Usergroups  ·  Register ·    Profile  ·  Log in to check your private messages  ·   Log in     

What would you rather, fatpacks or collector's boxes?

Goto page 1, 2, 3, 4  Next
What would you rather, fatpacks or collector's boxes?
Author
Koishi Herikawa

Location: Central Coast (the place being slowly devoured by the hole known as Sydney which I escaped from)

PostPosted: Mon Jan 07, 2008 8:14 pm    Post subject: What would you rather, fatpacks or collector's boxes? Reply with quote
I was hoping to make this topic into a poll but I don't seem to have the rights to set one up.

In light of a recent discussion on upgrades to fatpacks by some of us and the view that Madman seem to have regarding fatpacks and collectors boxes, I thought it was worth having a thread which actually gives a sample of what anime fans would rather with an initial boxset release.

My thinking is that if Madman were to see that we were preferred to purchase box sets in a fatpack rather than a collectors box, it might change their marketting strategy regarding box sets.

I realise that this could have gone in general anime, but considering those recent discussions and that this will wind up being feedback of sampled customer preferences, I think it's very much relevant here.

So if you had a choice between collectors boxes and fatpacks, which would it be, fatpacks or collectors boxes.

Personally I prefer fatpacks- the fact is that collectors boxes, while nice, just take up too much room. Case in point The Robotech Protoculture Collection as opposed to the Robotech Legacy Collection- the former is a little over a 7th the size of the later.

This is especially important for those of us who have limited storage room (box sets taking up less room=more box sets).

How about everyone else, do you also prefer the smaller size, or is space not a concern and do you prefer the look of a collector's box?
speedfreek19
Itsuki Koizumi

PostPosted: Mon Jan 07, 2008 9:13 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote
i prefer collector boxes myself cause i like the look of them (even if now im at a point where storage is becoming a problem, though thats due to the small size of my room)

Though if a release is only given a fatpack release (i.e. Kaleido star) then that doesn't worry me, just that if there is the option, i'd rather have the collector box (i am a collector afterall Very Happy)
George
Arumi Asahina

PostPosted: Mon Jan 07, 2008 9:26 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote
Anime fans want too much.
JESTER
Ruri Hoshino

PostPosted: Mon Jan 07, 2008 9:36 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote
I prefer collectors boxes and am willing to spend more to get individual releases of a fat packed series. I'm looking at getting the individual R1 vols of Utawarerumono than buy MM's fatpack release.

I have a couple of MM's fatpacks and they look like bootlegs in my eyes.

When travelling, set no limits. Just experience it, live the moment and enjoy the ride.
speedfreek19
Itsuki Koizumi

PostPosted: Mon Jan 07, 2008 9:58 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote
JESTER wrote:
I'm looking at getting the individual R1 vols of Utawarerumono than buy MM's fatpack release.

Only good thing about the R1 release is the box and the inserts with interviews and such, the dvd covers arent the most inspiring =|
Zanbato
Doraemon

PostPosted: Mon Jan 07, 2008 10:45 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote
Yeah Im 100% for Collector Boxes I love the way they look on my selves and I don't like the look of fatpacks in general because as JESTER said they do look abit like Bootlegs Sad

speedfreek19 wrote:

Though if a release is only given a fatpack release (i.e. Kaleido star) then that doesn't worry me, just that if there is the option, i'd rather have the collector box (i am a collector afterall Very Happy)

Also I see it the same way as speedfreek19 if there was no box release and I still want to own the series I'll buy it but Collectors boxes are just more satisfing to have on your shelf then fatpacks Razz
Inniss 1428
Kagami Hiiragi

PostPosted: Mon Jan 07, 2008 11:05 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote
Collector Boxes. Mainly an aesthetics thing, but also because I don't know anywhere I can buy replacement cases if I break a fatpack, whereas if I break a single case in a collectors box, it's a lot easier to replace.

Not that that's ever happend... yet.
Soul Master Kaze
Shinji Ikari

PostPosted: Tue Jan 08, 2008 12:03 am    Post subject: Reply with quote
I too, like the Collectors Boxes. It looks cool and it's easier to pick up an entire series at a time (physically, not in the 'buy' sense) rather than picking up, say, 10 DVDs and having to elastic-band them together while you're carrying them. Not that you couldn't do that with a fatpack of course. But I prefer it, even if it is a little bulkier. Now if only you could buy just the collectors boxes, my AMG!, My HiME, Eureka Seven and FMA would have a home.
Zippy Wonderdog
Mayuko Chigasaki

PostPosted: Tue Jan 08, 2008 12:55 am    Post subject: Reply with quote
If I'm buying an anime as it is released then I've no choice, but I think I would perfer the fatpack when buying a complete series, if only because it doesn't take up as much space.
As for the hardcore collectors who want their cake and eat it too, why not just buy the collectors box to start with if you want it so much?

Some places are far darker than deep space.

Tales of MU. High fantasy, higher education.
speedfreek19
Itsuki Koizumi

PostPosted: Tue Jan 08, 2008 1:27 am    Post subject: Reply with quote
Zippy Wonderdog wrote:

As for the hardcore collectors who want their cake and eat it too, why not just buy the collectors box to start with if you want it so much?

sometimes you arent given that option, like Kaleido Star and Utawarerumono where MM do a straight complete release, that said there is always the option of importing titles if you can
Zanbato
Doraemon

PostPosted: Tue Jan 08, 2008 3:33 am    Post subject: Reply with quote
Zippy Wonderdog wrote:

Hmm but what happends if you are short on money Wink
Also doesn't the collectors box MM release with all the volumes in it end up being cheaper then buying each volume as they are released?
Kirben
Nene Romanova

PostPosted: Tue Jan 08, 2008 8:22 am    Post subject: Reply with quote
Fatpacks are more compact, easier to handle and offer better value. It would be good to see more series released with x amount of episodes in fatpacks, rather than the usual singles we get for most anime series. Especially for DVD releases of longer anime series.

The bootlegs comments are ridiculous, as the fatpacks are widely used for TV series, by companies in Australia. And the standard DVD cases, with up to 6 DVDs is becoming even more common now too.

Collector's boxes are a waste, it is just another layer of packaging, and the artwork is usually not even see, when placed upon shelves.

Seems to be too many people buying their DVDs based on their style of the packaging, rather then the actual content of the DVDs.
Nargun
Siegfried Kircheis

PostPosted: Tue Jan 08, 2008 8:31 am    Post subject: Reply with quote
I actually don't care.
Gouki
Vanilla H

PostPosted: Tue Jan 08, 2008 8:34 am    Post subject: Reply with quote
Fatpacks are cheaper and take up less room.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website Yahoo Messenger MSN Messenger
speedfreek19
Itsuki Koizumi

PostPosted: Tue Jan 08, 2008 8:41 am    Post subject: Reply with quote
Kirben wrote:

Seems to be too many people buying their DVDs based on their style of the packaging, rather then the actual content of the DVDs.

Heck yeah! It's nice to have packaging that compliments the show, namely artboxes, IMO at least. That is, as far as anime goes.

There's the Charmed Book of Shadows set which has all 8 seasons contained within its pages, it's worth over $300 but heck i'd shell out the dosh for it if i had it.

Some people like artboxes and others like fatpacks for their own various reasons, so companies cater to that on the most part (at least as far as anime releases go, seeing as TV shows are released seasons at a time anyway, though there are ones every now and then that have them contained within a box or something after they are all released, like recently Family Guy and Marvel's movies they have released))
JESTER
Ruri Hoshino

PostPosted: Tue Jan 08, 2008 1:24 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote
Kirben wrote:

The bootlegs comments are ridiculous, as the fatpacks are widely used for TV series, by companies in Australia. And the standard DVD cases, with up to 6 DVDs is becoming even more common now too.

Collector's boxes are a waste, it is just another layer of packaging, and the artwork is usually not even see, when placed upon shelves.

I do see the fatpacks on the shelf and avoid them for the same reason. Good bootlegs are on par or in some cases superior to the official release, in terms of packaging. This also makes it harder to determine what is a bootleg esp for newbies.

Collectors boxes aren't a waste. If I had just fatpacks and individual releases instead of boxsets, then finding a series I want off the shelf takes a great deal longer. Look at the boxes of the R1 Trinity Blood, .hack//SIGN, Gundam SEED Destiny and My Hime. Those are boxes that are different from the norm. You can say the same for School Rumble, FMA, R1 Coyote Ragtime Show and the ltd edition NGE, Gasaraki tin boxes.

The style of the artwork on the box is the same as with the dvd cover. You need bait and if the box is the bait for the series that's the hook, then the box is pretty damn needed. Unless of course you want to feed the fish instead of catching them. Also not all boxes are good. Gad Guard and Eureka Seven are the worst boxes that MM have ever done in terms of artwork on it.

One final thing is with boxes, there tend to be extra's. Those that are vol 1 with box. MM have used shirts before with their first vols, where in the US, you see OSTS, shirts, pencil boards and other things.

The boxes really liven up my bkshelf and help break up the individual non box dvd's so that I can find them easier.

When travelling, set no limits. Just experience it, live the moment and enjoy the ride.
CG
Yukino Miyazawa

PostPosted: Tue Jan 08, 2008 1:44 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote
I much prefer fatpacks. They save both space and room. Collector's boxes take up way too much room.
Inniss 1428
Kagami Hiiragi

PostPosted: Tue Jan 08, 2008 1:59 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote
Zanbato wrote:
Also doesn't the collectors box MM release with all the volumes in it end up being cheaper then buying each volume as they are released?

Yeah, pretty sure it does. But it's a clever way to make extra money off people who are impatient for certain series, such as myself Razz
I'd gladly hand over a little extra to get each volume of Death Note as it comes out rather than have to wait for a full box release.
kbz333
Kiichi Goto

PostPosted: Tue Jan 08, 2008 8:25 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote
i prefer the boxsets myself....mostly cause of the artwork

speedfreak wrote
Quote:
There's the Charmed Book of Shadows set which has all 8 seasons contained within its pages, it's worth over $300 but heck i'd shell out the dosh for it if i had it.

i'd do the same for stargate too...the box is awesome Razz
coldfire
Pants on head crazy

PostPosted: Tue Jan 08, 2008 8:30 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote
speedfreek19 wrote:
[..]

Only good thing about the R1 release is the box and the inserts with interviews and such, the dvd covers arent the most inspiring =|

Was i the only one that actually like the covers?
As for me i like the art boxes better but hey im really only interested in what it holds, fat pack or box is fine with me.
Even if their eyes are scorched.Even if their arms are writhing, they will never stop marching head,guided by the will'o the wisp.They will will their way and shoot at point-blak distance,the footsteps that have thrown life away, the trigger that brings death.,the 901 Anti-Tank-Trooper.
jeff
Linn Syun-Rock Dreu Haider Jinto

PostPosted: Tue Jan 08, 2008 8:56 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote
coldfire wrote:
Was i the only one that actually like the covers?
As for me i like the art boxes better but hey im really only interested in what it holds, fat pack or box is fine with me.

I don't mind the R1 individual disc artwork for Utawarerumono either.

As for artbox Vs fatpack, while I prefer artboxes, I am starting see the space saving benfits of fatpacks though. As I generally buy series as they are released I only get R4 fatpacks for series that get their release as a collection in a fatpack (Slayers etc). I would prefer a thinpack with discs compete with all extras, in a smaller artbox over a fatpack though. MM have only done this with the Orphen season 2 collection as far as I know.

As for the fold out digpacks they do have some nice artwork on the sleave & on the backs of the folding sections but they can be a bit tight in the sleaves & after a few extractions the sleave can get a bit tattered in spots. So I would prefer a fatpack over a digipack.

R1 DVDs
Current totals DVDs = 3756, Figures = 430, Soundtrack CDs = 1466, Artbooks = 364.
Crypt
Hajime Saitou

PostPosted: Tue Jan 08, 2008 9:51 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote
I prefer collector's boxes but I will still buy fatpack only releases such as Kaleido Star or Utawarerumono. If I had the choice I'd definitely choose the collector's boxes even if they were another $40 or so.
Mad Anime Fan
Banned

PostPosted: Tue Jan 08, 2008 10:31 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote
I prefer fatpacks for the size and all that.
And if anyone thinks they look like bootlegs then why does it have the Madman logo on it? Razz
Get over the whole, "this looks like a bootleg/pirated, set" phase.

I think the problem to solve that is simple do boxset artwork for the fatpacks.
Make the fatpacks stand out more artwise.

Then everyone would get the best of both worlds.
Zanbato
Doraemon

PostPosted: Tue Jan 08, 2008 10:50 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote
Mad Anime Fan wrote:

I think the problem to solve that is simple do boxset artwork for the fatpacks.
Make the fatpacks stand out more artwise.

Then everyone would get the best of both worlds.

Hmm Yes in theory but since I don't have a space problem I like the size of boxsets Wink
and even if fatpacks had the art of Collector boxes they still don't look as "Sexy" as Collector boxes do.

Also I have tried to display a fatpack like I would a Collectors box and it just doesn’t have the some visual appeal
Blaze
Washu Hakubi

PostPosted: Wed Jan 09, 2008 7:31 am    Post subject: Reply with quote
I like the boxsets with the slim line DVD casing. Not only does it look good, but it also provides more shelf space. One example is the Orphen Revenge Boxset. One problem with Collectors boxes is that once you collect all of the DVD's it's sometimes difficult to take the one you want out. Fat Packs being bootlegged, what a load of rubbish!. To tell you the truth 'Fat Packs' are more convenient. Mad
Phoenix85
Ryuk

PostPosted: Wed Jan 09, 2008 8:44 am    Post subject: Reply with quote
Depends on the series for me. Some series I feel I can't wait and buy straight away (Haruhi, GITS:SAC etc) while others I am determined not to buy before a fatpack release for the sheer amount of room they'd take up (InuYasha, I'm looking at you...), if Trigun was re-released and was remastered etc (like BeBop was not long ago) I'd buy the collectors box.

JESTER wrote:
[..]
Collectors boxes aren't a waste. If I had just fatpacks and individual releases instead of boxsets, then finding a series I want off the shelf takes a great deal longer.

That's where fatpacks would make it easier for me, since I always store my dvds alpha-numerically sorted. The hardest part at the moment is remembering which letter is in which box Confused

JESTER wrote:
[..]One final thing is with boxes, there tend to be extra's. Those that are vol 1 with box. MM have used shirts before with their first vols, where in the US, you see OSTS, shirts, pencil boards and other things.

Sad thing is MM's extras seem to be few and far between, and when there are some they're usually for series' I'm not interested in anyway so this argument is largely irrelevant for me.
(besides, I have enough dust collectors as is.)

jeff wrote:
[..]As for the fold out digpacks they do have some nice artwork on the sleave & on the backs of the folding sections but they can be a bit tight in the sleaves & after a few extractions the sleave can get a bit tattered in spots. So I would prefer a fatpack over a digipack.

I have the same problem. Poor old TinTin looks a bit worse for wear and even El Hazard is a bit tatty around the edges, and that's new.
That said they do save space.
Foxy
Koyomi Mizuhara

PostPosted: Wed Jan 09, 2008 10:31 am    Post subject: Reply with quote
speedfreek19 wrote:
i prefer collector boxes myself cause i like the look of them (even if now im at a point where storage is becoming a problem, though thats due to the small size of my room)

I agree even with storage difficulties the collectors box is still appealing.
"Im like your modern day vampire. Except I dont like drinking blood, I dont hate garlic, sunshine doesnt directly kill me, and I dont file a tax return as undead. And a steak to the heart screws me too"
braiko
Doraemon

PostPosted: Wed Jan 09, 2008 5:22 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote
I say Art Boxes!

The general consensus so far seems to be that the main benefit of fat packs is the space-saving. This to me doesn't seem enough of a reason to pass up the art-box collection. Shelving isnt expensive (IKEA!) Wink. And people won't be shacked up in a tiny bedroom in their folks' places forever.
Mad Anime Fan
Banned

PostPosted: Wed Jan 09, 2008 9:22 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote
I admit smaller sized boxsets of say 2-4 DVD types are alright but when you have say 3-8 sets of about 6 to 10 DVD sized sets you do get size issues for storing them.
If some of you people are so lucky to have heaps of room that is good then.
speedfreek19
Itsuki Koizumi

PostPosted: Wed Jan 09, 2008 10:03 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote
braiko wrote:
And people won't be shacked up in a tiny bedroom in their folks' places forever.

They could be living in a 1 bedroom flat though lol

When it really becomes an issue is when it gets to the 700-1000 disc point i think lol, then you really have to look at heavy duty storage Razz
Inniss 1428
Kagami Hiiragi

PostPosted: Thu Jan 10, 2008 12:10 am    Post subject: Reply with quote
speedfreek19 wrote:

When it really becomes an issue is when it gets to the 700-1000 disc point i think lol, then you really have to look at heavy duty storage Razz

If you're getting to that point, it may be a good idea to invest in a few of these.

I find cheap ikea bookshelves generally tend to do the trick though.
Mad Anime Fan
Banned

PostPosted: Thu Jan 10, 2008 12:35 am    Post subject: Reply with quote
Inniss 1428 wrote:
[..]

If you're getting to that point, it may be a good idea to invest in a few of these.

I find cheap ikea bookshelves generally tend to do the trick though.
Or a simple nice high DVD rack takes up less room possibly but that thing seems nifty.
Bowspearer
Koishi Herikawa

Location: Central Coast (the place being slowly devoured by the hole known as Sydney which I escaped from)

PostPosted: Thu Jan 10, 2008 1:01 am    Post subject: Reply with quote
speedfreek19 wrote:
[..]

The thing is that I'm at at least the 400 disc mark now and I'm really noticing the difference. Ideally I'd love all slimpacks where possible but they tend to have really lousy disc spindles and so the discs can come loose a fair bit.
stars
Doraemon

PostPosted: Thu Jan 10, 2008 6:54 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote
I would prefer the art boxes. They just look lovely sitting on a shelf.

Last edited by stars on Fri Jan 11, 2008 11:49 am; edited 1 time in total
Bowspearer
Koishi Herikawa

PostPosted: Thu Jan 10, 2008 11:03 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote
This has definitely been interesting.

Ok let me throw this one out there as an additional thing for those wanting collectors boxes- would a fatpack in a collectors box (eg Beast Wars) look as good to you as volumes with individual cases in a collectors box?
Kero-chan
Priss Asagiri

PostPosted: Fri Jan 11, 2008 7:02 am    Post subject: Reply with quote
I prefer fatpacks - I'd rather save space and money, even if I only have a small collection and don't buy much anime.
Jaden1
Lin Minmay

PostPosted: Fri Jan 11, 2008 11:06 am    Post subject: Reply with quote
I like both. I have a lot of artboxes that I'd be just as happy having fatpacks for. The main thing with me is the cost, not the box it comes in. If a fatpack is cheaper than an artbox, the fatpack will win everytime.

The GITS:SAC artbox looks just as good imo as the fatpack offering that Madman used for the 10th anniversary (although the essential anime bit sucked) so I'd be happy to get either one.. And if Gundam Wing is now cheaper than in the artbox, I'll get it..
Inniss 1428
Kagami Hiiragi

PostPosted: Fri Jan 11, 2008 11:41 am    Post subject: Reply with quote
Bowspearer wrote:
Ok let me throw this one out there as an additional thing for those wanting collectors boxes- would a fatpack in a collectors box (eg Beast Wars) look as good to you as volumes with individual cases in a collectors box?

Not to me. It sort of defeats the purpose of pulling out discs individually, and is acting more like a dustcover. Plus then you no longer have the art for the individual volumes.

I have a R1 folding case of .hack//SIGN that is then contained in a box, it bugs me whenever I want to pull out a disc to watch.
Blind Lawyer
Madman Staff

PostPosted: Fri Jan 11, 2008 2:07 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote
speedfreek19 wrote:
[..]
sometimes you arent given that option, like Kaleido Star and Utawarerumono where MM do a straight complete release, that said there is always the option of importing titles if you can

Interesting discussion! I have this same debate when I look at my bursting shelves of books, DVDs, figs and comics.

I just wanted to comment on the above, while Madman wants to give fans the best options possible, and release in single releases, collections, then eventually nice-price fatpacks, there are some series that if we didn't release all-in-one, they wouldn't be viable for Australian release. So it makes most sense to go into a fatpack

So remember if you see a niche series like Kaleido or Utawarerumono released as a fatpack, please think twice about importing the box as buying local shows your support for having these series released locally.

We still work really hard on great looking covers (check out the Transformers releases, we're commissioning the comic artists to create brand new ones!) and offer for the cheaper price.

Boxes and collections are still going to happen for big series that release on individual discs, so where we can we give you the choice.
speedfreek19
Itsuki Koizumi

PostPosted: Fri Jan 11, 2008 2:27 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote
Blind Lawyer wrote:

So remember if you see a niche series like Kaleido or Utawarerumono released as a fatpack, please think twice about importing the box as buying local shows your support for having these series released locally.

I fully understand that supporting the local industry is important of course, just saying there is that option (granted it'd cost you more to import than to buy Madman's fatpack versions of course, so the appeal of MM's lower cost is another drawcard)

I didn't think Utwarerumono would be a niche title to warrant a fatpack.

Anyway as far as Kaleido Star goes, i've bought both MM releases, i didnt even really consider importing the 2nd season.

I have to say though, the Kaleido Star artwork and disc prints are quite nice. As for Utawarerumono both the R1 and R4 disc covers do seem, rather plain, but thats more due to given what you h ave to work with by the licence isn't it?
JESTER
Ruri Hoshino

PostPosted: Fri Jan 11, 2008 7:49 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote
I don't consider Kaleido Star as a nichi title esp since 2 seasons and 3 OVA's were done. Only 1 of those OVA's, ep 52 has been released with the 2nd season.

I'll go with individual releases over fat packs any day. It may be a lot more expensive and take a lot more room on the overloaded bkshelves, but in my eyes the individual releases and boxsets are hold in a great deal higher regard than fat packs. The fatpacks I do have, I have hardly played at all.

CG
Yukino Miyazawa

PostPosted: Sat Jan 12, 2008 2:06 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote
JESTER wrote:
I don't consider Kaleido Star as a nichi title esp since 2 seasons and 3 OVA's were done. Only 1 of those OVA's, ep 52 has been released with the 2nd season.

Just 'cause it's popular doesn't mean it's not a niche title Wink

Obviously it's not going to have the mainstream appeal of something like, say, Naruto so why waste all the money releasing it individually when they could just do it as a fatpack? I mean, at least it's out here, right?
JESTER
Ruri Hoshino

PostPosted: Sat Jan 12, 2008 11:49 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote
CruelGenesis wrote:
[..]

Just 'cause it's popular doesn't mean it's not a niche title Wink

Obviously it's not going to have the mainstream appeal of something like, say, Naruto so why waste all the money releasing it individually when they could just do it as a fatpack? I mean, at least it's out here, right?

I think you could say that to a great deal of MM titles. MM releasing fatpacks straight off is a relatively new thing. Done a few years earlier, you would've seen a lot more done as fat packs.

Don't mind me. I just hate them for the reasons I've stated in my posts. From my perspective, saving space and money are the only things going for it which to a good few people is great, but for me, isn't that high up on my list.

Crypt
Hajime Saitou

PostPosted: Sun Jan 13, 2008 2:01 am    Post subject: Reply with quote
I think Kaleido Star having 52 eps also contributed to Madman's decision to release it in fatpacks. As Cruel Genesis said, Kaleido Star doesn't have the mainstream appeal of many other releases from Madman, so it isn't really feasible to release two entire seasons slowly volume by volume.
Bowspearer
Koishi Herikawa

PostPosted: Sun Jan 13, 2008 3:06 am    Post subject: Reply with quote
Blind Lawyer wrote:
Boxes and collections are still going to happen for big series that release on individual discs, so where we can we give you the choice.

Except there isn't as much of a choice- those of us wanting fat packs because of space issues either have to wait 12 months longer than other people or import.

I mean I'm already debating selling off my Gundam Seed Complete collection in anticipation of the fatpack and I don't want to get caught out with Destiny so I wont be buying that up front either, which means that Madman misses out on higher revenues since I'm not the only one in that boat.

I honestly wouldn't even mind if the fat packs came out at the same time or shortly after and at the same price as collectors boxes and I'm sure most other people wanting fatpacks would agree with me if they were asked- it's ultimately ALOT cheaper than the alternative of switching over and losing a heap of money or waiting ages.

Last edited by Bowspearer on Sun Jan 13, 2008 5:22 pm; edited 1 time in total
View user's profile Send private message AIM Address Yahoo Messenger MSN Messenger ICQ Number
Mad Anime Fan
Banned

PostPosted: Sun Jan 13, 2008 11:01 am    Post subject: Reply with quote
I too wouldn't mind paying the same price for a fatpack if it got released sooner/quicker.
Instead of having space being taken up on the shelves and waiting a year and for stock levels to go low or emptied out so we even get said fatpacks.
HeDanny
Grumpy Old Man

PostPosted: Mon Jan 14, 2008 10:31 am    Post subject: Reply with quote
One of the things that appeal to me about the fatpacks is that they are cheaper. Given the choice between a collector box and a fatpack at the same price I would still buy the fatpack as I prefer fatpacks, but I would not be impressed with the pricing. Fatpacks are cheaper to make, they should be cheaper to buy.

With the exception of the Astroboy Tins and the Haibane Renmei Box, I would gladly swap every collector box I have for a fatpack.

I would also love to see every series 6dvds or less packaged in multipacks the same size as a standard DVD case.

Then again, I would like to see all DVDs, games etc repackaged. It makes no sense to package movies in such large packaging when smaller, more efficient alternatives exist.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website Yahoo Messenger
speedfreek19
Itsuki Koizumi

PostPosted: Mon Jan 14, 2008 11:59 am    Post subject: Reply with quote
I wouldn't mind seeing Thinpacks, like what ADV does at times with their series, though only issue i have with those is that they are flimsy cases and the coverart on the cases themselves (as well as the disc prints) are rather dull but the boxes are pretty spiffy Very Happy
I especially like the Sakura Wars TV thinpack box, the UFO Princess S1 thinpack box is nice too, though with ADV they cut out the extras as well unfortuantely

Maybe later down the track as an option if you still want to give individuals the choice of a collector box there is thinpack releases, sure the cases are more flimsy but if you're pedantic like me, its another alternative to fatpacks
fallenangelash
Kenshin Himura

PostPosted: Mon Jan 14, 2008 4:31 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote
collectors boxes all the way~

thinkpaks are good too, although i don't have any yet.
Thistle
Washu Hakubi

PostPosted: Mon Jan 14, 2008 5:14 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote
Thinpacks are the best- they combine the best qualities of fatpacks and artboxes, i.e. they are space saving but still come in a lovely box.

For any series over 6 discs (singles) long, it would still be possible to thinpack the series using the sturdy material MM usually do for regular boxsets (instead of the flimsy cardboard), as I believe Sly said that the minimum no. of regular DVD cases required is 3. Correct me if I'm wrong.

Page 1 of 4

Jump to: