Usergroups  ·  Register ·    Profile  ·  Log in to check your private messages  ·   Log in     

Initial D Arcade Stage - now Version 4!

Initial D Arcade Stage - now Version 4!
Author
Doraemon

PostPosted: Sun Dec 03, 2006 12:06 pm    Post subject: Initial D Arcade Stage - now Version 4! Reply with quote
Sega Rosso released three initial D Arcade Stage games; ver.1, ver.2 and ver.3.

Submit your best Time Attack records here. My best time was something like 2,47:78 or something on Akina downhill with the Rx-7 (I'm not all too good.
Mr Waffle
TEH WAFFLES!!11!

PostPosted: Mon Dec 04, 2006 11:45 am    Post subject: Reply with quote
Nobody plays or likes Arcade Stage anymore because we've played it to death and are waiting for v4.

And, uh, if you want to list times... you might want to list what version. 2'47 on Akina DH isn't even physically possible in v3, for example.
EternalFlame
Doraemon

PostPosted: Tue Dec 05, 2006 6:40 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote
Sorry if I've made a mistake, as I exagerate too much sometimes Embarassed
Mr Waffle
TEH WAFFLES!!11!

PostPosted: Tue May 01, 2007 2:31 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote
So, I put about 20 bucks into Initial D Arcade Stage 4 on the weekend, in Nakano Plaza.

This is not the game you're used to.

Ok, to start it off, you sit down. You immediately notice the huge flatscreen in front of you (which imo is too close, gave me a headache after an hour), and a shifter down where it is in a real car. More realistic, but harder to tap quickly. You insert 100yen as normal, and the game throws a bunch of Japanese at you. A new card is 300 yen (this time around, you can store up to three cars per card). It asks if you're male or female, and where you're from. Once you pick your car (RX8 wasn't there so I bought an FC and later an 86 Levin), You choose your licence plate registration location and style, and then the main menu appears. Story mode, Time Attack, Internet Battle (all the machines are networked to a central server), or Head-to-Head.

I only played Story Mode, so I'll talk about that. I played Akina Lake, Akagi, Akina, and something else... I think. I didn't recognise it, at any rate. I also watched Iro being played. The tracks, despite being familiar, are very different. A LOT tighter than before; they're actually winding mountain roads now. You feel like if you stuff up you're going to fly off the edge. The graphics are fantastic, too, with beautiful lighting and the whole shebang. The storymode cutscenes are 3D celshaded, with moving characters- not so impressive looking, but eh. Full voice acting, in cutscenes and the game.

Ah, the game. Forget how you played in V1-3; it's nothing like that. This is far more like Battle Gear than Initial D. There is a monumental difference between Grip and Drift, now. You can feel the car's grip much better, and if you push it too hard in a corner you can under/oversteer. Drifting is accomplished with a pump of the gas during the turn, and requires a bit of finesse to perform, because it's quite easy to slam into the inner wall. It's immediately obvious that the best players will be the ones who figure out which corner to grip and which to drift, and what angles to do it at.

My only real gripe thus far is 1st gear; at startup, you can only get to 20kph before the engine hits its rev limit. Huh? That's... a bit low. Unless there's some special technique to it, you need to shift to 2nd and wait forever until you get back into the power band. I'll have to play around with it more...

Tuning your car... I have no real idea. The first time I quit I was offered the tuning screen, where you can tinker with multiple things- you can buy 1 part from either the engine, suspension, chassis, or a couple of other fields. Each field has about 10 parts in it, so it takes quite a while to buy them all (using points ala the old days). I don't know how to make this screen come up, as I quit the game 4 times, and only saw it once. Twice I was offered nothing, and the forth time I was offered a screen with new wheel designs. This is ANNOYING, because the 3D model of the car spins around slowly, but there is a 60 second time limit. You don't have enough time to view all the different wheels before it runs out, because you lose about 15 seconds to the revolving model showing the front and back of the car. Rolling Eyes

Regarding the gender choice earlier, you're given an avatar of your character, both in game and printed on the card. I think you're able to customise their look (the guy next to me had half a million points and his female avatar was quite customised), I suppose the menu for it will come up next.

Finally, you're asked if you want to register your account on the Internet Servers. I did, so I'll have a look at it sometime.

I don't think it's in all arcades yet, so I'm gonna have a walk around Kyoto and Osaka in the next few days to see if I can find it. Otherwise I'll have to wait till the weekend when I'm back in Tokyo to play it again. I might start at Skyline to see if it's Grip-centric and such...

Regardless, the sheer amount of money and complexity involved in this new game (the screens, the units, the connectivity) tells me that it probably won't hit many arcades outside of Japan. I certainly don't expect it in lil' old Canberra Sad
Sauce
Sakura Kinomoto

PostPosted: Wed May 02, 2007 5:39 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote
Do want.

Prepare yourselves for the subjugation!
Slykura
Madman Staff

PostPosted: Wed May 02, 2007 6:09 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote
I had a play of this as well and managed to finish Lake Akina and Myogi stages. It's certainly different and so far I've found that keeping your rev up is extremely important and that you will almost never use top gear.

The new physics adds a certain edge to gameplay too. Iro is once again my favrouite course, playing it gives you a real nice sensation.

The new track that's been added is called Tsukuba. Fairly tight turns and almost reminds me a bit of happo but not as severe. It's also the longest course.

Overall though, its a brand new game and a fresh start. I love it and can't wait to play more.
DXPetti
Washu Hakubi

PostPosted: Fri May 04, 2007 9:42 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote
Can't wait till it hits the consoles (probably PS3). As V4 is ALONG way off from hitting Australian shores.
Jedi_Vader20
Mayuko Chigasaki

PostPosted: Sat May 05, 2007 12:27 am    Post subject: Reply with quote
Thank god the PS3 is region free Very Happy
Forums/IRC Admin, Quartermaster - GUniAC!! - The Griffith University Anime Club
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Yahoo Messenger MSN Messenger ICQ Number
Mr Waffle
TEH WAFFLES!!11!

PostPosted: Thu May 10, 2007 11:43 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I snuck a pic of the unit I played on Sunday. As you can see, the card slot is to the bottom left, the shifter down to the left, and there are 4 directional arrows for controlling the menus (I'm sure you recall the fun using the steering wheel was...). The other buttons are start and view change.

I played 4 more races; Akagi DH, Akina UH, Iro DH and Tsukuba (as Sly calls it). Akagi's v-turn of death is still as cool as ever. I thought I selected DH Akina but obviously I don't know the kanji... Rolling Eyes

Iro was a aggressive go-getter. A real aggressive go-getter. It's MUCH tighter feeling, and the height changes are massive. You can really look down the mountain. Doing the jumps is awesome fun. I got my ass handed to me by the Evo IV though Sad (I overtook him at the jumps but he was able to turn tighter and got on my inside at the end). On the new track, I was beaten by the yellow Civic (not the racing driver, the student)- who had a blue aura at startup, a nice touch. The new track is long and windy. It's similiar to the final one in Special Stage on the PS2. From the looks of the promo material, the major opponents are Godhand and Godfoot.

You can read the car and track list on the Wiki article or the official site. Goodbye RX8 Crying or Very sad

Oh, and the voice acting is fab. I just love the Two Guys from Tokyo. "SUPA RATO BURAKINGUUUUU!!!"
Sauce
Sakura Kinomoto

PostPosted: Fri May 11, 2007 5:57 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote
Awesome. Does Godfoot scream DORIYAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAA!!! ? XD

DXPetti
Washu Hakubi

PostPosted: Mon May 21, 2007 8:07 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote
Why the hell get rid of the MR-S, R34 GT-T and the MX-5 when they are all in the manga Neutral
~shinigami~
Shana

PostPosted: Tue May 29, 2007 9:28 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote
So sad that Australia will never get it. Damn our infrastructure!

In this case, I would be so happy to be proven wrong and eat my own words. Razz
Slykura
Madman Staff

PostPosted: Wed Jul 11, 2007 3:46 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote
Rest of the World version is now out! There have been reports that the machine has been seen in Singapore and even in the US.

As expected, they have taken out Internet play. Only local battle, Legend of the Street and Time Attack are available.

Time Attack area has also been taken out.

3 new cars - SXE10, NA6CE and SE3P

Audio - the character's talking remain in Japanese, but the text has been subtitled into English. (bonus) But the names are still Tokyopop-fied.

Internet Ranking is the same old school style (boo) so no instant update like on Japanese machines

Machines are at revision 1.1.

I'd expect we can see this game in Australia fairly soon.

http://initiald.sega.com/sitedata/index.html <- English website.
Mr Waffle
TEH WAFFLES!!11!

PostPosted: Wed Jul 11, 2007 4:24 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote
Bizarre about the cars. I wonder if the Japanese got them added in too...?

Anyway, fantastic that it's coming out elsewhere. Want to play again >_<
brodiepearce
Doraemon

PostPosted: Tue Jul 24, 2007 2:22 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote
Galaxy World in Sydney apparently has Arcade Stage 4 now, as well as one or two arcades in Melbourne. Probably be a fair while before it hits Brisbane.
Slykura
Madman Staff

PostPosted: Tue Jul 24, 2007 5:56 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote
It begins!!!!!!!
Dante
BT

PostPosted: Tue Jul 24, 2007 10:42 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote
Slykura wrote:

I'd expect we can see this game in Australia fairly soon.

http://initiald.sega.com/sitedata/index.html <- English website.

i noticed that they have added the new 06/07 STi but the engine model is shown as the EJ20, shouldn't it be EJ25? being picky, yes i know Razz

but all looks pretty good, too bad we'll never get it here in townsville.
TEAM Buy Dante Beers!
Mr Waffle
TEH WAFFLES!!11!

PostPosted: Wed Jul 25, 2007 12:14 am    Post subject: Reply with quote
Dante wrote:
i noticed that they have added the new 06/07 STi but the engine model is shown as the EJ20, shouldn't it be EJ25? being picky, yes i know Razz

They swapped to the EJ25 to meet emission standards in Western models, Japan kept the EJ20.
Dante
BT

PostPosted: Wed Jul 25, 2007 9:54 am    Post subject: Reply with quote
Mr Waffle wrote:

They swapped to the EJ25 to meet emission standards in Western models, Japan kept the EJ20.

now, that's something i didn't know. would i be right in assuming that the Japanese EJ20 in the 06/07's got a slightly better turbo to keep the power/torque levels in line with the EJ25 in other regional models?

anywho, back to the arcade game! Very Happy
TEAM Buy Dante Beers!
Slykura
Madman Staff

PostPosted: Fri Jul 27, 2007 12:49 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote
Played it last night at Crown, they really need to turn the volume up.

$3 a game
$5 a card
$2 to add more cars to your card (maximum of 3 cars)

Mr Waffle
TEH WAFFLES!!11!

PostPosted: Fri Jul 27, 2007 9:40 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote
Slykura wrote:
they really need to turn the volume up.

I think you can turn it up in your card's option menu when you first start.

They've got two machines in Canberra now at Capital Funland; $2/game, $5 for a card, and I think it was $3 for another car. I picked up an RX8; a lot driftier than my Japanese Levin, and 6 gears are a lot more effort to use (3-5th gear).

They were setting up Wangan Midnight 3 machines while I was playing tonight, so it'll be a hard choice when I go in tomorrow. Razz Suddenly the local arcade has gone from urine-soaked hellhole to heaven on Earth... must've been the insurance money from the big storms that trashed it a few months ago Razz
Sauce
Sakura Kinomoto

PostPosted: Sun Jul 29, 2007 4:53 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote
Varsion 4 is AWESOME. Like Waffle said, $2 a game here but $5 for a card and $5 for another car. I started an R34 GTR (Bayside Blue omg *drool*) but between the game being harder and that car being a real bastard to learn i started a red FD instead and I'm having a lot more success with that, plus I really like the way it drifts compared to the R34.

The new physics are much better, but take a lot of getting used to. It's going to be a while before I'm ready for battle.

Sauce
Sakura Kinomoto

PostPosted: Wed Aug 01, 2007 11:30 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote
GEZ DON'T EVERYBODY REPLY AT ONCE Sad

Mr Waffle
TEH WAFFLES!!11!

PostPosted: Wed Aug 01, 2007 11:39 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote
DON'T WORRY SAUZE I STILL LOVE YOU <3 v4 this friday pls

ps remind me to take my camera so I can take happy snaps of all the part lists.
~shinigami~
Shana

PostPosted: Fri Aug 10, 2007 2:32 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote
Slykura wrote:
Played it last night at Crown, they really need to turn the volume up.

$3 a game
$5 a card
$2 to add more cars to your card (maximum of 3 cars)

You might want to cover up your key, Sly. Razz
AngelsThesis
Doraemon

PostPosted: Sun Sep 02, 2007 5:12 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote
i quite like the new version, graphics improvements especially.

but do u guys feel that there is a difference between 3rd Ver. and 4th Ver. in terms of gameplay?

well.. i feel that from playing the AE86 neways lol
Sauce
Sakura Kinomoto

PostPosted: Sun Sep 02, 2007 5:21 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote
There's an enormous difference - It's a completely new game now.

Page 1 of 1

Jump to: