Usergroups  ·  Register ·    Profile  ·  Log in to check your private messages  ·   Log in     

Godzilla: Final Wars - out 29/03/06

Godzilla: Final Wars - out 29/03/06
Author
TEH WAFFLES!!11!

PostPosted: Thu Jan 19, 2006 12:51 pm    Post subject: Godzilla: Final Wars - out 29/03/06 Reply with quote
Synopsis
London, Paris, New York, Sydney, Shanghai... More than 10 monsters suddenly appear attacking cities all over the globe. The earth defences are not enough to repel the attacks and it seems that all hope is lost. A mysterious spaceship appears and extinguishes the monsters with a laser beam. Aliens propose a peace treaty with the Earth, but can they be trusted? The Earth's forces may have to awaken the ancent power of the greatest monster of all - GODZILLA!

Director Ryuei Kitamura (VERSUS, AZUMI) brings us the last in the Godzilla series to commemorate the 50th year of Godzilla films. A non stop action smash with all of you favorite monsters, actors, comedy and stunning visual effects that make GODZILLA FINAL WARS a triumph in giant monster movie cinema!

DVD Special Features
Behind the scenes footage
Complete Godzilla filmography
'Meet the Monsters' information gallery
Production sketches
Original Japanese poster gallery
FINAL WARS trailers

Quotes
"If this truly is his last outing, at least hes going out with a massive bang."- FILM THREAT
"This is easily the best Godzilla movie since "Giant Monster All Out Attack!", and arguably better than that one..." - efilmcritic

Release Date: 29/03/2006

Languages: Japanese
Genre: Godzilla/Kaiju
Director: Ryuhei Kitamura
Subtitles: English subtitles
Runtime: 120.0 mins
Format: DVD, Region 4

Catalogue: EYE283

Choos
Washu Hakubi

PostPosted: Tue Jan 24, 2006 10:49 am    Post subject: Reply with quote
Can't wait!
Chris
Madman Staff

PostPosted: Tue Jan 24, 2006 12:58 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote
The extra features on this one are pretty interactive. The "Behind the Scenes" footage is accessible from the feature like an "Open The Eye" function ie. watch a scene from the film and then activate the "behind scenes" footage for that scene (all footage is subtitled).

The "Meet The Monsters" gallery contains an extra function... When you're on the information screen for a particular monster, you can select "Play Battle Sequences" for that monster and it'll play all their fights and appearances from the film in one reel.
Choos
Washu Hakubi

PostPosted: Tue Jan 24, 2006 1:23 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote
That sounds amazing!

I loved seeing this on the big screen, the whole "didn't expect much from the tuna eater" line had me in stiches, I really must get this ASAP and make all my roleplaying buddies sit through it.
Mr Waffle
TEH WAFFLES!!11!

PostPosted: Tue Jan 24, 2006 2:04 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote
That behind the scenes thing sounds pretty win. I've been itching to see this for a while now...
Mr Waffle
TEH WAFFLES!!11!

PostPosted: Tue Feb 28, 2006 9:01 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote
EvaUnit02NZ wrote:
Could you please tell us whether the transfer of Godzilla Final Wars will be NTSC-to-PAL or native PAL? Thanks. I'd like to support to local market as much as possible (smaller labels like Madman), but releasing inferior (stuff with NTSC-to-PAL transfers) products will make me look to importing from overseas.
Greoboruri
Nene Romanova

PostPosted: Wed Mar 01, 2006 6:37 am    Post subject: Reply with quote
EvaUnit02NZ wrote:
Could you please tell us whether the transfer of Godzilla Final Wars will be NTSC-to-PAL or native PAL? Thanks. I'd like to support to local market as much as possible (smaller labels like Madman), but releasing inferior (stuff with NTSC-to-PAL transfers) products will make me look to importing from overseas.
Sony's R1 disc isn't much chop in the video department anyway; http://www.tohokingdom.com/web_pages/dvd/gfw_sony.htm , so I wouldn't waste my money on it. If Final Wars is as good as the Showa releases I've seen so far, the video should be stellar.
Chris
Madman Staff

PostPosted: Wed Mar 01, 2006 8:30 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote
EvaUnit02NZ wrote:

Yeah it's film-PAL (native, progressive PAL). Same with all the other Showas.
EvaUnit02NZ
Hajime Saitou

PostPosted: Fri Mar 03, 2006 7:12 am    Post subject: Reply with quote
Chris wrote:
EvaUnit02NZ wrote:

Yeah it's film-PAL (native, progressive PAL). Same with all the other Showas.
Nice one, Madman gets my bucks then.
Melbourne Mew Mew
Shinobu Nagumo

PostPosted: Mon Mar 06, 2006 7:45 am    Post subject: Reply with quote
Choos wrote:
That sounds amazing!

I loved seeing this on the big screen, the whole "didn't expect much from the tuna eater" line had me in stiches, I really must get this ASAP and make all my roleplaying buddies sit through it.

Yeah, GINO* getting its arse kicked, and the Sydney Opera House getting destroyed in the process, was definitely the best bit of the movie.

* GINO: Godzilla In Name Only - the American version of the Big G.
TheGreatNinjaFanBoy
Nene Romanova

PostPosted: Sat Apr 01, 2006 4:12 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote
I saw the trailer for this one just recently, and I wasn't interested in picking up the Godzilla DVDs just yet, but this one I have to get. It looks so awesome!
Sean
Doraemon

PostPosted: Mon Apr 03, 2006 11:25 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote
Bought this late last week and watched it yesterday for the first time. Gotta say I enjoyed it thoroughly. It doesn't skimp on the monster action and the main storyline is a fun hybrid of X-Men and The Matrix. The bad guy is great fun. Loved the brief battle scene in Sydney too.

If you haven't bought this yet, get on yer bike and pick up a copy. Madman have done a great job with this DVD and it's a must-have for every Godzilla fan.
Choos
Washu Hakubi

PostPosted: Mon Apr 10, 2006 5:24 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote
Wow my wonderful girlfriend had this delivered early in the morning for me and it came with an Eastern Eye t-shirt!

I love it the DVD is mastered as fantastically as the movie is made!
MireGojira
Doraemon

PostPosted: Sun Apr 16, 2006 9:49 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote
I would like to make a comment regarding the Godzilla Final Wars DVD -- Even though the video and sound quality are perfect, I had recently notice that the pace of the movie frame is a little faster.

I had prevousliy compared the DVD frame movement with clips of the same movie, that has the original frame movement, proving that the DVD frame is a few seconds faster than the normal.

Is there a reason why the speed was slightly increased.

I appreciate your comments.
Choos
Washu Hakubi

PostPosted: Mon Apr 17, 2006 9:47 am    Post subject: Reply with quote
Is it because it has been converted to PAL?
MireGojira
Doraemon

PostPosted: Mon Apr 17, 2006 1:05 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote
Choos wrote:
Is it because it has been converted to PAL?

I don't think that is the case. Other DVDs like Godzilla 2000, Godzilla Vs Megaguirus etc turned out fine.

Try compairing the clips on IGN.com that have the original frame movement with the same bits on the DVD and you'll see that the DVD movie frame is a few seconds faster.

Heres the link...
http://media.dvd.ign.com/media/782/782317/vids_1.html
Sean
Doraemon

PostPosted: Mon Apr 17, 2006 4:18 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote
But aren't all PAL transfers slightly faster than NTSC transfers anyway? Or do you mean that this is even faster than usual. I have a pretty good eye and ear for this sort of thing and noticed nothing strange.
MireGojira
Doraemon

PostPosted: Mon Apr 17, 2006 5:17 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote
Sean wrote:
But aren't all PAL transfers slightly faster than NTSC transfers anyway? Or do you mean that this is even faster than usual. I have a pretty good eye and ear for this sort of thing and noticed nothing strange.

The other DVDs I stated previously has the regular pace. I just saying that the GFW movie pace seems a little faster than normal. I seen the movie three times at the theater and have the soundtrack.

If you try the 'Meet the Monsters' information gallery and view the scenes, that is the original frame movement.
micpp
Doraemon

PostPosted: Tue Apr 18, 2006 2:57 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote
IIRC Godzilla 2000 etc were NTSC-PAL conversions, but Final Wars is a film-PAL transfer, and therefore would run slightly faster.
Sean
Doraemon

PostPosted: Tue Apr 18, 2006 9:59 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote
Quote:
and therefore would run slightly faster.

That's what I thought. To my eye, there's definitely no excessive speed up.
Chris
Madman Staff

PostPosted: Mon Apr 24, 2006 12:29 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote
MireGojira wrote:
Sean wrote:

The other DVDs I stated previously has the regular pace. I just saying that the GFW movie pace seems a little faster than normal. I seen the movie three times at the theater and have the soundtrack.

If you try the 'Meet the Monsters' information gallery and view the scenes, that is the original frame movement.

Hi MireGojira. Godzilla Final Wars has only been sped up by 4% for a progressive PAL transfer. Because of the progressive PAL speed-up, the transfer will be 4% faster than the 24fps version shown in theatres. There hasn't been any other change in speed applied to it.

The battle sequences featured in the "Meet the Monsters" Gallery extra have been converted from NTSC masters, so are consequently a slower speed as you noticed.
Sean
Doraemon

PostPosted: Mon Apr 24, 2006 9:54 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote
It's pretty obvious that the Meet The Monsters clips aren't from transfer used on the DVD as the quality is noticeably poorer. I remember when I first bought the disc and jumped straight to the Zilla footage in that section and thought "Damn, I hope the film doesn't actually look like this!" but was pleasantly surprised when I found the main feature looked a lot better.
POLLARD7545
Doraemon

PostPosted: Fri Jun 30, 2006 3:09 am    Post subject: Final Wars Reply with quote
I have to disagree on Godzilla Final Wars. This movie left a lot to be desired as far as a Godzilla film was concerned. I liked the fights between the monsters, but outside of that, the human acting left a lot to be desired! The other Showa films had better Human acting than that and had a more serious tone as well. This one..............eh!
Greoboruri
Nene Romanova

PostPosted: Fri Jun 30, 2006 7:23 am    Post subject: Re: Final Wars Reply with quote
POLLARD7545 wrote:
I have to disagree on Godzilla Final Wars. This movie left a lot to be desired as far as a Godzilla film was concerned.

Wow, I thought I was the only one who really didn't like this film. Yeah, there wasn't much plot to speak of, most of which was rather confusing and made little sense. And the majority of the film was just fight after fight after fight. Most of monsters used in the film were forgetable ones from the worst films in the Showa series. Gigan and Ebirah? Geez, Toho. Any of the Millennium films beat this mess hands down.
matthewgodzillafan
Doraemon

PostPosted: Wed Oct 04, 2006 10:45 am    Post subject: Reply with quote
Godzilla Final Wars is 2nd in my Fav 5 Godzilla movies. Very Happy
Max
Doraemon

PostPosted: Wed Oct 04, 2006 5:16 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote
matthewgodzillafan wrote:
Godzilla Final Wars is 2nd in my Fav 5 Godzilla movies. Very Happy

What's you #1 fav?
Mine's Godzilla, Mothra and King Ghidorah : Giant Monster all-out attack.
matthewgodzillafan
Doraemon

PostPosted: Thu Oct 05, 2006 11:26 am    Post subject: Reply with quote
My 1st fav is Godzilla vs Biollante it was my first godzilla and one of the best of the VS series. Very Happy

Page 1 of 1

Jump to: