Usergroups  ·  Register ·    Profile  ·  Log in to check your private messages  ·   Log in     

Astroboy collection 2: volume 16 & 17 MAJOR PROBLEMS

Astroboy collection 2: volume 16 & 17 MAJOR PROBLEMS
Author
Hajime Saitou

PostPosted: Mon Mar 27, 2006 4:52 pm    Post subject: Astroboy collection 2: volume 16 & 17 MAJOR PROBLEMS Reply with quote
I bought Astroboy collection 2 dated 14/02/06, and after a couple of weeks finally got to checking it out. Volume 16 and 17 showed major problems on all of the DVD players in our house.

Thinking I had just got a bad set, I took it back and they had to send it back to get a replacement. Today I got the replacement, and, without fail, volume 16 and 17 are showing the exact same problems.

Here is the players tested and the problems shown on each player:

LG DVD/VCR combo
Volume 16 & 17: Played, but player emits a loud humming noise when the DVD is inserted, continues while DVD menu displays and also playing approximately the first 18 minutes. Also makes loud humming noise while playing trailers section. When returning to the menu from anywhere in the DVD, the humming noise starts again.
This loud humming noise makes the DVD unwatchable.

DSE DVD player (G1608)
Volume 16: DVD will not play trailers section or chapter 13+ of main video. exact time of lockup 1:13:42
Volume 17: DVD will not play trailers section or chapter 11+ of main video. From 1:04:30, player starts flicking time shown back and forth from 1:03:30+ to 1:11:30+, until DVD lockup at 1:04:54

Pioneer 105S DVD-ROM
Volume 16 & 17: Works, but ROM drive emits a loud humming noise (louder than any other DVD played in the drive) while playing both DVDs.

Panasonic NV-VP32 DVD/VCR combo
Volume 16: no noticable problems
Volume 17: trailers section works, but all attempts to play any episode do not work - jumps to DVD credits.

These problems can't be to do with any of the players in our house, since they all show problems. What is strange though is they all show different problems. As I said above, I have had the set replaced and the replacement has exactly the same set of problems with each player tested as the first set.

I notice there have been no other problems listed here about this, but it seems unlikely that I would really be unlucky enough to get two bad sets surely?
White Demon
Hajime Saitou

PostPosted: Wed Mar 29, 2006 5:36 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote
Just thought I'd add an update to this.

Yesterday I put the Volume 17 disc into my DVD burner and made a copy of it.
The copy ran fine on all players listed above.

So I don't know what is wrong with the original discs, but copying them fixed the problem on the copies.
TLM1466
Doraemon

PostPosted: Tue Apr 11, 2006 12:36 am    Post subject: Reply with quote
White Demon wrote:
Just thought I'd add an update to this.

Yesterday I put the Volume 17 disc into my DVD burner and made a copy of it.
The copy ran fine on all players listed above.

So I don't know what is wrong with the original discs, but copying them fixed the problem on the copies.

Well woop de doppedy do for you!

Get a life you bastard. Rolling Eyes
HeDanny
Grumpy Old Man

PostPosted: Tue Apr 11, 2006 5:31 am    Post subject: Reply with quote
Friend of yours White Demon?

So is the 60's astro as aswome as I remember it being? I am hanging to get my hands on those two tins. Pitty about your playback issue. If the same thing happens to me once I get them I guess I will simply get around it in the same way you did. Better that then them not be watchable at all.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website Yahoo Messenger
Akira112
Nene Romanova

PostPosted: Tue Apr 11, 2006 8:13 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote
Must be a bad batch. My tin 2 is perfectly fine.

My Forum Family
Sisters-kbz333, mi, cobizah
Cousins-Gir, Hagane, Whitegreek, Rena
Pet Cat-Tallis
Friends-Every Madboarder!
outerspacerace
Shinobu Nagumo

PostPosted: Tue Apr 11, 2006 11:41 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote
Cool, I am looking to pick this up soon, good to know yours worked okay.

Although I would imagine they are from the same "batch" at this early stage of the release.
Hagane_Gir
Gally

PostPosted: Tue Apr 18, 2006 6:02 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote
TLM1466 wrote:

if ur gonna insult people don't post at all... Confused
White Demon
Hajime Saitou

PostPosted: Sat May 06, 2006 5:21 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote
HeDanny wrote:
So is the 60's astro as aswome as I remember it being?

I can't really say on that as I'm too young to have seen the 60's version first time around. First Astroboy I saw was the 80s release.

I honestly can't say I'm enjoying the 60s release as nearly as much as I did the 80s release, or even as much as I did Kimba (which again I never saw in entirety on TV). But I'll hang onto it as I like collecting Astroboy regardless.

Anyway, if you enjoyed it the first time around you should enjoy this release. And, like I explained above, any problems, just run off a copy.

TLM1466 wrote:
Well woop de doppedy do for you!

I seem to have a better life than you, if all you do is insult people.
might_atom_boy
Doraemon

PostPosted: Sun May 07, 2006 11:33 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote
I've being having problems with the 2nd disk of the same boxset.
At a certain spot in the episode "The Clock Tower Mystery" (at the time where
which the female spy tells the evil scientists that's she'll help them
out, but on one condition...) the show would freeze.

It happened on every standalong DVD player (a Pioneer DV-S633A & a Panasonic DMR-E85H) & PC (mostly WinXp machines using PowerDVD as a main software dvd player, All pretty much up to date) I tryed it on. I returned it to JB Hi-Fi, got another copy & it had the same problem.

I haven't had a chance to test the other disks, so it's hard to say if I've being having the same problems that you had.

Anyone think it's worth exchanging it again or wait for Madman to provide a replacement?
outerspacerace
Shinobu Nagumo

PostPosted: Mon May 08, 2006 2:31 am    Post subject: Reply with quote
I'm holding off a purchase until something is confirmed from MM.
T.A.S.C.
Hajime Saitou

PostPosted: Mon May 15, 2006 6:15 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote
I've had similar problems with discs from various companies like the ones you've described. I always thought it was because i have an old region 4 player from 1999. Some new discs act up like they're too advanced for the player. But i also have a regionless $200 LG that'll play anything, but never has escaped a patented Madman glitch, ie. scene skipping, initially loads on Extra's menu etc. But this rarely happens. For me it's a weird humming/vibrating noise, that sounds like the players about to blow up!

Oh well, i guess Madman DVD's are too much 'n' all that, uh-huh Rolling Eyes !
HeDanny
Grumpy Old Man

PostPosted: Mon May 15, 2006 9:57 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote
I am rather conscerned about this, as I have not seen Collection 2 in ANY of the stores around my area (regional Victoria), but Collection 1 is pretty much everywhere. I am conscerned because I will alost certainly buy Collection 2 the first time I see it due to its rarety. I do not want to order it online as I have no faith or trust in Aussie post to get the Tin to me undamaged.

Can we PLEASE get some sort of feedback? I would prefer to look forward to my purchase, as opposed to being conscerned about it as Iam now.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website Yahoo Messenger
outerspacerace
Shinobu Nagumo

PostPosted: Sat May 20, 2006 2:38 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote
I'm considering picking this up in the ezydvd sale but would like a little more feedback too, has anyone that has puchased this set got anything to add? If a couple of people say it works fine I'll feel better.
White Demon
Hajime Saitou

PostPosted: Fri May 26, 2006 9:10 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote
might_atom_boy wrote:
I've being having problems with the 2nd disk of the same boxset.
At a certain spot in the episode "The Clock Tower Mystery" (at the time where
which the female spy tells the evil scientists that's she'll help them
out, but on one condition...) the show would freeze.

It happened on every standalong DVD player (a Pioneer DV-S633A & a Panasonic DMR-E85H) & PC (mostly WinXp machines using PowerDVD as a main software dvd player, All pretty much up to date) I tryed it on. I returned it to JB Hi-Fi, got another copy & it had the same problem.

Anyone think it's worth exchanging it again or wait for Madman to provide a replacement?

I was watching volume 12 tonight (yes, I'm slow watching them) and I'm having exactly the same problem you described.

In episode 60 'The Clock Tower Mystery' it simply locks up at 53:13. By using the search feature on my DSE DVD player remote I can goto 53:23 and continue watching, but anything within that ten second area just locks up the player (I have to eject the DVD and re-insert it to unlock).

As Might_Atom_Boy descrived above, the same problem happens on all DVD players in the house as well as all DVD capable PCs (using Power DVD).

Really, these problems are inexcusable, but what's worse is that no one from Madman seems to be paying any attention to this. THESE PROBLEMS NEED TO BE FIXED. Astroboy may not be as important as some of the other stuff they release, but releases that get no fix (of which there appear to be many) don't look good on the company at all. I can see why this is one of the main reasons people boycott Madman and get all their stuff from US/Canada (R1).

Come on, I want someone from Madman to reply to this to see if anything is going to be done.
outerspacerace
Shinobu Nagumo

PostPosted: Fri May 26, 2006 11:13 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote
Quote:
I'm holding off a purchase until something is confirmed from MM.

Picked it up last night for the bargain price of $63!!! At JB with a 10% stocktake sale, couldn't leave it, very happy with that part of it...

As for the discs, it does suck constantly hearing about things I've just purchased having problems - what many of us consider BIG problems too.

I work, have other hobbies besides watching anime all day and sometimes don't get around to watching things for months, I've not even finished the first Astro 60's set yet. Actually am only up to episode 4 so you get the idea.

Meaning if I don't keep (annoyingly) having to read posts in this section I may never even know about this stuff until ages after purchase when I can't return things.

Thus far the only update I've received via email from MM was about the (INCORRECT) final Vehicle Voltron episode. Was there one for the Lion Voltron, or for two Transformers faults? Maybe I don't know. I just pity Joe Sixpack who may buy all this stuff and isn't the kind to browse a nerdy forum or sign up to email newsletters.

In the last two weeks I've purchased MM DVD's that are giving many people problems (Ranma, Astro 60's II) and I don't know if my player plays them but I don't want to have to watch episodes in advance just to check and report here either.

When is all this going to end?
Slykura
Madman Staff

PostPosted: Sat May 27, 2006 9:01 am    Post subject: Reply with quote
Problems like these are quite difficult to tell what exactly is the cause. There can be many factors in what it may be. We are still investigating as to what is wrong and will offer replacements if/when there is one isssued.

Tracking the SOURCE of the problem and preventing it from happening again is our top priority, at the same time as offering a solution to the problem. We do apologies and thank you for your paitence.

Page 1 of 1

Jump to: