Usergroups  ·  Register ·    Profile  ·  Log in to check your private messages  ·   Log in     

Street Fighter: The Legend of Chun-Li

Goto page 1, 2  Next
Street Fighter: The Legend of Chun-Li
Author
Kuu

PostPosted: Tue May 27, 2008 9:26 pm    Post subject: Street Fighter: The Legend of Chun-Li Reply with quote
Quote:
Street Fighter: The Legend of Chun-Li is an upcoming film based on the Street Fighter series of video games. It follows the quest of Street Fighter character Chun-Li, who will be portrayed by Smallville star Kristin Kreuk.[1] The film co-stars Neal McDonough as M. Bison, Chris Klein as Charlie, Michael Clarke Duncan as Balrog, Black Eyed Peas singer Taboo as Vega. Rick Yune was originally cast as Gen but has been replaced by Robin Shou.[2] The film is scheduled for release in 2009.

Jean-Claude Van Damme, who played Guile in the 1994 live-action Street Fighter film, stated that he was approached and offered a part in this movie. He turned it down because, according to him, he is now being careful in choosing film roles.

Quote:
Cast
Kristin Kreuk as Chun-Li
Neal McDonough as M. Bison
Chris Klein as Charlie Nash
Michael Clarke Duncan as Balrog
Taboo as Vega
Robin Shou as Gen
Moon Bloodgood as Det. Maya Sunee

El^Presidente
Nene Romanova

PostPosted: Tue May 27, 2008 9:33 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Chun Li.
StorminNorman
Gillard-chan

PostPosted: Tue May 27, 2008 10:01 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote
/wrists
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website MSN Messenger
speedfreek19
Itsuki Koizumi

PostPosted: Wed May 28, 2008 4:45 am    Post subject: Reply with quote
as hawt and as much as i like her, i don't think that's the best choice they could of come up with *sigh* well it could be worse i guess
StorminNorman
Gillard-chan

PostPosted: Wed May 28, 2008 10:15 am    Post subject: Reply with quote
Yeah, they could have got Jeanne-Claude Van Damme to play Guile...

In unrelated news, Moon Bloodgood is about the best name for a human being ever.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website MSN Messenger
El^Presidente
Nene Romanova

PostPosted: Wed May 28, 2008 10:16 am    Post subject: Reply with quote
The name Moon Bloodgood fills me with an intolerable rage.
HimuraBattousai
Kagami Yagami

PostPosted: Wed May 28, 2008 10:28 am    Post subject: Reply with quote
StorminNorman wrote:
In unrelated news, Moon Bloodgood is about the best name for a human being ever.

Right up there with Doctor Raven Darktalon Blood.
Darth Tallis
Van Fanel

PostPosted: Wed May 28, 2008 10:45 am    Post subject: Reply with quote
speedfreek19 wrote:
as hawt and as much as i like her, i don't think that's the best choice they could of come up with *sigh* well it could be worse i guess

Agreed! They could have cast Shia LaBoeuf as Chun-Li..

Razz

Yes. I am trully this twisted. Razz Smile
speedfreek19
Itsuki Koizumi

PostPosted: Wed May 28, 2008 12:12 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote
Laughing

looks like he would need some surgery too Razz
Schmavid
Eikichi Onizuka

PostPosted: Wed May 28, 2008 3:18 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote
speedfreek19 wrote:
Laughing

looks like he would need some surgery too Razz

Only some facial hair removal and an acting ability transplant. Razz
Mr Waffle
TEH WAFFLES!!11!

PostPosted: Wed May 28, 2008 10:46 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote
StorminNorman wrote:
Yeah, they could have got Jeanne-Claude Van Damme to play Guile...

You say that like it's a bad thing.
Schmavid
Eikichi Onizuka

PostPosted: Thu May 29, 2008 12:31 am    Post subject: Reply with quote
As an adult I have forgotten how enjoyable the original Street Fighter was as a kid. Despite how stupid it was/is I still love it.
Darth Tallis
Van Fanel

PostPosted: Sat May 31, 2008 12:05 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote
I was in High School when I saw the original movie, and even then I thought it was pretty bad. I remember a game of it was made, which was every bit as bad.
anime_queen
Li Syaoran

PostPosted: Sat May 31, 2008 4:29 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote
Schmavid wrote:
As an adult I have forgotten how enjoyable the original Street Fighter was as a kid. Despite how stupid it was/is I still love it.

Are you referring to the Live-action adaption or the Animated movies? Because the animated movies are heaps cool compared to the live-action.
Darth Tallis
Van Fanel

PostPosted: Sat May 31, 2008 4:30 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote
Amen to that.
StorminNorman
Gillard-chan

PostPosted: Sat May 31, 2008 7:35 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote
Mr Waffle wrote:
[..]You say that like it's a bad thing.

Your implication that Street Fighter: The Movie was any good confuses and infuriates me!
anime_queen
Li Syaoran

PostPosted: Sat May 31, 2008 7:57 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote
Kristin Kreuk is anything but masculine...she is pretty though. Does she know martial arts or will she just be in the movie for the purpose of another ass and boobage showdown?
El^Presidente
Nene Romanova

PostPosted: Sat May 31, 2008 8:23 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote
I had an enjoyable experience watching it.
HeDanny
Grumpy Old Man

PostPosted: Sat May 31, 2008 8:31 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote
ok, I a ma little confused. (as usual). That cute girl up there.. that is the actress playing Chun-Li? I thought Chun-Li was Chineese? Why isnt it, like, I dunno. Shu Xi, or someone? Why that quite attractive, yet very not chineese girl?

Who or what is a Moon Bloodgood? Should I care?

Personally I thought the VanDamme movie was crap, but so what? It entertained me and that is what matters in the end isnt it? Then again, I have never played the games so...

also.. Shop of Shia = ROFL XD
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website Yahoo Messenger
madmangohan
Noooooooooooooooo

PostPosted: Sun Jun 01, 2008 10:05 am    Post subject: Reply with quote
Quote:
Jean-Claude Van Damme, who played Guile in the 1994 live-action Street Fighter film, stated that he was approached and offered a part in this movie. He turned it down because, according to him, he is now being careful in choosing film roles.

Street Fighter certainly left its mark with him.
...although, him as Nash :/

...this guy should have been Guile

...and my nomination for Chun-Li

..yeah, thats Jackie Chan

Anime News Network Australia
StorminNorman
Gillard-chan

PostPosted: Sun Jun 01, 2008 12:53 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote
That whole sequence from City Hunter is better than any Street Fighter movie could ever hope to be.
HimuraBattousai
Kagami Yagami

PostPosted: Sun Jun 01, 2008 1:21 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote
StorminNorman wrote:
That whole sequence from City Hunter is better than any Street Fighter movie could ever hope to be.

It's true. It really is.
Jimbo
Kuu

PostPosted: Sun Jun 01, 2008 2:32 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote
I watch it for a good laugh why they trying to make an other one when the first one failed big time. Yes nothing cant beat Jackie chan as chun li thats a win.
~shinigami~
Shana

PostPosted: Sun Jun 01, 2008 2:37 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote
How'd they get Jackie Chan's face to look so much like a white guy?
anime_queen
Li Syaoran

PostPosted: Sun Jun 01, 2008 4:14 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote
~shinigami~ wrote:
How'd they get Jackie Chan's face to look so much like a white guy?

Um...What are you talking about?
That screen shot of chan makes him look; nothing like a white guy.

redacidman
Mayuko Chigasaki

PostPosted: Sun Jun 01, 2008 11:04 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote
Lighting would be my guess queenie what he was referring too..

Unfortunately Raoul Julia will not be reprising his role in this movie as not long after the 1st movie ended he passed away...

The girl that's going to act as chun li, would be a bad move for her as an actress as she don't look chinese enough to be pass off as an asian character another Hollywood flop to hit out shores...

If the 1st SF movie had of had more martial arts actors and kind of followed the original storyline plot from either the anime movie or tv series of even better the game then I believe the 1st movie wouldn't have been as a big a flop as it was...
El^Presidente
Nene Romanova

PostPosted: Mon Jun 02, 2008 9:21 am    Post subject: Reply with quote
redacidman wrote:
The girl that's going to act as chun li, would be a bad move for her as an actress as she don't look chinese enough to be pass off as an asian character another Hollywood flop to hit out shores...

You don't have to be asian to make a movie
^Kat^cassidy^
Misa Amane

PostPosted: Mon Jun 02, 2008 10:16 am    Post subject: Reply with quote
You know that David Carradine was supposedly Chinese in the TV series of "Kung Fu" and the only reason they went with him was because he left the best impression. The story goes that on the way out of the audition he did a high kick above the door of the producer's office and left a footprint there. Yeah, yeah, I know.... [Citation needed] I read it in a book about the series, but I forget the name of that book.

That bit in "City Hunter" makes me laugh so much, but it was very well done and hit the mark perfectly!

I wish Jackie Chan and Chuck Norris would make a movie together, but that's a topic for another thread.....
redacidman
Mayuko Chigasaki

PostPosted: Tue Jun 03, 2008 6:11 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote
The truth was David Carradine looked more western for the kung fu series, that is the real reason why he chosen though no book will tell you that..

that's racism for you...
Mangaman
Magical Girl

PostPosted: Wed Jun 04, 2008 9:03 am    Post subject: Reply with quote
Not sure about that kicking story - I'd read in one of the Bruce Lee bios I have at home that he knew some judo and that was about it. Kinda like how Michael "American Ninja" Dudikofffffff's (I think Razz) skills as demonstrated in the aforementioned movie was his ability to roll around in every action scene, and nothing to do with ninjutstu.

I reckon Jeff Speaksman should get some kind of role in the SF movie (along with Chuck Norris!!), the man's kempo and escrima skills are amazing; Perfect Weapon *so* needs a DVD release, it's one of the few 80s Western martial arts flicks that's actually not too shabby and has some extremely good fight scenes for a Hollywood flick.

-Mangaman-
HeDanny
Grumpy Old Man

PostPosted: Wed Jun 04, 2008 6:03 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote
^Kat^cassidy^ wrote:
You know that David Carradine was supposedly Chinese in the TV series of "Kung Fu" ...

Half Chinese, Half American. It was pretty significant as his American Blood was what almost did not get him accepted into Shaolin, and then when he went on the run it was his American blood that sent him to America. Most of the second and third series he spent looking for his American family if I remember correctly, and his brother, an apple pie honest as earth cowboy, was in a lot of the later episodes. Of course, I could be remembering it totally wrong. I have been known to do that. *cough*

The show has been out on DVD for years. Series 3 I think it was took forever to come out here and that always put me off, then by the time the whole thing was available I was too used to putting it off for other things. I would lol/cry if I ever saw the show again and it was no where near as awesome as I remember. That seems to happen a lot. *sigh*

In that Bruce Lee special that seems to pop up on SBS every other weekend, I am reasonably sure they mention that The show was written FOR Bruce, and he had quite some imput into shaping it. Ultimately the studio chickened out thinking that as awsome as bruce was, americans were not yet ready for a one man show staring "a foreigner".. so they opened autidions, found Carradine, and the rest is history.

Bruce himself took it all on the chin, we are lead to believe, as he and Carradine became quite close friends. Ultimately Bruce wrote the movie "the Silent Flute" specifically for Carradine, to show off his philosophies and talents in both acting and movement. The movie was co-written by James Coburn, Just for some more trivia. If you don't know who that is you dont watch enough bloke movies.

If you have not seen "the Silent Flute" keep an eye on ABC late late movie. This and "the Trap" turn up there several times a year. Both are fantastic movies and well worth seeing. The Trap being good because it is actually good, The Silent Flute being awesome cos its a massive turd. Very Happy
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website Yahoo Messenger
redacidman
Mayuko Chigasaki

PostPosted: Fri Jun 06, 2008 10:27 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote
the chick that's going to act as as chunli look's more native american than chinese in skin tone not to mention her eyes are all wrong...

As for Bruce lee, he was versed in wing chun by Yip Man, Jeet Kune Do borrows from alot of martial arts as well as western boxing, there would be alot of variation the style as Jeet Kune Do is a free form style martial art to a point as what works for you may not work for the next person..

Back in the 60's and 70's The studio system was more a whites only affair, when kung fu the tv series started Kieth was chosen as he appeared more white to the directors so he got the part, Bruce looked to Asian to fill the part I know this sounds stupid though it's the truth...

The other thing that hampered Bruce in Hollywood he was a relative unknown actor to the west, outside of Hong Kong no 1 knew about him..

I can't remember the movie names off the top of my head, the only true fight scene you will ever see was in 1 or 2 of Bruce lee's movies, 1 where lee fights Norris in Rome, The other was on set where Lee was challenged and Lee near on killed the guy...

Last edited by redacidman on Fri Jun 06, 2008 10:39 pm; edited 1 time in total
Schmavid
Eikichi Onizuka

PostPosted: Fri Jun 06, 2008 10:37 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote
redacidman wrote:
the chick that's going to act as as chunli look's more native american than chinese in skin tone not to mention her eyes are all wrong...

Um... How many Asian people have you actually seen, in real life or on film. She is easily of at least Asian decent and for most American's that is enough to identify someone as Chinese or Japanese. With that look though I'd say Chinese mixed with Anglo parents.
FireAza
Kiichi Goto

PostPosted: Fri Jun 06, 2008 10:47 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote
According to GameSpot, she's half Asian, the other half being Caucasian I would venture a guess. So they got it half right Razz
Schmavid
Eikichi Onizuka

PostPosted: Sat Jun 07, 2008 12:03 am    Post subject: Reply with quote
LOL, so that would mean that I am all correct, hehe. Although its tricky when you talk to Asian people and try to clasify them if you aren't sure. I know many Japanese people who hate to be thought of as being "part of the continent."

Which is really English like when you consider that they don't consider themselves to be part of Europe, lol.
El^Presidente
Nene Romanova

PostPosted: Sat Jun 07, 2008 12:19 am    Post subject: Reply with quote
Ok. Her dad is dutch, her mum is Chinese, she was born in Indonesia.

Her grandmother was born in Jamaica, and is Chinese.
Schmavid
Eikichi Onizuka

PostPosted: Sat Jun 07, 2008 12:37 am    Post subject: Reply with quote
Of course the most imporatant thing is that she looks the part.
FireAza
Kiichi Goto

PostPosted: Sat Jun 07, 2008 1:20 am    Post subject: Reply with quote
Really? She woulden't fool me into thinking she's Chinese. And with a face like that, I bet she doesn't have Chun-Li's crazy muscle thighs Razz
El^Presidente
Nene Romanova

PostPosted: Sat Jun 07, 2008 9:44 am    Post subject: Reply with quote
Darth Tallis wrote:

Razz

Her thighs aren't that muscley here.
FireAza
Kiichi Goto

PostPosted: Sat Jun 07, 2008 11:09 am    Post subject: Reply with quote
Clearly it's not official Capcom art then!

Grand Master 67
Tina Foster

PostPosted: Sat Jun 07, 2008 1:31 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote
yep

needs more thunderthighs.
f*** with 'im, and watch melburn rock to hells kitchn~
Wiltshire Sharp (feat Autism)
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website AIM Address MSN Messenger
EbonP
Misa Amane

PostPosted: Sat Jun 07, 2008 2:45 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote
HeDanny wrote:
Ultimately Bruce wrote the movie "the Silent Flute" specifically for Carradine, to show off his philosophies and talents in both acting and movement.

Actually Lee wrote the movie for himself. My understanding is he had trouble getting it made when he wanted to do it, then later on when he was a star and others wanted to make it he either wasn't interested or available.

David Carradine was picked for the part after Lee's death. The final film was apparently substantially different from the original version Lee worked on and is normally known as Circle of Iron. Also, it's rather awesome.
Kermi
resonance cascade

PostPosted: Sat Jun 07, 2008 3:22 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote
redacidman wrote:
the only true fight scene you will ever see was in 1 or 2 of Bruce lee's movies, 1 where lee fights Norris in Rome
I don't call it a true fight scene when one actor has to hold back to avoid making the other one look bad on camera.
Gydafud
Whinges too much

PostPosted: Sat Jun 07, 2008 4:17 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote
Norris had to hold back?
El^Presidente
Nene Romanova

PostPosted: Sat Jun 07, 2008 4:39 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote
would have killed him otherwise.
Grand Master 67
Tina Foster

PostPosted: Sat Jun 07, 2008 7:39 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote
lawl, I think alot of people misunderstood the meaning of the fight between norris and bruce, there wasn't really anything to prove. its obviously a movie. I remember this doco on bruce and he was trying to integrate his philosophies of fighting in his movies. This example was to be like water, don't be molded into styles and restrict yourself, you should change your strategy whenever need be. In the fight bruce chose to fight in a restrictive style, when he realized he couldn't beat the opponent, he switched stances to a more loose style .
f*** with 'im, and watch melburn rock to hells kitchn~
Wiltshire Sharp (feat Autism)
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website AIM Address MSN Messenger
Porunga
Akiha Tohno

PostPosted: Fri Jun 27, 2008 10:17 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote
I was naively disappointed to hear they'll be downplaying the costumes... I kinda had my heart set on a bulky red suit, shoulder pads, cape, and cap for "dictator."

Fun to actually come across Street Fighter discussions here!
Schmavid
Eikichi Onizuka

PostPosted: Fri Jun 27, 2008 10:45 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote
Porunga wrote:
I was naively disappointed to hear they'll be downplaying the costumes... I kinda had my heart set on a bulky red suit, shoulder pads, cape, and cap for "dictator."

Well they did Bison's costume in the Street Fighter movie about as well as they possibly could have to try and make it real like and it still seemed horrible.
Porunga
Akiha Tohno

PostPosted: Fri Jun 27, 2008 10:52 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote
Schmavid wrote:
Well they did Bison's costume in the Street Fighter movie about as well as they possibly could have to try and make it real like and it still seemed horrible.

Maybe it's just me, but vinyl isn't exactly my idea of making it "real like."

Should be interesting to see what they do come up with, though!
Schmavid
Eikichi Onizuka

PostPosted: Fri Jun 27, 2008 10:56 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote
Well it depends, maybe they were trying to set it in the 80's, lol.

But I'd like to see this one set more real like the superhero movies of late (Batman Begins, Dark Knight, Incredible Hulk) have been like.

Page 1 of 2

Jump to: