Usergroups  ·  Register ·    Profile  ·  Log in to check your private messages  ·   Log in     

Need help choosing a laptop

Need help choosing a laptop
Author
Kenshin Himura

PostPosted: Fri Mar 24, 2006 11:17 pm    Post subject: Need help choosing a laptop Reply with quote
Well I just started uni and my Acer Travelmate 8000 is killing my shoulders due to the weight. I was thinking about trying an Mac though dont know much about them (are they worth the extra bucks?). I'm looking for performance and light weight as the main issues. Money isnt really an issue just as long it matches the performance. So yeh suggestions would help.

Heres a link to the specs for the Acer, so im looking for something that has a higher performance.
http://reviews-zdnet.com.com/Acer_TravelMate_8000/4507-3121_16-30842953.html?tag=sub[/url]
beardedgeek
Shana

PostPosted: Fri Mar 24, 2006 11:39 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote
dell d410 (love my little d400) or the inpiron 700m
ibm/lenvo x series laptops

12.1"'s are so damn nice.

if you don't need much more than a office suite (eg no uni programs or games) then a ibook isn't so bad.
HimuraBattousai
Kagami Yagami

PostPosted: Fri Mar 24, 2006 11:59 pm    Post subject: Re: Need help choosing a laptop Reply with quote
supra wrote:
I was thinking about trying an Mac though dont know much about them (are they worth the extra bucks?). I'm looking for performance and light weight as the main issues.

I would personally recommend getting a Mac. Around this time last year, I got myself a 12" iBook for doing TAFE work on. It's most definitely light, I barely notice it in my backpack. Small enough to be very conveniently portable, too.

As for performance, it isn't the speediest of the speedy, but for any laptop, comparing to a desktop in terms of processing power will cost you. It's powerful enough to do what I need it to do, which is what matters. In any case, the new Macs with Intel processors are pretty speedy. Allegedly the MacBook Pro is the fastest laptop with a dual core processor capable of running Windows XP, though I personally would be caught dead running Windows on a Mac. But really, I think that performance is becoming largely irrelevant. Just about any computer you can buy new these days is powerful enough to perform most tasks the typical user needs to do without any hassles. Is there any particular reason you need performance, or is it just the usual "faster is always better" reasoning?

Anyway. I reckon a Mac laptop is worth the extra money compared to a PC laptop, but not really for performance reasons. I could go into a fair bit of detail for my reasons if you want, but for now I think I'll keep my Mac zealotism to a minimum. It's late, and I don't want to make this post too long.
Bardan
Eikichi Onizuka

PostPosted: Sat Mar 25, 2006 1:44 am    Post subject: Re: Need help choosing a laptop Reply with quote
HimuraBattousai wrote:
!

Yeah I would have to say a mac is your best option. Just don't get the 17"... the extra 2"s aren't worth the added bulkiness/battery consumption.
HimuraBattousai
Kagami Yagami

PostPosted: Sat Mar 25, 2006 7:46 am    Post subject: Reply with quote
Yeah. 17" is too large for a laptop, if you intend to carry it around much.
supra
Kenshin Himura

PostPosted: Sat Mar 25, 2006 8:06 am    Post subject: Reply with quote
Quote:
Is there any particular reason you need performance, or is it just the usual "faster is always better" reasoning?

I recently had to do some video editing for uni and noticed the Acer was lagging quite a bit so was hoping for something with better perfromance.

Quote:
I could go into a fair bit of detail for my reasons if you want, but for now I think I'll keep my Mac zealotism to a minimum.

Please do becasue I really dont know much about them (like would i be able to type a word document on the Mac and transfer it to the Uni PC for printing?)

I was considering a Powerbook G4 becasue it has a backlit keyboard but the Macbook Pro has better performance, what do you guys think?
HimuraBattousai
Kagami Yagami

PostPosted: Sat Mar 25, 2006 8:32 am    Post subject: Reply with quote
supra wrote:
HimuraBattousai wrote:
Is there any particular reason you need performance, or is it just the usual "faster is always better" reasoning?

I recently had to do some video editing for uni and noticed the Acer was lagging quite a bit so was hoping for something with better perfromance.

Laptops in general aren't fantastic for video editing; they all have slower hard drives than desktop machines. Still, Macs are widely regarded as being good for multimedia work, including video editing.

supra wrote:
HimuraBattousai wrote:
I could go into a fair bit of detail for my reasons if you want, but for now I think I'll keep my Mac zealotism to a minimum.

Please do becasue I really dont know much about them (like would i be able to type a word document on the Mac and transfer it to the Uni PC for printing?)

Okay, here goes. One of the reasons I decided to get an iBook was the operating system: Mac OS X is quite nice to use, I've found. Another related reason is that since the operating system and the computer are both made by the same company, everything Just Works(tm) together really well. I've also found the keyboard a lot more comfortable to use than any of the PC laptop keyboards I've dealt with in my time. The trackpad's nicer than most, too. There's also the placement of the ports and the DVD drive: everything's on the side of the unit. One of the things that came to annoy me about the PC laptops I've used is various ports being either at the back or front of the machine. Having something plugged in the front of a laptop is quite inconvenient when you've actually got it sitting on your lap, and plugging something into the back generally requires picking the laptop up and turning it around so you can see what you're doing. Much more convenient to have everything in the side. I've also noted better battery life in my iBook than most PC laptops I've seen.

supra wrote:
I was considering a Powerbook G4 becasue it has a backlit keyboard but the Macbook Pro has better performance, what do you guys think?

I'd go with the MacBook Pro. PowerPC Macs are on the way out, and software that supports them could start drying up at any time. Best to go with the Intel Macs, especially if performance is a concern for you. The backlit keyboard would be nice, but there's other ways of seeing the keyboard in the dark.
lordCONAN
Melfina

PostPosted: Sat Mar 25, 2006 9:38 am    Post subject: Reply with quote
Get a MacBook Pro and install windows xp on it.
"...Seeing that you speak Japanese, they will wag their heads and smile condescendingly, and admit to each other that you are really quite intelligent - much as we would do in the presence of a pig or an ape of somewhat unusual attainments."
(Basil Hall Chamberlain, 1904)
StorminNorman
Gillard-chan

PostPosted: Sat Mar 25, 2006 10:13 am    Post subject: Reply with quote
supra wrote:

Yes.

Quote:

MacBook Pro is where it's at.

LordCONAN wrote:
Get a MacBook Pro and install windows xp on it.

Be wary of this. While XP will likely boot and run, it won't be that stable. The Linux guys have noted that a number of changes need to be made to Linux x86 to get it to run on a Macbook. XP apparently just does it's usual "On error resume" method of maximising compatibility with any old x86 junk you try to run it on.

So yeah, if stability is an issue for you, wait for either an updated version of Windows XP (or Linux, if that's what floats your boat) or run Mac OS X on it now.

I'd go with the latter anyway as Windows XP is still not based on Unix. Razz
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website MSN Messenger
beardedgeek
Shana

PostPosted: Sat Mar 25, 2006 12:05 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote
supra wrote:

what program , just rember to make sure theres a mac version Very Happy.

and that laptops will almost always be sluggish when compared to desktops especially if your looking for a light weight one.

performance ,size , cost
choose two
if your looking for performance you'd be looking in the 15" ranges , asus have a nice one , dual core, up to 2gb ram , 60gb 7200 hdd , and relativle light(about 3-4kg.)

if your looking in light ranges then your looking at 5400rpm hdds and inbuilt gfx and single cores, for maximum battery life and weight.

personally i like my setup of cheap 12.1" laptop for most uni work and portability then a big bulky desktop for home and any grunty work i need.

just rember desktop replacement laptops aren't called that just for the power it's the weight too.
supra
Kenshin Himura

PostPosted: Sat Mar 25, 2006 1:16 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote
Quote:
asus have a nice one , dual core, up to 2gb ram , 60gb 7200 hdd , and relativle light(about 3-4kg.)

What model is this?

Is there any let downs for choosing a MAc instead of a PC laptop
Goku's_Inner_Sayian
Washu Hakubi

PostPosted: Sat Mar 25, 2006 1:28 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote
i own heaps of macs and im no computer wiz but the only let doen for me is proly the limit to the games i can use but seeing as though your not useing it for gameing i reckon that a mac is an awesome choice.
Mr Waffle
TEH WAFFLES!!11!

PostPosted: Sat Mar 25, 2006 2:08 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote
If you're thinking about a Mac, TRY ONE FIRST. Personally I couldn't stand using my friends' iBook until I plugged in a (2 button) mouse. I found the interface was incredibly frustrating when coming from Windows...
Meguel Sanchez
Misa Amane

PostPosted: Sat Mar 25, 2006 3:09 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote
if you dont wanna play games go for mac . . . . . . though there are a couple available.

you will need a two button mouse, it makes life alot easier though im just lazy and cant be bothered cntrl clicking.

with the mac book they are better thna the G5's just remember that programs such as Adobes CS2 suite doesnt currently support the intel chips and will run under emulation its useable but it will take a perfomance hit.

of course this wont be an issue for too long

MS office doesnt support the chips either but office is hardly an intensive program and runs fine via emulation.
yjs
Shinobu Nagumo

PostPosted: Sat Mar 25, 2006 4:36 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote
If you're doing something like science or engineering, or anything else that requires PC software in future years, do not get a Mac. I bought myself a laptop last year (Dell Latitude D610 business notebook, 1.86Ghz Centrino, 1GB RAM, 80GB HDD, Radeon X300, DVD-RW, 14 inch LCD) and although it was great, I just couldn't do much on it in terms of gaming and the screen was too small for CAD, spreadsheets etc. In addition, I only took it to uni about 2 times in total, and realised that I really didn't need a laptop.

My parents were looking for a computer recently so I gave them my laptop for $1000 credit (and the ability to have it back to use any time I want) and I went and built myself a nice cheap gaming desktop that is also great for AutoCAD and various other engineering software that I use.

So in the end, ask yourself if you really need a laptop. Buying a desktop saves you a lot of money and you can do a lot more with them. If you still think laptops are the way to go, I would suggest a business laptop like the Dell Latitudes (new core duo ones out soon), Lenovo/IBM T series, and the HP business ones. They don't have bling, are built much tougher than consumer notebooks, doesn't come with bloatware and are often pretty decently specced, especially in terms of dedicated graphics.

One word of advice, stay away from Sony and Toshiba.
HimuraBattousai
Kagami Yagami

PostPosted: Sat Mar 25, 2006 10:24 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote
supra wrote:
Is there any let downs for choosing a MAc instead of a PC laptop

The most significant one would be software availability. Most likely, for whatever you want to do, there will be software available for the Mac that will do it, but the Windows software that people suggest may not have a Mac version. It's an issue I've encountered in my course, but I manage. It just takes a little more effort to find suitable software.

Mr Waffle wrote:
If you're thinking about a Mac, TRY ONE FIRST. Personally I couldn't stand using my friends' iBook until I plugged in a (2 button) mouse. I found the interface was incredibly frustrating when coming from Windows...

Waffle offers good advice. Though personally I disagree with the need for a 2-button mouse, and I didn't find the interface frustrating at all when I first started using it. Took me a little while to get used to it, but no frustration.

Meguel Sanchez wrote:
if you dont wanna play games go for mac . . . . . . though there are a couple available.

World of Warcraft is available for the Mac. Nothing else is needed.
supra
Kenshin Himura

PostPosted: Sat Mar 25, 2006 10:49 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote
Yeh my course doesnt require any programs, I just use it for when I have large breaks between lectures. Im looking into the Macbook Pro but also waitng for what model of the Asus beardedgeek was talking about because I can get Asus stuff pretty cheap.

PS: The Macbook is a bit heavy...
Happy_Aardvark
Mayuko Chigasaki

PostPosted: Sun Mar 26, 2006 1:34 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote
I'd try to steer clear of the first run of ICBM to be honest, wait for the second revision unless you consider yourself an early adopter. Software for application will run under Rosetta which will be slower than a native G4 note book in most applications. Universal binaries are being release but major vendors are taking their time to ensure the product works correct.

I use a 12" 1.33 G4 ibook - does the trick for most things, altough be warned there is no access or project for mac. This may cause grief for some subjects.
A belief in the majoritarian parliamentary votes, sustained by nothing more than triennial visits of citizens to the ballot box, with uncontrolled power thereafter, is an infantile conception of a modern democracy. Michael Kirby
beardedgeek
Shana

PostPosted: Sun Mar 26, 2006 4:48 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote
supra wrote:
Yeh my course doesnt require any programs, I just use it for when I have large breaks between lectures. Im looking into the Macbook Pro but also waitng for what model of the Asus beardedgeek was talking about because I can get Asus stuff pretty cheap.

PS: The Macbook is a bit heavy...

http://au.asus.com/products4.aspx?l1=5&l2=26&l3=0&model=780&modelmenu=1

i belive it to be this one, don't expect to much change from 3k though.
Shinannth
Shiki Tohno

PostPosted: Sun Mar 26, 2006 9:30 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote
I'll add in another vote for the ASUS laptops. I've had mine for just over three years now (going to upgrade once the Core Duo versions of the notebook model I want are at a reasonable price). Very reliable and their warranty support is top notch. In comparison, have had not so good experiences with Toshiba and Compaq laptops in the past.
mrgazpacho
Koyomi Mizuhara

PostPosted: Mon Mar 27, 2006 9:46 am    Post subject: Reply with quote
1. ZOMG Shin lives! Mr. Green
2. Sly's also had an Asus for years and used to swear by it, not at it.
3. I just bought this one for my brother, as the value for money seems great for that lightweight package.
4. If you are lagging with your current spec, you'll probably have to do like Shin and get a Core Duo of some sort, for example this one.
Tony
浜崎 あゆみ

PostPosted: Mon Mar 27, 2006 11:25 am    Post subject: Reply with quote
My friend at uni has an asus (sp?) laptop. It's so small and light, perfect for uni related things. Although it's not the fastest laptop out there, once you get it started up its decent though. Just the booting takes quite some time.
TRC7
Shinobu Nagumo

PostPosted: Wed May 03, 2006 8:02 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote
yjs wrote:

One word of advice, stay away from Sony and Toshiba.

What are the issues with Toshiba. I too am looking to buy a laptop soon. Definately a Centrino Duo processor. I want all the bells and whistles.. but what's wrong with Toshiba?
TheHeadSage
Sylia Stingray

PostPosted: Wed May 03, 2006 8:49 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote
I'd also recommend a Mac. The backlit keyboard is a god send in lecture theaters... The fact that the screen automaticaly dims as well is another usefull feature.

I'm soon upgrading from my G4 Powerbook to a Macbook Pro as I need to dual-boot with windows. (Stupid dependance on C#) Virtual PC 7 just doesn't cut it anymore...

I also find Macs more durable, after lugging it around all last year and this year, so far there are no scratches on anything and everything works like a charm.. With my old Toshiba, it just fell apart after 6 months and the powercord blew up. My experience with IBM Laptops wasn't all that great either.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website MSN Messenger
beardedgeek
Shana

PostPosted: Wed May 03, 2006 9:04 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote
the tosiba's i've dealt with have all seamed clunky
. ibm's are rather nice, but not cheap, i was looking at getting one till i found me dell d400.
the new dell6400's are very tasy if your not after a roadwarrior kit
BGSarevok
Yoriko Nakaido

PostPosted: Wed May 03, 2006 9:16 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote
Dell's 6000s aren't bad either. I've had no problem with mine. Works well dual-booting to Linux, too.
beardedgeek
Shana

PostPosted: Wed May 03, 2006 9:23 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote
don't sell them no more
the 6400 replaced the 6100 which replaced the 6000
like the d600-d610-d620
Dizrythmia
Misa Amane

PostPosted: Wed May 03, 2006 9:46 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote
I bought my Dell Inspiron about 2 years ago but I had the added bonus of getting my money back. I salary sacrificed it through work which meant my $3200 was reduced to $1400. I called the tax office & they said the regardless of that I still need to put the whole $3200 through on my tax that year (as I do use it for work) which after depreciating it over 3 years got me the rest of the money back & then some Smile

I went with Dell because I like to have a little control over what I'm buying. I don't like buying a PC off the shelf, I like to know what's in it. Dell give a complete list of every component in the machine & you can adjust it on their website to suit your needs.

A lot of people bag Dell out, but I've never had a problem with it.
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website MSN Messenger ICQ Number
Tony
浜崎 あゆみ

PostPosted: Thu May 04, 2006 1:22 am    Post subject: Reply with quote
I just got myself an Acer laptop from Officeworks. Not really light (2.3kg, it's not that bad) but its pretty fast and all. Awesome for the money I paid for it.
black_ops
Banned

PostPosted: Thu May 04, 2006 9:23 am    Post subject: Reply with quote
are you looking at playing at playing games on it????

if your are i'd be looking the sub $3,000 - $4,500 line of lappies, i'm including any extra things you might require in that price range..

if you're not sub $900 - 1,500 should suit your purpose...

for home use a custom built rig would do wonders, a. you get what you want b. you don't get a system full of crap...
TRC7
Shinobu Nagumo

PostPosted: Thu May 04, 2006 11:39 am    Post subject: Reply with quote
black_ops wrote:
are you looking at playing at playing games on it????

I want a laptop as a desktop replacement, mainly for use around the house and occasionally for travelling interstate with. I'd prefer not to have a 17" screen due to size and bulk. I'd be doing invoices, emails, lots of internet stuff plus video and music.. not so much game playing.
Basically I want a fairly compact but very high performance PC laptop, which will last me a few good years. I don't mind spending say $2500 - $4000 or so. What's the best I can do for this price bracket?

Any suggestions? Smile
black_ops
Banned

PostPosted: Thu May 04, 2006 12:57 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote
1 of the latest lg's would wonders for you...
beardedgeek
Shana

PostPosted: Thu May 04, 2006 9:54 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote
have a look at the new dell inpiron6400's

core duo's wide screen 15.4" , fairly reasonably priced, go have a spec up on the dell site, we're getting a feew into work soon, the 6000/6100 they are replaceing have been a good machine,
TRC7
Shinobu Nagumo

PostPosted: Fri May 05, 2006 1:56 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote
I've only ever heard bad reports about Dell.. why is this?
black_ops
Banned

PostPosted: Fri May 05, 2006 3:25 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote
more than because people are probly trying to do things on dell it wasn't configured for...
beardedgeek
Shana

PostPosted: Fri May 05, 2006 3:49 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote
TRC7 wrote:

such as?

dell back in the day were rather avg but have remarkably improved over the past 5 years.

todays dell baggers are either "i have no life and spend every waking moment tweaking my fsb to get more out of it, and since i do everyone does omg dell suxors" , or fall into the same crew who belive formatting and re-installing windows xp is essential for top speed every month cause thats what we had to do with 95.
black_ops
Banned

PostPosted: Fri May 05, 2006 4:20 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote
so true so true hahahaha
TheHeadSage
Sylia Stingray

PostPosted: Fri May 05, 2006 5:26 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote
TRC7 wrote:

Dell is like Microsoft. Both are large companies that essentialy do nothing. Both seem to piss off nerds and geeks who develop witty phrases like

"Microsoft? More like Microsuck!" and my personal favorite "Dude, you bought a Dell. You're going to hell".

Dells are nice machines, however, their support pisses me off. I just want a RA for a warrenty job, not a huge lecture about rebooting Windows should fix a broken CD Drive from a tech support monkey...
Uniforce
Minawa Andou

PostPosted: Fri May 05, 2006 5:43 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote
beardedgeek wrote:
or fall into the same crew who belive formatting and re-installing windows xp is essential for top speed every month cause thats what we had to do with 95.

ROFL!
when in actual fact the opposite is probably more true Wink (that reminds me, i need to format, but i'm afraid theres too much hidden stuff left that i'd lose Sad)

but, with Dell, i can get them cheap through work, and a few of my workmates have, and from what i've seen, Dell machines are usually set up to do a certain job (like being cheap, doing database stuff or playing games for a few examples) so it'd be best if you can actualy get a list of the cards (or at least the specs) in the machine, and have a good hard look at them if you are going to buy a Dell
People always seek those things, and before they know it, become lost.
Tony
浜崎 あゆみ

PostPosted: Sat May 06, 2006 1:46 am    Post subject: Reply with quote
Acer/Asus is betterer.

Also typing on this laptop is really hard... hope I get used to it.
Mr Waffle
TEH WAFFLES!!11!

PostPosted: Sat May 06, 2006 1:56 am    Post subject: Reply with quote
TRC7 wrote:

Dell computers use many proprietry parts, which means they can't be easily upgraded like regular PCs. This means DIY people tend to dislike them.

That, and they bundle bunches of programs on your computer, known as 'bloatware'. This cripples them to the point that when tested by [H]ard|OCP, the "gaming" XPS system wouldn't even run some major games. Fortunately, Dell have fixed up this situation somewhat.

So basically, Dell isn't for a 'serious' gamer/computer geek. It's fine for a regular person, since that's who it's aimed at.
HimuraBattousai
Kagami Yagami

PostPosted: Sat May 06, 2006 2:12 am    Post subject: Reply with quote
Mr Waffle wrote:
TRC7 wrote:

Dell computers use many proprietry parts, which means they can't be easily upgraded like regular PCs. This means DIY people tend to dislike them.

Of course, with laptops, parts can't be easily upgraded anyway[1], so getting a Dell laptop isn't really much of a disadvantage compared to others in that regard.

[1]Okay, you can stick more RAM in easily enough, and with some you can replace the hard drive without much hassle, but nothing else is user upgradeable.
Nargun
Siegfried Kircheis

PostPosted: Sat May 06, 2006 1:57 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote
Mr Waffle wrote:
TRC7 wrote:

Note that this also makes them difficult to repair; you have your Dell warranty, but that takes time. Also, I've heard bad reports about their service, but I've heard bad reports about everyone's home-user service, so no dice.

Laptops are a special case, though; they still haven't been standardised, as HB says.
beardedgeek
Shana

PostPosted: Sat May 06, 2006 2:53 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote
actually dells have improved on the propriatary parts in the past few years, (apart from the cheap servers that have the 8x pci-e port unable to do videos) .
but their systems with a agp/pci-e card's can be swapped now and their powersupplies are standard( we had a break in at work and they nicked a bunch of them but one of the clowns didn't relise you can open a dell case with a flick of a switch and decided to take out his frustrations with a crowbar. so i had to replace a few parts temporarily).
we've gone of them for new servers until they start putting in d/c opterons Very Happy.
also the warrenty time depends. we've found them to be mostly prompt, next day for most things that are urgent. even sending techs out for warrenty server repairs.

Page 1 of 1

Jump to: