Usergroups  ·  Register ·    Profile  ·  Log in to check your private messages  ·   Log in     

Uncut version

Uncut version
Author
Hajime Saitou

PostPosted: Fri Aug 25, 2006 6:17 pm    Post subject: Uncut version Reply with quote
Is the one piece on cartoon network uncut? I dont have cartoon network but my friend said it was... i found it hard to believe but it might...?
epyon_zero
Lin Minmay

PostPosted: Fri Aug 25, 2006 6:55 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote
No, its the crapy 4kids edited version, and it looks like the uncut version won't come to dvd at all.
CG
Yukino Miyazawa

PostPosted: Sat Aug 26, 2006 3:52 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote
epyon_zero wrote:
No, its the crapy 4kids edited version, and it looks like the uncut version won't come to dvd at all.

Oh, it will - just when they finish releasing the cut version, so about 20+ years or so we'll finally have uncut vol1
epyon_zero
Lin Minmay

PostPosted: Sat Aug 26, 2006 9:15 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote
http://killthemongoose.satamsonic.com/onepiece/ go to the lies section for an interview with Al Kahn aka the enime of anime fans and laf (its almost as funny as his "kids dont read" comment).
SPIDERCARNAGE
Lin Minmay

PostPosted: Sun Sep 17, 2006 12:15 am    Post subject: Reply with quote
The thing that always buffers me why cut a show so much to get it down to a G rating when itís original intent was never for kids but rather for teenagers and your adults, I mean I get the whole marketing and thatís itís all about money in the long run but donít you think that you would probably make more money if you released it un-edited versions and targeted it for the teen audience which have more money then the kids that really on their parents to buy them toyís DVDís and other stuff like that. I donít know I guess I mustnít be much of a marketing guy but to me it just makes more sense, as anime is not a kidís only thing heck we are not still in the early 90ís with bumpy boo and bob in the bottle dam it EVA and other great classics have made their mark on the western world and has shows that animation is not just for kids entertainment but also for adults. Sorry if I went off topic but I was just hoping that we wouldnít be going through the whore 50 different versions of OP before we get the original Japanese un-cut like we did with DBZ. I am a huge OP fan of both the manga and the anime and I donít want another DBZ but sadly it looks like itís going to go that way
epyon_zero
Lin Minmay

PostPosted: Sun Sep 17, 2006 9:32 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote
4kids have already said they will never release the uncut version, so i guess that means madman can't get it either (unless they just release it subtitles only)
SPIDERCARNAGE
Lin Minmay

PostPosted: Thu Sep 21, 2006 8:00 am    Post subject: Reply with quote
I wouldnít have a problem with that as the English voices are horrible, every time I here Usopp voice I want to go and hurt a box of kittens.
Blue Hiker
Washu Hakubi

PostPosted: Thu Sep 28, 2006 10:37 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote
One Piece is kinda heavily edited, but I think that's the least of its problems as far as the dub is concerned. I haven't seen the original show (yet), but I can't say I'm a huge fan of the dub, and it's not because of a lack of blood. It's just because it sucks in general. Razz
Nargun
Siegfried Kircheis

PostPosted: Thu Sep 28, 2006 11:17 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote
SPIDERCARNAGE wrote:
The thing that always buffers me why cut a show so much to get it down to a G rating when itís original intent was never for kids but rather for teenagers and your adults,

Runs in Shounen Jump. Bollocks it's not for kids.
TheHeadSage
Sylia Stingray

PostPosted: Sat Sep 30, 2006 10:39 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote
Blue Hiker wrote:
One Piece is kinda heavily edited, but I think that's the least of its problems as far as the dub is concerned. I haven't seen the original show (yet), but I can't say I'm a huge fan of the dub, and it's not because of a lack of blood. It's just because it sucks in general. Razz

Please, do yourself a favor and watch the origional. Then you'll want to set 4kids on fire as much as the rest of us. Some of the edits made just make no sense what so ever.

I hope to get the uncut version on DVD sometime before I die. Otherwise I'll probably just remaster the fansubs, whack them on a DVD with a nice menu and I'll make millions off the bootleg market. Very Happy
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website MSN Messenger
SPIDERCARNAGE
Lin Minmay

PostPosted: Sun Oct 01, 2006 9:57 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote
TheHeadSage wrote:
[..]

Please, do yourself a favor and watch the origional. Then you'll want to set 4kids on fire as much as the rest of us. Some of the edits made just make no sense what so ever.

I hope to get the uncut version on DVD sometime before I die. Otherwise I'll probably just remaster the fansubs, whack them on a DVD with a nice menu and I'll make millions off the bootleg market. Very Happy

Sounds like a plan, i want in on that action,

Getting serious i really want the uncut on DVD as it's one of my favorite fighting series and it dose not deserve what has been done to it.
Kimiko
Doraemon

PostPosted: Mon Oct 02, 2006 8:39 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote
Nargun wrote:
[..]
Runs in Shounen Jump. Bollocks it's not for kids.

I always thought it was an all-ages manga, whereas 4Kids tried to pidgeon-hole it and aim it at a very young demographic (6-12).

But a lot of the edits just stem from the differences in what is acceptable to show in Japan and America.
TheHeadSage
Sylia Stingray

PostPosted: Wed Oct 04, 2006 10:55 am    Post subject: Reply with quote
Kimiko wrote:
[..]

I always thought it was an all-ages manga, whereas 4Kids tried to pidgeon-hole it and aim it at a very young demographic (6-12).

But a lot of the edits just stem from the differences in what is acceptable to show in Japan and America.

Cutting out entire arcs (while they may be filler, they were the perfect kiddy filler 4kids was looking for) does not stem from the differences between Amierca and Japan.

Removing the more moving scenes does not stem from the differences between Amierca and Japan.

The list goes on and on....

Oh, and I'll never forgive them for what they did to Smoker.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website MSN Messenger
Kimiko
Doraemon

PostPosted: Wed Oct 04, 2006 7:09 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote
Rational edits would stem from acceptability differences (Like, I can deal with the smoking/blood/alcohol edits)

But 4Kids is retarded and lame. And Al Kahn is like "OHYEAH, we totally have to change the music and any cultural references to make it more friendly and acceptable."

What I always say to people is, "If you don't mind horrible voice acting, the butchering of the characters and storyline and any sense of heartfelt meaning, then the dub isn't too bad"

Such a wasted, wasted opportunity Sad
Blue Hiker
Washu Hakubi

PostPosted: Wed Oct 11, 2006 7:20 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote
Kimiko wrote:
Rational edits would stem from acceptability differences (Like, I can deal with the smoking/blood/alcohol edits)

But 4Kids is retarded and lame. And Al Kahn is like "OHYEAH, we totally have to change the music and any cultural references to make it more friendly and acceptable."

Exactly.

It kinda sucks when they water down a show by taking out all the naughty stuff, but at the end of the day they can put in all the blood, booze and chain smoking they want and the dub of One Piece would still suck.

There's plenty of examples of dubs that can be edited, sometimes even heavily so, and still be a good show overall. One Piece just isn't one of them.

Page 1 of 1

Jump to: