Usergroups  ·  Register ·    Profile  ·  Log in to check your private messages  ·   Log in     

Two sets of keys

Two sets of keys
Author
Melfina

PostPosted: Thu Aug 17, 2006 9:46 am    Post subject: Two sets of keys Reply with quote
If i was holding two sets of keys, one for a Black VS series 3 5 speed manual ute with 18" rims and the other a Black stock R32 skyline GTS-T M-spec. if you could only choose one set of keys witch whould you take, dont ask prices casue i dont want money to cloud your judgement

Edit" PS i want to buy a 11.1" laptop asus or sony (just incase any of you want to sell yours Smile)

“You must endure this loneliness. Man can never completely erase this loneliness because all men are fundamentally alone. Pain is something that man must carry in his heart, and since the heart feels pain so easily. Some believe life is pain”

Last edited by jak on Thu Aug 17, 2006 12:23 pm; edited 1 time in total
Dante
BT

PostPosted: Thu Aug 17, 2006 10:06 am    Post subject: Reply with quote
the skyline, easy. little thing called build quality Wink but, that being said, not only price would be a determining factor for decideding between these two cars. would need to consider:

condition of cars (inside & out, mechanically etc)
kms done compared to how old the car is
owner history
service history
insurance
depending on where you live, power restrictions for P plate drivers on what cars they can drive
etc etc (there are probably more that i can't think of at the time)

but yeah, i'd go with the skyline Very Happy
TEAM Buy Dante Beers!
jak
Melfina

PostPosted: Thu Aug 17, 2006 10:16 am    Post subject: Reply with quote
Ive already chosen the skyline, but i just want to know what everyone else would choose, dont worry about k's or condition just imagine that there both brand new with a pine tree air freshener
“You must endure this loneliness. Man can never completely erase this loneliness because all men are fundamentally alone. Pain is something that man must carry in his heart, and since the heart feels pain so easily. Some believe life is pain”
coldfire
Pants on head crazy

PostPosted: Thu Aug 17, 2006 10:44 am    Post subject: Reply with quote
I'd go with the vs for sure, one thing is for sure u wont be paying tonnes for your insurance, and i know they both can go fast but with a normal car your less likely to want to speed and do stupid things like ppl do with there skylines.(and yes most of my friends with skylines have either lost their licence or played chicken with mr power pole and they still dont learn, not saying everyone is like that though.)
And i was also told by a car sales man that these "mohamed car's" have a lots of trouble with km's as they are wound back and such before being shipped here, if their second hand that is.
Even if their eyes are scorched.Even if their arms are writhing, they will never stop marching head,guided by the will'o the wisp.They will will their way and shoot at point-blak distance,the footsteps that have thrown life away, the trigger that brings death.,the 901 Anti-Tank-Trooper.
Dante
BT

PostPosted: Thu Aug 17, 2006 10:44 am    Post subject: Reply with quote
jak wrote:
Ive already chosen the skyline, but i just want to know what everyone else would choose, dont worry about k's or condition just imagine that there both brand new with a pine tree air freshener

when why are you sitting in front of a computer asking us for? GO OUT AND ENJOY THE CAR! Laughing

*me waits for Sauce to notice this thread* Razz
TEAM Buy Dante Beers!
Kloppy
Nene Romanova

PostPosted: Thu Aug 17, 2006 11:10 am    Post subject: Reply with quote
Skyline would be my pick, again depending on the condition of the car.

(Both would've been thrashed from time to time, I'm sure)
jak
Melfina

PostPosted: Thu Aug 17, 2006 12:22 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote
Dante wrote:
[..]

when why are you sitting in front of a computer asking us for? GO OUT AND ENJOY THE CAR! Laughing

*me waits for Sauce to notice this thread* Razz

Ha ha i dont have it yet man. but when i do ill let you all know Smile
BGSarevok
Yoriko Nakaido

PostPosted: Thu Aug 17, 2006 12:24 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote
I'd pick the Skyline. Not too fond of utes. Or Commodores.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail AIM Address Yahoo Messenger MSN Messenger ICQ Number
El_Haroldo
Banned

PostPosted: Thu Aug 17, 2006 12:50 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote
Skyline all the way. It shouldn't need explaining, but just in case:
* While both of them only have 2 doors, a ute doesn't have back seats for more bros and hoes.
* As long as it's only running the stock 7 psi, 2.0L-t straight six drinks less than a 3.8 V6, (or maybe a 5.0L V8?), although you're going to have to pay for Optimax.
* If you're a young guy, insurance is going to be pretty hefty no matter which you drive in might as well go for the car that looks and performs better.
* The Skyline will hold it's value better than the ute, despite the difference in age. M-spec is highly desirable.

On the downside, the cops are going to pull you over from time to time, ask to see your license, maybe do a roadworthy on the car, ask where you're going, what you're doing. You don't need to actually do anything for this to happen, but it gets worse if you mod your car in any way.

Boguns will have a go at you for driving a gook car, and geeks who ride the train will have a go because skyline's are a piss-poor wannabe of real sports cars like in pgr3.

Dante makes all very important points to give thought to, and he is knowlegable on all sorts of ****, espcially how to make your car look awesome.

Coldfire: generally speaking, unless they're specifically for work, utes, the tough aussie bloke mentality that you must have if you drive a ute, RWD + long wheelbase + light weight, means they get driven by some of the worst Trevor on the road. While this isn't to say high powered imports don't get driven badly, RTA figures show utes are involved in more fatal accidents than is proportionate given how many of them are on the road. Especially among guys aged 18-24.

As for the 'Mohamed's cars' having trouble with kilometres a) They are all second hand, b) people alter odometer readings on all sorts of cars, it's not just the sneaky ***** doing it c) you believe everything a car salesman says?

R32's are between 13 (for the very last series 2, 1993 models) and 18 (when it was a revolution in '88 ) years old, so expect a few km's on it.

There's usually a little silver sticker with kanji on it that should be on the rocker cover just above the belts, if the timing belt has been changed. Apparently the belts get changed almost religiously in Japan before 100,000km, sometimes a lot less if it's going to exported(mine got a new belt before it got here at 70,000km's or so.) So if the sticker is there and someone says it's got 20,000km's on it, look closer.

If it's an aftermarket speedo (the wicked nismo ones go up to 320 instead of the boring 180) then the km's are unquestionably not legit, ask if they know.

Wear and tear on the body, interior and engine is the best sign of how legit the odomter reading is.

Not sure if they are the cars you were considering or just the most convient pictures of an R32 and VS ute, but those wheels on the holden aren't 18's, and the skyline wheels aren't stock either.

***Post edited for potentially racist remarks*** -Kloppy
Kermi
resonance cascade

PostPosted: Thu Aug 17, 2006 2:08 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote
I would never buy a ute unless I needed to buy a ute. I'd pick the Skyline from those options, but probably wouldn't seek out either, myself.
Dante
BT

PostPosted: Thu Aug 17, 2006 2:21 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote
El_Haroldo wrote:
Dante makes all very important points to give thought to, and he is knowlegable on all sorts of ****, espcially how to make your car look awesome

Very Happy thanks El_Haroldo! a bling-o-meter? funny stuff. Laughing

El_Haroldo wrote:
On the downside, the cops are going to pull you over from time to time, ask to see your license, maybe do a roadworthy on the car, ask where you're going, what you're doing. You don't need to actually do anything for this to happen, but it gets worse if you mod your car in any way.

this is so very true and very, very unfair in most if not all cases.

*lights in rearview mirror, pull over*
officer: can i see you license please?
me: sure. *hands over P plate license*
officer: wow, your on your P's mate?
me: ahh, yeah. any reason you pulled me over officer?
officer:no, not really. and you actually own this car?
me: yes.
officer: and where are you heading?
me:just finished work and heading home.
officer: is the car modified in any way?
me: ahh, yeah.
*he goes off and checks licence, comes back*
officer: thanks for your time, have a good afternoon
o.O

and the amount of people in excels that will want to race you Confused

you guys don't use BP ultimate down there?
TEAM Buy Dante Beers!
Sauce
Sakura Kinomoto

PostPosted: Thu Aug 17, 2006 4:09 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote
Skyline duh. Partly because that's what I drive anyway, and partly because unless you're a tradie or something I don't see much point in owning a ute.

And don't let anyone tell you the Skyline wont be reliable because it's a turbo and imported. My R33 has over 160k on the clock, and as unfortunate as it may be to have that many K's it's still damn near bulletproof and doesn't skip a beat with the couple of small mods I have on the car.

Prepare yourselves for the subjugation!

Last edited by Sauce on Thu Aug 17, 2006 4:13 pm; edited 1 time in total
Kloppy
Nene Romanova

PostPosted: Thu Aug 17, 2006 4:12 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote
Sauce wrote:
Skyline duh. Partly because that's what I drive anyway, and partly because unless you're a tradie or something I don't see much point in owning a ute.
A panel van on the other hand.....
Tachikoma
Shiki Tohno

PostPosted: Thu Aug 17, 2006 6:22 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote
anything that's remotely holden should be fire bombed
Kloppy
Nene Romanova

PostPosted: Thu Aug 17, 2006 8:14 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote
Tachikoma wrote:
That's a little harsh...
Top Gear on SBS had a great comparitive review of muscle cars including the Monaro, which incidently came out on top.

I think if the said ute was a bit more supped up it might be a more interesting decision.
Tony
浜崎 あゆみ

PostPosted: Thu Aug 17, 2006 8:22 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote
If you need the ute for work or something, buy that. Otherwise get the skyline. Why would you need a ute if you didn't need it for some pratical reason? It's not a luxury car like the Skyline is.
Kermi
resonance cascade

PostPosted: Thu Aug 17, 2006 10:08 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote
Tachikoma wrote:
Them's fightin' words. Evil or Very Mad
Dante
BT

PostPosted: Thu Aug 17, 2006 11:18 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote
Kloppy wrote:
I think if the said ute was a bit more supped up it might be a more interesting decision.

how 'bout between a HSV Maloo R8 and a Skyline GT-R R34 V-Spec? Very Happy now that's a interesting decision (even though i'd still choose the skyline Razz )
TEAM Buy Dante Beers!
TheHeadSage
Sylia Stingray

PostPosted: Fri Aug 18, 2006 12:17 am    Post subject: Reply with quote
I'd pick the car that converts to LPG better. Otherwise I'd flip a coin.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website MSN Messenger
El_Haroldo
Banned

PostPosted: Fri Aug 18, 2006 12:35 am    Post subject: Reply with quote
Going to make the most of Johnny's rebate? gg, until gas prices rise to meet petrol, which they will.

Holden's apparently don't do that well with aftermarket conversions, it **** the valves and cylinder head.

Skyline I wouldn't even think about it. Just say no.

Maloo r8 vs. r34 v-spec is no contest at all.
jak
Melfina

PostPosted: Fri Aug 18, 2006 10:26 am    Post subject: Reply with quote
Sauce wrote:

And don't let anyone tell you the Skyline wont be reliable because it's a turbo and imported. My R33 has over 160k on the clock, and as unfortunate as it may be to have that many K's it's still damn near bulletproof and doesn't skip a beat with the couple of small mods I have on the car.

R33 = High speed Taxi Razz i think they look like a taxi

I saw a MR2 the other day as well, what do you guys think?

[img]http://www.jds-auto-imports.com/car_popup.php?picID=content/car_full/DSCF2096.JPG[/img]

Its 1988 MR2 supercharged, if you want to google it.

Thank you all for your comments, i like to hear everyone’s opinion on this subject cause i don’t really know what i want, but i know i want to get rid of my corolla and buy somthing fast before petrol prices become seirous
Bazza
Shinobu Nagumo

PostPosted: Fri Aug 18, 2006 11:08 am    Post subject: Reply with quote
If there's nothing wrong with your Corolla I'd stay with that. Very Happy

Get a turbo + intercooler and other assorted go-fast bits to compliment them, and a Takumi paint job and you have yourself one sick sled. Wink
jak
Melfina

PostPosted: Fri Aug 18, 2006 11:22 am    Post subject: Reply with quote
Bazza wrote:
If there's nothing wrong with your Corolla I'd stay with that. Very Happy

Get a turbo + intercooler and other assorted go-fast bits to compliment them, and a Takumi paint job and you have yourself one sick sled. Wink

Ummm.... its a 92 SE not a 86 torino or leven Razz i dont like the interior of the "AE86" its too 80's lookin. I hate two tone paint jobs, if i had a toreno idd have it mat black with black wheels.
Space Samurai
Minawa Andou

PostPosted: Fri Aug 18, 2006 12:24 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote
jak wrote:
[..]

Ummm.... its a 92 SE not a 86 torino or leven Razz i dont like the interior of the "AE86" its too 80's lookin. I hate two tone paint jobs, if i had a toreno idd have it mat black with black wheels.

R32's are over 15 years old and that spells high kms usually,also that parts are harder to find due to it being an import. The VS would be of course newer that the R32, but the V6 is going to hurt your wallet in fuel and it's a holden Razz

I myself have been considering getting a late model sportivo corolla. I suggest you get a newer Corolla ^^

PS I'd take the R32 if I had to choose though Wink
Dante
BT

PostPosted: Fri Aug 18, 2006 12:25 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote
adding a turbo to older engines could/can be a costly exercise and in some case might require a mechanics engineering certificate (i think?) and can get complicated when the police pull you over and start going over the car
TEAM Buy Dante Beers!
Space Samurai
Minawa Andou

PostPosted: Fri Aug 18, 2006 12:29 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote
Dante wrote:
adding a turbo to older engines could/can be a costly exercise and in some case might require a mechanics engineering certificate (i think?) and can get complicated when the police pull you over and start going over the car

I concur! Factory standard models are the way to go if you like the turbo Smile
El_Haroldo
Banned

PostPosted: Fri Aug 18, 2006 12:52 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote
Despite the fact aftermarket turbos, if chosen corectly and fitted properly will perform better than the standard T3 and can withstand far more boost than factory items?

As a p-plater, I can't legally have a gts-t, but before too long...

MR2: has the supercharged 4AGEZ (I think that's it) which is also present in the tougher versions of the AE series, corollas, or levins, whatever they are. Looks wierd and has weird mid-mounted engine I think.

There's a few Takumi-wannabes getting around, I don't recommend it. It's a lot of money to piss away on a car your nan would drive, followed by spending more than the car is worth getting the loudest venting wastegate known to mankind, to make up for the fact they don't go any quicker. If you think you might one day want to try your hand at drifting, find a 180sx or s13 with coilovers, don't turbocharge a corollo.

As for R33's being taxis..yeah, they are slightly larger and have a more smoother shape, but I think it looks sleeker than the thin, angular shape of the R32, slightly larger engine, usually fewer km's and generally in better shape than the many badly hacked up R32's out there.
Bazza
Shinobu Nagumo

PostPosted: Fri Aug 18, 2006 1:41 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote
Don't listen to the fools above they don't know anything about cars. Wink

You need to get a bodykit and sideskirts that are 3mm off the ground, a rear wing that stands at least 45 centimeters above the roofline, and some fully sick 22's and a blingin' fluro purple paintjob. Then get a fake intercooler mounted in the front of the bodykit and make hole in the bonnet for a fake top mounted intercooler and then you gotta paint yellow racing stripes on it.
Very Happy
jak
Melfina

PostPosted: Fri Aug 18, 2006 1:42 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote
Space Samurai wrote:
[..]

R32's are over 15 years old and that spells high kms usually,also that parts are harder to find due to it being an import. The VS would be of course newer that the R32, but the V6 is going to hurt your wallet in fuel and it's a holden Razz

I myself have been considering getting a late model sportivo corolla. I suggest you get a newer Corolla ^^

PS I'd take the R32 if I had to choose though Wink

You can usulay pick them up around 80,000kms to 130,000kms

I drove round a mates 1991 m-spec R32 for a week while he was on holiday, and the fuel cost me more than it cost's my cousin with his Toyota Lexen (VR commodore) the turbo add lots to the fuel bill, but it depends wether you have a boost controler and how hard you drive it.
Space Samurai
Minawa Andou

PostPosted: Fri Aug 18, 2006 2:44 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote
Bazza wrote:
Don't listen to the fools above they don't know anything about cars. Wink

I don't know that much about cars but I know I work as an Automotive Spare Parts Interpreter.
Dante
BT

PostPosted: Fri Aug 18, 2006 3:12 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote
Space Samurai wrote:
I concur! Factory standard models are the way to go if you like the turbo Smile

exactly! if eventually you want alittle more out of you car Very Happy you can simply upgrade to a larger turbo and since all you are doing is replacing something that the car came with from factory, no engineering certificate required!

Bazza wrote:
You need to get a bodykit and sideskirts that are 3mm off the ground, a rear wing that stands at least 45 centimeters above the roofline, and some fully sick 22's and a blingin' fluro purple paintjob. Then get a fake intercooler mounted in the front of the bodykit and make hole in the bonnet for a fake top mounted intercooler and then you gotta paint yellow racing stripes on it.

and do all of this on an excel Confused
TEAM Buy Dante Beers!
redacidman
Mayuko Chigasaki

PostPosted: Sat Aug 19, 2006 9:37 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote
I've actually seen a hyundai like that...

the idiot keep's cooking the engine management cable due to the lack of adequete cooling within the engine bay...

so i can understand why they put a bonnet scoop on...

whether they have a turbo or not, i can see the practical application for the bonnet scoop...

capasity size of your motor doesn't negate the size of your feul tank...

capasity size of motor means it chews more feul per km you travel...

though the more power you want the more feul you will burn in a lead or unleaded fuel your car uses today...

the only time i see a turbo being benefit to a car is if the car runs on diesel... on a normal petrol car waste of time and money using it unless you wish to run it down the quarter mile, whether you use a standard manafacturers or or after market turbo...

if you got money to burn i'd go with the r32 or r34, though expect alot of hastles with the law with it...
if you're looking at a hauling vehicle then go with the holden, i doubt the ricer would be as a good towing vehicle...
Dante
BT

PostPosted: Sun Aug 20, 2006 12:18 am    Post subject: Reply with quote
why don't you admit your blackops and we'll go from there.....

redacidman wrote:
whether they have a turbo or not, i can see the practical application for the bonnet scoop...

the scoop isn't for the turbo but anyway.....now, if they didn't have a top mount intercooler i wouldn't see much reason for having bonnet scoop. think about it. hot air rises and if there is no top mount intercooler to soak it up the outside air hitting the scoop is just going to push the hot air back in. but if the scoop was on backwards, some of the cool air is caught by the front mount and the rest passes through the front grill, over the engine and pushes the hot air out the scoop. im pretty sure they use a similar sort of set up for rally cars but they remove the grill that sits between the windscreen and back of the bonnet, where your wipers are mounted on.

redacidman wrote:
the only time i see a turbo being benefit to a car is if the car runs on diesel... on a normal petrol car waste of time and money using it unless you wish to run it down the quarter mile, whether you use a standard manafacturers or or after market turbo...

but it's so funny cause when you put your foot down in a 2 ltr turbo you use piss all fuel compared to when you put your foot down in v8 and use half a tank. that's why a turbo is good, push-you-back-in-your-seat performance with using a quarter of the fuel. and you don't just use turbos for quarter miles either Rolling Eyes

redacidman wrote:
if you got money to burn i'd go with the r32 or r34, though expect alot of hastles with the law with it...

if your young and drive like an idiot, expect to be pulled over alot no matter what you drive. drive with sense and expect minimal, if not none, problems with the boys in blue.

redacidman wrote:
if you're looking at a hauling vehicle then go with the holden, i doubt the ricer would be as a good towing vehicle...

i doubt the bogan-mobile can handle as well as the skyline Wink
TEAM Buy Dante Beers!
redacidman
Mayuko Chigasaki

PostPosted: Sun Aug 20, 2006 1:54 am    Post subject: Reply with quote
actaully i added the remark about the ricer getting pulled up, 1 of 2 things it's getting pulled over for: 1. excessive noise. 2. speeding..

as for the fuel economy part of a turbo in a diesel it's half's the fuel bill...

though in a petrol based car it's it just gives a HP power gain in the lower gears, pending on the perticular setup the turbo uses...

on a petrol based V8 car you don't see many with a turbo's, though when it comes to v8 diesel you might..

they mainly use a super charger on a v8 petrol engine...

i'm not saying you can't stick a turbo on petrol v8, though the practice isn't widely used, finding someone that stocks after market gear for them is few and far between..

it's safe to say anything that has bhp rating over 500, isn't really designed for road use in mind anyway, i know some will probly say being produced now with 600bhp for road use, though i find in reality if you have car with that much horse power it shouldn't be legal for road use unless you're planning to tow a 30+foot caravan with it, where you require the pulling power for it..

with the rate of the way the fuel prices are going at the moment, the smaller car is going to see alot more use than a 6 or 8 cyllinder motor will..

though the size of your feul tank will dictate how much it will cost to fill your car up, not the capasity of which the car consumes the fuel...

I can see ressurections in old model 4cyl coming back to be the norm in the buyers guides, if this fuel crisis dowsn't sort itself soon...

i could see updated versions of the gemini and any other 70's & 80's small to mid size cars becoming more relevent to use due to the price of fuel...

or i could see or bio-diesel becoming more widely used in diesel motor cars, since it's pretty simple and cheap to make..
El_Haroldo
Banned

PostPosted: Sun Aug 20, 2006 3:03 am    Post subject: Reply with quote
old model 4 cyl gagagoogoo guzzle it compared to their newer peers.

Dante; I'm totally buying you beers if we ever meet.
Dante
BT

PostPosted: Sun Aug 20, 2006 4:53 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote
El_Haroldo wrote:
Dante; I'm totally buying you beers if we ever meet.

ok, i'll get the second round, i'll have a XXXX thanks Very Happy

redacidman wrote:
actaully i added the remark about the ricer getting pulled up, 1 of 2 things it's getting pulled over for: 1. excessive noise. 2. speeding..

if the car has a completely stock exhaust and fails a sound test, the cops can't make you do anything about it, period. a older cousin of mine had beautifully restored kingsman (can't remember which model thou) and coppers pull him over for a sound test. the kingsman failed big time, around the 100db mark i think he said, but because the exhaust was completely stock and a genuine kingsman exhaust for that model the cops had no choice but to pass it. and the speeding thing is the person, not the car

redacidman wrote:
though the size of your feul tank will dictate how much it will cost to fill your car up, not the capasity of which the car consumes the fuel...

i don't quite understand this. it's how often you fill the car up that costs you which depends on what size the engine is and how much it uses. i mean a small car might have a large tank but doesn't use as much fuel therefore doesn't cost as much in the long run because your not filling the large tank up as often. the way i see it would be:

bigger engine + chews through more fuel + large fuel tank + fuel prices = having to fill a larger tank more often which costs alot

smaller engine + doesn't chew through as much fuel + medium/small tank + fuel prices = having to fill a medium/small tank not as often which doesn't cost as much

this all, of course, also depends how much of a lead foot you have too.

friend of mine owns a 2004 v6 auto holden balina (spelling?), has a 80 lt tank, uses regular unleaded and a tank usually lasts him a week(or less sometimes!). i think he said it costs him about $80~90 to fill it up completely

i own a modified 2001 wrx, manual, has a 60 lt tank, use BP ulitimate and 3/4 of a tank (i don't empty mine cause of the in-tank fuel pump) lasts week and a half. costs me about $50~55 to fill up the 3/4 tank.
TEAM Buy Dante Beers!
BGSarevok
Yoriko Nakaido

PostPosted: Sun Aug 20, 2006 5:26 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote
I second the 'buying Dante beer' motion. At this rate, you're gonna have a case or two. XD

Also, a 100db exhaust.. would be annoying to drive, I think.
redacidman
Mayuko Chigasaki

PostPosted: Sun Aug 20, 2006 5:43 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote
actually a car chews more feul stopping and starting all the time, than it would taking it on a long run....

you just proved what i said dante, though you went into more detail than what i did...
Dante
BT

PostPosted: Sun Aug 20, 2006 5:59 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote
.....no, try reading what i posted again....

Dante wrote:
it's how often you fill the car up that costs you which depends on what size the engine is and how much it uses

and yes, it is true that you will get more km's out of a car on a highway. my 13 year old 626 mazda was awesome, 650~680 kms out of one tank of fuel on the highway Very Happy that also included slowing down when passing through towns and what not
TEAM Buy Dante Beers!
Sauce
Sakura Kinomoto

PostPosted: Sun Aug 20, 2006 6:29 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote
Piusdgfd. Dante, you're getting another beer from me.

Prepare yourselves for the subjugation!
Bazza
Shinobu Nagumo

PostPosted: Sun Aug 20, 2006 8:14 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote
My understanding of the whole situation is as follows.

Lets say it takes, oh I dunno, 45 horsepower (random figure) to keep a car moving at a steady speed on flat ground in static conditions (ie. no wind) on an open highway. Now, lets say my engine naturally aspirated produces that 45 horsepower at 25% throttle in top gear at, say, 2500rpm (more random figures).

If I were to install a turbo (or any performance-enahcning device) I believe that the amount of throttle required to produce that 45hp would reduce, therefore the amount of petrol used would be lower as the engine will operate more efficiantly (ie more power for each combustion).

I'm wide open for expert correction as my understanding of cars is minimal. I just like the ones that look cool. Razz
Dante
BT

PostPosted: Sun Aug 20, 2006 8:56 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote
christ! where all these beers come from! Very Happy

Bazza - but wouldn't you still need to burn the same amount of fuel to create the required exhaust gases to spool the turbo up so it can compress the incoming air for combustion?
TEAM Buy Dante Beers!
Bazza
Shinobu Nagumo

PostPosted: Sun Aug 20, 2006 9:04 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote
I'm not sure to be honest.

I've always thought that more horsepower from the same amount of petrol used means a more efficient-burning engine. Perhaps my theory would work with items such as a free-flow exhaust or some form of performance air intake/filter, but not with a turbo as that effectively runs off the engine anyway. Like I said I don't really know a whole lot. Confused
Dante
BT

PostPosted: Sun Aug 20, 2006 11:33 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote
a engineer in a field related to cars was posting on rexnet awhile back and said that petrol engines when worked out on paper are quite efficient but come real life, all that is thrown out the window. the sums just don't add up in real life apparently Confused

hmmm....
Wikipedia says wrote:
Since a turbocharger increases the specific horsepower output of an engine, the engine will also produce increased amounts of waste heat. This can sometimes be a problem when fitting a turbocharger to a car that was not designed to cope with high heat loads. This extra waste heat combined with the lower compression ratio (more specifically, expansion ratio) of turbocharged engines contributes to slightly lower thermal efficiency, which has a small but direct impact on overall fuel efficiency.

so there you go! that sort of anwsers your question Bazza
TEAM Buy Dante Beers!
ssj_zorella
Rei Ayanami

PostPosted: Mon Aug 21, 2006 10:36 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote
Skyline.

At least after a year it will be worth more than $1000, which will be that the ute will be worth.

I'm rather grumpy at cars today. Passed my love Stanley being driven by his new owner... in bubbly... ugly....hubcaps. Why? WHY!

Page 1 of 1

Jump to: