Usergroups  ·  Register ·    Profile  ·  Log in to check your private messages  ·   Log in     

The Plagiarism of Haruhi Suzumiya?

The Plagiarism of Haruhi Suzumiya?
Author
resonance cascade

PostPosted: Fri Aug 10, 2007 7:12 pm    Post subject: The Plagiarism of Haruhi Suzumiya? Reply with quote
The Herald Sun on the 27/7/07 posted an article in their arts section about an auction that took place in South Yarra on the 28/7/07. Why is this of interest? Well below you will see an image from the series that Madman will be releasing in September known as The Melancholy of Haruhi Suzumiya. You may have recognised it from all the hoopla we've been creating about the upcoming dance contests Smile

Below is the article in full.

Art or just plain lazy plagiarism? You decide!

The painting titled "YOU ARE SO BAD" has apparently sold for $11,000 AUD!
Darth Tallis
Van Fanel

PostPosted: Sat Aug 11, 2007 3:01 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote
Hell, it worked for Andy Warhol. Might work for this guy, too.
FireAza
Kiichi Goto

PostPosted: Sat Aug 11, 2007 4:53 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote
Is Haruhi a better subject than Marilyn Monroe though? Razz As for the final sale price of the painting, the buyer must have been one hellva Melancholy of Haruhi Suzumiya fan Razz
HimuraBattousai
Kagami Yagami

PostPosted: Sat Aug 11, 2007 8:47 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote
Or one hell of a sucker.
exe3
Motoko Kusanagi

PostPosted: Sat Aug 11, 2007 8:50 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote
so whens the projected lawsuit? lol
Shinji 3.141
Tina Foster

PostPosted: Sat Aug 11, 2007 11:16 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote
exe3 wrote:
so whens the projected lawsuit? lol

Well he wold deserve it there is only dishonor in plagiarism.

Play Star Trek Online or Star Citizen? The Ausmonauts!
Zippy Wonderdog
Mayuko Chigasaki

PostPosted: Sun Aug 12, 2007 12:14 am    Post subject: Reply with quote
So you could make a screen print of any given anime image and sell it for eleven grand?
I dunno I've a feeling this is plagarism, I think this passes the point of reasonable use which was the case of Marilyn Munroe.
Does the artist properly reference the image or does hse try to pass it off as her own work?
Hmmm I looked her up on ther net and theres a few examples of the her other works. Frankly it looks more like photcopying than art IMHO, then again I'm a pretty cynical SOB *shrug*
I think Andy Warhol was a hack too Very Happy

Some places are far darker than deep space.

Tales of MU. High fantasy, higher education.
Instel
Hajime Saitou

PostPosted: Sun Aug 12, 2007 4:52 am    Post subject: Reply with quote
As a fan of actual artists (and wishing I were one myself, but that's not for me to judge), this offends me. it's outright plagiarism. Simply putting in a caption and changing the colours does not 'art' make, no matter how subjective it is. This is lazy trash and Song Ling deserves a god damn lawsuit.
darktruth90
Mayuko Chigasaki

PostPosted: Sun Aug 12, 2007 5:55 am    Post subject: Reply with quote
Actually, if you read the article (wish there's a bigger scan of it). it says something along the lines of the all the money from the auction goes towards medical research, so the auction was being held for a supposedly good cause and Song Ling won't really get the money. That still doesn't fix the whole copyright abuse issue though.

EDIT: hmm...just also noticed the article said all the people taking part (probably the ones who submitted in their works for the auction) go to the Royal Children's Hospital. So that's another question to ask. How old is Song Ling? Actually, from reading it again...it sounds like this person isn't a young person needing to go there cause of a medical condition, but more like visiting the place to help raise money for them.
Greoboruri
Nene Romanova

PostPosted: Sun Aug 12, 2007 9:37 am    Post subject: Reply with quote
Even if it was for charity, copyright infringement is still copyright infringement.

But anime and manga have been getting the arse-end of copyright infringement for years. A few years ago anime and manga characters always seemed to end up on flyers for small time bands (well I saw a lot of that in Canberra at least). A few years before that we had Hook Ups blatantly stealing images from Dragonball Z and other anime for their T-shirts. And if you go back even further, 20 years or more, the BattleTech stole designs wholesale from Macross, Crusher Joe and other anime.
Nargun
Siegfried Kircheis

PostPosted: Sun Aug 12, 2007 11:39 am    Post subject: Reply with quote
Instel wrote:
As a fan of actual artists (and wishing I were one myself, but that's not for me to judge), this offends me. it's outright plagiarism. Simply putting in a caption and changing the colours does not 'art' make, no matter how subjective it is.

It can, actually: if there's some point you're trying to get across where the connotations of the work you're copying from are important.

As, for example, the andy warhol/marylin monroe work mentioned above, where the point being articulated was the interchangeability/mass production of "famous" people.

Now, if that applies here I don't know.
exe3
Motoko Kusanagi

PostPosted: Mon Aug 13, 2007 11:06 am    Post subject: Reply with quote
Instel wrote:
As a fan of actual artists (and wishing I were one myself, but that's not for me to judge), this offends me. it's outright plagiarism. Simply putting in a caption and changing the colours does not 'art' make, no matter how subjective it is. This is lazy trash and Song Ling deserves a god damn lawsuit.

unfortunately in todays terms this is art, i remember going to an art gallery a year or 2 ago and it was full of junk like this, my art teacher loved this stuff and thats why I dropped the subject during my HSC Razz

in closing, art has gone downhill since that picture of the famous actor (i wouldn't know who, no one could act back then) doubled up tons of times and put in different colours (was it the one being mentioned b4?) it's not art, no matter what kind of 'message' was trying to be conveyed, i might as well take a picture of my microwave (on a slant for good measure Razz ) and invert the colours, gimme 50grand please! and for the message, i'll just say it's showing how closed society is Razz
Darth Tallis
Van Fanel

PostPosted: Wed Aug 15, 2007 7:47 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote
Well, they say art is subjective. Whether or not this applies here is debatable.
Orion159
Melfina

PostPosted: Mon Aug 27, 2007 4:12 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote
Nargun wrote:
[..]

It can, actually: if there's some point you're trying to get across where the connotations of the work you're copying from are important.

As, for example, the andy warhol/marylin monroe work mentioned above, where the point being articulated was the interchangeability/mass production of "famous" people.

Now, if that applies here I don't know.

Not having seen the painting (apart from the above link) or knowing of the artist this does appear to be a direct homage to Warhol ... though with a cross-cultural twist. As was mentioned the whole point of the Marilyn painting was not in traditional criteria of style and ability ... but more about how mass produced art was becoming and the rampant comoditisation of artistic expression. The fact that Warhol works became exceptionally popular and with an absurdly rigorous authentication board actually helps prove the point ... albeit more in an ironic or hypocritical sense.

Using the same criteria then as the original Warhol using the picture from Haruhi Suzumiya shouldn't be taken as copying the character ... but more what the original character represents both to a massive legion of fans and to the general public at large ... and then the cross-cultural aspect of how it crosses borders. So it's actually quite complimentary to both Hurahi and anime in general that the artist thought this image best represented a modern interpretation of Warhols ideals.

Admittedly copyright allowance should have been checked (though do we know if it has or not?) and personally I'm not a huge fan of Warhol myself (the very concept of Warhol is to show a lack[i] of respect to ability art and see beauty in the everyday mundane ... in otherwords the opposite of what his art has become) ... but at the very least this does help showcase anime to a much wider audience and show there's more to the genre than just kids-cartoons, samurai and tentacle-rape...
chutup
Banned

Location: , have hitherto harmed us little; but some day the piecing together of disassociated knowledge will

PostPosted: Mon Jun 16, 2008 6:07 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote
Shinji 3.141 wrote:
[..]

Well he wold deserve it there is only dishonor in plagiarism.

Exactly. If this was Japan then he would have done the right thing and committed suicide by now.
View user's profile Send private message AIM Address Yahoo Messenger MSN Messenger
Foxy
Koyomi Mizuhara

PostPosted: Sun Jun 22, 2008 5:04 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote
Orion159 wrote:
Admittedly copyright allowance should have been checked (though do we know if it has or not?) and personally I'm not a huge fan of Warhol myself (the very concept of Warhol is to show a lack[i] of respect to ability art and see beauty in the everyday mundane ... in otherwords the opposite of what his art has become) ... but at the very least this does help showcase anime to a much wider audience and show there's more to the genre than just kids-cartoons, samurai and tentacle-rape...

I agree with you completely, although copyright is sometimes over looked within the art context never the less its giving the viewers a wider view of anime.....which is a positive thing.

Being an artist myself i have also painted Miss Suzumiya for my own exhibitions and sales in a simular context to this artist. Although she is miss Suzumiya she still is different to the original as the artist changes and adds their own style and impression of her.

Any positve work/comments/reviews towards anime is great because the anime world needs understanding and if we can get that for transfering wondering characters like Suzumiya into an artwork in which the public can relate to....I think its great.

But then again art is often plagiarism - everyone steals everyones ideas so why not take the best thing in anime right now and turn her into an amazing art?

Warhol = Leading artist of the usa pop art movement 1960's
anime = popular culture
popular culture=pop art
"Im like your modern day vampire. Except I dont like drinking blood, I dont hate garlic, sunshine doesnt directly kill me, and I dont file a tax return as undead. And a steak to the heart screws me too"
exe3
Motoko Kusanagi

PostPosted: Sun Jun 22, 2008 10:20 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote
the anime world needs understanding? I was under the impression that Japan takes the same pride in anime as America does in live action hourly shows like Desperate Housewives, Stargate, 24, Prison Break etc
HimuraBattousai
Kagami Yagami

PostPosted: Mon Jun 23, 2008 10:21 am    Post subject: Reply with quote
I'm not sure if you think that means they have a lot of pride in it or not.
exe3
Motoko Kusanagi

PostPosted: Mon Jun 23, 2008 6:10 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote
HimuraBattousai wrote:
I'm not sure if you think that means they have a lot of pride in it or not.

rofl Laughing

I mean they have a lot of pride in it so far as I know Razz
chutup
Banned

Location: , have hitherto harmed us little; but some day the piecing together of disassociated knowledge will

PostPosted: Wed Jul 02, 2008 12:43 am    Post subject: Reply with quote
Yeah, I don't think the people who make, say, Prison Break, ever realise that they're making crap for idiots. They think they're doing something good, and are thus proud of it.
View user's profile Send private message AIM Address Yahoo Messenger MSN Messenger

Page 1 of 1

Jump to: