Usergroups  ·  Register ·    Profile  ·  Log in to check your private messages  ·   Log in     

New Queensland Learners & Provisional Licence Laws

New Queensland Learners & Provisional Licence Laws
Author
BT

PostPosted: Sun Aug 20, 2006 6:22 pm    Post subject: New Queensland Learners & Provisional Licence Laws Reply with quote
if you haven't heard already, Queensland government in it's infinte wisdom has some changes coming up for Learner & Provisional Licence owners.

changes can be seen here, about halfway down the page.

the major listed changes include:

- gaining 100 hours of certified supervised on-road driving experience for learners under 25s
- introduction of a two-phased P1 and P2 provisional licence system
- peer passenger restrictions (only carrying one passenger aged under 21) from 11pm to 5am for P1 under 25

and my favourite
- high-powered vehicle restrictions for provisional drivers under 25.

fact sheets for learner drivers and provisional drivers are also avaiable going in to more detail on the changes to the respective licences.

i understand that these new laws coming to queensland are very, if not the same, similar to the laws introduced to nsw alittle while back. while queensland haven't released it's restricted car list, the nsw list is quite detailed! but i highly doubt that a p plate driver is ever going to get there hands on a ferrari or an aston martin, but are listed anyway.

i just see this as a round-about way for the government to not supply funding for better younger driver education and just lays the blame on the cars. although i do agree with some of the conditions that they are bringing in (no mobile phone of any type etc).

but my main concern will be under 25 drivers that have a performance car that is on the restricted list but where issued with an open licence before the changes came in. sure, it say that it will not affect us/them but what about insurance? and police attitude when pulled over in such a situation?

disscuss!
TEAM Buy Dante Beers!
madmangohan
Noooooooooooooooo

PostPosted: Sun Aug 20, 2006 9:28 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote
I read about this about a week or so ago when the paper ran an article on it.
Having just got my P's (about 8 weeks ago actually), I know personally it will not affect me, however it will be affecting my sister.

I did notice that it was very much similar to NSW's system they have in place. I learnt alot about that system since my cousins were going for their licenses when I visited them some time ago.
My parents wanted me to do similar things that they did (log driving and various things) however that pretty much fell through early on.

As much as I applaud them for finally taking these measures, I am very much glad down below that I should not be affected by them.
I know I would be very annoyed if the restrictions were to affect me.

I was personally very glad when I finally got my P's. Not just because I could legally drive without my parent's beside me (they still did come with me for the first few weeks afterwards), but because I was able to dispose of sticking plates on the car, knowing that it is not required to show P plates in Queensland.
I always felt burdened by the plates. They made me stick out like a sore thumb, and I just felt realy bad if I stalled and clogged traffic trying to get going. It only made me feel worse that I'd be driving and idiots would yell at me when they go by, even when I did nothing wrong.

I just couldn't imagine sticking more plates on any car I drive, especially for 3 years. Sure I understand the reasons, but after feeling the freedom you get when you can actually drive without them, I kinda feel sorry for those who do get affected by this.
Needless to say, my mother wants me to stick P plates on my car when the laws are introduced. I might...but only when she's in the car.

I do have to applaud them with the log book though.
I was dumbfounded why it was very much possible for somebody to get their L's, do nothing, and in 6 months go and get their P's.
Mandatory night drving is especially good because honestly, when you're learning, night driving is a whole new experience.

I don't see much in these laws that would have honestly affected me elsewise other than the passenger limit after 11.
I do know I will secretly be feeling a little sorry for the new drivers though.

Anime News Network Australia
Dante
BT

PostPosted: Sun Aug 20, 2006 9:37 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote
when i had my P's and got my new car about a year ago, i was seriously considering putting the P plate on my car just to be a prick and see what kind of reaction i'd get from other people Razz

i also agree that the log book is an excelent idea as previously you didn't need any scrap of proof that you had been taking lessons with a qualified person.

but i do know that when the laws are passed that there possibly could be alot of cheap performance cars on the market because half of the buyers (20-25 yo's) will be gone!
TEAM Buy Dante Beers!
Sauce
Sakura Kinomoto

PostPosted: Sun Aug 20, 2006 10:55 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote
This is why I'm glad I have a full licence :p

Prepare yourselves for the subjugation!
Dante
BT

PostPosted: Sun Aug 20, 2006 11:02 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote
but implications of owning a performance car but still under 25 on your opens are still there. im sure insurance companies won't over look that in a hurry Confused
TEAM Buy Dante Beers!
Tony
浜崎 あゆみ

PostPosted: Mon Aug 21, 2006 1:39 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote
Victoria has always had the "no high powered vehicles" rule for P plate people, or maybe its just you can't learn in one, I can't remember.

Victoria doesn't have any mandatory hours you need to practice for. They "recommend" 120 hours but I didn't do anywhere near that.

And that passenger law absolutely sucks. I think that was suggested here though but didn't get very far.
~shinigami~
Shana

PostPosted: Mon Aug 21, 2006 2:46 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote
NSW had this implemented a while ago which I deeply angered me. Evil or Very Mad
Tony
浜崎 あゆみ

PostPosted: Mon Aug 21, 2006 7:38 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote
All these rules?
supra
Kenshin Himura

PostPosted: Mon Aug 21, 2006 8:43 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote
From what i can see yeh. But i think we only need 50hrs and at least 2 of them has to be with them driving instructers (i could be wrong on this one).
Regarding to the perfromance vechile thing, i remeber getting a letter from the rta (whilst i was on my Ls) that listing what you cant drive as well as the exemptions. Though that being all said, no one really gives a krap about the new regulations anyways Rolling Eyes
El_Haroldo
Banned

PostPosted: Tue Aug 22, 2006 12:26 am    Post subject: Reply with quote
Tony wrote:
Victoria has always had the "no high powered vehicles" rule for P plate people, or maybe its just you can't learn in one, I can't remember.

Victoria doesn't have any mandatory hours you need to practice for. They "recommend" 120 hours but I didn't do anywhere near that.

And that passenger law absolutely sucks. I think that was suggested here though but didn't get very far.

The law down here works on a power to weight ratio, so you can have a crappy old heavy v8, or a not overly powerful turbocharged car, but nothing too extreme.

Then they changed the law, saying anything supercharged or turbocharged, was illegal to drive for victorian p-platers. In fact the law may have already changed.
DXPetti
Washu Hakubi

PostPosted: Tue Aug 22, 2006 7:45 am    Post subject: Reply with quote
Tony wrote:

Yah, P platers have a High Performace Vehicle list they cannot choose from. Doesn't stop them though. I see countless WRXs with P plates on them.

But now the cops have the power to impound your car for anything they see they fit.

Oh and there is new laws for Ps and Ls coming in next year for Victoria and you MUST have a log book and you MUST rack up 120 hours.

Big changes soon.

EDIT: yer what El_Haroldo said
~shinigami~
Shana

PostPosted: Tue Aug 22, 2006 9:01 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote
DXPetti wrote:
[..]

Yah, P platers have a High Performace Vehicle list they cannot choose from. Doesn't stop them though. I see countless WRXs with P plates on them.

Some of these people would be legitimately exempt because they've had their cars before the laws were implemented or they have acquired an exemption after it was implemented. But some of them are probably just risking it.
Tony
浜崎 あゆみ

PostPosted: Wed Aug 23, 2006 12:07 am    Post subject: Reply with quote
DXPetti wrote:
[..]

But now the cops have the power to impound your car for anything they see they fit.

Oh and there is new laws for Ps and Ls coming in next year for Victoria and you MUST have a log book and you MUST rack up 120 hours.

Big changes soon.

EDIT: yer what El_Haroldo said

Thank god I already have me P's. Very Happy

And its fair enough they ban the high powered vehicles, there are too many crazy maniacs on the road around here.
Dante
BT

PostPosted: Wed Aug 23, 2006 12:14 am    Post subject: Reply with quote
El_Haroldo wrote:

The law down here works on a power to weight ratio, so you can have a crappy old heavy v8, or a not overly powerful turbocharged car, but nothing too extreme.

Then they changed the law, saying anything supercharged or turbocharged, was illegal to drive for victorian p-platers. In fact the law may have already changed.

Queensland Transport wrote:
Vehicles such as V8 or turbo charged cars, or modified vehicles will be restricted from use by
provisional licence holders.

qld seem to be covering all their bases here Confused but what about honda's and vtec? and the modified part will be tricky to cover. what counts as a modification and what doesn't? and what about mods that they couldn't possibably pick up? (ie. stock ecu with a more "aggressive" tune on it via flashing it on)

i find it funny that they listed ford 1987 f100 v8 turbo diesel. has anyone actually driven on of these? i have (it was quite fun too off road but thats beside the point) and they are gagagoogoo slow as. you usually take off in 2nd gear because 1st is too slow, what's the point of listing it? Confused
TEAM Buy Dante Beers!
El_Haroldo
Banned

PostPosted: Wed Aug 23, 2006 1:12 am    Post subject: Reply with quote
Tony wrote:
And its fair enough they ban the high powered vehicles, there are too many crazy maniacs on the road around here.

I work by night down in an industrial estate. Wide roads meant for trucks, no traffic after usual business hours, no kids playing in the street. It's a magnet for wanker drivers.

On smoke breaks I watch them drive down and listen to them doing burnouts and powerslides. The most often sighted car for these Trevor is the good ol' VN commodore, $3 k's worth of 18 year old family car. Or a VL commodore. Or the not-so-trusty XF falcon.

People who are going to drive like that are going to do it in any old rusty pile of ****. I used my factory area as an example, but plenty of these young guys do it in the street.

Admittedly, high-powered cars in the hands of inexperienced and over-confident drivers isn't a recipe for success, but banning decent cars from being driven by anyone under the age of 25 is just an idea that pisses off guys like dante, sauce, shinigami, and me. It's propaganda, because the knob jockeys who like to get the commonwhore sideways at every right turn can continue doing so while those of us who have cars we enjoy and take care of get penalised.

Of course, long after the VN drivers have got bored and left, the cops arrive to investigate reports of irresponsible driving, and give me and my R33 the evil eye. "I've just left work officer. Yes, I work in that factory right there. Yes, I work this late. Shift work you see. No, as you can see, the tyres are still cold. Yes this is my car. My license? Sure, here it is. Can I go now? No?"
Sauce
Sakura Kinomoto

PostPosted: Wed Aug 23, 2006 3:01 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote
It's ****, but really, as long as I'm in the ACT I'm not going to have any trouble.

With all the Kebab-spec WRXs dumped on 20s to within millimeters of the ground, riced out bright pink lancers and generally unroadworthy commonwhores around here a standard R33 with an exhaust dosn't even get a first look, let alone a second from the cops.

Prepare yourselves for the subjugation!
Tony
浜崎 あゆみ

PostPosted: Wed Aug 23, 2006 3:59 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote
El_Haroldo wrote:
[..]

I work by night down in an industrial estate. Wide roads meant for trucks, no traffic after usual business hours, no kids playing in the street. It's a magnet for wanker drivers.

On smoke breaks I watch them drive down and listen to them doing burnouts and powerslides. The most often sighted car for these Trevor is the good ol' VN commodore, $3 k's worth of 18 year old family car. Or a VL commodore. Or the not-so-trusty XF falcon.

People who are going to drive like that are going to do it in any old rusty pile of ****. I used my factory area as an example, but plenty of these young guys do it in the street.

Admittedly, high-powered cars in the hands of inexperienced and over-confident drivers isn't a recipe for success, but banning decent cars from being driven by anyone under the age of 25 is just an idea that pisses off guys like dante, sauce, shinigami, and me. It's propaganda, because the knob jockeys who like to get the commonwhore sideways at every right turn can continue doing so while those of us who have cars we enjoy and take care of get penalised.

Of course, long after the VN drivers have got bored and left, the cops arrive to investigate reports of irresponsible driving, and give me and my R33 the evil eye. "I've just left work officer. Yes, I work in that factory right there. Yes, I work this late. Shift work you see. No, as you can see, the tyres are still cold. Yes this is my car. My license? Sure, here it is. Can I go now? No?"

Fair enough, I get your point, cos most of the maniac drivers around here either drive a VL/VN or a Falcon/Fairlane. All easily pass the high performance vehicle thing - most driven are the older models too. And around here, you don't even have to hide, speed and burnouts happen on your regular roads at any time of day.

I guess its just a starting ground, but yeah, it's not very enforceable is it? And it does little in the way of preventing that sorta stuff.

I just realised how stupid that law is, lol. >___<
Dante
BT

PostPosted: Wed Aug 23, 2006 8:19 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote
Sauce wrote:
With all the Kebab-spec WRXs dumped on 20s to within millimeters of the ground, riced out bright pink lancers....

20s on wrx make me sad. Crying or Very sad

on another note, i saw a learner driver with who looked to be his grandad in a series 3 rx7. lucky bastard! Very Happy

El_Haroldo wrote:

totally agree, but i will admit that there are people who exist (abit rare though mind you) that drive these cars and don't do what El_Haroldo mentioned. and more often then not, they are usually the car for what it was designed for, a LARGE FAMILY CAR!
TEAM Buy Dante Beers!
Tony
浜崎 あゆみ

PostPosted: Wed Aug 23, 2006 10:05 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote
And they just suck up the petrol too, I still don't get why people insist on Commodores/Falcons/Other family cars when they use so much petrol. Plus people want the older models which are not fuel efficient at all, made when petrol was 70c a litre, they're just a money hazard. And they aren't much cheaper to insure too than a new car or smaller car.

WHY WHY >_<

My mate has a VN, he uses easily $50+ petrol a week. My car runs on $25-$30 a week.
Mr Waffle
TEH WAFFLES!!11!

PostPosted: Wed Aug 23, 2006 10:10 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote
Dante wrote:
but what about honda's and vtec?

Everybody uses variable valve timing. VVT(l)-i, MIVEC, (i-)VTEC, whatever you call it, it's the same thing. You'd have to ban nearly every car on the road made in the last 10 years.
El_Haroldo
Banned

PostPosted: Wed Aug 23, 2006 11:40 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote
Tony wrote:
And they just suck up the petrol too, I still don't get why people insist on Commodores/Falcons/Other family cars when they use so much petrol. Plus people want the older models which are not fuel efficient at all, made when petrol was 70c a litre, they're just a money hazard. And they aren't much cheaper to insure too than a new car or smaller car.

WHY WHY >_<

My mate has a VN, he uses easily $50+ petrol a week. My car runs on $25-$30 a week.

Because you too can be a hero like Skaify, a 6 litre SS is really no different from a V8 supercar. Honestly. Chuck us a VB would you?

As a bogun mate of mine says "if you don't drive a Holden, you're unaustralian. What the I'M TOO DUMB TO FIND OTHER WORDS TO USE SO I USE THE F WORD is a GM?"
Tony
浜崎 あゆみ

PostPosted: Thu Aug 24, 2006 8:18 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote
I like Holden cars, but yeah, when I have a family, and more money.
DarrylH
Washu Hakubi

PostPosted: Thu Aug 24, 2006 11:43 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote
You can thank all the 18 year old driver who have wrapped their car aound a tree and killed the other four passengers (2 x 17 yr old and 1 16 yr old) on the Road between Pallaranda and Belgian Gardens earlier this year or late last year. That was when it was really noticed.

Also, another contributing factor has the vehicles that have been kicking the gas down Charters Towers Road and on Residential Streets. The amount of skid marks that are left on the street after a Friday/Saturday night. The choice of a loud exhaust doesn't help much either.

Another contributing factor has been the number of "hooning" offences by young drivers combined with the traffic accidents that have occurred.

And this is only in and around Townsville, Nth Qld.

- Errol Flynn
Dante
BT

PostPosted: Fri Aug 25, 2006 11:54 am    Post subject: Reply with quote
DarrylH wrote:
You can thank all the 18 year old driver who have wrapped their car aound a tree and killed the other four passengers (2 x 17 yr old and 1 16 yr old) on the Road between Pallaranda and Belgian Gardens earlier this year or late last year. That was when it was really noticed.

that was a very unfortunate accident and unnecessary lost of life that sent many ripples through the community. while obviously speed was a factor in the accident, i think also that the absolute shithouse condition of the road at the time did nothing to help. and also unlucky that the car hit the only tree on the side of the road for about a 200m stretch. only now,nearly a full year after, are they starting to repair and resurface the road. way too late guys, way to late. it was also speculated that another car was involved but i think was never proven.

DarrylH wrote:
Another contributing factor has been the number of "hooning" offences by young drivers combined with the traffic accidents that have occurred.

not all "hoons" are young. there are quite a few older "hoons" that i have noticed. and not all traffic accidents are caused by young people too.
TEAM Buy Dante Beers!
ssj_zorella
Rei Ayanami

PostPosted: Thu Sep 14, 2006 9:00 am    Post subject: Reply with quote
"- high-powered vehicle restrictions for provisional drivers under 25."

So I don't count being 21 and on opens? Doesn't seem fair.

I was at Surfers and watching a cruise go by "skyline, rustbucket commonwhore, skyline, skyline, charade, skyline, skyline, old rexy, skyline, skyline repeat."
Tony
浜崎 あゆみ

PostPosted: Thu Sep 14, 2006 3:01 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote
Get it powered down so you can get one? Razz
Dante
BT

PostPosted: Fri Sep 15, 2006 9:46 am    Post subject: Reply with quote
another horror smash in north queensland Sad . think i might hide my car and start walking everywhere because wrx's will start copping flack again
TEAM Buy Dante Beers!

Page 1 of 1

Jump to: