Usergroups  ·  Register ·    Profile  ·  Log in to check your private messages  ·   Log in     

Image Albums

Image Albums
Author
Washu Hakubi

PostPosted: Thu Nov 02, 2006 12:52 am    Post subject: Image Albums Reply with quote
I posted this in the General Anime forum, but it didn't seem to get much attention there.

Can someone tell me what an 'image album' is exactly? For example, Samurai 7 has an OST with 19 tracks, and an 'image album' with 8 tracks. What's an image album, and if I was going to buy a Sam7 soundtrack, which would be the most 'definitive' to get?
George
Arumi Asahina

PostPosted: Thu Nov 02, 2006 5:30 am    Post subject: Re: Image Albums Reply with quote
Wikipedia wrote:
An image album is an album containing music inspired by a particular anime or manga series, tokusatsu show, Japanese television drama, video game or book series. An image album, if it is for an upcoming movie, OVA, or TV series, will many times contain early versions of songs which are eventually released on the soundtrack. The songs on an image album are sometimes used by those creating the forthcoming work in order to help set the mood of the work. Hundreds of image albums are released every year in Japan.

Character image albums
For many popular anime series, the seiyū, or voice actors, for the series will sometimes participate in "character albums" where they sing songs "in character".
SethM
Washu Hakubi

PostPosted: Sun Nov 05, 2006 6:47 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote
So does that mean image albums are the equivalent of the western 'Music Inspired By' albums that contain songs by bands that don't necessarily feature in the movie?

I'm a big film score fan, so I understand the difference between an OST and a Music Inspired By in Western terms, just need to know if this is the equivalent in Japanese terms...

Spose it doesn't matter much now, since I won a copy of the Samurai 7 OST on eBay....
Trunk's Girl
Madboard Mod

PostPosted: Wed Nov 08, 2006 6:57 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote
SethM wrote:
So does that mean image albums are the equivalent of the western 'Music Inspired By' albums that contain songs by bands that don't necessarily feature in the movie?

Sort of.

When it comes to anime, OSTs are usually a compilation of the BGM featured in the show, and sometimes also include other vocal pieces (besides the OP and ED) that may have been used in scenes. (You can also have special vocal albums solely dedicated to vocal pieces if there are a significant amount of them - e.g. Angelic Layer, Love Hina, etc.).

The pieces on image albums don't necessarily feature in the show but are somehow related, and they tend to have a "theme" of some sort (usually character-based, the School Rumble ones are a fine example.) Another example are the Marimite image albums, in which there is one for each Rose family (Chinensis, Gigantea, Foetida).

There are also drama CDs, in which scenes from manga/anime are acted out like an audio storybook. (Many manga get this treatment before they are ever made into an anime).

While anime series/movies/OVAs can have OSTs, image CDs, drama CDs, etc. related to it, manga/novels do no have OSTs (for obvious reasons). But they do tend to spawn image albums and drama CDs without ever having an anime equivalent.

That's my take on it anyway. Hope that makes things clearer. ^^
SethM
Washu Hakubi

PostPosted: Thu Nov 09, 2006 5:20 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote
Cool, thanks for that TG, you cleared it up very nicely Wink

Page 1 of 1

Jump to: