Usergroups  ·  Register ·    Profile  ·  Log in to check your private messages  ·   Log in     

Problem with GMK DVD?

Problem with GMK DVD?
Author
Doraemon

PostPosted: Wed Feb 21, 2007 8:20 am    Post subject: Problem with GMK DVD? Reply with quote
I have purchased quite a few MADMAN DVDs and they have all been great...a vast improvement over the region 1 and often even the original TOHO region 2 DVDs. But I have encountered a problem with the GODZILLA MOTHRA KING GHIDORAH DVD , and I wondered if others have seen it. The movie suffers some blurring and strobbing on faster moving shots and pans. It seems that multiple fields are on every few seconds...causing a noticable strobing and blurring effect. The problem is not on the region 1 DVD, or on the Region 2 version. The MADMAN DVD has correct subtitles, so I really wanted it, but the visual problems are quite annoying. You can see it clearly on many shots, such as the crowd running in the store as Godzilla makes his first appearence. If you single frame advance you can see the double images. It shows up on both my PHILLIPS and PIONEER multi Region players, and the problem is not on any other MADMAN DVDs. Anyone else see this problem...or do I have a defective dvd??
Chris
Madman Staff

PostPosted: Tue Mar 20, 2007 4:15 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote
Hi nicecubes. Sorry for the late reply (in fact this is my first post this year). I'll look into the problem and let you know. Thanks for your patience.
nicecubes
Doraemon

PostPosted: Wed Mar 21, 2007 1:02 am    Post subject: Reply with quote
I asked around and got this response from one source that works extensivly in film transfers and digital restoration

"most likely they did not pre-convert to PAL from NTSC for their Region 4 audience. I imagine it was done for monetary reasons as it was far less expensive than paying for the conversion. Unfortunately, the result is that those viewing the DVD will see all the prevalent flaws that this common transference practice produces - 'ghosting' in motion sequences...blurring ...double fields and such.."

are the other DVDs that were also released on Region 1 NTSC done this way?? I was interested in G vs MEGAGUIRUS and TOKYO SOS...since unlike the region 1 versions they have accurate subtitles rather than dubtitles...but if they suffer the same issue I might as well stick with my region 1 releases
Xilian
Doraemon

PostPosted: Fri Mar 23, 2007 12:11 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote
nicecubes wrote:
I asked around and got this response from one source that works extensivly in film transfers and digital restoration

"most likely they did not pre-convert to PAL from NTSC for their Region 4 audience. I imagine it was done for monetary reasons as it was far less expensive than paying for the conversion. Unfortunately, the result is that those viewing the DVD will see all the prevalent flaws that this common transference practice produces - 'ghosting' in motion sequences...blurring ...double fields and such.."

are the other DVDs that were also released on Region 1 NTSC done this way?? I was interested in G vs MEGAGUIRUS and TOKYO SOS...since unlike the region 1 versions they have accurate subtitles rather than dubtitles...but if they suffer the same issue I might as well stick with my region 1 releases

I believe this only is related to the first few releases and that starting with ASTRO-MONSTER, they began with film-to-PAL transfers that do not show this problem. Also, I believe that the issue is probably not as noticeable to Australians or Europeans because they are probably very used to seeing films converted from NTSC to PAL.
nicecubes
Doraemon

PostPosted: Fri Mar 23, 2007 11:35 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote
Xilian wrote:
[..]

I believe this only is related to the first few releases and that starting with ASTRO-MONSTER, they began with film-to-PAL transfers that do not show this problem. Also, I believe that the issue is probably not as noticeable to Australians or Europeans because they are probably very used to seeing films converted from NTSC to PAL.

That is very likely true...but I would like to know if MEGAGUIRUS and TOKYO SOS are correctly transfered before I buy...the effect of the blurring is enough to force me to watch the region 1 version. all the other oned I bought (the HEISIE SERIES...1991-1995) look gret
Chris
Madman Staff

PostPosted: Wed May 09, 2007 3:15 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote
Wow, Xilian has the answer spot on. From memory, Astro-monster was the first Godzilla title that was progressively transferred and includes every title we did since then. This also means that Megaguirus was a NTSC-PAL transfer as it pre-dated this release..
nicecubes
Doraemon

PostPosted: Thu May 10, 2007 5:22 am    Post subject: Reply with quote
Thanks for the answer...guess I will have to stick with my Region 1 Megaguirus DVD...but all the new releases will be great. SO...how about BIOLLANTE..KING KONG vs GODZILLA...The MOTHRA trilogy and the Gamera trilogy!!!

Page 1 of 1

Jump to: