Usergroups  ·  Register ·    Profile  ·  Log in to check your private messages  ·   Log in     

Computer Tech Help thread(For ALL computer problems)

Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6 ... 27, 28, 29  Next
Computer Tech Help thread(For ALL computer problems)
Author
Arumi Asahina

PostPosted: Sat Apr 19, 2008 9:07 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote
Is this a laptop or a full PC/motherboard?

If you flashed the bios wrongly then removing the battery won't do much (that just resets user settings in the bios), and i'd be surprised if the machine still worked after that.
However I think many bios flash utilities these days do run a check to make sure you are flashing with the right bios for that board, in which case you might be running at defaults for your machines bios.

You may need to go into the bios and check the settings manually for your system, make sure the boot priority is set to the correct drive (i'm assuming that's what the *ch* is), and maybe reset the agp options?

I get a "cmos checksum" error sometimes if my machine hasn't booted properly (in itself that message is relatively minor), you can also get it after a successful bios flash if you haven't reset the user options.
TheGreatNinjaFanBoy
Nene Romanova

PostPosted: Sat Apr 19, 2008 10:41 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote
A desktop PC, so a full-size motherboard. And, yes, the battery trick didn't do a thing. I'm really stuck. I'm just not good enough to do a full-on DOS BIOS flash update. I used a Windows-based program from Acer's website. I also read that Acer's updates are rubbish and that no one should use them. A bit late for me now, isn't it? Mind you, I used BIOS updates specific to my PC model. The BIOS updates were really the only real updates they had. The rest was base-level junk that the PC comes with.

Even if I manage to get the BIOS up again, I still have the issue with the VGA card and its complete refusal to install drivers. It’ll go through the entire process of installing the drivers then give an error afterwards, meaning that technically the stuff is there but it won’t recognize it.

I can’t believe how quickly I wrecked what was once the little tugboat of my PC family. This Acer had been solid since I got it and despite its lack of power it runs just about anything.
TheGreatNinjaFanBoy
Nene Romanova

PostPosted: Sun Apr 20, 2008 1:43 am    Post subject: Reply with quote
Firstly, normally I would edit my previous post, but it takes ages navigating WebPages at the moment. Plus I'm tired. Whatever.

So I managed to the BIOS all on track... at least it looks that way. It’s still running damn slow. I still want to restore or recover my previous BIOS version. But at least it boots properly now.

I still can't get the damn video drivers to install. I got the GeForce 6200 back in but still no solution. I tried installing the latest 2008 drivers from nVIDIA. It just won't accept them. Nothing. No angle I've come up with has worked.

When I install it through nVIDIA drivers it says "No modification to the system. If you want to install the program later..." blah blah. And when I search for drivers through Windows System/Hardware/Device Manager it still won't take it. Just keeps on with the "Reinstall Driver" and when I try it says "parameters incorrect” or something like that. What the hell?!
CreepC
Kenshin Himura

PostPosted: Tue Apr 22, 2008 3:05 am    Post subject: Reply with quote
Got the weirdest problem ever, it just doesn't make any sense.

I try plugging my second monitor into any of the 3 free DVI connectors. When I try to boot up the computer the computer instantly switches off. Nothing gets displayed on either monitors and it doesn't even reach the BIOS. When I have only 1 Monitor connected to a DVI port(only the bottom left seems to work) the computer will start and runs perfectly.

PC Specs:
MoBo: MSI P35 Platinum
CPU: Intel Core2Quad Q6600 2.4Ghz
RAM: 2* 2X1Gb GieL 5300
GFX: 2* HD3870X2 (CrossfireX Enabled)
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Yahoo Messenger MSN Messenger
TheGreatNinjaFanBoy
Nene Romanova

PostPosted: Tue Apr 22, 2008 9:13 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote
I fixed my PC. Works better than it ever has. Good for me!

EDIT: I'm looking for new internet security software. Anyone have suggestions?
CG
Yukino Miyazawa

PostPosted: Tue Apr 22, 2008 9:33 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote
CreepC wrote:
Got the weirdest problem ever, it just doesn't make any sense.

I try plugging my second monitor into any of the 3 free DVI connectors. When I try to boot up the computer the computer instantly switches off. Nothing gets displayed on either monitors and it doesn't even reach the BIOS. When I have only 1 Monitor connected to a DVI port(only the bottom left seems to work) the computer will start and runs perfectly.

PC Specs:
MoBo: MSI P35 Platinum
CPU: Intel Core2Quad Q6600 2.4Ghz
RAM: 2* 2X1Gb GieL 5300
GFX: 2* HD3870X2 (CrossfireX Enabled)

Perhaps it's something to do with your power supply?
Kero-chan
Priss Asagiri

PostPosted: Tue Apr 22, 2008 11:13 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote
TheGreatNinjaFanBoy wrote:
EDIT: I'm looking for new internet security software. Anyone have suggestions?

How about the various products by AVG?

http://www.grisoft.com
HeDanny
Grumpy Old Man

PostPosted: Wed Apr 23, 2008 4:17 am    Post subject: Reply with quote
Kero-chan wrote:
How about the various products by AVG?

http://www.grisoft.com

Only if you are going to pay for it. The "free" version now has nagware, and a few updates ago it installed its own version of Firefox. I would avoid this at all costs.

The only other Free one that seems solid is Avast, I had it on one of my machines for a few months and it seemed to work quite well indeed. Very silent too, which I really like. Don't know its there until you need to.

Relying on one solution is not the best way to go. Have one resident, and then manually run some others. Dont forget there is some very solid free online scanners as wel, such as stinger, house call, and Panda. I use all three of these on a semi-regular basis and they are great.

Lastly, use Spyware, Crapware, adware cleaners. I personally LOVE cCleaner, but it is a bit fiddly. Things Such as SpyBot and Ad-Aware seem solid and well respected. I have used both quite a lot and have had no problems.

Would supply links, but its 3:30 in the morning and I have not played and Phoenix Wright yet. Google is your friend, my friend. Use it. Smile
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website Yahoo Messenger
CreepC
Kenshin Himura

PostPosted: Wed Apr 23, 2008 3:43 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote
CruelGenesis wrote:
[..]

Perhaps it's something to do with your power supply?

Nah I found the problem. Catalyst was conflicting with the BIOS. I had to change the settings to restart CrossFireX after that it started working perfectly.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Yahoo Messenger MSN Messenger
Dr.Jackal
Sylia Stingray

PostPosted: Wed Apr 23, 2008 4:06 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote
HeDanny wrote:
[..]

Only if you are going to pay for it. The "free" version now has nagware, and a few updates ago it installed its own version of Firefox. I would avoid this at all costs.

I have only seen the "Nagware" twice in about 4 months, so it is not that bad. What are you talking about this firefox thing? i have had no such thing.
^Kat^cassidy^
Misa Amane

PostPosted: Wed May 07, 2008 12:07 am    Post subject: Reply with quote
HELP! We have a computer that runs incredibly fast under Windows Vista Ultimate but slowly under Windows XP with SP2 and with SP3! We've gone from XP to Vista then back to XP then back to Vista and, finally, back to XP (now with SP3), each time the Windows drive has had a full formatting and all that. We want a fast computer but we don't want the hassle of Vista. Can anybody suggest anything we should try?

Stats:
THE ENTERTAINMENT COMPUTER (Feb 2007/Mar 2008)
MSI 945GCM5 V2 motherboard with onboard everything
Intel Pentium D dual-core 2.8GHz/core
2GB PC<forget-what> DDR RAM
1x200GB WD PATA HDD (C:\)
1x200GB Samsung PATA HDD (E:\)
1x250GB WD SATA HDD (D:\)
LG SATA DVD burner
Viewsonic VA1912wb 19" 16:10 LCD monitor
speedfreek19
Itsuki Koizumi

PostPosted: Wed May 07, 2008 9:51 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote
Kat: It all depends on what you actually have running on XP in terms of background/startup programs and suchforth as that is a major factor in its running speed.

We're getting an iMac tomorrow and i'll be claiming the current pc for my room but the only thing i am worrying about is the networking as the iMac will have to be the base for nets so i'm just considering what possibilities i have.

Was thinking of getting a wireless router but mac has the AirPort thingy so i was wondering if i could just buy a wireless network adaptor and plug it in to the PC and would the Wii and DS connect to it as well? airport that is, though i do have the Nintendo adaptor at the moment on the pc (running custom software)

Hoping for more of a USB based adaptor rather than a card based adaptor for the pc
StorminNorman
Gillard-chan

PostPosted: Thu May 08, 2008 1:31 am    Post subject: Reply with quote
^Kat^cassidy^ wrote:
Can anybody suggest anything we should try?

I suggest not living in the past. Use Vista, it's Better.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website MSN Messenger
HeDanny
Grumpy Old Man

PostPosted: Thu May 08, 2008 9:29 am    Post subject: Reply with quote
StorminNorman wrote:
I suggest not living in the past. Use Vista, it's Better.
I would suggest you get a clue, but then you would not be the Stormo we all know and love Razz

Kat, you are not the only person to want to run XP instead of Vista. It seems like an extreme chunk of MS user base is just like you. This includes every person I know. The amount of computers I have had to reformat from Vista to XP is .. massive.

I assume (you being you) that you have tried stripping the machine back to basics to see if it works fine, then one by one re-installing each additional component to see f you can snag the problem?

Might be worth COMPLETELY reformatting the HDDs. As in MBR and everything. Also try using different HDDs as 0. You have three there to choose from, so try installing each of them as the 0 drive to see if that makes any difference. SATA is (usually) faster than PATA. Try using the SATA as the 0 drive first. It may not make that much difference, but when you are stuck like this its worth trying these things no?

Once you have decided on which HDD to use as 0, PARTITION IT!! For serious. Letting XP (or any MS OS really) run free on a HDD is just asking for trouble. Make a C:\ as small as you can comfortably live with after all your mandatory installs are done, then partition the rest of the HDD to D:\. I have EASILY managed to have every one of my Ten+ PCs run perfectly within 10gb, however as you know I am a software minimalist. Most people insist on using un-necessary bloatware.. you know.. like Office.. Razz so somewhere around 20-40gb would be more common.

Finally.. Ubuntu an option? It is well worth considering. For serious. Just a thought.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website Yahoo Messenger
StorminNorman
Gillard-chan

PostPosted: Thu May 08, 2008 11:30 am    Post subject: Reply with quote
Well, if you insist on running a seven-year-old OS on hardware that recent, you're going to run into problems.

Vista is a better choice because it will better handle the hardware you're running it on, as you've already discovered.

if you insist on running XP, then I recommend downgrading the hardware (a single-core, non-hyperthreaded CPU will be a good starting point) to something XP can handle. All of your problems with XP are due to the hardware being too new for the OS.

As I said, use Vista. It's Better.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website MSN Messenger
^Kat^cassidy^
Misa Amane

PostPosted: Thu May 08, 2008 11:14 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote
StorminNorman wrote:
Well, if you insist on running a seven-year-old OS on hardware that recent, you're going to run into problems.

Normally I would consider this to be a perfectly valid point. Unfortunately we are also running some "seven year old" hardware, namely a 56k modem. Vista (apparently) has issues with them. What happens is: If we do anything "heavier" than playing music whilst browsing then Vista lets the modem lose power and, thus, we get disconnected from the internet. This happens because (apparently) everybody has some form of always-on broadband internet and nobody uses dial-up modems anymore.....

<edit> The modem issue was one of our main reasons for switching back to XP in the first place. However, we then got a heap of "Generic Host Processes For Win32 has encountered an error and must close. We apologize for any inconvenience." messages, each one resulting in our being disconnected from the internet, usually in under half an hour of connecting in the first place. Going back to Windows Vista "fixed" this problem but led to the other problem of being disconnected during "heavy" use. In the end, Windows XP with Service Pack 3 has fixed the Generic Host Processes errors but has resulted in the computer running slowly.

Furthermore, the other computer (also a dual core) runs perfectly fine under Windows XP even though it is a dual-core processor, one year newer than the one on the computer that's running slowly. Incidentally, the computer that's running slowly has a clock speed of 800MHzper core MORE than the one running perfectly! Stats follow.....

THE WORKHORSE COMPUTER (Jan 2008)
Custom built by a local computer shop
Asrock ConRoe 945G-DVI motherboard
Intel Core2Duo 2.1GHz/core
2GB RAM
1x160GB WD SATA2 Hard drive (C:\)
1x400GB Samsung SATA2 hard drive (D:\)
Pioneer DVR-115 burner
(and the old CD-RW drive from the Acer too)

.....Mind you, the story of what went wrong with Vista on here followed by how difficult it was to get ANY operating system installed on it after Vista went haywire would be a thread in itself! Suffice to say that HeDanny's suggestion was actually applied to the Workhorse just a couple of weeks ago, so it may be the best thing we can do for the Entertainment computer as well. Mind you, I've yet to partition the C:\ drive on the Workhorse. I've thought about it and then decided not to bother as it's working perfectly.

In closing: Computers are great when they work fine, but when they stuff up, they really stuff up!
CG
Yukino Miyazawa

PostPosted: Fri May 09, 2008 1:35 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote
Perhaps you could dual-boot? So you can use XP for some things and Vista for the rest. I'm thinking about doing that when we get Vista.

Also, source on the 56k modem problems under Vista? I have a 56k modem myself and I don't wanna have issues with it in Vista seeing as I'll be using Vista mostly. Confused
HimuraBattousai
Kagami Yagami

PostPosted: Fri May 09, 2008 1:44 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote
I'm assuming the 56k modem in question is either onboard, a PCI card or USB, in which case it's a piece of crap that gets the PC to do all the work. If you can, see if you can find a proper 56k modem that plugs into the serial port. That should clear up the modem-related problems.

Assuming there's drivers for it that work in Vista, that is...
StorminNorman
Gillard-chan

PostPosted: Fri May 09, 2008 1:57 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote
^Kat^cassidy^ wrote:
Vista (apparently) has issues with them. What happens is: If we do anything "heavier" than playing music whilst browsing then Vista lets the modem lose power and, thus, we get disconnected from the internet. This happens because (apparently) everybody has some form of always-on broadband internet and nobody uses dial-up modems anymore.....

Actually it's happening because the driver for your modem is buggy, or the modem itself has buggy hardware. Try updating the driver or (if possible) the firmware on the modem.

Quote:
However, we then got a heap of "Generic Host Processes For Win32 has encountered an error and must close. We apologize for any inconvenience." messages, each one resulting in our being disconnected from the internet, usually in under half an hour of connecting in the first place

Usually this error means you've got faulty hardware somewhere. Whether or not it's the modem, the USB host controller that the modem connects to, or even dodgy RAM would be hard to determine.

Quote:
Mind you, I've yet to partition the C:\ drive on the Workhorse. I've thought about it and then decided not to bother as it's working perfectly.

Partitioning is snake oil, to be honest. If the HDD dies, you'll still lose all the partitions on it. XP and Vista are both modern operating systems capable of effectively handling very large partitions, and there's no real need to complicate matters. Partition is only really useful if you genuinely want to limit the size a particular area of the filesystem can grow to, and even then you're probably either using Unix where everything is a single filesystem or "union" mounts in Windows.

(Unless, for some unfathomable reason, you're using FAT32 instead of NTFS. In that case partition the hell out of the drive because FAT32 is a horrible, horrible excuse for a filesystem and you deserve all the pain it brings merely for using it on a hard drive. In fact, I believe Vista will not even boot from FAT32.)

Just a final thought: It's very rare to encounter a computer that's having many of the problems you describe where the software is causing a problem. I really think you may have some bad hardware in there. Even a brand new computer can sometimes experience hardware problems (in fact, it's quite common: Hardware failure rates tend to follow a 'bathtub curve'), so don't be surprised if you have to return the computer to get it fixed under warranty.

The reason you're seeing different problems with XP and Vista is because the way they deal with hardware is dramatically different. Vista is also a lot "stricter" on how it deals with poor/buggy drivers, as well as bad software in general. This is why people perceive Vista to be "worse" than XP: When bad software stops working, people don't blame the software, they blame Windows.
^Kat^cassidy^
Misa Amane

PostPosted: Sat May 10, 2008 3:15 am    Post subject: Reply with quote
Oh no I hope it's not more bad hardware! We've already replaced the motherboard and RAM (which did increase the performance massively).

The main culprits could be:
Modem (actually, the disconnect during heavy use seems to have been fixed with our current Vista install)
the CPU
the 250GB SATA HDD (all the others have been swapped out and made no difference)
the PSU (long suspected as the culprit of our previous problems until we replaced the RAM/Motherboard)

CruelGenesis wrote:
Perhaps you could dual-boot? So you can use XP for some things and Vista for the rest.

Remember how I mentioned Vista went haywire on the Workhorse a few posts ago? Unfortunately, it was because I was trying to set the computer up for a dual-boot between XP and Vista. In all honesty, I think I screwed up or had bad instructions (off the net, of course) because dual-booting IS possible. If you successfully get your system to dual boot, PLEASE tell me how you did it or link me to a site containing the instructions you used if you obtained them from the internet.

By the way, I don't really like Vista but, having Windows needs permission to continue [Allow][Cancel] said that, I can see what they were trying to achieve with it. I think the next version of Windows will be the best one ever if they continue to build from the grounWindows needs your permission to continue [Allow][Cancel]dwork they've done during Vista's development....and if they get rid of that stupid "permissions" thing!
CG
Yukino Miyazawa

PostPosted: Sat May 10, 2008 4:31 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote
^Kat^cassidy^ wrote:
Remember how I mentioned Vista went haywire on the Workhorse a few posts ago? Unfortunately, it was because I was trying to set the computer up for a dual-boot between XP and Vista. In all honesty, I think I screwed up or had bad instructions (off the net, of course) because dual-booting IS possible. If you successfully get your system to dual boot, PLEASE tell me how you did it or link me to a site containing the instructions you used if you obtained them from the internet.

As I understand it, you just create two partitions and install one operating system onto one and the other on the other partition. That's how we did it at TAFE but I'm not entirely sure with Vista. 'spose I'll be finding out when I get it sometime this week...

In other news, anybody thinking about upgrading to Vista absolutely must use the Windows Vista Upgrade Advisor. It's pretty neat in that it scans your computer and tells you which version of Vista would best suit your needs and whether your hardware/software is compatible or not. I gave it a go yesterday and I've only got a couple of programs I don't really use that are incompatible and a couple of old network cards that it didn't have any info on ('cept one of them said on the site that it works while the other card is no longer on their site Razz)
^Kat^cassidy^
Misa Amane

PostPosted: Tue May 13, 2008 2:43 am    Post subject: Reply with quote
WARNING! If you use Nero to burn CD's/DVD's under XP and you are considering changing to Vista, be advised that ALL versions of Nero prior to version 8 do not work on Vista! They will not even install! So if you make the switch, prepare to upgrade.
Mad Anime Fan
Banned

PostPosted: Sun May 25, 2008 6:32 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote
Bumping this thread up for a reason.
Namely methinks something is wrong with the chord for the power adaptor to the laptop.
It's a Toshiba model, lately the chord seems to have been mucking around a bit.
Namely even when it's plugged in and the power is on and the bits are in properly it aint charging the battery.
When the laptop is off but with the power on, the battery is charging.
When I tried booting it up without the battery it'ld cut out implying maybe something is wrong maybe with something else.

Anyone have any ideas or advice for this?

Edit: the model of laptop is a Toshiba Satellite A75-S211 model laptop.
I have been poking around on ebay, haven't found any with any Australian sockets to them most seem to be round ones.
So not sure if I will have luck or not.

My brother is taking the actual chord and power adaptor to a Toshiba servicing store tommorrow to see if they have a new chord and adapter or can order them in.
If not ebay is my back up option for buying a new chord and adaptor off there.

Last edited by Mad Anime Fan on Thu Aug 14, 2008 8:01 pm; edited 1 time in total
Shinji 3.141
Tina Foster

PostPosted: Sun May 25, 2008 9:00 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote
I had the same thing happen to my laptop a few months ago; bad news is that something inside required resoldering. I was lucky that my brother works in a computer shop and could fix it for me free; if it is the same thing you’ll need to take it to a computer shop to be fixed.

Play Star Trek Online or Star Citizen? The Ausmonauts!
Mad Anime Fan
Banned

PostPosted: Sun May 25, 2008 11:27 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote
Yeah if it's not the chord might have to take the laptop down to the store to get something fixed.
StorminNorman
Gillard-chan

PostPosted: Mon May 26, 2008 9:26 am    Post subject: Reply with quote
^Kat^cassidy^ wrote:
By the way, I don't really like Vista but, having Windows needs permission to continue [Allow][Cancel] said that, I can see what they were trying to achieve with it. I think the next version of Windows will be the best one ever if they continue to build from the grounWindows needs your permission to continue [Allow][Cancel]dwork they've done during Vista's development....and if they get rid of that stupid "permissions" thing!

...And go back to the single-user security-free days of Windows 95/98?

No thanks.

(PROTIP: Well-written programs should never ask for elevated privileges in day-to-day usage. Stop using bad software.)
speedfreek19
Itsuki Koizumi

PostPosted: Mon May 26, 2008 9:42 am    Post subject: Reply with quote
Ok, so how much would Windows XP home or Media centre cost nowadays to buy?

Reason i ask is i want to use windows on the mac and seems the best option is to bootcamp it as i want to play games, seeing as virtualisation of windows doesnt really work that well on that front, crossover games has limited compatibility.
I have Windows install disc but seeing as its OEM and can only be installed on one computer at a time (legitly that is) and its SP1 (though i can slipstream an Sp2 disc up)

Another question, if i eventually decide to nuke Windows from the mac, would i be able to get rid of the partition that was needed for windows? Do i have to increase the partition if i want to have more storage or can that just be stored on the "mac" partition?
Mad Anime Fan
Banned

PostPosted: Wed May 28, 2008 10:48 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote
In a new unrelated development.
No matter the majority of things i have tried I corrected the stupid clock, I updated Windows with some updates and numerous other things.
I can NOT get windows live messenger to work it is becoming more evil if you ask me.
I know it works on the laptop fine though.
If the laptop had any battery power or any source of power it would be able to function.

Error code: 80048820 Extended Error code: 80048412
CreepC
Kenshin Himura

PostPosted: Thu May 29, 2008 11:22 am    Post subject: Reply with quote
http://messengersays.blogspot.com/2007/09/80048820-80048412-error-windows-live.html

Quite an easy fix actually. If you are using VistaX64 and still cannot sign in then there is another solution. which I will post when I get home.
Mad Anime Fan
Banned

PostPosted: Sun Jun 01, 2008 3:36 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote
Well it's working and it wasn't due to that fix, just the computer clock going weird due to the dying batteries wich stuffs up the date and thus makes MSN not able to sign in.
Seems to be better off now.
redacidman
Mayuko Chigasaki

PostPosted: Sun Jun 01, 2008 11:33 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote
Kat my suggestion to would to install a smaller Hdd to run the OS on it, bogging down the OS drive is not the best thing to do..

drivers and hardware are the common causes for bsod's..
Soul Master Kaze
Shinji Ikari

PostPosted: Mon Jun 02, 2008 10:49 am    Post subject: Reply with quote
CruelGenesis wrote:
As I understand it, you just create two partitions and install one operating system onto one and the other on the other partition. That's how we did it at TAFE but I'm not entirely sure with Vista. 'spose I'll be finding out when I get it sometime this week...

Sorry to quote something this old, but I can say from experience that that doesn't work if Vista is the first operating system on the computer. The guy who lives downstairs from me spent many many hours trying to do just that, and kept having the XP installation disc grey out the 'Install XP' option, because Vista thought that XP was inferior to it.

Then he gave up and we went drinking. Razz
Mad Anime Fan
Banned

PostPosted: Mon Jun 16, 2008 2:07 am    Post subject: Reply with quote
Ok update on laptop situation I put it in to a shop last week on Wednesday told him what I could even gave him a small demo of what is wrong and stuff.
Phoned him back Friday hasn't got exact cost yet, but he said might be a few hundred dollars or so, he'll be able to tell me tommorrow.
If don't hear from him I'll phone him most likely.
black_ops
Banned

PostPosted: Mon Jun 16, 2008 8:15 am    Post subject: Reply with quote
As for your monitor issue Creep, which is your dominate monitor, as some graphics cards don't handle dual monitor setups outside the OS you use, your dominate monitor should fire up with any secondary monitor you have that will fire up as soon as OS loads... Edit: it's good you found the problem creep, though as what i just said can also be applicable if problem happens again...

I have yet to a bios so far that supports dual monitor on boot up..

Kat go to your local pc store and see if they a vista compliant 56k modem, though I can't understand why you would be even using a 56k modem in this day and age...

as for the slow down what is running on start up on xp...

sounds like the firewall hasn't finished doing a program check to what program require a internet access, any security suite that keeps asking for authorization means that the program hasn't been certified for use..

how many user accounts are you using Kat??? and what authorization do they have...
speedfreek19
Itsuki Koizumi

PostPosted: Mon Jun 16, 2008 8:38 am    Post subject: Reply with quote
black_ops wrote:
though I can't understand why you would be even using a 56k modem in this day and age...

Maybe lives in a location where ADSL isn't easily available?
Soul Master Kaze
Shinji Ikari

PostPosted: Sun Jun 22, 2008 5:22 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote
I've got a minor problem.

My C: drive keeps filling up. Not with anything in particular, mind. I'll leave the computer running overnight with a certain program running, and the C: drive will be completely full by the time I wake up. The program itself isn't downloading to the C: drive, it's downloading to the second partition. And, as you may imagine, the computer doesn't like having no free space at all.

Any ideas what it might be, or how I can fix it? (Note that 'not running the program' is NOT a viable solution)

EDIT: It's been doing it even when the application hasn't been running, leading me to believe that the running of the application is completely unrelated.

EDIT 2: Don't mind me, I took the old-fashioned advice of the IT Crowd, 'turning it off and on again', and my 3.5GB of hard drive space that had vanished into the nether appeared again, just like that.
black_ops
Banned

PostPosted: Mon Jun 23, 2008 1:31 am    Post subject: Reply with quote
soul list all the programs running on here or in pm, either way...

when saving files that aren't related to OS, Office or utility suits for hardware it always pay to set the save parameters to another hdd, that way you don't bog down the OS hdd..

Kat you need to learn when going into a new OS not every device you have will work as when that product was likely fazed out, so the last OS that hardware will work on was likely to the last OS to be installed on that system, which in your case was xp, applying vista to the system while was great at the time you did it..

In some cases you will need to do minor upgrades to other hardware to have vista support on them, in your case if you wish to vista on that machine in future you will need to replace with hardware that is compliant with vista...

Last edited by black_ops on Mon Jun 23, 2008 1:46 am; edited 1 time in total
Mad Anime Fan
Banned

PostPosted: Mon Jun 23, 2008 1:32 am    Post subject: Reply with quote
Well should've updated sooner but laptop is currently being fixed or near fixed should be ready this week and it'll cost $253 when I got told the cost, wich isn't too bad in the end really.
HeDanny
Grumpy Old Man

PostPosted: Fri Jul 04, 2008 2:10 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote
Anyone know how to run old 4x3 games and not have them stretch to fill the widescreen monitor?
Kero-chan
Priss Asagiri

PostPosted: Fri Jul 04, 2008 4:34 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote
Does the machine running the game have an option to specify the display device?
speedfreek19
Itsuki Koizumi

PostPosted: Sun Jul 20, 2008 7:00 am    Post subject: Reply with quote
Macnerds HALP Me!

Basically our iMac will not power on apart from hearing the disc drive (or hard drive or both ii dont really know) spin up for a few seconds.

Pressing the power button does nothing, you have to hold down the power button for it to do as above and then nothing at all.
Checked power plug at both ends and also disconnect everything bar power plug from the mac and then attempted to power it on and still same results.

I don't know what happened between the time it was on last to when it was switched off as i was asleep but as it stands its half dead

Any possible issue that could cause it or would we just be better off calling w here we bought it from and see what they say?

EDIT: Nevermind

Well it's "fixed" now

hit the power button and it turned on o.O
Mad Anime Fan
Banned

PostPosted: Sun Jul 20, 2008 11:49 am    Post subject: Reply with quote
After being fixed before, now my same laptop has a new problem as in the last day or so the screen is practically dying.
It's going to be going back down to the shop again....blah
Mad Anime Fan
Banned

PostPosted: Sat Aug 09, 2008 11:57 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote
Decided to bump this thread up for a reason.
I am seriously going to consider getting a new laptop in future.
Can anyone recommend some good, durable, long lasting brands of laptops?

And I am NOT getting a Toshiba again anytime in future Razz
HimuraBattousai
Kagami Yagami

PostPosted: Sun Aug 10, 2008 12:26 am    Post subject: Reply with quote
Well, personally I swear by Apple laptops.
HeDanny
Grumpy Old Man

PostPosted: Sun Aug 10, 2008 3:01 am    Post subject: Reply with quote
Everyone I know who has the apple things (iNote? iBook? iDunno?) inclusing my sister, who hates all things PC (cos she can't live without em, but can never get em to work) loves them thier cute little colored rectangle o luv.

I have never used one, and having no experience with Apple at all (Save playing the Fr Who game bakc in the day of the IIe) I can not personally recommend, or warn against.

I am surprised about your TOSHIBA not being all that. Still, it has been over a decade since my uni days, and the IBM/Toshi feuds. It seems most people like Levano (IBM) and ASUS these days. My Laptop is a 2 year old Compaq (HP) and apart from seriously needing some more RAM (512 is simply not enough anymore.. anyone got any spare DDR SODIMMs??) it has performed flawlessly since the day I bought it.

What sort of Laptop are you after? Cos those new "NetBook" machines look the stuff! I want (not need... want) one myself but can't decide which one. they all have pros and cons. heh. It seems the Wind is the best overall right now, but the small Res puts me off. the HP has proper res panel, so there is no reason at all why the others cant as well.
Mad Anime Fan
Banned

PostPosted: Sun Aug 10, 2008 10:26 am    Post subject: Reply with quote
I am not interested in laptops that are under the Apple brand wich have a different way of runing and don't use Windows XP ect.
So rule them off the list.
I am just after something that can meet my needs of being a decent machine and can live a decently long life without problems.
In other words a reliable, durable good brand of laptop.

One of my friends recommended Dell, but I still need more info as of yet.
StorminNorman
Gillard-chan

PostPosted: Sun Aug 10, 2008 10:45 am    Post subject: Reply with quote
You can run XP on a Mac.

For "real" PC laptops, though, I recommend Toshibas. Swear by them, even.

Dells are shoddy piles of crap, in my experience.
Mad Anime Fan
Banned

PostPosted: Sun Aug 10, 2008 10:53 am    Post subject: Reply with quote
StorminNorman wrote:
You can run XP on a Mac.

For "real" PC laptops, though, I recommend Toshibas. Swear by them, even.

Dells are shoddy piles of crap, in my experience.
My experience with my noted Toshiba model has been crap.
Even a mate of mine has said same thing and go for a Dell or other brand of some sort.
speedfreek19
Itsuki Koizumi

PostPosted: Sun Aug 10, 2008 11:54 am    Post subject: Reply with quote
An Eee PC! Razz
HimuraBattousai
Kagami Yagami

PostPosted: Sun Aug 10, 2008 12:19 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote
Mad Anime Fan wrote:
I am not interested in laptops that are under the Apple brand wich have a different way of runing and don't use Windows XP ect.
So rule them off the list.

You can install Windows XP on modern Apple machines. Have been able to for a couple of years now.

Mad Anime Fan wrote:
I am just after something that can meet my needs of being a decent machine and can live a decently long life without problems.
In other words a reliable, durable good brand of laptop.

Depending on exactly what you define "a decent machine" as, that's exactly what you'll get with an Apple. I've had my iBook for two and a half years now, and it's seen daily use in almost all that time, has suffered all kinds of abuse and I've had no problems with the laptop itself.

I have had to replace the battery once, but no matter what you buy, sooner or later the battery life is going to go to crap. I have also needed to replace the AC adapter a few times, but they fixed the connector with the first line of Intel-based MacBooks, so you'll never have that problem.

Page 5 of 29

Jump to: