Usergroups  ·  Register ·    Profile  ·  Log in to check your private messages  ·   Log in     

air tv

air tv
Author
Doraemon

PostPosted: Mon Nov 06, 2006 12:33 am    Post subject: air tv Reply with quote
i'd like to suggest air tv and the air movie if u like a love story it's very touching and stuff Embarassed
evil_kenshin
Motoko Kusanagi

PostPosted: Mon Nov 06, 2006 1:03 am    Post subject: Reply with quote
Aye, i second this motion after watching the series, its a defiante buy on my list

though i didn't think the 13th episode was really needed (the last episode is just a flashback episode as such)

To be honest i think this is a unique anime in terms of its story (never seen one like it in another)
HeDanny
Grumpy Old Man

PostPosted: Mon Nov 06, 2006 5:01 am    Post subject: Reply with quote
I could not make any cohesive sense out of this show. In fact, everything that I dislike about Anime storytelling was present. It was impossible to form any attachment to the characters as there was no consistancy in any aspect of their presentation.

It was quite pretty to look at.. and I still find myself saying "g-oah!" months (years now actually I think..) after seeing the show, but ultimately the entire experience left me unsatisfied and actually quite irritated at such a wasted opportunity.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website Yahoo Messenger
Elric of Grans
Spaurh Aron Sekpadao Letopanyu Peneju

PostPosted: Mon Nov 06, 2006 6:27 am    Post subject: Reply with quote
Gao~ is inferiour to Ugu~, Auu~ and, yes, even desu-desu (though, Fate is superior to Suiseiseki, no matter what anyone tries to tell you)!

I had high hopes for AIR, being based on a game by Key and being animated by Kyoto Animation, and it started off alright. Unfortunately, it never really achieved greatness, and was rather boring for around the last month. You would be much, much better off getting Kanon --- either the original Toei one or the remake Kyoto Animation is currently working on. Infinitely superior in every way, yet still the same style. The end of the original series was one of the most touching moments I have ever seen, and I expect its impact will be even greater when Kyoto Animation get up to it.

That said, AIR was quite popular at the time, so you may enjoy it, but there are better bishoujo games out there.
StorminNorman
Gillard-chan

PostPosted: Mon Nov 06, 2006 10:16 am    Post subject: Reply with quote
I'd avoid the original Kanon series, other than for the amusement factor of picking each scene where the game would have diverted into hentai.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website MSN Messenger
Darcy
Koishi Herikawa

PostPosted: Mon Nov 06, 2006 12:53 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote
AIR was pretty.....thats all i got from it, that and GAO.
Original Kanon....well......i might watch teh remake
Tony
浜崎 あゆみ

PostPosted: Mon Nov 06, 2006 4:50 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote
Air looked good, and that's about it. I found the story pretty boring. But the animation is so nice.
HeDanny
Grumpy Old Man

PostPosted: Mon Nov 06, 2006 4:51 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote
Elric of Grans wrote:
Gao~ is inferiour to Ugu~, Auu~ and, yes, even desu-desu (though, Fate is superior to Suiseiseki, no matter what anyone tries to tell you)!

I must be a bit out of the loop. I strongly agree that Gao~ is inferior to Ugu~.. but I am not sure I even recognize the others.

I think you and i have discussed Kanon before?
Either way, pls recommend other "bishujo" titles kthxbi Smile

Oh.. I would like to add that I tried watching the AIR Movie recently. About a month or so back. I actually fell asleep. True story. I may go back and try it again at some stage, but I am in no rush to do so.

I am much more interested in marathoning Mushishi Very Happy
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website Yahoo Messenger
Nargun
Siegfried Kircheis

PostPosted: Mon Nov 06, 2006 6:01 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote
Air is... lacking. It could have been OK, it's got some interesting concepts, but the tediously linear collect-the-next-plot-point storytelling make it rather lame. One crisis at a time, girls; you're going to have to wait your turn!

The new version of Kanon is a vast improvement on the old version of Kanon, as SN suggests. Beyond that, I really can't say, as I don't watch these sorts of shows, usually.
Elric of Grans

PostPosted: Mon Nov 06, 2006 8:54 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote
HeDanny wrote:
I must be a bit out of the loop. I strongly agree that Gao~ is inferior to Ugu~.. but I am not sure I even recognize the others.

Auu~ is Makoto (also from Kanon); desu-desu typically refers to Suiseiseki (Rozen Maiden). The desu-desu vs Fate reference relates to a poll that has been going on recently for the most moe character in anime: the finalists are Suiseiseki and Testarossa Fate (Mahou Shoujo Lyrical Nanoha).

HeDanny wrote:
I think you and i have discussed Kanon before?

To be perfectly frank, most of them stink. Worse than a GAINAX/SHAFT collaboration! Galaxy Angel is good, though the anime has practially nothing to do with the games. Skip Da Crappo (D.C. Da Capo) and Sister Princest (Sister Princess) even if you have nothing else (though, Sister Princess ~RePure~ has a really catchy OP! Horrid series, but great OP). Pia Carrot is a stinker too. None of the recent ones (except the Kanon remake) are worth pursuing either. To Heart has long been a fan-favourite, though that probably has a lot of bias towards it. I enjoyed Mahou Shoujo Lyrical Nanoha (moreso the second series than the first), which is a spin-off from the Triangle Hearts series, but the character designs are very off-putting for most people (I just love the battles, which are the best choreography I have ever seen in a mahou shoujo). Sakura Taisen has a large following, but personally I felt it was a good concept that fell flat.

EDIT:
Just remembered a couple more notable ones. Shingetsutan Tsukihime (based on Tsukihime) was absolutely apaling, but Fate/stay night was decent --- it could have been better, but it was not a complete waste of time at least.
DesertEagle
Shinobu Nagumo

PostPosted: Thu Nov 09, 2006 7:45 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote
yea i liked this series i also would say to others watch it, if its your kind of thing
StorminNorman
Gillard-chan

PostPosted: Thu Nov 09, 2006 9:32 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote
HeDanny wrote:

If you're talking about titles based on "bishoujo" games, then I can think of a couple that are worth it.

The Type-Moon stuff, Shingetsutan Tsukihime and Fate/Stay Night are both excellent series, and well worth seeing.

Ai Yori Aoshi isn't based on a game (though there is a game based on it), but it mostly follows the rules and is a fantastic series. There's two seasons, too, the second a little bit less good than the first, but no less worth watching.

I thought Kimi Ga Nozomu Eien was drudge, but some people seem to like it, so more power to them if they can draw pleasure from something so inane. Yumeria was nice enough, but unlikely to ever get a release outside of Japan.

Then there's the mother of all anime like this: Tenchi Muyo.

EDIT: With regards to Sakura Wars, the reason it tends to fall flat as an anime is that you must play all the games to make sense of it.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website MSN Messenger
Tony
浜崎 あゆみ

PostPosted: Thu Nov 09, 2006 10:20 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote
Something very similar to Air was Zettai Shonen - and the storyline was so, so much better. If you want an Air-ish type anime, check ZS out.
Trunk's Girl
Madboard Mod

PostPosted: Fri Nov 10, 2006 6:50 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote
One of the most well-done and interesting game/"visual novel"->anime conversions is undoubtedly Higurashi no Naku Goro Ni. It blows everything else out of the water because of its unique aproach, where every arc (each around 4-6 eps long) is like stepping through a different path in a game. That, and the fact that it started off primarily as a doujin based franchise makes it all the more impressive. I fell in love with the OP by Shimamiya Eiko (of I've Sound) from the first time I heard it, and was even fortunate enough to see Katakiri Rekka (of the doujin music circle group Voltage of Imagination) perform the ED theme live at the Tokyo Anime Fair earlier this year. ^^

Also, don't be fooled by the cute, loli-type characters; the way the story is executed is very clever and the show itself is actually quite violent, dark and chilling.

Good information found at the wikipedia page: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Higurashi_no_Naku_Koro_ni
Elric of Grans

PostPosted: Fri Nov 10, 2006 7:34 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote
Trunk's Girl wrote:
It blows everything else out of the water because of its unique aproach, where every arc (each around 4-6 eps long) is like stepping through a different path in a game.

Actually, each arc is a completely different game. The games are a series where each tale was released months (years? I forget) appart.
Nargun
Siegfried Kircheis

PostPosted: Fri Nov 10, 2006 7:50 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote
Ah, I forgot:

The Tale of Geni, and all its derivatives. Yes, really; so what that it was written a thousand years ago, and by a woman? Hits every one of the bishoujo cliches.
CG
Yukino Miyazawa

PostPosted: Fri Nov 10, 2006 8:23 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote
StorminNorman wrote:
Yumeria was nice enough, but unlikely to ever get a release outside of Japan.

ADV have it and are releasing it - unless we are talking about a different series?
StorminNorman
Gillard-chan

PostPosted: Fri Nov 10, 2006 8:24 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote
We're not, but I'm pretty surprised that it's been licensed at all.

Then again, ADV will license pretty much anything.
CG
Yukino Miyazawa

PostPosted: Fri Nov 10, 2006 8:33 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote
StorminNorman wrote:
We're not, but I'm pretty surprised that it's been licensed at all.

Then again, ADV will license pretty much anything.

One of the NewType issues I bought had an ep for it. Was fairly decent.
HeDanny
Grumpy Old Man

PostPosted: Fri Nov 10, 2006 9:00 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote
Galaxy Angel - Ordered the first 3 series in the $10 sale.

Da Cappo - I keep getting this series mixed up with "Wind a Breath of Heart". Something about the weather and the magic powers and the non-aging character etc.. I may get this at some stage, it is on the list.. but a fair way down.

Sister Princess / Sister Princess ~RePure~ - This looks like it could be "so bad its good" and I have been meaning to get it for a while.. It just keeps getting bumped for other shows.

Pia Carrot - Not particularly interested in "Explicit Adult Content" so I will be skipping this one.

To Heart - Loved the first series. follow up series was, well, watchable.

Mahou Shoujo Lyrical Nanoha (+ Triangle Hearts) - lol! Just looked this one up and it looks like my kind of guilty pleasure series! Added quite high on my "go Get" list. Smile

Shingetsutan Tsukihime - Ordered from the $10 sale.

Fate/Stay Night - Jumped the shark with Archer v Berserker. That ep was brilliant. It was all downhill from there.

Ai Yori Aoshi - Loved this series. Made the 'mistake' of watching this recently after seeing Love Hina, and for the first few eps I was rather turned off by the similarities. After that it was clear as crystal that this was a far superior series.

Kimi Ga Nozomu Eien - Found this far too long for what it was. Should have taken the same budget and made a 6 ep OVA instead. It would have made the show much better.

Yumeria - Definately on my "to Get" list. art looks nice and the story sound appropriately interesting.

Tenchi Muyo - This series is far too large and diverse for me to be interested in seeing it any time soon.

Sakura Wars - See above..

Zettai Shonen - If the first two episodes are any indication, this series is going to be wonderful. I will watch the rest of this in a marathon as soon as I have all the eps.

Higurashi no Naku Goro Ni - Never even heard of this title until it was mentioned here. Looks like it is fairly recent? I will check back on this one once I can get all the eps.

Tale of Genji - There was an Anime of this?

Keep em coming people! Smile
Nargun
Siegfried Kircheis

PostPosted: Fri Nov 10, 2006 9:19 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote
HeDanny wrote:

I read the Arthur Waley novel translation; I'm told that it's not terribly accurate, which I could believe.

There's a manga [http://www.animenewsnetwork.com/encyclopedia/manga.php?id=3891], but it's apparently only availible in jp or the bilinguals, which may be oop. I could have sworn that it was animated at one point, but apparently not.

And if you don't believe me on the harem/bishoujo stuff, from the manga description:
Quote:
The first part of the story (from volumes 1 to 10) follows the happy but sorrowful tales of the glorious youth Hikaru Genji's love. It is also about the women in his life who strive to make their love towards Genji significantly different from others.

Seriously? This is the first and ancestral bishoujo/harem anime, even though it wasn't animated. It's also a damn fine book, one of my favourites.
DesertEagle
Shinobu Nagumo

PostPosted: Fri Nov 10, 2006 10:10 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote
off topic but i must get shakugan no shana and fate/stay night

o.O adv has lisenced air wow i really got to start searching www.ann.com again
Elric of Grans

PostPosted: Sat Nov 11, 2006 7:07 am    Post subject: Reply with quote
HeDanny wrote:
Tenchi Muyo - This series is far too large and diverse for me to be interested in seeing it any time soon.

There are a lot of titles, but they are all parallel universe styles. The one Madman has (20 episodes) is easily the superior version (it was the original too) so, if you ever get interested, you should start with it.
Darth Tallis
Van Fanel

PostPosted: Sat Nov 11, 2006 7:14 am    Post subject: Reply with quote
Elric of Grans wrote:
[..]

There are a lot of titles, but they are all parallel universe styles. The one Madman has (20 episodes) is easily the superior version (it was the original too) so, if you ever get interested, you should start with it.

Agreed! I've got the first two volumes of the recent series and have watched it repeatedly the last couple of weeks. It really is a great follow up to the first two series and answers a lot of the questions brought up, while keeping some mysteries up for interpretation. Although, they could have expanded on what it is that happened to Mihoshi in the past, to make her rellies just that little bit overprotective of her, but I guess it isn't really necessary to know. Just the implication that something did happen to her carries some weight in itself. Besides, given all that gets revealed, it would probably be adding one too many layers to an already thick cake.

To finally see Washu, Tsunami and Tokimi together is a real treat.

Can't wait for Volume 3 and what revelations crop up, since they'll relate back to Tenchi's mother.

As for Air, I quite liked it.
StorminNorman
Gillard-chan

PostPosted: Sat Nov 11, 2006 8:42 am    Post subject: Reply with quote
HeDanny wrote:
Galaxy Angel - Ordered the first 3 series in the $10 sale.

I've decided that Galaxy Angel is the best current anime series.

Quote:
Sister Princess / Sister Princess ~RePure~ - This looks like it could be "so bad its good" and I have been meaning to get it for a while.. It just keeps getting bumped for other shows.

Its not. It's incredibly bland and mediocre, and it would take a very ill mind to draw any pleasure from it.

Quote:
Pia Carrot - Not particularly interested in "Explicit Adult Content" so I will be skipping this one.

There is a non-hentai Pia Carrot series as well.

Quote:
Ai Yori Aoshi - Loved this series. Made the 'mistake' of watching this recently after seeing Love Hina, and for the first few eps I was rather turned off by the similarities. After that it was clear as crystal that this was a far superior series.

Shame on you for confusing AYA with the utter dreadfulness of Love Hina!

Quote:
Yumeria - Definately on my "to Get" list. art looks nice and the story sound appropriately interesting.

I'm not saying this is a bad series-- I enjoyed it-- just that it's been around for a long time before it got a western release that I was surprised to discover it was getting one at all.

The game was an interesting take on the dating sim, too.

Quote:

You only need to see the original two OAV series. Everything outside of that is either bad (Tenchi in Tokyo) or irrelevant (Tenchi Universe).

Quote:
Sakura Wars - See above..

I agree on this though. Having to play a couple of Sega Saturn games and a Dreamcast game just so the movie makes sense is a bit rich...

Quote:

A movie made in the 1980s. its one of the most intensely boring films I've ever seen, and absolutely not worth watching at all.
Elric of Grans

PostPosted: Sat Nov 11, 2006 10:05 am    Post subject: Reply with quote
Darth Tallis wrote:
Although, they could have expanded on what it is that happened to Mihoshi in the past, to make her rellies just that little bit overprotective of her, but I guess it isn't really necessary to know.

The second and third seasons are merely based on Kajiishima's doujinshi. Whilst his doujinshi go into more detail on what happens, and the cover a far broader time period (especially so if you count the novels too), it is unlikely that the anime will ever cover much of the detail. The counterreactor, for example, is never explained in the anime --- it was originally going to be, but they dropped it. It was only after I read the doujinshi that the scene comes from that I understood what the heck was going on. Mihoshi is much the same, though I have not read that one, only heard some key points from someone who has.

The special (on the third DVD) is not bad, but it raises more questions than it answers... but it still marks the end of part 1!!
Trunk's Girl
Madboard Mod

PostPosted: Sat Nov 11, 2006 11:45 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote
HeDanny wrote:

Higurashi no Naku Goro Ni - Never even heard of this title until it was mentioned here. Looks like it is fairly recent? I will check back on this one once I can get all the eps.

Yep, it's a 2006 anime so it's very recent. I highly recommend it. ^^
keitaro84
Doraemon

PostPosted: Sun Nov 12, 2006 1:03 am    Post subject: Reply with quote
I would love to get Air on DVD and hopefully Madman might one day decide to get it. Hopefully they would get the Blu-Ray version as i am curious to see how good the quality would actually be.

Also Air is released by Pony Canyon.
Nargun
Siegfried Kircheis

PostPosted: Sun Nov 12, 2006 4:07 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote
StorminNorman wrote:
A movie made in the 1980s. its one of the most intensely boring films I've ever seen, and absolutely not worth watching at all.

See? Told you it was a dating sim.

Page 1 of 1

Jump to: