Usergroups  ·  Register ·    Profile  ·  Log in to check your private messages  ·   Log in     

GitS v7. Subtitle delays, interlacing[?]

GitS v7. Subtitle delays, interlacing[?]
Author
Siegfried Kircheis

PostPosted: Fri Nov 18, 2005 6:44 pm    Post subject: GitS v7. Subtitle delays, interlacing[?] Reply with quote
As well as a number of quibbly problems ["eps 21-23" instead of 24-26, and the reverse side cover has v6 instead of v7], there's some that might be more significant.

First: subtitle lag; about 100-200 ms, I'd say; variable delay, but pretty constantly there. As well, a couple of subtitles get cut off a bit shorter than you'd like, but it's probably an aspect of the same problem.

The bigger problem is that it juddered like buggery in what seemed like every pan, almost as if someone got the field order wrong or something. It's supposed to be a 4% speedup job from HD, there just should't be any; NTSC->PAL conversion on your DVD player looks better.

This is on my gimpy-nintaus; I'll check it on my other DVD player [an equally-gimpy-but-somewhat-younger-medion] when I get a chance. Obviously, these aren't the highest-end machines, but these aren't the subtlest of problems.
TheGreatNinjaFanBoy
Nene Romanova

PostPosted: Sat Nov 19, 2005 1:25 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote
Here I was thinking I was seeing something that wasn't there.

Quote:
As well as a number of quibbly problems ["eps 21-23" instead of 24-26, and the reverse side cover has v6 instead of v7], there's some that might be more significant.

I noticed that too.

Quote:
The bigger problem is that it juddered like buggery in what seemed like every pan, almost as if someone got the field order wrong or something. It's supposed to be a 4% speedup job from HD, there just should't be any; NTSC->PAL conversion on your DVD player looks better.

Yeah, I noticed this too. It also occurs on v6. I tolerate it but it certainly detracted from a lot of the action. Especially the beautifully vibrant pans and some, if not all, tracking shots. Even mouth flaps seem to have a blur to them.

Tested on:
-LG DVD V782W
-LITE-ON DVDRW SOHW-832S
-SONY PS2 Slimline
Creedy
Mylene Jenius

PostPosted: Sun Nov 20, 2005 12:35 am    Post subject: Reply with quote
I was going to make a post about this but just thought I was crazy.
I also noticed the extra juddiness of Volume 7. Animations and pans weren't smooth like I was used to.

I used my PS2 to watch this DVD. I always use my PS2 as our cheap DVD player seems to decide not to display subtitles every few minutes.
Akira112
Nene Romanova

PostPosted: Mon Nov 21, 2005 3:52 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote
Mines perfect Very Happy

My Forum Family
Sisters-kbz333, mi, cobizah
Cousins-Gir, Hagane, Whitegreek, Rena
Pet Cat-Tallis
Friends-Every Madboarder!
starttimartti
Doraemon

PostPosted: Sat Dec 10, 2005 10:14 am    Post subject: Reply with quote
On my discs there are serious ghosting visible at least on the last four episodes (i can't be 100% sure on episodes before that, because it's been about a week since i've watched them... i'll edit this message if it is the case on them).

It seriously distracted me from enjoying the 4 last episodes of this season.

What's the official opinion from Madman about a chance of fixing this problem and replacing the (last two) disc(s)?

I mean I bought the 3 four R1 discs, sold them and then bought the R4s so I'd get bug free gits:sac. And (a tleast to me) ghosting is way worse problem than interlacing and edge enhancement.

Evil or Very Mad
TheGreatNinjaFanBoy
Nene Romanova

PostPosted: Tue Dec 13, 2005 8:05 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote
starttimartti wrote:
On my discs there are serious ghosting visible at least on the last four episodes (i can't be 100% sure on episodes before that, because it's been about a week since i've watched them... i'll edit this message if it is the case on them).

What I saw was similar to ghosting. The animation seems slightly choppy or juddering and the moving image kind of catches up with itself. As a result - what normally was very clear and sharp video is now slighly blurry.

Like Nargun mention, this isn't what we should be seeing from HD Masters.
druid
Lin Minmay

PostPosted: Tue Dec 13, 2005 9:05 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote
I don't think I had these problems, so if they were there, they must've been subtle on my player.

Only problem I had was a defective disc.
'
I'm quite happy about this since I've had a few problems recently.
Baz
Doraemon

PostPosted: Fri Jun 16, 2006 7:05 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote
I'm sorry for Necro'ing this topic but as there was no official reply I thought I would post here as oppsed to make a new topic.

I recently bought the Box Set and I too noticed the above problem with the ghosting, chopping quality while they do panning shots etc. with DVDs 6 and 7 (one really noticible example is during the scrolling credits at the end of episode 26, they are barely readable.)

Is this an error or are the originals like this (I don't recall seeing this poor quality on any other media I've seen the episodes in)? If its an error, because its from a box set what can I do about it?

Last edited by Baz on Mon Jun 19, 2006 11:42 pm; edited 1 time in total
TheGreatNinjaFanBoy
Nene Romanova

PostPosted: Sat Jun 17, 2006 7:29 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote
I'm still unsatisfied about the answer I got. I received an email that suggested that the masters were the issue. Though, apparently there have been no or very few reports about this. But as far as I can tell Madman don't appear to have any kind of regime concerning feedback.
Slykura
Madman Staff

PostPosted: Fri Jun 23, 2006 4:45 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote
Fact of the matter is it's a masters issue that is out of our hands. If we ever get HD masters we will reissue the disc.

We can't exactly fix something if we don't have ther materials with which to fix it with don't you agree?

Until then this issue is put to rest.

Page 1 of 1

Jump to: