Usergroups  ·  Register ·    Profile  ·  Log in to check your private messages  ·   Log in     

Books damn it! Do we all know how to READ?

Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6 ... 49, 50, 51  Next
Books damn it! Do we all know how to READ?
Author
Kenji Harima

PostPosted: Sun Jul 28, 2002 1:36 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote
mmm book 10. Now all thats left is the waiting game. I cant wait 2 find out how Mat is goin - he's my fav character.
YRD9000
Arumi Asahina

PostPosted: Mon Jul 29, 2002 3:35 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote
Ahh.. Tony Robinson, who also did a show on ABC where he told the story of Homer's Odyssey.

Update on J.V.Jones novel, It's very, very good. the best measure of this is the fact that I could not get to sleep until after I had read 'that little bit more'. I ended up trying to sleep about seven times in a row, and finally succeded at about 0430 hrs this morning (my first attempt to sleep was at 1230 hrs). Now that, to me, indicates a truly involving narrative...

------------------
"If you harm a hair on my daughter, I'll kill you..." (Armitage rocks ^_^)
-=Facta non Verba=-
Chibi_Usagi_Senshi
Doraemon

PostPosted: Tue Jul 30, 2002 7:06 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote
I read ALOT and the books that i like are things by: Tracy Harding, David Eddings, Jrr Tolkein and JK Rowling (HAH april fools!!! bout that last one.... hehehehe... and to all who will say'hey!! it isnt april' let me say 'hey!! it is in my world' and if anyone wants to know, in my world there are catgirls galore and everyone speaks Japanese. Mmmmm perfect world...... I should go now k

------------------
"Mankind... you are an ignorant race! How foolish it is to believe that your kind rules the Earth! Know now that you are not alone! There are unseen worlds which exist parallel to yours. These are the worlds of the Makai, a race of demons, and the Jyujinkai, those who are half-human and half-beast. There is an ancient legend, a prophecy, fortelling the appearance of a superbeing every 3000 years. He is called the CHOJIN, a god above all gods, the Overfiend. The Chojin will appear through the body of a human and, with his great power, he will unite the three worlds. He will create a new world, a world of peace and harmony. His time has now come. Ignorant humans- the truth shall now be revealed!"
JESTER
Ruri Hoshino

PostPosted: Fri Sep 06, 2002 11:37 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote
Since my last post on this thread, I finished Dhalgren and read a few other books. Dhalgren was psychotic and twisted. Samuel R Delany should be put into restraints for the rest of his life for writing this novel. Also read Rally Cry by William R Forstchen which was bk 1 of The Lost Regiment. It's based about a group of Union Army soldiers from the US civil war in mid 1800's getting transported into another world where humanity is cattle for the Tugar horde. I would recommend this series. Also reading Vast by Linda Nagata which is about the last remnant of humanity seeking revenge against the killer ships who pretty much wipe us and quite a few other races into extinction. An interesting read. It's not quite the norm as it goes and only The Hidden War by Michael Armstrong goes in the same sort of direction.
Waiting for 1633 to come out in paperback, but that will take another year since it just came out in hardcover. 1633 is the sequal to 1632 by Eric Flint.

------------------
The day I can't appreciate being eight years old will be the saddest one for me.

I bow before you, my performance at an end
JESTER
Ruri Hoshino

PostPosted: Sun Oct 27, 2002 8:53 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote
WWWAAAAAAAIIII!!. Bk 4 of The Guardian Cycle by Julia Gray titled 'The Red Glacier' came out in paperback. If you wonder why I'm happy, is that this is the only series, I'm willing to pay $20 for a paperback. I just finished reading this book. It only took me 2 days to read it. It was soo good. Also it appears that the next book will be the last in one of the most absorbing series I've come across. This series ranks in the top 10 of my alltime fav series.

The Empire Stone by Chris Bunch is diferent to his normal descriptive sex and violence style of writing. It took me 2 days to read it and for those who have read his Seer King Trilogy, would enjoy this even more. This book is about the adventures of Peirol - a dwarf like jeweler who is sent on the quest of recovering this very powerful jewel to the wizard who saved his ass. His adventures includes wenching, being a slave, being not a slave, lots of excitement and even more wenching.
It's not nearly as explicit as the Seer King Trilogy, but way more enjoyable as he gets himself out of one disaster after another just to complete his task and to have his way with the wizards grand daughter.

------------------
Death is a doorway
Life is a highway
I'm immortal so get the bloody hell out of my way.

[This message has been edited by JESTER (edited 27 October 2002).]
StorminNorman
Gillard-chan

PostPosted: Sun Oct 27, 2002 10:45 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote
I finally finished 'The Reality Dysfunction' the other week. Magnificent stuff, will be looking forward to reading the other two books in the trilogy.

I've gone on a bit of a manga binge since then, having read Nausicaš and currently reading Akira.

I've got a few books in my 'to-read' pile though, including China Miťville's 'The Scar', Terry Pratchett's 'Thief of Time', and the remainder of the Nights Dawn trilogy by Peter F. Hamilton.

And that's before the new Gibson novel comes out...

------------------
big city kodoku na heart to heart
minna ai no mayoigo
big city namida wa day by day
nemuranai omoi wo yusaburu dake
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website MSN Messenger
YRD9000
Arumi Asahina

PostPosted: Sun Oct 27, 2002 11:36 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote
quote:
Originally posted by StorminNorman:
...Terry Pratchett's 'Thief of Time'...

does that mean that you've read the two TP books that have been released since that?

RARG! the second book in J.V. Jones' new series is out! and the library should be getting it to me sometime in the not too distant future... *rubs hands in expectation*

------------------
YRD: Is that the EVA theme?
Schraps: Yeah. ParaParaMAX are playing it.
YRD: Dude, that's fast... I like it!
-=Facta non Verba=-
Argowal
Shiina Tamai

PostPosted: Mon Oct 28, 2002 7:29 am    Post subject: Reply with quote
quote:
I finally finished 'The Reality Dysfunction' the other week. Magnificent stuff, will be looking forward to reading the other two books in the trilogy.

Wow, that took you a while

*still waiting for the next Wheel of Time book to be released*

------------------
---------------

245 anime DVDs in my collection and growing

Favourite Anime: Princess Nine

For Info On Avoiding Bootlegs
The Pirate Anime FAQ
QueenSaiyan
Batou

PostPosted: Mon Oct 28, 2002 3:12 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote
Last week I finished reading one of the new Dragonlance books "Dragons of a Fallen Sun" by Margaret Weis and Tracy Hickman, and then zoomed through "Sorrow's Light" by Fredia Warrington, which was one of the most original books I've come across in quite a while.

Right now I'm about 1/3 of the way through Ship of Magic by Robin Hobb (aka Megan Lindholm, my favourite author ^.^)

------------------
I... I... I... wanted to return to the way I was long ago! I wanted to return to the brutal, cold-blooded Saiya-jin that I was, so I could fight all-out with you and not worry about anything! I hated it! I hated how, before I had realised it, I had been influenced by you guys and become so gentle!
I, of all people, had a family.
It wasn't an unpleasant feeling...

Vegeta Lovers - Forever devoted to the prodigal prince of bloodshed
Psyprass
Eikichi Onizuka

PostPosted: Mon Oct 28, 2002 3:15 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote
I'm reading a book about journalism called "From deadline to headline". It's even autographed by the author, so it's my most prized possesion.

------------------
There's a little feline in all of us..
Darth Tallis
Van Fanel

PostPosted: Mon Oct 28, 2002 6:27 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote
The only book I'm waiting on right now is the next part of the Dark Tower series by Stephen King. Does anyone know if he's working on it now?

------------------
Why does everyone think wearing a lab coat and glasses automatically makes you insane?!

(17 days until Star Wars Episode II DVD )

[This message has been edited by Tallis (edited 28 October 2002).]
StorminNorman
Gillard-chan

PostPosted: Mon Oct 28, 2002 6:35 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote
Stephen King has retired from writing. The only new King novels are those he wrote years ago which his publisher has decided to release now in order to maintain the illusion that he still writes.

Sadly, it seems the Dark Tower series (which is King's best work, without question) will not be completed.

------------------
minna ai no mayoigo
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website MSN Messenger
QueenSaiyan
Batou

PostPosted: Mon Oct 28, 2002 8:45 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote
He has? Schat. He was my favourite author (except for maybe Dean Koontz) when I was in my Let's-Read-Horror-Novels Phase. ^_^;
Kamiccollo
Doraemon

PostPosted: Mon Oct 28, 2002 9:04 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote
I Am A Raymond E. Fiest Fan And recomend
Series Title:
The Riftwar Saga:
Magician
Silverthorn
A Darkness at Sethanon

The Empire Trilogy:
Daughter of the Empire
Servant of the Empire
Mistress of the Empire

Riftwar Cycle:
Prince of the Blood
The Kings Buccaneer

The Serpentwar Saga:
Shadow of a Dark Queen
Rise of a Merchant Prince
Rage of a Demon King
Shards of a Broken Crown

The Riftwar Legacy:
Krondor: The Betrayal
Krondor: The Assassins
Krondor: Tear of the Gods Krondor: The Crawler (Not Released Yet)Krondor: The Dark Mage (Not Released Yet)

The Legends of the Riftwar:
Honoured Enemy
Murder in LaMut
Jimmy the Hand (Not Released Yet)

Conclave of the Shadows:
Talon of the Silver Hawk
King of Foxes (Not Released Yet)

I believe the ones that aren't out yet will be just as great as the one out cause i've read them and didn't hate one of them

[This message has been edited by Kamiccollo (edited 28 October 2002).]
StorminNorman
Gillard-chan

PostPosted: Mon Oct 28, 2002 9:28 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote
quote:
Originally posted by QueenSaiyan:
(except for maybe Dean Koontz)

How many Koontz novels did it take you to realise that all his books are exactly the same?

------------------
minna ai no mayoigo
Rice God
Doraemon

PostPosted: Mon Oct 28, 2002 11:12 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote
I finished, 'The Farseer Trilogy' by Robin Hobb two days ago... I can honestly say that she is my favourite author along with Isobelle Carmody. Talking of Isobelle Carmody, she released her sequel to Darkfall a couple of days ago and i've yet to read it... Just need some cash to go and buy it first! Right now i thought i'd have a change from reading science fiction and my friend sent me a book (typed out). So i've been trying to sit at my comp reading all 63 pages of tiny size 8 font (but i've changed it to 10 making a grand total of....i can't be bothered to check the total page numbers!). Now you all may think i'm wierd for reading this but, meh ~shrugs~.... The Satanic Bible by Anton LaVey which is a very interesting read. And for those people who think it's about devil worshiping - it's not!
That is all....
-Rice God
QueenSaiyan
Batou

PostPosted: Mon Oct 28, 2002 11:42 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote
quote:
How many Koontz novels did it take you to realise that all his books are exactly the same?

Thankfully my stint was short, but I'd say about 2 or 3 >_<
Kardith
Arumi Asahina

PostPosted: Tue Oct 29, 2002 9:19 am    Post subject: Reply with quote
Nyah, upon Queenie's recomendation i'm (slowly ) reading Harpy's Flight by Megan Lindholm, it's quite good.
I also read The Bourne Identity, which is completely diferent from the movie they based on it. *kicks film directors*

------------------
What are we? The Damned childer of Caine? The grotesque lords of humanity? The pitiful wretches of eternal hell? We are vampires, and that is enough. I am vampire, and that is far more than enough. I am that which must be feared, worshipped and adored. The world is mine - now and forever.

[This message has been edited by Kardith (edited 29 October 2002).]
Darth Tallis
Van Fanel

PostPosted: Tue Oct 29, 2002 12:50 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote
quote:
Stephen King has retired from writing. The only new King novels are those he wrote years ago which his publisher has decided to release now in order to maintain the illusion that he still writes.

Sadly, it seems the Dark Tower series (which is King's best work, without question) will not be completed.

NOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOO!!!!!!!!

------------------
Why does everyone think wearing a lab coat and glasses automatically makes you insane?!

(16 days until Star Wars Episode II DVD )

[This message has been edited by Tallis (edited 29 October 2002).]
nazaikari
Hajime Saitou

PostPosted: Fri Nov 01, 2002 5:58 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote
I don't like books that much but that were on
the topic,I had to write a speech on being a book,and I gots me an "A" .by the way me
favourite books are captain underpants.

Kardith
Arumi Asahina

PostPosted: Fri Nov 01, 2002 6:17 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote
I got myself the first 2 volumes in the Vampire Chronicles by Anne Rice the other day (Interveiw With The Vampire and The Vampire Lestat) I can't wait to start reading them.

------------------
What are we? The Damned childer of Caine? The grotesque lords of humanity? The pitiful wretches of eternal hell? We are vampires, and that is enough. I am vampire, and that is far more than enough. I am that which must be feared, worshipped and adored. The world is mine - now and forever.
Tetsuo
Doraemon

PostPosted: Fri Nov 01, 2002 8:02 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote
Reading= "HAGAKURE - the book of the samurai" by Yamamoto Tsunetomo

YRD9000
Arumi Asahina

PostPosted: Fri Nov 01, 2002 8:33 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote
quote:
Originally posted by Tetsuo:
Reading= "HAGAKURE - the book of the samurai" by Yamamoto Tsunetomo

Try "The Book of Five Rings" by Miyamato Musashi

------------------
YRD: Is that the EVA theme?
Schraps: Yeah. ParaParaMAX are playing it.
YRD: Dude, that's fast... I like it!
-=Facta non Verba=-
JESTER
Ruri Hoshino

PostPosted: Fri Nov 01, 2002 10:37 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote
Starting to read Tad Williams - Otherland series. Since all the other books I've read by him are good, I'll read this. Also I love Michael Whelans artwork. Love it soo much, I bought his artbook for $75, a good few years ago.

------------------
Death is a doorway
Life is a highway

[This message has been edited by JESTER (edited 01 November 2002).]
The Fake News
Lin Minmay

PostPosted: Sat Nov 02, 2002 12:33 am    Post subject: Reply with quote
Well currently:

I'm reading:
Terry Prachett's 'The Last Hero'
'Soul of the Fire' by Terry Goodkind
'Legend' by David Gemmell

Waiting for:
George R. R. Martin's lazy arse to write the next 'Song of Ice and Fire' book
The third instalment of Robin Hobb's 'Tawny Man' trilogy
The next Discworld novel
Pratchett and Gaimann to write a sequel to 'Good Omens' (everyone here should read 'Good Omens', by the way)
A new Drenai Novel

Thinking:
I should finish reading the 'Wheel of Time' series
As well as David Gemmell's 'Jerusalem Man' trilogy

Western Comics: (okay so they aren't technically books, but I am reading them and they aren't manga)
21 Down
Gen 13 volume 2
X-0

[This message has been edited by The Fake News (edited 02 November 2002).]
Zedstar
Madboard Mod

PostPosted: Sat Nov 02, 2002 7:22 am    Post subject: Reply with quote
ATM- I just finished reading the first 3 Flashman books by George MacDonald Fraser. Some parts are interesting, other parts suckful.

I am currently reading "Lady Chatterley's Lover" by D H Lawrence, and "The Salmon Of Doubt" by Douglas Adams. Ahhh.... Doug- how much have I missed thee.

Once I have finished all of them I shall start on Mein Kampf by everyone's favourite real life villain Hitler. Very curious to see how someone who I would think is CLEARLY insane and not fit to run a race, let alone a country, managed to get so popular.

Then possibly try reading "Closing Time" by Joseph Heller again. I tried previously, but the sequel to Catch-22 (my alltime favourite book) is notably inferior to the original.

Ah comics.. I really need to go and pick mine up. I haven't gone and picked up my order for AGES. *guilt*

^_^ Zedstar

------------------
ChibiChibi.. Now with Fanservice!
StorminNorman
Gillard-chan

PostPosted: Sat Nov 02, 2002 11:03 am    Post subject: Reply with quote
quote:
Originally posted by The Fake News:
Pratchett and Gaimann to write a sequel to 'Good Omens' (everyone here should read 'Good Omens', by the way)

Funniest. Book. Ever.

Terry Gilliam is directing the movie.

That is all.

------------------
minna ai no mayoigo
QueenSaiyan
Batou

PostPosted: Sat Nov 02, 2002 11:06 am    Post subject: Reply with quote
Ack, I just remembered Robert Jordan's 10th Wheel of Time book's coming out this month... Aah, couldn't be stuffed reading through the entire damn series at the moment.

Has anybody read Tailchaser's Song by Tad Williams? That was strange but entertaining.. And if I had a cat I would call it Fritti. ^^;
The Fake News
Lin Minmay

PostPosted: Sat Nov 02, 2002 7:18 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote
quote:
Originally posted by Zedstar:

Once I have finished all of them I shall start on Mein Kampf by everyone's favourite real life villain Hitler. Very curious to see how someone who I would think is CLEARLY insane and not fit to run a race, let alone a country, managed to get so popular.

Actually Satan is my favourite real life villian, although I don't believe in him. It's actually very easy to understand Hitler's popularity (strong leadership, charisma, graet piblic speaking skills as well as restoring Germany's economy whilst other countries were suffering during the depression- besides which he wasn't verifiably insane, his hatred of Jews was fairly typical of the time), but you won't find out reading Mein Kampf. A load of boring, verbose tripe as far as I've been told.

X-0

JESTER
Ruri Hoshino

PostPosted: Sat Nov 02, 2002 9:41 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote
quote:
Originally posted by QueenSaiyan:
Has anybody read Tailchaser's Song by Tad Williams? That was strange but entertaining.. And if I had a cat I would call it Fritti. ^^;

I read it about 6 months ago. It was quite entertaining in catty way. Oh the disappointment for Tailchaser.

The only other book that reminded me of Tailchasers Song is Terry Pratchets - The Carpet People.

------------------
Death is a doorway
Life is a highway
Zedstar
Madboard Mod

PostPosted: Sat Nov 02, 2002 11:01 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote
quote:
Originally posted by The Fake News:
Actually Satan is my favourite real life villian, although I don't believe in him. It's actually very easy to understand Hitler's popularity (strong leadership, charisma, graet piblic speaking skills as well as restoring Germany's economy whilst other countries were suffering during the depression- besides which he wasn't verifiably insane, his hatred of Jews was fairly typical of the time), but you won't find out reading Mein Kampf. A load of boring, verbose tripe as far as I've been told.

X-0

I doubt in the real existence of Satan, but Hitler did exist and while people have said that it was that he was charismatic... I just think he looks very strange in all the footage I have seen of him... and all that "emotey" way of speaking just makes me not trust whoever is talking. I am intrigued by what I call the "Cult of Personality" (Huzzah for Living Colour) or what makes people place their thought processes in the hands of someone that they are not personally acquainted with. My inner cynic just doesn't really trust anyone to think for me sensibly. I shall be curious to see what is going on with it tho, hopefully it won't be so boring that I really struggle with it.. I have a Jung book that I'm wanting to get into.

^_^ Zedstar

------------------
ChibiChibi.. Now with Fanservice!
merric
Shinji Ikari

PostPosted: Sun Nov 03, 2002 12:20 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote
quote:
Originally posted by Zedstar:

It's less interesting than you might think - it's quite a bizarre rant, but it gets old after the first dozen pages IMHO. It'd be funny if not for the fact that he was directly responsible for the deaths of some 60 million people...

Addendum: If you're after a good book about Hitler, check out 'Telling Lies About Hitler' by Richard Evans.

[This message has been edited by merric (edited 03 November 2002).]
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail AIM Address MSN Messenger ICQ Number
Tetsuo
Doraemon

PostPosted: Mon Nov 04, 2002 6:20 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote
quote:
Originally posted by YRD9000:
Try "The Book of Five Rings" by Miyamato Musashi

Have only seen it in hard cover, waiting for soft cover

PostPosted: Tue Nov 05, 2002 5:58 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote
to the top with you
(post count = post count + 1)

JESTER
Ruri Hoshino

PostPosted: Thu Jan 30, 2003 11:29 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote
It's been getting near 2 months since this thread was here, so I'll bring back from the dead once more.

I've just finished reading CJ Cherryh's Defender which is bk 5 of the Foreigner Universe. Quite a good read like the rest of the series. I gotta love the old grandma who nearly killed the starships captain with poison. You sure gotta be carefull with the elderly these days.
Anyway I also finished what Love Hina manga I have as well as the book Blue Silence and CJ Cherryh's Chronicles Of Morgaine and its sequel Exile's Gate. I am looking at reading Anvil Of The Sun by Anne Lesley Groell and Piers Anthony's Battle Circle trilogy.

Well that's it at the moment.

------------------
Murder, mayhem and laughter. The Lost Chronicles - The Jester Wars.

Zoids - A pyschotic world and in need of a hero. STORM LOCKED! - Read it!

[This message has been edited by JESTER (edited 31 January 2003).]
scroll
Ranpha Franboise

PostPosted: Thu Jan 30, 2003 11:33 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote
i have trouble reading

------------------
Hey, did you ever hear the one bout the owl and the squirrel?
Squirrel works all summer storing away stuff for the winter, all kinds of nuts and seeds, works real hard.
Then one day, just before the first snow he does outside for one last look around, when all of a sudden this owl swoops down and grabs him, carries him off.
ahhh, what a shame says the squirrel, cause whats gonna happen to all that good food?
Kermi
resonance cascade

PostPosted: Fri Jan 31, 2003 6:00 am    Post subject: Reply with quote
quote:
Originally posted by merric:
It's less interesting than you might think - it's quite a bizarre rant, but it gets old after the first dozen pages IMHO. It'd be funny if not for the fact that he was directly responsible for the deaths of some 60 million people...

I believe I learned in Modern History that Hitler wrote this book through dictation, and generally at random, whenever he was in the mood to do so. This means that he would work himself up into a lather about whatever was on his mind, dictate it to someone, usually getting repetitive in his passions, then once he felt he had enough material, put all the pages together and had it published.

Seriously.

------------------
She says I'm the one she really wants, but I'll never be the one that she needs.
I'm not here to be a creep, I'm just feelin' incomplete... take me home...
StorminNorman
Gillard-chan

PostPosted: Fri Jan 31, 2003 7:53 am    Post subject: Reply with quote
While we're on the subject of books, I'd just like to say that god has a new book coming out.

It's called 'Pattern Recognition', and what I've read of the first chapter makes me want to stop writing forever.

I'm currently working my way through the Akira manga. It's fantastic stuff, and makes a hell of a lot more sense than the movie.

------------------
fall into a light sleep watashi ni michiru
I don't carry out yakusoku wa yagate
itsukano kagayaki suteta
kaerenai asa no hikari noyou
ssj_zorella
Rei Ayanami

PostPosted: Fri Jan 31, 2003 10:04 am    Post subject: Reply with quote
*jumps in thread*

I'm reading Cyber Killers... good book, giving me ideas >

------------------
heh heh, I've spent the past half and hour chasing a big spider out the house. He's outside now, but so is a whole shelving sysytem.

I am not kidding......

Darkstar
QueenSaiyan
Batou

PostPosted: Fri Jan 31, 2003 12:24 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote
I was thinking of resurrecting this thread a few days ago, actually I'm currently reading The Ill-made Mute by Cecilia Dart-Thornton. The fact that she's an Australian author makes me respect her style of writing even more, she's brilliant. She's combined traditional Celtic myth with her own highly original ideas, and I'm becoming increasingly disparaged with my puny ambition to become an author. *cries*

Before that, I read Luck of The Wheels by Megan Lindholm, Pandora by Anne Rice, The Bewitchments of Love and Hate and its sequel The Fulfilments of Fate and Desire by Storm Constantine.

So yeah, Queenie's Author Recommendations are Storm Constantine and Cecilia Dart-Thornton. ^_^
ssj_zorella
Rei Ayanami

PostPosted: Fri Jan 31, 2003 1:34 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote
Um, I needed some new authours, thankx Queenie.

- I didn't really like Pandora, don't know why.

------------------
heh heh, I've spent the past half and hour chasing a big spider out the house. He's outside now, but so is a whole shelving sysytem.

I am not kidding......

Darkstar
James T
Shinobu Nagumo

PostPosted: Fri Jan 31, 2003 4:04 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote
quote:
While we're on the subject of books, I'd just like to say that god has a new book coming out.

Oh boy!

Quote:
It's called 'Pattern Recognition', and what I've read of the first chapter makes me want to stop writing forever.

Double oh boy!

------------------
"Television's tryin' to get Del to listen to their garbage and gobbledegook / So I read a book / I prefer manga / with mecha / and my respectable rhyme styles and textures / Yes you're getting extra!"
scroll
Ranpha Franboise

PostPosted: Fri Jan 31, 2003 6:56 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote
im reading the back cover of a perfect blue dvd thats in my collection yet never been unwrapped. still in its plastic casing.

------------------
Squirrel works all summer storing away stuff for the winter, all kinds of nuts and seeds, works real hard.
Then one day, just before the first snow he does outside for one last look around, when all of a sudden this owl swoops down and grabs him, carries him off.
ahhh, what a shame says the squirrel, cause whats gonna happen to all that good food?
ssj_zorella
Rei Ayanami

PostPosted: Sat Feb 01, 2003 9:47 am    Post subject: Reply with quote
Um.. yeah. You've at least seen the movie right?

------------------
------/:\--------------------------------------------------------/:\-------
-----/::::\----------------------Darkstar-----------------------/::::\------
----/:::::::\------------------- Madwoman--------------------/::::::\-----
scroll
Ranpha Franboise

PostPosted: Sat Feb 01, 2003 9:51 am    Post subject: Reply with quote
yeah i have but its not very rewatchable so when i got it i didnt bother to unwrap it until i actually want to watch it.

that'll be a while ;P. great movie though^_^

------------------
Blue Earth
Washu Hakubi

PostPosted: Sat Feb 01, 2003 8:45 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote
Books...Has anyone read anything by Gene Wolfe? Particularly the Book of the New Sun or the Book of the Long Sun? These are two of the best books EVER written and will go down in history. When I finished reading the Book of the New Sun, this feeling just came over me, and it was like...unexplainable. This book is a MUST for all sci-fi fans. No all people who read, even if you don't like sci-fi, this book is one of the greatest writings ever. The complexity, the originality, the total completeness of the book is simply breathtaking, and something that will always stay in my memory. I can't praise this book enough. So, has anyone read it?

I also recommend Robert Sheckley. Nothing like a bit of wonderful (and utterly total) insanity.

[This message has been edited by Blue Earth (edited 01 February 2003).]
JESTER
Ruri Hoshino

PostPosted: Sat Feb 01, 2003 11:13 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote
quote:
Originally posted by Blue Earth:
Books...Has anyone read anything by Gene Wolfe? Particularly the Book of the New Sun or the Book of the Long Sun? These are two of the best books EVER written and will go down in history. When I finished reading the Book of the New Sun, this feeling just came over me, and it was like...unexplainable. This book is a MUST for all sci-fi fans. No all people who read, even if you don't like sci-fi, this book is one of the greatest writings ever. The complexity, the originality, the total completeness of the book is simply breathtaking, and something that will always stay in my memory. I can't praise this book enough. So, has anyone read it?

I read those books a good few years ago. Made me feel weird in the end. Sort of life Phillip Jose Farmers - Daybreaker novels ( I think it was Daybreaker).

------------------
Murder, mayhem and laughter. The Lost Chronicles - The Jester Wars.

Zoids - A pyschotic world and in need of a hero. STORM LOCKED! - Read it!
The Fake News
Lin Minmay

PostPosted: Sun Feb 02, 2003 2:37 am    Post subject: Reply with quote
Right now I'm reading 'The Pillars of Creation' by Terry Goodking. Before that I read 'Night Watch' by Terry Pratchett. It's probably the best thing he's written for a few years...

Playing Eternal Darkness has given me a hankering for some H.p Lovecraft. Everyone should read 'The Music of Eric Zahn', it's only about 11 pages long but incredibly wierd and intense...
X-0
Kermi
resonance cascade

PostPosted: Sun Feb 02, 2003 2:44 am    Post subject: Reply with quote
Damn it, my thread is gimped. It's showing 249 replies when there are really 250, so the 6th page isn't showing up...
Knight of L-sama
Masamune Shirow

PostPosted: Sun Feb 02, 2003 9:30 am    Post subject: Reply with quote
quote:
Originally posted by merric:
Addendum: If you're after a good book about Hitler, check out 'Telling Lies About Hitler' by Richard Evans.

Read it. Fascinating piece of writing, and a very interesting look at the entire phenomon of holocaust denial.

Favourite Authors:

David Eddings: Have all the fantasy ones. Redemption of Althalus should have been expanded into a full series, Belgariad and Mallorean are classics, Belgarath the Sorcerer is gold and I'd worship Aphrael is the boss wouldn't kick my butt for it.

Raymond E. Feist: Good until Rage of a Demon King, then starts falling apart. Looking forward to reading Talon of the Silver Hawk. Empire Trilogy is also brilliant.

Mercedes 'Misty' Lackey: Heralds of Valdemar and associated books are a must read and the rest of her stuff is pretty good to.

David M. Weber: THE god of Space Opera. Is Honor Harrington series is pure genius and must be read.

Robert Jordan: Loved the Wheel of Time, except book 6. Was too long and didn't move the story anywhere. Heard a rumor that Daw Books actually have several books beyond the current release and are deliberately dragging them out.

Anne McCaffrey: Dragonriders up to and including All the Weyrs of Pern, though I actually liked Masterharper of Pern. Pegasus trilogy, esp Pegasus in Flight, 1st 4 books of the Tower series, esp The Rowan, Doona trilogy, the Brainship series except The City who Fought, and Acorna, first book only.

Melanie Rawn: Ruins of Ambrai, though we're still waiting for the third book.

Michael A. Stackpole: His Battletech books and Eyes of Silver more than his Star Wars stuff.

Tanya Huff: Better Part of Valour, Valour's Choice, Summon the Keeper (in which Hell is the best character) and two other's that I can't recall of the top of my head.

Jodie Bertram: Dragonlord series. 2 books to date, the Last Dragonlord and Dragon and the Phoenix, third pending.

Tamora Pierce: Song of the Lioness, Protector of the Small, Circle of Magic and the Circle Opens. The Wild Magic quartet wasn't that great.

J.K. Rowling: Harry Potter is strangely addictive and I will be getting Order of the Phoenix when it is released in the middle of the year.

Just one other thing I have to note here. I can't stand Tolkien and Peter Jackson is a genius for being able to take such pompous, stuffy, excessively verbose, laborious prose and turning it into such brilliant movies. I have read the Hobbit and the Lord of the Rings and it was not fun.

------------------
It is a place that dwells in the memories of those who still dream of its ancient glory. A world revered for its beauty, mystery and danger. On a planet of endless adventure, such a land is known as El-Hazard. If your spirit has wings to travel, even across the breadth of a thosand, million nights, imagination will guide the way, and the gates of El-Hazard will always be open to you.

Page 5 of 51

Jump to: