and bought a new bookshelf and it didnt even make a dent into the piles on the floor

P.S. The movie of Battlefield Earth was the biggest pile of crap I've ever scene and it absolutely butchered what is one of the best science fiction books you'll read.

GreyWolfe, would that Janny Wurts series be The Wars of Light and Shadow? That series is, hands down, my absolute favourite. Janny writes so beautifully...and her characters are just so complete; she's wonderful. I'm waiting with bated breath for the next book to come out!

Other favourites of mine are Harry Potter by J.K. Rowling, the Deverry series by Katharine Kerr, Elvenbane and Elvenblood by Andre Norton and Mercedes Lackey, the Riftwar Saga by Raymond Feist, The Empire series by Raymond Feist and Janny Wurts, the Belgariad series (including the Malloreon, Polgara the Sorceress, Belgarath the Sorcerer and the Rivan Codex) by David & Leigh Eddings, and the Rose of the Prophet trilogy by Margaret Weis and Tracy Hickman.

I'm currently reading the first book of the Wheel of Time series by Robert Jordan; The Eye of the World. I'm not all that far into it, but I can see already that he's a brilliant writer.

And this thread is wonderful! I'll be checking out that Vampire: The Masquerade series as soon as I can. Stories off-shooting from biblical myth always fascinate me, for some reason. And I'm so ashamed I haven't read anything of Douglas Adams yet; I'll be hunting his stuff down soon as well, for sure!

QueenSaiyan
Batou

PostPosted: Fri Jul 12, 2002 9:54 am    Post subject: Reply with quote
quote:
Originally posted by Battle Maid:
Other favourites of mine are ... the Rose of the Prophet trilogy by Margaret Weis and Tracy Hickman.

I'm currently reading the first book of the Wheel of Time series by Robert Jordan; The Eye of the World. I'm not all that far into it, but I can see already that he's a brilliant writer.

*points Battle Maid towards Dragonlance* There. Read. Now. Margaret Weis is Queen of Fantasy (or maybe Duchess).

Wheel of Time... Poor Robert Jordan is getting caught up in the Moneymaking Pothole of Crapness, as can be seen from books 8 and 9. Let's just hope that book 10, which is coming out in November, will be less of a disappointment.
Samantha
Doraemon

PostPosted: Fri Jul 12, 2002 10:42 am    Post subject: Reply with quote
quote:
Originally posted by Danny Tanner:
Are you actually going to post anything worth reading instead of this 'der... *insert random sting of crap or one word here* kittenshit? (We have Tony for posts like that )

You've been here what?... a day?
I already hate you.

Become a usefull member of the madboard or get the hell out.

oh shut up or i'll stick it up your ass!dont tell me to get out of here!why dont u?!?!i already hate u so get da hell out of madmanboard if your gonna insult me u idiot!!!
JESTER
Ruri Hoshino

PostPosted: Wed Jul 24, 2002 10:04 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote
I finished Grand Design and Eyas. Both brilliant. I'm going through a very weird and disturbing book called Dhalgren by Samuel R Delany. Optimus Prime should avoid this book since it has a male-male sexual encounter which nearly made me toss the book. The author though must've been on some really weird s*** when he wrote this book. Everything doesn't mesh properly from what I've read soo far and the story is soo weird when you read it. Despite all this, I'm actually starting to like it since it pushes me out of my comfort zone into the sick world Samuel R Delany has created.
I'm off to watch about another 10hrs of shows in one go. See yah

------------------

GreyWolfe
BT

PostPosted: Thu Jul 25, 2002 12:15 am    Post subject: Reply with quote
quote:
Originally posted by Battle Maid:
GreyWolfe, would that Janny Wurts series be The Wars of Light and Shadow? That series is, hands down, my absolute favourite. Janny writes so beautifully...and her characters are just so complete; she's wonderful. I'm waiting with bated breath for the next book to come out!

You're right this is what I was referring to, although technically the Light and Shadows series ended with 'The Warhost of Vastermark', while 'Fugitive Prince' started the new 'Alliance of Light' series. Bleh, its all the same and all good

[QUOTE]
And I'm so ashamed I haven't read anything of Douglas Adams yet; I'll be hunting his stuff down soon as well, for sure!
[QUOTE]

You *should* be ashamed Razz Douglas Adams should be made required reading in schools

[QUOTE]
*burns The Masterharper of Pern & The Skies of Pern* They were on par with the hideous piece of crap that was the Dragonriders game (on PC & DC).
[B][QUOTE]

Lol do I sense tension there? <G> You bought that game to? I thought it was okay, if you liked mindless rpgs with little plot and horrid DC conversion graphics and controls.

Whatever happened to the Pern movie that was being contemplated?

[QUOTE]
[B]Has anyone writted a novel themselves? I have, and my parents want it published.

Well I havent written a novel, but I write interactive and standalone fanfiction. I find it interesting *blink*

------------------
Noir,
The word comes from ancient past,
a name of destiny.
Two maidens who reign over death.
The warm black hands...
protect the peace of newly borns.
View user's profile Send private message Yahoo Messenger MSN Messenger ICQ Number
Mr. Wendal
Cagalli Yula Attha

PostPosted: Thu Jul 25, 2002 12:52 am    Post subject: Reply with quote
I'm reading two books right now:

1) Salman Rushdie's new book Fury, and

2) The Macquarie Dictionary so I can actually understand it.

Right now i spend more time reading the dictionary.
Psyprass
Eikichi Onizuka

PostPosted: Thu Jul 25, 2002 10:21 am    Post subject: Reply with quote
quote:
Originally posted by Mr Wendal:

Well I havent written a novel, but I write interactive and standalone fanfiction. I find it interesting *blink*

*also blinks*
Why don't you try writing a novel? It's quite a challenge actually.

------------------
Yusuke: I've come all this way. But what's the big deal? I mean, what's it gotten me? Why do I care...?

... Because... they need me.

Yu Yu Hakushou
GreyWolfe
BT

PostPosted: Thu Jul 25, 2002 11:26 am    Post subject: Reply with quote
Because I don't think I could keep my attention on it for the requisite amount of time and effort required :P

------------------
Noir,
a name of destiny.
The warm black hands...
View user's profile Send private message Yahoo Messenger MSN Messenger ICQ Number
YRD9000
Arumi Asahina

PostPosted: Thu Jul 25, 2002 12:48 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote
Hmmmm... Book taste goooood... (licks chops)

the champion of the STOAT recommends that you read anything by;
[list]
  • Micheal Moorcock. His novels/collections of shortish stories tend to be full of all the things that make life worth living (really evil nemisis', creative insight into myth and history, and a whole lotta mind distortion)
  • PKD(see previous posts on this thread for full name). Hehehehehe Mind Distortion...
  • Randy Rucker. yet another cyberpunk author, mind distortion ahoy!
  • George R. R. Martin. this guy KNOWS how to write a mediaeval fantasy novel. none of this prancing about having unkillable main characters, dodgy "love conquers all" bulldust. Nay, this feller gives it to you like a japanese hardcore wrestler, nails and all. who else can boast a different set of main characters for each novel in the series (due to gruesome deaths). evil characters so venomous, you end up spending the next few days in an imaginative stupor dreaming up scenarios in which they would get whats coming to 'em. and the best female hero character ever, bar none! (nine guesses as to how much I want GRRMartin to write some more focusing only on the adventures of Arya Stark...). Go Out There, find the 'Song of Fire and Ice' series and READ!!!
  • K J Parker. only read one novel by this feller, but DAMN it was a good un. 'Shadow', apparently it's the first in a series called 'Scavenger', but I haven't been able to find any more so I'll just have to content myself with imagining scenarios based on what I've read so far...
  • Frank Herbert (and his son, Kevin). the dune series is epic... now if only my local library could make the third book in the 'prelude to dune' series available to me... house corrino, your story shall be mine...
  • Anne McCaffrey. Okay, so she tends not to be able to write one novel without putting a cheesy Mills&Boone section in it, but, like the happy tunes of Shonen Knife, she is easy to digest and rather enjoyable. now if only the library would hurry up and bring in the next novel in the Freedom sequence, (Catteni scum).
  • Asimov. I recommend the Azazel short stories... funny how that little imp reminds me so much of the STOAT.
  • L.E.Modesitt Jr. the Order war series tends to be a little heavy on ethical considerations, but is enjoyable nonetheless. I STRONGLY RECOMMEND perusal of the Ghost series, it's a spy/alternate reality work that focuses on how world politics/history would have been if ghosts existed (don't flame me, I'm a sceptic), the main character is a retired Spazi agent who tries really hard, but is continually brought back into service as a 'consultant'. very enjoyable reading...
  • Robert Jordan. AAAARRRRGGGHHHH!!! why does he have to drag everything out so much?!?!?
  • Raymond E. Feist. IMO he kills off the wrong characters and keeps the doughie ones...
  • Homer. Anyone who has not yet read the Iliad, or the Odyssey is missing out on some of the greatest literature of ancient Greece.
  • Umberto Eco. Like Tolkien, Eco tends to fill his narrative with a lot background and interesting, yet ultimately superfluous 'stuff' that bears some, but not much influence upon the story. example; the amount of information about how renaisance philosophers tried to unravel the secret of longitude that was put into 'The Island of The Day Before'
  • Micheal Blumlein. this dude's a doctor, and his short stories contain a lot of medico jargon, but they are interesting nonetheless. read 'the Brains of Rats'...
  • Carlos Casteneda. takes your mind for a ride and doesn't give it back.

there are others, but those are the ones that come to mind at the moment...
    happy reading...

------------------
    "If you harm a hair on my daughter, I'll kill you..." (Armitage rocks ^_^)
    -=Facta non Verba=-
    Badman Vegeta
    Kenji Harima

PostPosted: Thu Jul 25, 2002 6:42 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote
    Looks up at bookshelf full of books...

Raymond E. Feist
    Well, I love his 1st book Magician & the rest of Riftwar series, plus all the other stuff he has done about Midkemia/Kelewan.

Robert Jordan
    The Weel Of Time is one of my fav series ever. It rocks & is a must read for all.

Terry Goodkind
    My fav author. His stuff has great characters & is my pick. The Sword of Truth series is Gold

Sara Douglas
    Her stuff is great. If ur into Fantasy u got the Axis & Wayfarer trilogies. If u liked movies like the Prophecy, get the Crucible series.

JRR Tolkien
    Crap. It's way too old school 4 me. Dont pick any up unless it has a DVD inside it

George R. R. Martin
    If u like to see the main characters die, but the baddies win, this is ur series. His stuff is good. "Song of Fire & Ice" series is very good

Brian Lumley
    Vampires, Military, & a person who sees dead people. The Necroscope series is my fav vamp series.

Stephen King
    Most of his stuff is great once u get past the 1st 100-200 pages of background (500 pages if ur reading IT). Reccomend "The Talisman"

Dean Koontz
    Do u think King suff is too slow? Well read some of this. I recommend "Dark Rivers Of The Heart"

I've got a lot of other stuff on the shelf too - David Eddings, Ian Irvine, David Gemmell, Graham Edwards, Terry Brooks. But they are'nt quite as note worthy, but still good.

Ahem. I started re-reading The The Talisman by Stephen King (which is very good) last night coz I just bought the book that comes after it - "Blackhouse". But once I finish, I will have to re-read The WOT series (for what? About the 5th time?) just so I'm refreshed on everything that has come before.

------------------
    My Anime DVD's.

[This message has been edited by Badman Vegeta (edited 25 July 2002).]
    QueenSaiyan
    Batou

PostPosted: Thu Jul 25, 2002 9:52 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote
    quote:
    Originally posted by YRD9000:
  • Anne McCaffrey. Okay, so she tends not to be able to write one novel without putting a cheesy Mills&Boone section in it
  • Robert Jordan. AAAARRRRGGGHHHH!!! why does he have to drag everything out so much?!?!?

• Uh... No. And no again. You, my good sir, completely misunderstand the concept of the female heroine. And, to prove you wrong, I don't think you've read "Decision At Doona", or the Acorna series, have you?
    mib
    Ayeka Masaki Jurai

PostPosted: Thu Jul 25, 2002 10:40 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote
    Quote:
    QueenSaiyan: You, my good sir, completely misunderstand the concept of the female heroine. ... "Decision At Doona"

Bwaahahaha... Just what other decisions would they be making under the doona?

- mib

------------------
    Unofficial Madman License Information -- Madman DVD Glitch List
    Know something I don't? E-mail me: mib@post.com
    JESTER
    Ruri Hoshino

PostPosted: Thu Jul 25, 2002 11:43 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote
    mib : Decision at Doona is alien contact novel. Big Brother - Doona special.
    After the 1st human contact with the Siwannese, that entire race committed mass suicide.
    So the Terran government made a law - no further contact would be allowed with sentient creatures anywhere in the galaxy. Therefore Doona could be colonized only if an official survey established that the planet was both habitable and uninhabited.
    But Spacedep had made a mistake - Doona was inhabited. Now the colonists choice was limited. Leave Doona and return to the teeming hell of an overpopulated Terra. Or kill the catlike Hrrubans.
    Or learn, for the first time in history, how to coexist with an alien race....

Anne McCaffrey doesn't have mill&boon like sections in her novels except for the period pieces of hers.

------------------

[This message has been edited by JESTER (edited 25 July 2002).]
    Argowal
    Shiina Tamai

PostPosted: Thu Jul 25, 2002 11:59 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote
    quote:
    Originally posted by JESTER:
    ....Or kill the catlike Hrrubans.....

I vote for this option (somehow I doubt I'm ever going to be selected as Earth's ambassador to any alien races ).

------------------

*scratches head*

The Pirate Anime FAQ
    StorminNorman
    Gillard-chan

PostPosted: Fri Jul 26, 2002 12:01 am    Post subject: Reply with quote
    Anne McCaffrey may not have Mills & Boon sections in her books, but she, along with Frank Herbert, write some of the most boring and uninteresting books I've ever had the displeasure of reading.

In other news, I seem to have developed something of a backlog of books to read at the moment...

Currently reading:
    The Reality Dysfunction by Peter F. Hamilton. Fantastic so far, but bloody long.

On the waiting list...
    Nausicaa of the Valley of Wind by Hayao Miyazaki. Yep, it's the Manga.
    Thief of Time by Terry Pratchett. Another day, another Pratchett.
    The Scar by China Mieville. The follow-up to Perdido Street Station.

Along with whatever the hell the new William Gibson book is called. Wasn't it supposed to be released in March anyway?

*grumbles and contemplates reading the Sprawl trilogy again.*

I might also wind up reading the Lazarus Long trilogy by Robert Heinlein.

------------------
    life is a canvas
    the world is ours
    View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website MSN Messenger
    Shinannth
    Shiki Tohno

PostPosted: Fri Jul 26, 2002 12:06 am    Post subject: Reply with quote
    quote:
    Originally posted by StorminNorman:
    Anne McCaffrey may not have Mills & Boon sections in her books, but she, along with Frank Herbert, write some of the most boring and uninteresting books I've ever had the displeasure of reading.

She's totally fscked up the Dragonriders of Pern with every paycheque induced addition to that series in the past 15 years... damn her. Xp I do find a lot of her other series boring though.
    GreyWolfe
    BT

PostPosted: Fri Jul 26, 2002 12:28 am    Post subject: Reply with quote
    hey Frank Herbert writes some good stuff...the Dune series rocked.

------------------
    Noir,
    a name of destiny.
    The warm black hands...
    Thordis
    Doraemon

PostPosted: Fri Jul 26, 2002 2:56 am    Post subject: Reply with quote
    Ahh books. I'm not nearly as much of a bookworm as I used to be..... (in grade 4 the teacher kept trying to get me to pay attention in class while I was attempting to read a book hidden under my desk).

I started off mainly on Asimov and Anne McCaffrey. Decision at Doona and The Ship Who Sang were my favourites when I was in grade 5. I read through my parent's collection of Asimov, but to this day, I still can't get myself interested in his Foundation novels.

~ Anne McCaffery- I loved the Planet Pirate novels (and I read Generation Warriors before I read the others, so I often I seem to read a series out of order- so help me, I'm weird.) + her Talent books. I didn't get into the Pern novels untill about 5 years later, my fave being Dragondrums. (Woo Piemur!)

~ Ursula K LeGuin- Ahh yes, the Earthsea books. Those were good, I felt Tehanu was a bit of a letdown- but thinking of it will always remind me of sitting in a minivan in front of a beer ad in the US. (Heh, I started reading it straight after I bought it).

~ David Eddings- Ahh, well written fantasy with jokes that have me giggling like a madman spaced throughout.

~ Douglas Addams- A great writer and I did enjoy his books, but his humour was based to much on the ridiculous for my tastes.

~ Terry Pratchett- An all time fave. The last.... 6 or 7 of his novels I bought while they were still in hardcover, I just couldn't wait for them to come out in paperback.

~ Harry Harrison- A great way to pass the time. My all time fave from him is Technicolour Time Machine (I saw it secondhand and just had to have it. The Stainless Steel Rat series - hey, it's been so long since I read those, and they were so good! I'll have to read them again sometime.

~ Robert A. Heinlen- Starship Troopers, woo! My fave was his short story The Menace From Earth.

~ Micheal A. Stackpole- Yes, the X-Wing books, but personally I preferred the ones by Aaron Allston- I like a touch of humour, and his novels were funnier. (Yay Face Loran, and Wes Janson in Starfighters of Adumar is a veritable riot.

~ C.S. Lewis- I have read *all* the Narnia books. Makes me think of a cup of tea in my favourite mug (a frequent companion when I was reading Prince Caspian and The Voyage of the DawnTreader

~ Brian Stableford- I own Halcyon Drift, Rhapsody in Black and Swan Song. The last two I was lucky to spot in a second-hand bookshop, before then I hadn't known he'd written any more in the series other than the first two. (BTW, the Wind Rocks!)

~ Larry Niven- Yes, I've read Ringworld, but what I liked best were his Gil Hamilton books. I once found Flatlander/ The Collected Tales of Gil 'the arm' Hamilton in the local library, and have never seen it again. (damn!)

Ah, memory lane, this is fun, remembering all the books I've read. As I continue strolling, two titles that come to mind:
    Night Walk ~ Bob Shaw
    Star Surgeon ~ Alan E. Nourse

Frank Herbert- His works I have never read. Well, one time I thumbed through Chapterhouse: Dune, but I couldn't make heads nor tails of it. From what I understand his stuff is pretty wordy/long-winded/too damn confusing.

And J.K. Rowling - Harry Potter- Seriously, is there anyone who hasn't read this series? Ahh yes, the books that were all over the news a while back because they were 'reintroducing' kids to the wonders of reading. And of course I had to see what all the fuss was about and promptly ended up owing a copy of the series.....

Why do I get the feeling that I will soon be making a bulk purchase from Amazon.com????

[This message has been edited by Thordis (edited 26 July 2002).]
    Psyprass
    Eikichi Onizuka

PostPosted: Fri Jul 26, 2002 10:29 am    Post subject: Reply with quote
    quote:
    Because I don't think I could keep my attention on it for the requisite amount of time and effort required :P

Ah well. Try short stories.

quote:
    Originally posted by Thordis:
    And J.K. Rowling - Harry Potter- Seriously, is there anyone who hasn't read this series? Ahh yes, the books that were all over the news a while back because they were 'reintroducing' kids to the wonders of reading. And of course I had to see what all the fuss was about and promptly ended up owing a copy of the series.....

I've read it, and may I announce that it's one of the most addictive series I have ever read. The storyline is so well done and makes you not want to put the book down because it has so many twists.

------------------
    Yusuke: I've come all this way. But what's the big deal? I mean, what's it gotten me? Why do I care...?

... Because... they need me.

Yu Yu Hakushou
    YRD9000
    Arumi Asahina

PostPosted: Fri Jul 26, 2002 12:44 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote
    quote:
    Originally posted by QueenSaiyan:
    I don't think you've read "Decision At Doona", or the Acorna series, have you?

I've read the Acorna series, but the library doesn't have Decision at Doona. Don't get me wrong, I enjoy reading Anne McCaffrey (I can't say how much I loved the Catteni sequence... damn library not getting the latest [4th] book in this series yet...), but it seems that each book of hers that I read, there tends to be a point about 3/4 of the way through where the main character gets down and dirty with the main heart-throb.

Just finished reading 'Silverheart' by Michael Moorcock last night... Very good stuff... Now I can get started reading this 'J.V. Jones' feller's stuff, if the flavour text is anything to go by, it should be good...

------------------
    "If you harm a hair on my daughter, I'll kill you..." (Armitage rocks ^_^)
    -=Facta non Verba=-
    QueenSaiyan
    Batou

PostPosted: Fri Jul 26, 2002 5:14 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote
    quote:
    Originally posted by YRD9000:
    ... the main character gets down and dirty with the main heart-throb.

And what's wrong with that?

Speaking of down and dirty... *cough* Has anyone read the sequel to "Plains of Passage" by Jean M. Auel? I'm waiting for it to get out of hardcover and into my price range.
    mib
    Ayeka Masaki Jurai

PostPosted: Fri Jul 26, 2002 8:01 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote
    Quote:
    JESTER: Decision at Doona is alien contact novel. Big Brother - Doona special.

I know, actually I've read it (and a few other of her novels -- Tower and Hive series, Crystal *, Killashandra, Power series). It just always strikes me that "Decision at Doona" is possibly the stupidest novel title ever.

Edit...

Quote:
    SN: The Scar by China Mieville

Hey, is that out? Did you import or is it a local release?

- mib

------------------
    Unofficial Madman License Information -- Madman DVD Glitch List
    Know something I don't? E-mail me: mib@post.com

[This message has been edited by mib (edited 26 July 2002).]
    StorminNorman
    Gillard-chan

PostPosted: Fri Jul 26, 2002 9:01 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote
    quote:
    Originally posted by mib:
    Hey, is that out? Did you import or is it a local release?

I saw it in Collins Booksellers in Chirnside Park. That counts as 'locally released' to me.

In other news, I can't believe no one's mentioned this yet...

The funniest book ever written, Good Omens by Terry Pratchett and Neil Gaiman is to be made into a film.

The best bit?

Terry Gilliam is directing it.

*salivates*

The end of the world will never be the same again.

------------------
    life is a canvas
    the world is ours
    Argowal
    Shiina Tamai

PostPosted: Fri Jul 26, 2002 11:44 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote
    Terry Pratchett's discworld books are best on tape . They're read by that guy...um...Baldrick from Black Adder, can't remember his real name . Very funny.

At the moment I'm reading The Jewel Of Turmish by Mel Odom (Forgotten Realms novel) and Initiation To War by Robert N Charrette (Mechwarrior novel). I also have one of the newer Raymond E Feist novels to read (legends of the riftwar series or something).

For anyone who likes the Wheel of Time series by Robert Jordan:

(from amazon)

Crossroads of Twilight (Wheel of Time, Book 10)
    November 12, 2002. (US Release)
    Hardcover: 672 pages

"In the tenth book of The Wheel of Time from the New York Times #1 bestselling author Robert Jordan, the world and the characters stand at a crossroads, and the world approaches twilight, when the power of the Shadow grows stronger.
    Fleeing from Ebou Dar with the kidnapped Daughter of the Nine Moons, whom he is fated to marry, Mat Cauthon learns that he can neither keep her nor let her go, not in safety for either of them, for both the Shadow and the might of the Seanchan Empire are in deadly pursuit.

Perrin Aybara seeks to free his wife, Faile, a captive of the Shaido, but his only hope may be an alliance with the enemy. Can he remain true to his friend Rand and to himself? For his love of Faile, Perrin is willing to sell his soul.

At Tar Valon, Egwene al'Vere, the young Amyrlin of the rebel Aes Sedai, lays siege to the heart of Aes Sedai power, but she must win quickly, with as little bloodshed as possible, for unless the Aes Sedai are reunited, only the male Asha'man will remain to defend the world against the Dark One, and nothing can hold the Asha'man themselves back from total power except the Aes Sedai and a unified White Tower.

In Andor, Elayne Trakland fights for the Lion Throne that is hers by right, but enemies and Darkfriends surround her, plotting her destruction. If she fails, Andor may fall to the Shadow, and the Dragon Reborn with it.

Rand al'Thor, the Dragon Reborn himself, has cleansed the Dark One's taint from the male half of the True Source, and everything has changed. Yet nothing has, for only men who can channel believe that saidin is clean again, and a man who can channel is still hated and feared-even one prophesied to save the world. Now, Rand must gamble again, with himself at stake, and he cannot be sure which of his allies are really enemies."

------------------

*scratches head*

The Pirate Anime FAQ
    QueenSaiyan
    Batou

PostPosted: Sat Jul 27, 2002 12:31 am    Post subject: Reply with quote
    Mmmm... Book 10... *spasm of delight*
    Shinannth
    Shiki Tohno

PostPosted: Sat Jul 27, 2002 8:19 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote
    quote:
    Originally posted by Argowal:
    Terry Pratchett's discworld books are best on tape . They're read by that guy...um...Baldrick from Black Adder, can't remember his real name . Very funny.

Is that Tony Robinson?

Anyone remember that show that he did, from the 80's, called Fat Tulip's Garden?
    StorminNorman
    Gillard-chan

PostPosted: Sat Jul 27, 2002 8:25 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote
    quote:
    Originally posted by Shinannth:
    Anyone remember that show that he did, from the 80's, called Fat Tulip's Garden?

Yes, I remember that. I didn't realise it was him though, but I'm not a huge Blackadder fan.

I don't recall liking Fat Tulip's Garden much though, but I was pretty young when I watched it.

------------------
    life is a canvas
    the world is ours
    merric
    Shinji Ikari

PostPosted: Sat Jul 27, 2002 9:40 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote
    quote:

That was with the frogs and stuff, right?

I loved that show! It was about the best thing ever on the ABC.
    View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail AIM Address MSN Messenger ICQ Number
    Argowal
    Shiina Tamai

PostPosted: Sun Jul 28, 2002 2:27 am    Post subject: Reply with quote
    quote:
    Is that Tony Robinson?

Ahha, yep that's his name. Hilarious bloke. That show with the "frogs" was very funny too

------------------

*scratches head*

The Pirate Anime FAQ

Page 4 of 51

Jump to: