Usergroups  ·  Register ·    Profile  ·  Log in to check your private messages  ·   Log in     

Creating your own boxes for anime dvds - help and discussion

Creating your own boxes for anime dvds - help and discussion
Author
Itsuki Koizumi

PostPosted: Mon Jun 09, 2008 10:06 pm    Post subject: Creating your own boxes for anime dvds - help and discussion Reply with quote
Well i'm just wondering how would i exactly go about making my own dvd boxes much like collector boxes from various companies.

The aim of this is just merely to spruce up the collection and to make transportation of a bulk amount of dvds that bit easier. If i recall, there was a thread, or at the very least, someone who was making their own dvd slicks for one reason or another (what it was i forget)

after buying from a con and a few sales i have a decent amount of loose dvds in series so i wouldnt mind having something thats practical and that bit more aesthetically pleasing.

So what would be the best way to make a box similar to what you'd get when buying a collection. I gather it's some kind of cardboard with a layer for the print glued ontop of it?
As far as graphics go, i can manage that, its just the building process that i need a hand with, the best way to go about things and whatnot.

Something like this is fair game on the madboards yeah?
Nargun
Siegfried Kircheis

PostPosted: Mon Jun 09, 2008 10:34 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote
Examining a few of mine more closely... the scored edges appear to be the vertical back edges and the horizontal edges to the left; probably scored about half-way through and bent. The top appears to lap over the back and right side, but it's the reverse at the bottom. The inside isn't lined, it's just the cardboard. The outer wrapper's generally in one piece, applied to the right hand side, then wrapping to the top and bottom, then around the back to the left.

Subject to variations, but it's good enough. The rest you can measure yourself.
speedfreek19
Itsuki Koizumi

PostPosted: Mon Jun 09, 2008 11:01 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote
What kind of cardboard would be appropriate for something like this though?
redacidman
Mayuko Chigasaki

PostPosted: Tue Jun 10, 2008 3:36 am    Post subject: Reply with quote
1-2 mm thick
FireAza
Kiichi Goto

PostPosted: Tue Jun 10, 2008 9:35 am    Post subject: Re: Creating your own boxes for anime dvds - help and discus Reply with quote
speedfreek19 wrote:
If i recall, there was a thread, or at the very least, someone who was making their own dvd slicks for one reason or another (what it was i forget)

Yo.

I attempted this once (damn you Fox for selling Futurama season 2 disks separately then not making the box available!) and it's rather tricky. My only advice is don't bother with that printable sticky paper, it's print quality is terrible. Instead print on photo paper and stick that to the box with double-sided sticky paper.
speedfreek19
Itsuki Koizumi

PostPosted: Tue Jun 10, 2008 9:45 am    Post subject: Reply with quote
Yeah i was thinking what kind of paper to go over for the cover.

I'll have to figure out a template n such as well, though i was somewhat thinking of going wood then just line the inside and out with said sticky paper as Aza mentioned and then either make a proper print on photo paper or print off images on photo paper and sticky them

but in the end it'll come down to cost and what would be appropriate/have the right look

Though it' may just be easier to use cardboard and make that into a box (some form of glue to hold it together i guess) and go from there.

Only other thing that'll make things interesting is the whole reorganisation of my shelves =P but i'll come to that when i get there.
Nargun
Siegfried Kircheis

PostPosted: Tue Jun 10, 2008 10:20 am    Post subject: Reply with quote
speedfreek19 wrote:
Though it' may just be easier to use cardboard and make that into a box (some form of glue to hold it together i guess) and go from there.

As far as I could tell, madman boxes are held together by the outer colour wrapper; if not, it's probably some form of thin tape. Glue's not going to hold on edges. Hang on, I've got a book that has instructions on how to make chinese-style book boxes, I'll see what it says.

edit:
2mm board, held together with the cover materiel [fabric],seams glued with pva but otherwise starch paste. Looks straightforward enough.
speedfreek19
Itsuki Koizumi

PostPosted: Tue Jun 10, 2008 10:27 am    Post subject: Reply with quote
You wouldnt happen to be able have that in a guide or of the like, so i can print out and go about myself?
HimuraBattousai
Kagami Yagami

PostPosted: Tue Jun 10, 2008 10:31 am    Post subject: Reply with quote
Damn you speedfreek, now you've got me thinking about all the complete series as single discs I have...
redacidman
Mayuko Chigasaki

PostPosted: Wed Jun 11, 2008 1:47 am    Post subject: Reply with quote
you could always do a dvd slick and fatpack all your series... that might be a cheaper option than trying to build a box to store individual volumes in..
speedfreek19
Itsuki Koizumi

PostPosted: Wed Jun 11, 2008 9:57 am    Post subject: Reply with quote
That is one option but then i'll have all these useless cases and slicks and for the case of out of print stuff like Cardcaptor Sakura and Sailor moon, i'd like to keep them. While it is a good alternative, i like the individual artwork on each dvd slick but lets not have this box vs fatpack thing.

Plus i'd like to be creatively constructive for once Razz
HeDanny
Grumpy Old Man

PostPosted: Wed Jun 11, 2008 5:58 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote
I have tried to do this in the past. Many years ago when I first got the Sailor Moon DVDs, and then later when I got Love Hina Individuals off a friend. Nothing I did was particularly sucessul and I ended up binning the lot. The problem was in several areas.

First was getting the measurements of the Box correct, as it seemed impossible to get it "just right" (Hold the DVDs so they dont fall out, but not make it a PitA to get them out) when taking into consideration the glue, the pasted photo wrap, and the lining.

The second was how to actually stick the lining and wrap on successfully. Using wet glue was a terrible, terrible failure. Complete and utter sog out. Dry glues just did not seem to hold. Double Sided tape was slightly closer to sucessful, but it was impossible to straighten once on, so if you applied the wrap even a poofteenth of a beesdick crooked, you were screwed. Also, tape we quite difficult to avoid Air Hollows, and applying the actual tape itsel was a chore as allining each strip perfectly with the next was hair pullinly difficult. Not close enough and you created an air hollow, overlap even slightly, and you get a ridge in the applies wrap.

Being quite experienced with paper tole and decoupage I thought this would have been a lot easier, but I was quite wrong in that assumption. In the end nothing I did was to my satisfaction, if it worked at all, and it all ended up in the bin.

What I ultimately decided to do is just put the DVDs into multipacks and make my own DVD Slips. It was easy as pie, took only as long as you are willing to spend on getting the slip to look the way you like, and a hell of a lot cheaper.

As for the original DVD Slips, I suggest keeping them in a folio. It is quite neat to flick through to look at, and the plastic pages help protect them.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website Yahoo Messenger
speedfreek19
Itsuki Koizumi

PostPosted: Wed Jun 11, 2008 10:02 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote
There still is the whole issue with empty dvd cases, i mean its j ust creatin extra storage space needed though there is eBay i guess.

But really i'm more of someone who likes to display stuff so keeping the slicks on some kind of display is nice or to show off anyway.

Though after reading what you went through, i could always try some board type stuff and line it and just sand the edges down so its more of a smoother look but covering it is something i have yet to think about. Board i guess could end up being a tad expensive but if i spread it over time and say do one series box every so often i wont notice it as much, or buy in bulk type thing and cut it myself or something.
HeDanny
Grumpy Old Man

PostPosted: Thu Jun 12, 2008 3:45 am    Post subject: Reply with quote
speedfreek19 wrote:
There still is the whole issue with empty dvd cases, i mean its just creating extra storage space needed though there is eBay i guess.

Just throw them out. There is no need to keep empty cases. Ebay would not be worth the few cents someone might give you for them.
speedfreek19 wrote:
But really i'm more of someone who likes to display stuff so keeping the slicks on some kind of display is nice or to show off anyway.

Yep, that is why the folio is cool. You just flip through it like a picture book. Hand it to your mates to show em what you have etc. Its a better, "display" than keeping them inside a box on a shelf. You will only see the front facing side at any one time. It is "nicer" to flick through a book of slips than it is to start puling out boxes, puling out DVD, looking at the slip, then putting the DVDs back in the box and onto the shelf. Repeat ad infinitum for every series. With the Folio, you can keep a hell of a lot of Slips all in one really impressive book that is a lot easier to flick through. Smile

speedfreek19 wrote:
Though after reading what you went through, i could always try some board type stuff and line it and just sand the edges down so its more of a smoother look but covering it is something i have yet to think about. Board i guess could end up being a tad expensive but if i spread it over time and say do one series box every so often i wont notice it as much, or buy in bulk type thing and cut it myself or something.

Board is VERY fiddly to work with, as you can't simply cut it with scissors, Hobby Blade, or a paper guillotine. There is almost zero chance of getting the nice straight cuts you need by hand so all the edges mate up properly.

Also, unless you intend on actually using something like 6mm board, which would add significant bulk, weight, and cost, you will not get enough mating on the surfaces for any glue to firmly hold. This will lead you back to needing to Support all the mating edges by putting some sort of bounding around the outside (can't put it inside as it will foul on the DVDs when you try to slide them in and out) or they will just wobble apart.

I used to be a cabinet maker in a former life, and since 'retiring' I still work with wood an a regular basis as I renovate the house, so I am just a tad familliar with its uses, and its limitations.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website Yahoo Messenger
brocko
Lin Minmay

PostPosted: Fri Jun 13, 2008 9:10 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote
Or you could try making a steel case like this bloke here: http://idforums.net/index.php?showtopic=33831

That's if you're up for it though lol =P
speedfreek19
Itsuki Koizumi

PostPosted: Fri Jun 13, 2008 9:21 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote
That's so cool Very Happy

Though i don't think it'd be cheap for me to do it, or be easily accessible anyway but i may actually look into that :p
HimuraBattousai
Kagami Yagami

PostPosted: Fri Jun 13, 2008 9:27 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote
brocko wrote:
Or you could try making a steel case like this bloke here: http://idforums.net/index.php?showtopic=33831

Hmmm... that gives me ideas. Pity I'm too lazy to do much with said ideas.
Nargun
Siegfried Kircheis

PostPosted: Sat Jun 14, 2008 12:24 am    Post subject: Reply with quote
HimuraBattousai wrote:

I purchased a propane torch the other day, and dad wants to teach me how to braze.
coldfire
Pants on head crazy

PostPosted: Sat Jun 14, 2008 12:37 am    Post subject: Reply with quote
HimuraBattousai wrote:
[..]

hell if i was still at school i could make that, the metalwork rooms had magnetic sheet metal benders they rocked.
Even if their eyes are scorched.Even if their arms are writhing, they will never stop marching head,guided by the will'o the wisp.They will will their way and shoot at point-blak distance,the footsteps that have thrown life away, the trigger that brings death.,the 901 Anti-Tank-Trooper.
HimuraBattousai
Kagami Yagami

PostPosted: Sat Jun 14, 2008 9:59 am    Post subject: Reply with quote
My dad's probably got all the equipment I'd need in his garage.
black_ops
Banned

PostPosted: Sun Jun 15, 2008 6:58 am    Post subject: Reply with quote
Just remember if you ever get off the ground making your own boxes if you ever sell your collection I wouldn't advise selling them in the boxes you make as any pictures or artwork you use may be considered a breech of copywrite..

Good luck in your project I hope you do some good boxes made...
HimuraBattousai
Kagami Yagami

PostPosted: Sun Jun 15, 2008 12:46 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote
black_ops wrote:
if you ever sell your collection

Why would I want to do that? Especially if I care enough about the series to make a custom box for it.
speedfreek19
Itsuki Koizumi

PostPosted: Sun Jun 15, 2008 2:14 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote
If i ever was to sell (goddess forbid) any of my dvd, for the ones i did custom boxes, i'd keep them for myself as it's something i made (or had made) plus they always come in handy for other dvd transportation too.
HeDanny
Grumpy Old Man

PostPosted: Sun Jun 15, 2008 8:18 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote
brocko wrote:

Welcome Brocko.
Those Box Sets are fantastic. I would love to get some closer, more details photos of the edges, back etc just to see how well put together they are. I love my MadMad Tin Collections. Those are just as goot, possibly better *cough* and I love the plain powdercoat with the symbol and nothing else. Damn elegant, and unmistakable.

Been putting a bit more thought into making the boxes out of Wood, and I could do it if I had the propper power tools. Worked out a very neat, efficient way of maximizing the contact edges for structure. Best part, is once the template if finalised, I could make as many boxes and I wanted off the same template, altering only the width to hole the differeing numbers of Cases. Could only be as good as my own measuring abilities (above average heh) and how precise the equipment can be. That is the clincher right there. Most of my personal equipment is .. well.. "black and Decker", not Bosch or Makita, etc. Hmmm.

If I find a hole in my Renovations, Gaming, DVD, and Gaming time, I might just give it a go!
black_ops
Banned

PostPosted: Sun Jun 15, 2008 8:46 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote
I wouldn't sell my collections either
Nargun
Siegfried Kircheis

PostPosted: Sun Jun 15, 2008 11:02 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote
speedfreek19 wrote:
You wouldnt happen to be able have that in a guide or of the like, so i can print out and go about myself?

I missed this first time 'round... I got it from "Japanese book-binding: Instructions from a master craftsman", KKōjirrō Ikegami, ISBN 0-8348-0196-5 [Seriously, there are books on most things, in my house]. It's not a particularly rare book, I've seen it in a couple of uni libraries.
chippy
Minawa Andou

PostPosted: Tue Jun 17, 2008 9:13 am    Post subject: Reply with quote
hey speedfreek, what about making boxes in wood like the Basilisk limited? I looked over the one I got the other day and it doesnt look too hard to make. just need to make sure you get the right mesurements and it would make the boxs stand out compared to others

Page 1 of 1

Jump to: