Usergroups  ·  Register ·    Profile  ·  Log in to check your private messages  ·   Log in     

Fuel what does cost to fill up

Goto page 1, 2  Next
Fuel what does cost to fill up
Author
Hajime Saitou

PostPosted: Fri Jun 13, 2008 10:10 pm    Post subject: Fuel what does cost to fill up Reply with quote
Unleaded petrol and disesl are going up in price they are going hit $1.75 in coming weeks. Disesl is sitting at $1.80 what dose it cost for you fill up your car. and what driving habbit did you have change because the price rise.

In my case I had to change Jobs when was working back in Gawler I did 100kms in one day up and back to work I drive 05 lancer and at the prices now it cost my $60 to fill up. now working down in burtain and I do 60kms a day now.
garrethking
Kenshin Himura

PostPosted: Fri Jun 13, 2008 11:45 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote
Cost about $1.50s for unleaded here in QLD. Good thing i got a 4 cyclinder. Still, prices keep going up, but wages stay the same.
Soul Master Kaze
Shinji Ikari

PostPosted: Fri Jun 13, 2008 11:56 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote
About $20. I drive a motorbike, and I get about 300km out of a tank.

Fuel economy FTW.
Inniss 1428
Kagami Hiiragi

PostPosted: Sat Jun 14, 2008 1:04 am    Post subject: Reply with quote
$0. I have these wonderful things called legs... and a bike, not that I ever use it.

Sucks though, I can remember a time when fuel was $0.50/L, and that makes me feel olllllllllllllld.
Darth Tallis
Van Fanel

PostPosted: Sat Jun 14, 2008 9:23 am    Post subject: Reply with quote
I can remember a time when my Dad could drive into a service station, ask for ten dollars worth of petrol, and have practically a full tank to drive with. How times have changed.

The lowest here is $1.57 a litre, and that's with discount dockets from Woolworths.

Last edited by Darth Tallis on Sat Jun 14, 2008 10:01 am; edited 1 time in total
redacidman
Mayuko Chigasaki

PostPosted: Sat Jun 14, 2008 9:46 am    Post subject: Reply with quote
before long I can see us paying over $2.00 a litre, the only bonus with diesel you don't chew as much fuel as you do and did with leaded or unleaded vehicle..
George
Arumi Asahina

PostPosted: Sat Jun 14, 2008 10:12 am    Post subject: Reply with quote
Hope it gets more expensive. Less people on the road. I love high petrol prices.
Gouki
Vanilla H

PostPosted: Sat Jun 14, 2008 10:33 am    Post subject: Reply with quote
George wrote:
Hope it gets more expensive. Less people on the road. I love high petrol prices.

Way to show you have no clue.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website Yahoo Messenger MSN Messenger
Renton7
Mayuko Chigasaki

PostPosted: Sat Jun 14, 2008 10:33 am    Post subject: Reply with quote
Me just buying a new car, It's gonna be hard. I don't have a whole lot of places to go, all local. But still all the money I earn is going to petrol, rego, insurance and maintenance. In terms of petrol on my N14 Nissan Pulsar 1994, probably $40 and week and $60 for a full tank. Very Happy
Yomi Plushtoy
Megane-ko

PostPosted: Sat Jun 14, 2008 10:50 am    Post subject: Reply with quote
George wrote:

Ah yes, high petrol prices are great. All those people start driving less.

There is a little problem though. Everything you buy in shops needs to be delivered to the shop in the first place. By someone in a truck. Which needs petrol to go. Petrol which is now costing more money. Do I need to elaborate?
Inniss 1428
Kagami Hiiragi

PostPosted: Sat Jun 14, 2008 10:54 am    Post subject: Reply with quote
George wrote:

Ah yes, that must be why the opposition is objecting to fuel excises on the grounds of fuel price and consumption being mutually exclusive.
beardedgeek
Shana

PostPosted: Sat Jun 14, 2008 10:54 am    Post subject: Reply with quote
works out about 130+$ a tank for me , but i'm taking the train in every day so it's currently 20$ a fortnight for petrol

not looking foward to the flow ons that'll happen soon with a 20%+ increase in the costs of petrol for places that have alot of delivered goods etc.

the new interstate high speed train preposal has merits, but you need a 4 class system, goods and bogans class, economy , business and first to get people interested and it needs to be fast and reliable.
Soul Master Kaze
Shinji Ikari

PostPosted: Sat Jun 14, 2008 11:47 am    Post subject: Reply with quote
Yomi Plushtoy wrote:
There is a little problem though. Everything you buy in shops needs to be delivered to the shop in the first place. By someone in a truck. Which needs petrol to go. Petrol which is now costing more money. Do I need to elaborate?

See, there's this wonderful thing called a 'railway network'. It's been fairly neglected up until now, but I think that a well-maintained mass transport network would be more efficient in terms of fuel*. Sure, it's expensive to maintain, but if you're not maintaining roads as much, you've got the money to spend on rail.

*Yes, I am aware that diesel is more expensive than petrol, but it's cheaper overall. And let's leave the 'global warming' debate for another day.
Yomi Plushtoy
Megane-ko

PostPosted: Sat Jun 14, 2008 11:58 am    Post subject: Reply with quote
Soul Master Kaze wrote:
See, there's this wonderful thing called a 'railway network'.

I see, and this 'railway network' of yours, does it provide direct coverage to all retailers currently serviced by roads?
musk.stick
Lin Minmay

PostPosted: Sat Jun 14, 2008 12:12 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote
While I don't drive, walking for the win and all that, I've really noticed a dramatic increase in petrol prices over the last few weeks. $1.69 it was yesterday Confused I don't know how people can afford to drive at all
Inniss 1428
Kagami Hiiragi

PostPosted: Sat Jun 14, 2008 1:00 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote
Yomi Plushtoy wrote:
I see, and this 'railway network' of yours, does it provide direct coverage to all retailers currently serviced by roads?

It sure does! Just look at all those railway tracks leading straight into loading bays... oh, wait...
George
Arumi Asahina

PostPosted: Sat Jun 14, 2008 1:18 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote
Yomi Plushtoy wrote:
Ah yes, high petrol prices are great. All those people start driving less.

Go on the news and complain.
Smeg
Shana

PostPosted: Sat Jun 14, 2008 1:25 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote
$80 from empty to 3/4 Sad

$1.62L

"Don't give me any of that 'Star Trek' crap. It's too early in the morning." - Dave Lister
anime_queen
Li Syaoran

PostPosted: Sat Jun 14, 2008 3:06 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote
At $1.50L I can get about 11L worth of fuel for $20. Maybe, a little more...
I realise that some countries have it far worse then us but everything is becoming insanely expensive.
It's really not fair on families; especially to think about how they're going to afford fuel the next week.

Mr Waffle
TEH WAFFLES!!11!

PostPosted: Sat Jun 14, 2008 4:03 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote
My pay goes up every year to compensate for the increases in costs of living so it basically balances out. Unions <3

anime_queen wrote:
It's really not fair on families; especially to think about how they're going to afford fuel the next week.

Maybe they could cancel that Foxtel subscription and stop buying those $4 coffees every morning and Friday nights dedicated to drinking and pumping money into poker machines. I find it hilarious that the ones I often hear complaining the loudest about fuel prices tend to be the ones who piss their money away the most... there are people who are legitimately affected, but a lot of people waste their money on their Wants and then want someone else to blame when it's time to pay for their Needs.
Gouki
Vanilla H

PostPosted: Sat Jun 14, 2008 4:47 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote
Soul Master Kaze wrote:
See, there's this wonderful thing called a 'railway network'.

Yeah, the rail network is fantastic the way it never runs on time, frequently cancels services, overcharges, doesn't have enough services and so on. <3 it.

Mr Waffle wrote:
Maybe they could cancel that Foxtel subscription and stop buying those $4 coffees every morning and Friday nights dedicated to drinking and pumping money into poker machines. I find it hilarious that the ones I often hear complaining the loudest about fuel prices tend to be the ones who piss their money away the most... there are people who are legitimately affected, but a lot of people waste their money on their Wants and then want someone else to blame when it's time to pay for their Needs.

Maybe the government could take their excise and other tax off the petrol? I mean, I don't have foxtel, I don't gamble, I don't drink coffee and so on, but I should be able to use money I've earnt to buy myself something once in a while instead of saying "whoops, can't buy myself that game this week, since ptrol just jumped another 15c" or "better not go and do this this week, just incase petrol jumps next week."

Almost all mine and my partners money goes into paying bills and debts, food shoppin, rent and petrol. We get very little money to spend on anything but needs. And with petrol getting as high as it has been I predict in a few months we'll barely have money for the needs.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website Yahoo Messenger MSN Messenger
Yomi Plushtoy
Megane-ko

PostPosted: Sat Jun 14, 2008 5:06 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote
George wrote:
Go on the news and complain.

Just explaining why the price of other things is going to increase too, before you start complaining about it.
Kero-chan
Priss Asagiri

PostPosted: Sat Jun 14, 2008 5:44 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote
Inniss 1428 wrote:
$0. I have these wonderful things called legs... and a bike, not that I ever use it.

Sucks though, I can remember a time when fuel was $0.50/L, and that makes me feel olllllllllllllld.

First tank of petrol I ever bought was 59.9 cents per litre.
kbz333
Kiichi Goto

PostPosted: Sat Jun 14, 2008 5:57 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote
Inniss 1428 wrote:
$0. I have these wonderful things called legs...

same for me...plus, i have to wonderful medium size dogs that love to pull *woot for sibes and kelpies* and this is pretty much always done with 1 gremlin on a bike and the other walking too...

as for petrol prices, they are about $1.80/$1.90....
Soul Master Kaze
Shinji Ikari

PostPosted: Sat Jun 14, 2008 6:20 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote
Yomi Plushtoy wrote:

You bet your bottom dollar it does. The point I was trying to make (before I looked at the clock and realised that I was gonna be late for the bus) was that in doing the long-haul stuff by rail and short trip stuff by road, it becomes more fuel-efficient.

Gouki wrote:
Yeah, the rail network is fantastic the way it never runs on time, frequently cancels services, overcharges, doesn't have enough services and so on. <3 it.

And I can assure you, if you elect the Chicken Suit Wearing Toll Collectors on Sydney Harbour Bridge for Prime Minister Party (or just CSWTCOSHBFPMP for short), the one thing we can assure in our first term of government will be that the trains will run on time.
Hagane_Gir
Gally

PostPosted: Sat Jun 14, 2008 6:23 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote
My sister has a habit of whinging about this these days. Uni student, needs money, petrol too expensive, etc. Interesting thing is though, she can easily catch a bus or train to any location she needs to get too, as we're quite close to stations.
As a side note public transport seems a little fuller than usual...
madmangohan
Noooooooooooooooo

PostPosted: Sat Jun 14, 2008 8:36 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote
garrethking wrote:
Good thing i got a 4 cyclinder
I drive a 3 cyclinder <<
I rarely fill the tank up nowadays. I've probbably raised my average fueling from $20 to $25-30, but it generally gets me the week either way.

Anime News Network Australia
Tachikoma
Shiki Tohno

PostPosted: Sat Jun 14, 2008 8:41 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote
Wow, really I laugh at some of these smug anti-car responses. Unfortunately (or fortunately), the city we are living in is not as one dimensional as the world you guys are living in.

Public transport is great when you have direct access to it, but for some, it's an utter inconvenience in every respect of the word. And PT is not really that great either, the system is not scaled well to the topography of the city, and the population increase it endured in the past 10 years. I can blabber on all day about the reasons and other flaws the PT system has, but I CBF right now.

At the end of the day, increased petrol prices will only hurt those who really need to rely on a car. The solution for that is better PT and more efficient cars.
Kero-chan
Priss Asagiri

PostPosted: Sat Jun 14, 2008 10:32 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote
Tachikoma wrote:
Public transport is great when you have direct access to it, but for some, it's an utter inconvenience in every respect of the word.

In Melbourne at least, if you're not going somewhere that's in the direction of the CBD, then getting there by public transport can take ages. When I did work experience years ago, a trip that would be about thirty minutes by car took me two hours by bus-train-bus.
Tachikoma
Shiki Tohno

PostPosted: Sat Jun 14, 2008 11:07 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote
And that's the biggest problem. A lot of people are forced to live further away from the CBD and Zone 1 areas for various reasons. Mainly due to the lack of availability of free land and also because of the higher house+land prices in general. So we are in a situation where people need to travel heaps to reach their job destination. If you have a so-called "professional" job, then you're rooted, as most of those workplaces seem to be concentrated around the CBD region.
beardedgeek
Shana

PostPosted: Sun Jun 15, 2008 12:52 am    Post subject: Reply with quote
allot of professional jobs require good access to other places, so that's either in the cbd and walking everywhere or outer area's and taxi bills for you and anyone who visits you. that and PT is all routes lead to the cbd so you don't need to worry about workers being in a certain location.

most major cities need more major ring PT routes, like the ring roads but for PT so to go from e.g. north west to north you don't need to spend 40mins into the city and 40 mins out.

that and the outside the city , country trips aren't a short affair either, and out there PT isn't effective or in most cases available, hell how many country towns in Australia still have a reliable rail service for passengers let alone bulk goods. that and petrol almost always costs more, it was about 10c/L diff from Sydney to my old home town.

unfortunately it's a complex problem with no quick fix.

cut taxes -> fuel is still going up so that's costing the gov. more, so less cash for other services like health and education.

alternative fuel sources -> there's still allot of debate over ethanol in petrol engines, no one is game to risk a 2k$+ bill unless someone stands up and guarantees it in idiot language of which cars it applies to.
and distribution of newer bio diesels or others, like electric cars if it's not available in every few km then it's not convenient.

invade the middle east so profit margins are lower -> apparently a humanitarian concern ????
Enjoy
Doraemon

PostPosted: Sun Jun 15, 2008 9:48 am    Post subject: Reply with quote
hmm let me see... it's about 60 bucks a week for me and i do a fair bit of driving Laughing
Phoenix85
Ryuk

PostPosted: Sun Jun 15, 2008 12:34 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote
I can get about 350k's out of a tank in my car (4 stroke Suzi...) Most it is in the trip home to work and the return to Adelaide for Uni. But, on how much it costs, zilch 90% of the time, since I can get here and back home again on one tank dad told me to get the fuel from home (farm gets it delivered, and I do a fair bit of "volunteer" farmwork). Handy when you're a Uni student, not having much of a fuel bill.

Tachikoma wrote:
Wow, really I laugh at some of these smug anti-car responses. Unfortunately (or fortunately), the city we are living in is not as one dimensional as the world you guys are living in.

Public transport is great when you have direct access to it, but for some, it's an utter inconvenience in every respect of the word..

QFT with highlights in bold. PT is really great when you come from the absolute middle of nowhere!
Yomi Plushtoy
Megane-ko

PostPosted: Sun Jun 15, 2008 1:15 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote
Soul Master Kaze wrote:
The point I was trying to make (before I looked at the clock and realised that I was gonna be late for the bus) was that in doing the long-haul stuff by rail and short trip stuff by road, it becomes more fuel-efficient.

Okay, that does make a bit more sense. But it's still not going to do much good for business who need to get things transported non-trivial not still not long haul distances. Or businesses who need to get stuff from overseas.
anime_queen
Li Syaoran

PostPosted: Sun Jun 15, 2008 1:31 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote
Hagane_Gir wrote:
As a side note public transport seems a little fuller than usual...

This is exactly why people in our city still refuse to use PT and the reason why people still choose to drive into work.
I don't blame them...it's quite frustrating having to stand on an extremely crowded bus and you don't even have that much room to breath. Then, you accidentally bump into someone and then give you a glaring look as if it's your fault that the bus is that crowded.

The more PT solutions done to our roads the better chances of people using PT will happen.

Nadesico Man
Motoko Kusanagi

PostPosted: Sun Jun 15, 2008 7:40 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote
Try running 98 or 100oct fuel... $1.80L+
The old rolla used to use 15L-100k. But now the SSS only uses around 8L-100k Smile Running 98oc with a 50ltr tank usaly costs me around $70...
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Yahoo Messenger MSN Messenger ICQ Number
HeDanny
Grumpy Old Man

PostPosted: Sun Jun 15, 2008 7:57 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote
I pretty much don't drive anymore. I can if I absolutely need to, but mostly I just walk everywhere. [b]small town <3[.b] yay! Yes, I really do live in a Utopian environment where almost every single thing I need is within 40mins (max) walking distance of my house.

I own a beautiful little Mazda Metro, so its fuel economy is above average to say the least. My Father, on the other hand, being a Gardener and all, drives a HiLux. Needless to say, not the best "shopping Trolley". So we now have an arrangement. I pay to 'keep' the Car (rego, insurance etc) and he pays for the fuel. Its a good arrangement.

It feels good on those super super rare occasions (2, possibly 3 times a year) when I take a trip into the outer suburbs (about 3 hour-ish drive each way) and get to say. "go fill my car up, Dad." then, when I get back, get to say "bit low on Fuel, Dad. Might wanna get some when you are out". haha! Yeah. I love it. Smile

Anyone ever think that if we just got rid of public transport (short scale, obviously long scale such as interstate, intercontinental flights etc are a necessity unless they invenr super fast and safe hovercrafts we can all own) then all that money they are spending on keeping it working could be put into something more productive? You know, like alternative fuels, cleaner, safer cars, better roads etc etc. I only just thought of this as writing this post, so feel free to point out the huge flaw(s) in that idea. Smile
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website Yahoo Messenger
Phoenix85
Ryuk

PostPosted: Sun Jun 15, 2008 10:53 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote
HeDanny wrote:
I own a beautiful little Mazda Metro, so its fuel economy is above average to say the least. My Father, on the other hand, being a Gardener and all, drives a HiLux. Needless to say, not the best "shopping Trolley".

Few eskies, half a dozen yards of rope and a few truckie's knots would fix that problem.....

Quote:
Anyone ever think that if we just got rid of public transport (short scale, obviously long scale such as interstate, intercontinental flights etc are a necessity unless they invenr super fast and safe hovercrafts we can all own) then all that money they are spending on keeping it working could be put into something more productive?

The theory is sound, but then...all theory is perfect until it comes into contact with bureaucrats or politicians.
puggdogg
Hajime Saitou

PostPosted: Sun Jun 15, 2008 10:58 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote
I don't use fuel because I'll eaither walk or ride my bike. Very rarley do I take the bus. I'm 26 now and I still don't have much interest in going for my licence. I haven't even gone for my L's yet.
Phoenix85
Ryuk

PostPosted: Sun Jun 15, 2008 11:01 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote
That's a concept I find rather....alien. Of course, I do come from a place that the nearest, large (ish) town (ie. One that the post office, shop and newsagents are in different buildings...) is 16 k's away. Practically the first thing i did when I turned 16 was sit for my L's.
Soul Master Kaze
Shinji Ikari

PostPosted: Mon Jun 16, 2008 12:17 am    Post subject: Reply with quote
Phoenix85 wrote:
That's a concept I find rather....alien. Of course, I do come from a place that the nearest, large (ish) town (ie. One that the post office, shop and newsagents are in different buildings...) is 16 k's away. Practically the first thing i did when I turned 16 was sit for my L's.

Not really. Whilst it's a small minority, it's not totally unheard of. I'm 19 and still on my L's (although had I not made a massive screwup about a month ago that would not be the case) and one of my friends is 20 and still on her L's. I'm not a massive fan of driving, mainly because I know that if I lose concentration, someone could die. Hence why not having my licence isn't the end of the world for me.
EbonP
Misa Amane

PostPosted: Mon Jun 16, 2008 12:54 am    Post subject: Reply with quote
HeDanny wrote:
Anyone ever think that if we just got rid of public transport (short scale, obviously long scale such as interstate, intercontinental flights etc are a necessity unless they invenr super fast and safe hovercrafts we can all own) then all that money they are spending on keeping it working could be put into something more productive? You know, like alternative fuels, cleaner, safer cars, better roads etc etc. I only just thought of this as writing this post, so feel free to point out the huge flaw(s) in that idea. Smile

A few issues that immediately come to mind:

If there were no public transport, then more people would drive leading to more traffic, which would be pretty terrible for somewhere like Sydney which already has way too much traffic at peak times.

Another issue is parking. With basically everybody driving, there'd be a requirement for more parking spots.

There are people who are incapable of driving for a variety of reasons (e.g. the young, the old and the disabled). These people would be basically stranded without it.

Many people use public transport to get home after a night of drinking. Without it people are likely to be stranded or resort to driving under the influence.

I realise taxis could solve some of these problems, but it's probably more efficient to have public transport than a huge fleet of taxis.

If anything governments should be moving in the opposite direction and try to increase public transport usage in major cities. Considering many peoples main travel is from an urban area to a business area at regular times, it makes sense for them to travel in bulk on a bus or train rather than individually in a car.
Gouki
Vanilla H

PostPosted: Mon Jun 16, 2008 6:59 am    Post subject: Reply with quote
EbonP wrote:
Taxis.

I'M TOO DUMB TO FIND OTHER WORDS TO USE SO I USE THE F WORD taxis, seriously. It gosts $13 to get from Sebastopol to the centre of Ballarat
jeff
Linn Syun-Rock Dreu Haider Jinto

PostPosted: Mon Jun 16, 2008 7:09 am    Post subject: Reply with quote
$65 for 400+ km using premium unleaded @ 172+ per l (Subaru Impreza 2.0r). It is a 102k round trip from home to work & there is NO real public transport where I live, passenger trains last run in 1973 & the buses are a overpriced joke & don't run to where I work anyway. At least work is moving from Singleton to Maitland which will cut my travelling time (& fuel costs) by 2/3rds. Cool

R1 DVDs
Current totals DVDs = 3756, Figures = 430, Soundtrack CDs = 1466, Artbooks = 364.
speedfreek19
Itsuki Koizumi

PostPosted: Mon Jun 16, 2008 8:54 am    Post subject: Reply with quote
puggdogg wrote:
I'm 26 now and I still don't have much interest in going for my licence. I haven't even gone for my L's yet.
\
conversely im 23 and i need my licence cause im finding it hard to get a job without one and walking isn't really an option for most locations and the bus, while goes right past my house fortunately really only goes into centre of town so if i had to go elsewhere i'd need a lift and for that i generally rely on my mum to do so.

One small upside to being unemployed is that i get travel concession so half price bus fare ($2.30 for me to head into town/town into home which is about 20-35min trip depending on which way i'm travelling but seeing as i live in Wagga, it's not that much of a consolation as i'd hate to think what travelling fair distances on a bus would cost in the city)
Orion159
Melfina

PostPosted: Mon Jun 16, 2008 10:06 am    Post subject: Reply with quote
Always love topics that raise a thousand issues and no resolution!

First, demand for fuel is relatively inelastic. In laymans terms, people will still buy petrol regardless of the cost (many contributory factors, but just focussing on net result) and so increasing fuel price does not noticeably decrease traffic. For practical evidence, see the increase in traffic congestion in all major cities over the last 10 years, the same period over which fuel price has been sky-rocketing.

On the same note, cutting furl excise does not work. We are already one of the lowest fuel-tax countries in the world, and whilst it does relieve short-term pressure it does not address the underlying causes. As a result fuel prices will accelrate to cover in a matter of weeks as price tolerance has already been increased (ie peoples willingness to pay ... as you get used to a price that's gradually increasing you don't notice the long-term increase. That's why willing to still pay for petrol that has tripled in price over last 14 years).

Public transport is absolutely necessary though, but is run by a very old-school line of thinking that can't cope with modern pressures (ie govt bureaucracies and unions). Get rid of it? Absurd, simply as no matter how good the road you are driving on they still are restricted to finite space (unless you start looking at tunnels, and does anyone really want to raise that idea?) and so the massive influx of people from public transport would create grid-lock for 50kms out fo the CBD.

Problem is the public transport thinking (or lack thereof) at the higher levels. Eg trains ... make big trains at long intervals to ensure they are full is only way that is economical. Issue here is that trains are stuck in limbo between public service and business. Mutually exclusive but manageable, but compounded by fact that biggest customers for railways aren't commuters ... it's the Govt through what's known as a TSC (Transport Services Contract). So as long as hit basic KPIs is no problem, regardless of commuter complaints.

Alternatives? Sure, there are heaps, each with benefits and flaws. Without too much thought a simple one could be a frequent cheap rail complemented by inner light rail network. Keeping it brief, make trains smaller, with less carriages, but twice as often. Cost of running only marginally increases, and certain trains may be more congested, but as are coming more often the inconvenience of waiting for the next one is not so great, plus the convenience for those who may not necessarily use because of time issues is greatly improved. From a business sense decrease costs and stop pretending commuters are income-contributing customers and be more open in public about recognising import of TSC.

To aid in this, drastically reduce or cut the rail freight network. Rail freight that goes through metro centres is bleeding money faster than you could believe (we're talking well over $100M a year) with only bulk transport (ie grains, coal, peak season livestock) for export making any money. Even then most shippers prefer road transport as it's quicker, cheaper and more reliable. So getting rid of this opens up more windows on domestic rail, with remainder of freight limited to regional centres (already main destinations anyway).

Finally, build a light rail on constant loop from a 5km radius of the CBD. At outskirts of loop build larger parking structures, and ensure rail connection. Would be costly to build but has advantages as can be elevated and so reduces impact in finite space, can be electric and so reduces operating costs, and skill-set comparable to freight workers and so job opportunity directly offsets losses in freight. Also, as outer ring a broader area it diffuses traffic from driving to single central point, easing traffic, and more regular trains combined with constant loop makes convenience of train better as well. Also some income gain from parking, and creates encouragement for business to spread out from CBD so long as within loop radius.

But I'll shut up here. Always trust me to write an essay (damn stream-of-consciousness writing style) when two sentences were probably enough! Rolling Eyes
~:Sakura:~
Sylia Stingray

PostPosted: Mon Jun 16, 2008 12:16 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote
$1.59 for us at the moment.
Sucks. I'm already spending like $70 a week anyways. Sad
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website AIM Address MSN Messenger
speedfreek19
Itsuki Koizumi

PostPosted: Mon Jun 16, 2008 12:24 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote
it's about $1.65 or so here in wagga (halfway between syd and melb), though not sure how much mum is putting in a week though.
Jimbo
Kuu

PostPosted: Mon Jun 16, 2008 2:14 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote
Now am woking in campbelltown again it costs me to $100 bucks to refill just for two days Sad.
TheHeadSage
Sylia Stingray

PostPosted: Mon Jun 16, 2008 2:23 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote
$20 for the bike, and that's using the high quality fuel. As for my car, same principal applies. $20 to fill the tank. LPG is awesome.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website MSN Messenger

Page 1 of 2

Jump to: