Usergroups  ·  Register ·    Profile  ·  Log in to check your private messages  ·   Log in     

ANN: Group Plans Buyout of Australian Anime Firm's Parent

ANN: Group Plans Buyout of Australian Anime Firm's Parent
Author
Hajime Saitou

PostPosted: Sat May 24, 2008 6:13 am    Post subject: ANN: Group Plans Buyout of Australian Anime Firm's Parent Reply with quote
Has anyone seen this article yet? Any comments?
Renton7
Mayuko Chigasaki

PostPosted: Sat May 24, 2008 11:41 am    Post subject: Reply with quote
Shocked Interesting hopefully this doesn't affect Madman in anyway, shape or form.
Timesplitter 01
Yakumo Tsukamoto

PostPosted: Sat May 24, 2008 12:53 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote
This is the problem with the public arena madman is in a bad position here Shocked

Private Equity firms are known for stripping down business to their bare bones are makeing them more profitable. This could mean that some part of madman might be affected in one shape or form.
HimuraBattousai
Kagami Yagami

PostPosted: Sat May 24, 2008 1:04 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote
Moved to the appropriate forum.

Could be bad news, but with a bit of luck they'll figure that Madman division is doing fine, and largely leave it alone. Time will tell.
Inniss 1428
Kagami Hiiragi

PostPosted: Sat May 24, 2008 1:09 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote
Repost:

Quote:
Recently, Funtastic's managing director, Tony Oates, has reportedly been considering selling off the company's non-toy assets, while retaining its core business. Madman Group, which Funtastic acquired for 34.5 million Australian dollars (US$26.5 million) in 2006, is its major non-toy division

To quote The Age article (hooray for subscription)
The Age wrote:
the Archer-backed group had made a "non-binding indicative proposal" to buy all of Funtastic for 80c a share... through a scheme of arrangement rather than a takeover.

All in all, I'm not overly concerned. At least, not until someone convinces me I should be.
Tachikoma
Shiki Tohno

PostPosted: Sat May 24, 2008 1:31 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote
Quote:
All in all, I'm not overly concerned. At least, not until someone convinces me I should be.

Yeah you're probably right. Although I still like the romantic notion that the company should be run and owned by people who actually enjoy the products Madman is catering for.
Nargun
Siegfried Kircheis

PostPosted: Sat May 24, 2008 4:34 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote
HimuraBattousai wrote:
Moved to the appropriate forum.

Could be bad news, but with a bit of luck they'll figure that Madman division is doing fine, and largely leave it alone. Time will tell.

If you're in a bit of trouble, you sell the underperforming bits and clear up your balance sheet. If you're in a lot of trouble, you sell the good stuff, the stuff that makes you money.

Exactly how rooted Funtastic is, we won't know until we see what's sold. Either way, Madman's a well-run business unit and unless it's purchased by retarded shoggoths will likely be left alone.
JESTER
Ruri Hoshino

PostPosted: Sun May 25, 2008 12:12 am    Post subject: Reply with quote
Interesting that. I wonder if Tim would consider buying MM back in order to save it.

I can't see Tim and co letting MM be ripped apart after all the work they've done in building the business they started.

When travelling, set no limits. Just experience it, live the moment and enjoy the ride.
Nargun
Siegfried Kircheis

PostPosted: Sun May 25, 2008 12:07 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote
JESTER wrote:
Interesting that. I wonder if Tim would consider buying MM back in order to save it.

I can't see Tim and co letting MM be ripped apart after all the work they've done in building the business they started.

What's "Madman Entertainment"? It's just a name, some stock, a few contracts. The valuable parts are the people, the rest can be gotten from somewhere else or built anew. Same as any business, really.

[if you were starting a new business, though, you wouldn't do it in anime. Not now. Plus, there's the non-competition contracts Tim &c signed...]
HimuraBattousai
Kagami Yagami

PostPosted: Sun May 25, 2008 12:17 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote
Names do have value, though. They can be built up from scratch, but once you've got a good one it's far easier to stick with it than build up a new one.
Greoboruri
Nene Romanova

PostPosted: Sun May 25, 2008 3:28 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote
Nargun wrote:
What's "Madman Entertainment"? It's just a name, some stock, a few contracts. The valuable parts are the people, the rest can be gotten from somewhere else or built anew. Same as any business, really.
Uh, what about the properties they own? They distribute stuff like the Palace Films catalogue. They haven't become one of Australia's leading independent distributors overnight. It took a good 8 or so years to get to this point. I'd think it'd really kill to have start all over again, build up a catalogue of films etc. Madman is a brand now. When I have a look at the flyers at my local Dendy, the Madman logo can be found on a surprising amount of the movie flyers.
redacidman
Mayuko Chigasaki

PostPosted: Sun May 25, 2008 8:38 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote
Most of what was said in the article sound's like pure speculation at best, until we hear more it's best not to speculate what is being sold and what's not..
Schmavid
Eikichi Onizuka

PostPosted: Sun May 25, 2008 9:22 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote
I do believe that speculation is the name of the game in this thread.
JESTER
Ruri Hoshino

PostPosted: Sun May 25, 2008 11:24 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote
Nargun wrote:
[..]

[if you were starting a new business, though, you wouldn't do it in anime. Not now. Plus, there's the non-competition contracts Tim &c signed...]

Madman Entertainment may be just a name, but that can be said for any company like Cadbury for instance. Madman's name has a lot of power in the anime industry in terms of reputation, product and status. Those things you have to earn over time which Madman Entertainment has done.

I didn't know that Tim and co. signed anti-competition contracts. I would think that Tim and co. would be able to form a new company with the ACCC's blessing if push came to shove.

When travelling, set no limits. Just experience it, live the moment and enjoy the ride.
Orion159
Melfina

PostPosted: Thu May 29, 2008 11:50 am    Post subject: Reply with quote
JESTER wrote:
[..]

Madman Entertainment may be just a name, but that can be said for any company like Cadbury for instance. Madman's name has a lot of power in the anime industry in terms of reputation, product and status. Those things you have to earn over time which Madman Entertainment has done.

I didn't know that Tim and co. signed anti-competition contracts. I would think that Tim and co. would be able to form a new company with the ACCC's blessing if push came to shove.

Have to agree on the branding ... you can never discount the value of a good name. After all entities like McDonalds, Starbucks and Coke are largely the entities they are today based on the pervasive quality of their brand. In niche markets this is even more true (eg classic example is Mack trucks. In recent survey buyers were asked who they blamed if something went wrong with the truck ... something like 90% blamed themselves as they were that enamored with the brand that they couldn't conceive of anything they did as being wrong!).

Of course you're also discounting the value of MM's current portfolio/catalogue. You could start a new company, but with MM holding so many rights, and with the leverage of previous working relationships, it would be difficult to make a significant presence fast in such a small marketplace (for both both suppliers and customers).

Finally, if Tim etc did sign anti-comp contracts then nothing the ACCC can do about it. Basic contract law, though there is probably an expiration date. More likely scenario is a negotiated voiding of that particular term between the two parties (ie Tim etc & Funi/equity group), and assumes repurchasing the business makes sense.

End of the day though MM should be safe, as just judging by it's shelf-space it seems to be doing pretty well for a niche provider (despite grumblings of never-pleased/impatient anime fans). Maybe one possibility is splitting it into it's constituent parts (ie MM Anime, Eastern Eye, MM Feature Films etc) but then would need to determine if each parts potential market and resulting individual valuation is greater than the combined market value and operational and distibutional efficiencies in place.
Slykura
Madman Staff

PostPosted: Thu May 29, 2008 12:02 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote
The sky isn't falling

so stay calm Smile

Page 1 of 1

Jump to: