Usergroups  ·  Register ·    Profile  ·  Log in to check your private messages  ·   Log in     

Has Terror Of Mechagodzila been released?

Has Terror Of Mechagodzila been released?
Author
Doraemon

PostPosted: Sat Feb 24, 2007 12:21 pm    Post subject: Has Terror Of Mechagodzila been released? Reply with quote
I pre-ordered this from an online retailer and it's still being listed after the release date as 'Distribution delay - Awaiting stock'. Has anyone else been able to find this anywhere?
The Tragic Man
Tomoyo Daidouji

PostPosted: Sun Feb 25, 2007 7:57 am    Post subject: Reply with quote
Some anime titles were also delayed, e.g. Eureka Seven V4. I think there must have been some hiccup in the distribution due to the warehouse relocation and other delays Madman have had. If it had been due to production, I'd have thought Madman would announced a delay to March.
Max
Doraemon

PostPosted: Sun Feb 25, 2007 9:24 am    Post subject: Reply with quote
It's definitely been released; I got my copy the Friday before last.
Greoboruri
Nene Romanova

PostPosted: Mon Feb 26, 2007 6:33 am    Post subject: Reply with quote
I have only one thing to say about this film; fake boobs. Has any other Godzilla film had (fake) nudity in it? I can't remember any. Also was Ishiro Honda on drugs or something in the mid 1970's? What was up with the editing? Seemed really schizophrenic at times. I'd say this would have to be the worst film of his I've seen.
Max
Doraemon

PostPosted: Mon Feb 26, 2007 7:00 am    Post subject: Reply with quote
Greoboruri wrote:
What was up with the editing? Seemed really schizophrenic at times.

I suspect you're referring to the english dubbed cut; it was heavily re-editing to cut out the fake breasts, along with several scenes of violence, including (SPOILERS) Katsura's suicide. AS a result, the editing is extremely bad at times.
James Lee
Doraemon

PostPosted: Mon Feb 26, 2007 9:04 am    Post subject: Reply with quote
The UK English language VHS was uncut. The film, like Godzilla Vs. Megalon, was censored on its US release.

Is the English dub on the DVD?
Greoboruri
Nene Romanova

PostPosted: Mon Feb 26, 2007 11:26 am    Post subject: Reply with quote
Max wrote:
I suspect you're referring to the english dubbed cut
No, the original Japanese version. Had previously seen a cut US dubbed VHS version, and didn't really notice it as much. There was a scene with Ichinose and Katsura in a cafe, and there were several cut-aways to a strange old guy in a car (it looked as if the editor accidently spiced in a scene from another film). The scene made no sense until latter in the film when the audience finally found out who he was. Honda does this a couple of times in the film with a couple of quite minor characters and it drove me batty.
Max
Doraemon

PostPosted: Tue Feb 27, 2007 3:03 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote
Okay, I know what you mean now.

As for the fake breasts, its not the only case of nudity in a Godzilla film; there's a brief shot of a guy's bum in Godzilla vs Spacegodzilla, if you count that.
Sean
Doraemon

PostPosted: Tue Feb 27, 2007 5:27 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote
Max wrote:
It's definitely been released; I got my copy the Friday before last.

Max, where did you get your copy from?
Max
Doraemon

PostPosted: Wed Feb 28, 2007 7:25 am    Post subject: Reply with quote
^ I got my copy from Porters, a DVD outlet in Bairnsdale; they get most of Eastern Eye/Madman's releases.
keith aiken
Doraemon

PostPosted: Fri Mar 16, 2007 1:47 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote
Greoboruri wrote:
I have only one thing to say about this film; fake boobs. Has any other Godzilla film had (fake) nudity in it? I can't remember any.

There are few quick shots of topless fisherwomen on Odo Island in the original GODZILLA and some nude centerfolds in a truck in MEGALON.

Quote:
No, the original Japanese version. Had previously seen a cut US dubbed VHS version, and didn't really notice it as much. There was a scene with Ichinose and Katsura in a cafe, and there were several cut-aways to a strange old guy in a car (it looked as if the editor accidently spiced in a scene from another film). The scene made no sense until latter in the film when the audience finally found out who he was. Honda does this a couple of times in the film with a couple of quite minor characters and it drove me batty.

The old guy was Ikio Sawamura, a character actor who appeared in many of Honda's films and died soon after TOMG was finished. He's first seen cleaning up when Ichinose and Murakoshi visit Mafune's home, then pops up throughout the film to spy on Katsura and report back to Mafune and the aliens.

Regarding the US version of TOMG; there are actually two different edits. The film was released to theaters as a heavily edited version for kids, and shown on TV uncut (except for the "fake boobs" shot) with an added prologue of scenes from other Godzilla films. A few months ago I recorded a feature length audio commentary for an upcoming US DVD that will include both the Japanese version and the longer US version (which will be available on video for the first time).
Greoboruri
Nene Romanova

PostPosted: Sat Mar 17, 2007 12:41 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote
keith aiken wrote:
The old guy was Ikio Sawamura, a character actor who appeared in many of Honda's films and died soon after TOMG was finished. He's first seen cleaning up when Ichinose and Murakoshi visit Mafune's home, then pops up throughout the film to spy on Katsura and report back to Mafune and the aliens.
Ah, that makes much more sense. Might have missed that when I first watched the film.

Honestly can't remeber the topless woman in the 54 Godzilla. Will have a closer look later. The video on Madman's Terror Of Mechagodzila disc ain't great at all, but I'm not going to plonk down another $24 for US disc. Will buy Raids Again and Ghidorah the Three Headed Monster when they finally get released to retail shops.
matthewgodzillafan
Doraemon

PostPosted: Fri Apr 27, 2007 6:50 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote
It took a while to be released at EZYDVD, it took a long time to get there, then it was out of stock talk about it been a problem.

Page 1 of 1

Jump to: