Usergroups  ·  Register ·    Profile  ·  Log in to check your private messages  ·   Log in     

The Thread On UK TV Comedies

Goto page 1, 2  Next
The Thread On UK TV Comedies
Author
Misa Amane

PostPosted: Thu Nov 10, 2005 10:10 pm    Post subject: The Thread On UK TV Comedies Reply with quote
OK, you wanted it, you got it!

Due to popular demand, this thread has changed to the topic of "Great UK TV Comedies".
Scroll down about five or so posts and that's roughly where it turned into this topic. Read. Enjoy. Contribute. I don't need to tell you what to do, coz you're allready doing it. So just keep it clean, and remember, just coz you didn't find it funny, half a dozen other people did! (In case you're wondering what I'm talking about, I absolutely hate "Little Brittain" but it's so popular that it can not be stopped)

I bought six DVD's of a UK TV show a few weeks ago. I might stop laughing eventually. What show could possibly be that funny? The complete collections of "Goodies" and "Monty Python's Flying Circus" aren't out yet, so that can only mean one show.....and anyone who answered "Doctor Who" is wrong!

This is an S.O.S. distress call from the mining ship Red Dwarf Three million years from Earth, it's crew are dead, killed by a radiation leak. The only survivours are David Lister, the last human being alive, and a creature that evolved from the ship's cat. Also aboard is Arnold Rimmer, a hologramatic simulation of Lister's bunkmate, and Kryten, a series 3000 sanitation droid. Message ends.

Additional: This is my attempt at making an "Official" thread on "Red Dwarf". So what goodies (no pun intended) can we come up with? I've given it some thought (about thirty second's worth) and could only think of one thing: Funny Quotes.

Come on, everyone! Help me make this a great thread!
Post all your funny pictures from the show (or send-up pictures/comics), links to good fansites, and, of course, quotes here. Of course, an "Offical Red Dwarf" thread would be incomplete without a link to the Officail Red Dwarf Website and a link to the BBC Red Dwarf Site wouldn't it! Just to be a complete geek, I'm including pictures with every quote. You can download them by clicking on the names of the characters: Lister, Rimmer, The Cat, Kryten and Holly (male). (images originally appeared here)

Finally, a quote from the flared-nostriled one himself:

Rimmer wrote:
(to Holly) You are a total... total..... A word is yet to be invented to describe how totally... whatever-it-is-you-are, but you are one, and a total, total one at that!

Last edited by ^Kat^cassidy^ on Sun Nov 13, 2005 12:51 pm; edited 1 time in total
Ziusudra
Shinobu Nagumo

PostPosted: Thu Nov 10, 2005 10:18 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote
I'm a Red Dwarf fan too! I want them to release a full collection of ALL the seasons on DVD, which is why I haven't bought it yet. My favourite character would have to be Rimmer with his sarcastic sense of humour.
Happy_Aardvark
Mayuko Chigasaki

PostPosted: Thu Nov 10, 2005 10:33 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote
red dwarf lost it gloss for me after the rape case brought againest one of the major actors (I leave it up to you to look up). And while the charges were acquitted I still can't help but to think that he had the money to hire the best QCs verses her.
A belief in the majoritarian parliamentary votes, sustained by nothing more than triennial visits of citizens to the ballot box, with uncontrolled power thereafter, is an infantile conception of a modern democracy. Michael Kirby
^Kat^cassidy^
Misa Amane

PostPosted: Thu Nov 10, 2005 10:35 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote
Ziusudra wrote:
I want them to release a full collection of ALL the seasons on DVD, which is why I haven't bought it yet.

According to the BBC site, series seven (of eight) will be out in the UK soon, so it won't be too much longer before we get the whole lot Very Happy
Sailor Apollo
Koishi Herikawa

PostPosted: Thu Nov 10, 2005 11:00 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote
It's cold outside, no kind of atmosphere
I'm all alone, more or less
Let me fly far away from here
Fun fun fun in the sun sun sun

I want to lie shipwrecked and comatose
Drinking fresh mango juice
Goldfish shoals swimming up my toes

I pack my bags and head into hyperspace
Velocity at time warp speed
Spend my days in ultraviolet rays

We'll lock on course straight through the universe
You and me and the galaxy
Reach the stage where hyperdrive's engaged
Fun, fun, fun in the sun, sun, sun
Fun, fun, fun in the sun, sun, sun

....I am a vampire and here's a million dollars.

Mystery Forum Theater 30001
archangel
Kuu

PostPosted: Thu Nov 10, 2005 11:12 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote
"this is the distress call of the jupiter mining core vehilce star bug, we are low on supplies and need assistance... out!"... ... "oh by the way we're in space... we just passed a sort of reddy moon about two weeks ago... co-ordants inclosed... it's about that shape, you can't miss it" >dave lister<

yay for red dwarf, this show is awsome in a way only shows from the UK can be... i duno what it is about the brits but they have such an awsome sence of humour...

as for series 7, i hear it's gonna be a 3 disc set, with extended episodes and a ton of extras and stuff... makes me wish i kept the extra's disc's of series 1-6... oh well...

some more awsome quotes for you...

"i bring joy to the world cos i have such a beautiful ass" >the cat<

"you are a total, total... a word is yet to be invented to describe how totally what ever it is you are, but you are one... and a total total one at that..." >arnold j rimmer<

"hook, line, sinker and copy of angling times sir" >kryten<

"kryten can this story possibly wait till another time... preferably till after i'm dead" >dave lister<

"and you cat, you look sharper than a page of oscar wild's wittisism which had been rolled up into a point, sprinkled with lemon juice and jabbed into some ones eye" >ace rimmer<
dl
Koishi Herikawa

PostPosted: Fri Nov 11, 2005 12:43 am    Post subject: Reply with quote
I love Red Dwarf, looking forward to season seven on dvd. If abc are going to repeat anything it should be red dwarf.

"Rimmer, he's me best mate isn't he?" - Lister
"Sir, you are sick" - Kryten

"Flobba dob blib blob bleeb." - Rimmer

"Don't give me that Star Trek crap, it's too early in the morning." - Lister

"You're a complete and total smeg head arent you rimmer?" - Holly

"I can't believe I'm being chased by a psychopathic carried man!" - Rimmer

"Smeg, I forgot to ask him where I could get a vindaloo" (something like that anyway) - Lister

"Talk about a weight off your mind!" - Lister

"No, I'd describe the accused as a git" - Lister

"This is worse than triple strength cat nip" - Cat

"Twice in one life time? When your hot, your hot." - Cat

"You jammy gout" - Rimmer

"I lost your watch too" - Rimmer

"I'm more worried about the state of the floor." - Holly

"Smoke me a kipper, I'll be back for breakfast" - Ace Rimmer

"The thought occurs that we haven't actually reached earth. The even further thought occurs that we haven't budged a smegging inch." - Rimmer

"As soon as I find the right small group of girls, the seven or eight women who are right for me, my wandering days are OVER buddy!" - Cat

"The time for talking is over. Now call it extreme if you like, but I propose we hit it hard, and we hit it fast, with a major, and I mean major, leaflet campaign." - Rimmer

"No! I'd sacrifice your life for the good of the crew." - Cat

"Sir, are you absolutely sure? It does mean changing the bulb." Kryten

"And you can't confuse Rimmer with a book. For a start, a book's got a spine." - Lister

"No, Lister. What seperates us from animals is that we don't use our tongues to clean our own genitals." - Rimmer

"That means nothing to these people, they'll find you" - Rimmer

"Is he? Well, I want my pea back. It's my pea. I earned that pea" - Rimmer

'Human heaven? Goodness me, humans don't go to Heaven! No, someone made that up to prevent you all from going nuts!" - Kryten

"I don't think he meant to do that, it probably just plopped out." - Rimmer

Fav scenes: Shrinking boxers, the polymorph, the ace rimmer grave planet, pretty much every episode of season 6.
HeDanny
Grumpy Old Man

PostPosted: Fri Nov 11, 2005 1:02 am    Post subject: Reply with quote
Ya know.. as much as I appreciated this show for what it was.. 11 years of the same joke just kinda got.. dull. I totally LMAO when the show was first run all those years ago, but by the time it was just space bug.. then the red dwarf.. "came back" etc etc.. I dunno. It just was not FUNNY anymore.

Men Behaving Badly
As Time Goes By
Butterflies
Keeping up Appearances
Vicar of Dibley
My Family
MANCHILD

All much better, FUNNIER shows than Red Dwarf from around series 3 onwards. Then again I never liked "The Goodies" either.. I thought it was stupid, in fact.

Monty Python never had an episode that didnt have at least ONE joke that had me lolin along with it. It was sketch based tho, so I don't really group it in with the other shows. I once did a performance of the Dead Parrot for english class when I was back in High School.

Two other 30min comedies from the old dart that COULD have been so much better were BlackAdder and Black Books. Both were good shows, but far from the comedy gold level of the shows listed.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website Yahoo Messenger
Sailor Apollo
Koishi Herikawa

PostPosted: Fri Nov 11, 2005 1:41 am    Post subject: Reply with quote
HeDanny wrote:
space bug

Starbug.

And has anyone here seen RD USA?

Classic quote:

American Cat wrote:
I know why you're here. You want my string! This string is mine! This box is mine! This AIR is mine!

Also:

American Lister: What have you been doing here?
Kryten: I've been looking at that "Fire Emergency" sign. It's given me a lot of solace over the years.
(Krytie and Lister on what it's like waiting three million years for a repair job)

And for the incomprehensible quote award:

American Rimmer on death: "It's like being at an Amish bachelor party."

Mr Waffle
TEH WAFFLES!!11!

PostPosted: Fri Nov 11, 2005 8:59 am    Post subject: Reply with quote
Sailor Apollo wrote:
And has anyone here seen RD USA?

Unfortunately, no. I feel it's my duty as both a Red Dwarf and crappy tv/movies to see it.
HimuraBattousai
Kagami Yagami

PostPosted: Fri Nov 11, 2005 9:54 am    Post subject: Reply with quote
I'd personally put in effort to avoid the US Red Dwarf, given what I've heard of it. Fortunately, I'd likely have to put in some serious effort to find it, so I don't think I have much to worry about. And I am thankful that it never took off.
Kloppy
Nene Romanova

PostPosted: Fri Nov 11, 2005 11:44 am    Post subject: Reply with quote
Happy_Aardvark wrote:
red dwarf lost it gloss for me after the rape case brought againest one of the major actors (I leave it up to you to look up). And while the charges were acquitted I still can't help but to think that he had the money to hire the best QCs verses her.

Let me preface this by saying that I know there are a lot of cases where rapes go unreported or are difficult to prove. I also belive it's one of the most heinous of crimes.

However I struggle with the commonly held belief that if you can afford top lawyers who help you get aquitted or you settle out of court that you are 'probably' guilty.

Back on topic... Red Dwarf was a neat show really, really good - although latter seasons were fairly derivitive.
Bardan
Eikichi Onizuka

PostPosted: Fri Nov 11, 2005 2:08 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote
HimuraBattousai wrote:
I'd personally put in effort to avoid the US Red Dwarf, given what I've heard of it. Fortunately, I'd likely have to put in some serious effort to find it, so I don't think I have much to worry about. And I am thankful that it never took off.

Actually it's not as incredibly hideous as it sounds. Certainly not watchable, but I was prepared for far worse.
DocForry
Motoko Kusanagi

PostPosted: Fri Nov 11, 2005 5:20 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote
Having read the script for the American version, I believe that it bites the big one.

Anyway, we are waiting for the movie to finally come out.

Please be keeping arms and legs in posting box and be watching out for falling yaoi fangirls.
Smeg
Shana

PostPosted: Fri Nov 11, 2005 7:23 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote
Shocked Wow I didn't know there were some many of you ppl out there in Madman land that loved Reddwarf like I do.

I already have the first 6 volume's of Reddwarf on DVD and waiting for volume 7 to come out. Then after such a huge long wait the movie is going to be released after all the dvd's. Then if the movie is a huge succses, like it will be, there is talk of series 9 to finish of instead of the stuipid ending that it had.

The Smeg it is. >_<

"Don't give me any of that 'Star Trek' crap. It's too early in the morning." - Dave Lister
Ziusudra
Shinobu Nagumo

PostPosted: Fri Nov 11, 2005 7:39 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote
BlackAdder
Keeping up Appearances
As Time Goes By
My Family

They're all also classic British comedies that I love. There's another one that stars the hologram from Red Dwarf - The Brittas Empire which is just really, really funny.
Weis
Meryl Strife

PostPosted: Fri Nov 11, 2005 10:01 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote
Ah yes, The Brittas Empire is very good. I have the first two seasons downstairs, and of course the first six Red Dwarf series.

Season 1-2 - good, 3-6 - gold. I thought that season 7 of Red Dwarf was the let down of the series as it lost the character the show literally could not run without - Rimmer. As for season 8, it was average compared to the rest, just seemed to have changed too much - didn't like the Chakansy (sp?) character at all.

Warning: Use with caution.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website ICQ Number
^Kat^cassidy^
Misa Amane

PostPosted: Fri Nov 11, 2005 10:21 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote
Ziusudra wrote:
BlackAdder
Keeping up Appearances
As Time Goes By
My Family

They're all also classic British comedies that I love. There's another one that stars the hologram from Red Dwarf - The Brittas Empire which is just really, really funny.

I couldn't stand BlackAdder.....but that was years ago, so I think I'll rent it out and watch it again, coz I am a fan of Rowin Atkinson and a huge fan of Tony Robinson (better known as Baldrick)

I agree wholeheartedly that the other three shows are brilliant (not to mention "Black Books" and my other personal faveourite "Coupling") and maybe there will be threads on them in the future - why not start one yourself if you wish? Smile Particularly for "My Family", although of hand, only one quote springs to mind:

Nick wrote:
Hey Dad?

Last edited by ^Kat^cassidy^ on Sat Nov 12, 2005 8:13 pm; edited 1 time in total
HeDanny
Grumpy Old Man

PostPosted: Sat Nov 12, 2005 12:18 am    Post subject: Reply with quote
I mentioned all those shows in my previous post.
*pinches self on arm*
yep. I am definately here.. Wink
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website Yahoo Messenger
mrgazpacho
Koyomi Mizuhara

PostPosted: Sat Nov 12, 2005 1:12 am    Post subject: Reply with quote
Smeg wrote:
Shocked Wow I didn't know there were some many of you ppl out there in Madman land that loved Reddwarf like I do.

"Wrong, wrong, totally wrong. Absolutely brimming over with wrongability." Wink
DocForry
Motoko Kusanagi

PostPosted: Sat Nov 12, 2005 2:11 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote
"Stoke me a clipper, I'll be back for Christmas." - Ace Rimmer

Please be keeping arms and legs in posting box and be watching out for falling yaoi fangirls.
^Kat^cassidy^
Misa Amane

PostPosted: Sat Nov 12, 2005 2:20 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote
HeDanny wrote:
I mentioned all those shows in my previous post.

Don't worry, I'm not intentionally neglecting anyone. By the time I got back here there were more posts saying the same thing. I just quoted the posting closest in line to my reply.....

Just letting you know you're still loved around here!
HeDanny
Grumpy Old Man

PostPosted: Sat Nov 12, 2005 7:53 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote
Well. THat was a bit.. awkward.. Embarassed
is dancing on the inside but acting totally cool on the outside
Great chioce of .. what are we calling those things? Tone Avatars?

Anyone remember THE THIN BLUE LINE?
Mind your Language?

Two other shows Ididnt really like all that much but seemed classically popular are
Mr Bean
Fawlty Towers

Altho I did love
The Good Life
To The Mannor Born
The Norman Conquests
Yes Minister
Filler Bunny
Lin Minmay

PostPosted: Sat Nov 12, 2005 8:08 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote
Dwarf pwns all but the first 4 seasons are the best, cause there's more stupid but some how good philosophical undercurrent in some episodes

*side note there are spiders biteing me*
^Kat^cassidy^
Misa Amane

PostPosted: Sat Nov 12, 2005 8:12 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote
HeDanny wrote:
Well. THat was a bit.. awkward.. Embarassed
is dancing on the inside but acting totally cool on the outside

Kat replies
Yesss! Just the response I was looking for!

HeDanny wrote:
Mind your Language?

Kat replies:
I remember this program, but only coz I saw it on UKTV back in 2001. Did you know the teacher had previously played the lead student doctor in the "Doctor IN The House" series of 1969 (he was also the lead in the 1970 and 1971 series)......

Hey, HeDanny...
OK, you're tempting me to start a thread on great UK comedies, are ya? Or how about you start one yourself? I will be happy to contribute, for sure! Between you and me we could flood the servers!
HimuraBattousai
Kagami Yagami

PostPosted: Sat Nov 12, 2005 8:52 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote
HeDanny wrote:
Two other shows Ididnt really like all that much but seemed classically popular are
Mr Bean
Fawlty Towers

Fawlty Towers was brilliant stuff.

HeDanny wrote:
Altho I did love
Yes Minister

Agreed, Yes Minister was fantastic. And I find it interesting how often Yes Minister quotes featured at certain committee meetings I've attended...
Benza
Banned

PostPosted: Sat Nov 12, 2005 9:27 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote
HimuraBattousai wrote:
HeDanny wrote:
Mr Bean
Fawlty Towers

Man whenever someone mentions Faulty Towers I immediatly think of the eppisode with the germans Very Happy
LeoFlare
Koishi Herikawa

PostPosted: Sat Nov 12, 2005 10:02 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote
Wolfgangh wrote:
HimuraBattousai wrote:
HeDanny wrote:
Mr Bean
Fawlty Towers

Man whenever someone mentions Faulty Towers I immediatly think of the eppisode with the germans Very Happy

German: Will you stop talking about the war!
Basil: Me? You started it!
German: We did not start it.
Basil: Yes you did, you invaded Poland...
yommy
Shinobu Nagumo

PostPosted: Sat Nov 12, 2005 10:33 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote
i dont know why i didnt read this thread earler, i love red dwalf. the ship its self is pure sex.

i didnt like it when they where confined to the brig though, that was boring.
DocForry
Motoko Kusanagi

PostPosted: Sat Nov 12, 2005 10:34 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote
Yes, more RD quotes dredged from the depths of my mind.

Kryten: Aah, Smug mode.

Kryten: SMEE HRRR!
Rimmer: Smeg head... he remembers me!

Lister: CHANGE OF PLANS LEG IT!

Rimmer: Step up to Red Alert.
Kryten: Sir, are you absolutely sure? It does mean changing the bulb.

XR8Rebel2001
Shinobu Nagumo

PostPosted: Sat Nov 12, 2005 10:37 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote
Lister: They're just using religion as an excuse to be really crappy to each other.
Toaster: So what else is new?
Mr. Green

Best. Ringtone. Ever.
http://lozphone.ytmnd.com/
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website MSN Messenger ICQ Number
LeoFlare
Koishi Herikawa

PostPosted: Sat Nov 12, 2005 11:25 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote
Red Dwarf is one of the best british shows cant wait till the movie comes out and then series 9.

QUOTES:

He taught me everything. Without him, I'd be normal. – Kryten

Like German tourists, the stupid are everywhere. – Rimmer

People with breeding do not play 'Popeye the Sailor Man' on a kazoo inserted between their buttocks. – Rimmer

We're giving you a new start on life and the chance to screw it up in new and imaginative ways! -- Holly
Time is a great healer. Unless, it's a rash, then you're better off with ointment. – Holly

I think we're all beginning to loose sight of the real issue here, which is what are we going to call ourselves? I think it comes down to a choice between The League Against Salivating Monsters, or, my own personal preferance, which is The Committee for the Liberation and Intergration of Terrifying Organisms and their Rehabilitation Into Society. One drawback with that. The abbreviation is CLITORIS. -- Rimmer

"This is crazy! Why are we talking about going to bed with Wilma Flintstone? ....She'll never leave Fred and we know it." -- Lister

Rimmer: "I mean what period in history it is, dingleberry breath. What's the year?"
Holly: "Well, I'd need some more data before I could give you a precise answer..."
Rimmer: "Like?"
Holly: "Well, this year's calendar would be handy!"

You really think you can buy me with promises of power and glory. You really think... Okay, I'll do it. – Rimmer

Holly: "What do ya want, the long or short version?"
Lister: "Long."
Holly: "You're finished."
Cat: "What's the short version?"
Holly: "Bye."

"You can't frighten me, I'm a coward. I'm scared all the time." – Rimmer
Sailor Apollo
Koishi Herikawa

PostPosted: Sun Nov 13, 2005 12:15 am    Post subject: Reply with quote
HimuraBattousai wrote:

I found it on that downloady thing that should probably not be named and isn't BitTorrent. Of course, it's not worth the effort. But I've seen far worse--The Star Wars Holiday Special comes to mind (nothing can beat the sheer weirdness of virtual wookiee sex).

Greoboruri
Nene Romanova

PostPosted: Sun Nov 13, 2005 12:14 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote
HeDanny wrote:
Anyone remember THE THIN BLUE LINE?

This is such an under appreciated show. Ben Elton used to write some great stuff, pitty about the stuff he writes now. Rowan Atkinson was great in this show too.

The other great UK (well it's Irish, not British really) comedy that I don't think has been mentioned is Father Ted. It's such a great show.

Mrs Doyle: What would you say to a cup of tea father?
Father Jack Hackett: FECK OFF, CUP!
Benza
Banned

PostPosted: Sun Nov 13, 2005 12:17 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote
I can't belive The Young Ones hasn't been mentioned yet, that show was golden!

Vivian: Well mum, this is my freind Mike, this is my freind Neil, and this is a complete dick head I know called Rik
Rik: Oh hes just kidding Mrs Vivian were actully tremendous freinds
Vivians Mum: I see what you mean, he is a dick head.
^Kat^cassidy^
Misa Amane

PostPosted: Sun Nov 13, 2005 12:40 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

OK, if you can't stick to the topic then I'll change the topic to suit the conversation.

<*shuffles off to edit the first post*>
evaunit01
Mayuko Chigasaki

PostPosted: Sun Nov 13, 2005 12:59 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote
Wolfgangh wrote:

Vivian: Well mum, this is my freind Mike, this is my freind Neil, and this is a complete dick head I know called Rik

young ones is win beyond win, I remember when i was 12 and my unlce had a video of it, it changed my life!

but the line was BASTARD, not dick head, that show made bastard an even better word.

Racist and Homophobe extraordinaire!
Ziusudra
Shinobu Nagumo

PostPosted: Sun Nov 13, 2005 2:13 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote
I completely forgot about the Young Ones. I have that on DVD and Rik Mayall and Adrian Edmondson from it are in Bottom.

Mmm lentils!!
Mad Anime Fan
Banned

PostPosted: Sun Nov 13, 2005 10:06 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote
Hm two shows come to mind for me when I think of BBC comedy.
Fawlty Towers I just liked the episodes some of them were good, some were bad, best one was the one with the Germans and all that.

"Fire, fire!" Mannuel.
"No is not fire, is only bell!" Basil.
"Is fire, is fire!" Mannuel.
*Basil pushes Mannuel back in to the kitchen that is on fire still*

That is one scene that comes to mind.

The other show I remembered was Maid Marrian and her merry men.
It had Tony Robinson in it as the sherif of Notingham, a funny version of King John and two stupid guards.
Robin was also a dimwit in his own right.
My memories on it are so distant though now.
^Kat^cassidy^
Misa Amane

PostPosted: Sun Nov 13, 2005 11:12 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote
Mad Anime Fan wrote:
...Maid Marrian and her merry men.
It had Tony Robinson in it as the sherif of Notingham, a funny version of King John and two stupid guards.
Robin was also a dimwit in his own right.
My memories on it are so distant though now.

Kat replies:

Another faveourite of mine! But I have over 200 TV shows I like in total, so no surprise there. But, MAF, I can help you jog your memory perhaps...

Here's a quick link for "Maid Marian And Her Merry Men", which was actually a kid's show in the UK, but played at 6pm on the ABC here, and pops up occasionally on the Disney Channel (without commercials!) in the dead of the night. Little known fact, though, is that two of the "Good Guys" are famous from other shows. For example, Barrington is played by none other than Danny John Jules

Also, Rabies (what a name) is Howard Lew Lewis from "Brush Strokes" (couldn't find any pictures of him in that show. Daniel is on the left, Tony Robinson as the Sherrif of Nottingham on the right)
Mad Anime Fan
Banned

PostPosted: Sun Nov 13, 2005 11:14 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote
Ah yes that definetely brings back memories thanks Kat.
Has the ABC shop released them in a DVD set by per chance or not yet?
^Kat^cassidy^
Misa Amane

PostPosted: Sun Nov 13, 2005 11:18 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote
So far as I know it hasn't even been released in the UK, but if I'm wrong I'll pop back and edit this post. That link was to the BBC so it should mention DVD releases if you fancy doing an import.

Kat goes back to waiting for ABC to release "Hancock's Half Hour" Volume 2 which came out in the UK a few months ago.....waiting.....waiting.....
Mad Anime Fan
Banned

PostPosted: Sun Nov 13, 2005 11:20 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote
Well best thing to do is wait and hope.
^Kat^cassidy^
Misa Amane

PostPosted: Sun Nov 13, 2005 11:36 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote
OK I'm dead tired (having been online for 28 hours and awkae for at least 26 of them!) but I'm bored so I'm just gonna fire off a few (ok, it ended up being a lot!) shows I like that are "Britcoms" and you can discuss them or put up pictures or links.....if not, I'll do so later, but this should spark off a good round of discussion.

- The Goodies
- Man About The House
- George And Mildred (spinoff 1)
- Robin's Nest (spinof 2)
- Rising Damp
- Coupling
- Doctor In The House (series 1 & 2)
- Doctor At Large (series 3)
- Doctor In Charge (series 4 & 5)
- Doctor At Sea (series 6)
- Doctor On The Go (series 7 & Cool
- Last Of The Summer Wine (started in 1974 and still going!)
- My Hero
- Metal Mickey (anyone remember that?)
- Steptoe And Son
- Bless This House
- Father Dear Father
- Bread
- The Two Ronnies
- The Benny Hill Show (gasp! a girl who likes Benny Hill?)
- Are You Being Served?
- 'Allo 'Allo
- Dad's Army
- To The Manor Born
- Birds Of A Feather

Now you lot, get cracking!

I'd like to thank UKTV for playing a lot of old comedies!
I'd like to apologise if I've mentioned any shows allready listed above as well!
Raven Xavier
Usagi Tsukino

PostPosted: Mon Nov 14, 2005 5:05 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote
evaunit01 wrote:
Wolfgangh wrote:

young ones is win beyond win, I remember when i was 12 and my unlce had a video of it, it changed my life!

but the line was BASTARD, not dick head, that show made bastard an even better word.

Damn straight. the two series's DVD were just released recently.
My favourite episode was of course the last one

"I didn't get it at tesco's ok?"

comedy gold.
evaunit01
Mayuko Chigasaki

PostPosted: Mon Nov 14, 2005 5:07 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote
Raven Xavier wrote:
evaunit01 wrote:
Wolfgangh wrote:

comedy gold.

recently? they've been out for a few years!

Yes, the last episode (summer holiday) is gold, but my all time favourite is Bambi, brilliant.

Racist and Homophobe extraordinaire!
Raven Xavier
Usagi Tsukino

PostPosted: Mon Nov 14, 2005 5:21 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote
evaunit01 wrote:
Raven Xavier wrote:
evaunit01 wrote:
Wolfgangh wrote:

comedy gold.

recently? they've been out for a few years!

Yes, the last episode (summer holiday) is gold, but my all time favourite is Bambi, brilliant.

aaaah yes.

Vivian: so you gonna let us win

Bambi: of course not the posh kids allways win.

I just saw the DVD's advertised recently.
Greoboruri
Nene Romanova

PostPosted: Mon Nov 14, 2005 5:47 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote
^Kat^cassidy^ wrote:
- Metal Mickey (anyone remember that?)

Goddamn that was an awful show Laughing Hated that stupid robot. Prefered the Kenny Everett Video Show which IIRC came on after MM (RIP Kenny...).

I didn't go much on "My Hero" either. It just seemed to be the same character (and actor) from "Father Ted", Father Dougal as a super hero. It didn't hold a candle to "Father Ted".

I really did like "The Comic Strip Presents". It was a bunch of self contained 30 minute TV films (not quite a sitcom, but not really sketch comedy). The main players included Adrian Edmondson, Rik Mayall, Nigel Planer, Dawn French, Jennifer Saunders as well as the highly underrated Peter Richardson, who was to play Mike in the Young Ones, but apparently the producers didn't think much of him.

One of the best shows they did was "Bad News" which was about a crap metal band on tour (made a year or so before Spinal Tap BTW). The one of the best scenes in the film has Edmondson arguing with a pub owner about not being paid for their gig when only two guys and a dog showed up, and he says "You didn't let the dog in for free did you?". "Five Go Mad in Dorset" which was a pisstake of Enid Blyton's Famous Five was great too. I remember their dog was poisoned by an old man every 5 minutes or so in the show.

They also released a feature film in 1985 called "The Supergrass", but it was pretty crap. The ABC played a few of the episodes of the TV series, but not the entire seasons for whatever reason. SBS did play some of the latter series, which weren't as good as their earlier stuff.
^Kat^cassidy^
Misa Amane

PostPosted: Mon Nov 14, 2005 6:26 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote
Greoboruri wrote:
I really did like "The Comic Strip Presents"....One of the best shows they did was "Bad News".....

Oh, I'm just dying to see Comic Strip! I've only seen pictures from the covers of the videos, but knowing the cast and judging from some of the titles it looks brilliant! I do, however, have a good MP3 copy of the Bad News album of 1987, although unfortunately the CD got pinched. Better to have the MP3's than nothing tho.....

I told you there aren't any ****ing cows in Mongolia!
Greoboruri
Nene Romanova

PostPosted: Tue Nov 15, 2005 6:50 am    Post subject: Reply with quote
^Kat^cassidy^ wrote:
Oh, I'm just dying to see Comic Strip!

I didn't realise that a DVD box set had been released in the UK.

The other one I liked from the series was "Didn't You Kill My Brother" with Alexi Sayle. God he's such an under rated comedian. I think he released a song too with that title.

Page 1 of 2

Jump to: