Usergroups  ·  Register ·    Profile  ·  Log in to check your private messages  ·   Log in     

Madman Cinema Presents REEL ANIME 2008

Madman Cinema Presents REEL ANIME 2008
Author
resonance cascade

PostPosted: Sat Jun 21, 2008 2:28 pm    Post subject: Madman Cinema Presents REEL ANIME 2008 Reply with quote
Madman Cinema Presents
REEL ANIME 2008

From July 3-16 in select cinemas around Australia, Madman Cinema presents REEL ANIME 2008, showcasing 4 of the freshest anime feature films this side of Tokyo.

Following the success of the 2005 Showcase, which featured GHOST IN THE SHELL 2: INNOCENCE and the original APPLESEED, this latest crop of films has something for everyone: from the CGI brilliance of APPLESEED: EX MACHINA and VEXILLE; to the hugely anticipated
BATMAN: GOTHAM KNIGHT from 6 of Japan's hottest directors; and the masterful storytelling of
THE GIRL WHO LEAPT THROUGH TIME.

APPLESEED EX MACHINA
Produced by the action master of bullet ballet, John Woo, and based on the popular science fiction manga from renowned creator Shirow Masamune (Ghost in the Shell), APPLESEED: EX MACHINA advances the art of anime to a new level.

As members of ESWAT, the elite forces serving Olympus, partners Deunan and Briareos are deployed wherever trouble strikes. Cyborg terrorism, deadly nanotech zealots, and rioting citizens are just some of the threats that Deunan must contend with as she fights to save Olympus and her relationship.

BATMAN: GOTHAM KNIGHT
BATMAN: GOTHAM KNIGHT is a fresh and exciting new entry into the Batman mythos. A cross section of distinguished creators, award-winning producers, and acclaimed writers weave six interlocking stories that reveal Bruce Wayne's journey to Dark Knight, each with stylish art from some of the world's most revered animation visionaries.

BATMAN: GOTHAM KNIGHT presents thrilling new adventures of Batman that spotlight several of Gotham City's most dangerous villains, including the fearsome Scarecrow, the freakish Killer Croc and the unnerving marksman known as Deadshot.

VEXILLE
From the producers of Appleseed comes another CG extravaganza. The year is 2077 and due to a sophisticated ultra magnetic shield, no one can enter nor leave Japan, and it is also impossible to observe the country using satellite surveillance methods. The USA has created a special force unit, SWORD, to enter Japan and to investigate the country's development in robotic technology, which is banned by the UN. Lead by a female commander
VEXILLE, and her colleague LEON, the members of SWORD head to accomplish this dangerous mission, and uncover a shocking secret.

THE GIRL WHO LEAPT THROUGH TIME
When 17-year-old Makoto gains the ability to leap backwards through time, she sets about preventing personal mishaps. Yet she soon realises that changing the past isn't so simple! Can she use her new powers to shape the future of herself and her friends?
THE GIRL WHO LEAPT THROUGH TIME is an absorbing, beautifully crafted anime. Featuring character design from 'Neon Genesis Evangelion's' Yoshiyuki Sadamoto and key staff from such classics as 'Princess Mononoke' and 'The Grave of the Fireflies', this new film is destined for modern classic status.

ONLY IN CINEMAS FOR A LIMITED TIME: JULY 3-16
SYDNEY: DENDY NEWTOWN www.dendy.com.au 02 9550 5699
MELBOURNE: KINO DENDY www.dendy.com.au 03 9650 2100
BRISBANE: DENDY GEORGE ST www.dendy.com.au 07 3211 3244
PERTH: LUNA LEEDERVILLE www.lunapalace.com.au 08 9444 4056
ADELAIDE: PALACE NOVA www.palacenova.com 08 8232 3434
CANBERRA: DENDY CANBERRA www.dendy.com.au 02 6221 8900

FOR MORE INFO, VISIT:
www.madmancinema.com.au
www.madman.com.au/reelanime

Visit: http://www.madman.com.au/reelanime

Last edited by Kermi on Mon Oct 06, 2008 10:19 pm; edited 1 time in total
Slykura
Madman Staff

PostPosted: Mon Jul 07, 2008 2:34 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote
Iam really interested to know if anyone turned up to any of these screenings. The results so far have indicated that Melbourne is very lacking behind. What's going on people?
Sleepless Beauty
Yakumo Tsukamoto

PostPosted: Mon Jul 07, 2008 3:54 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote
Hey Sly, my sister and I went yesterday and saw "The Girl Who Leapt Through Time" and "Appleseed: Ex Machina". We enjoyed it so much we're going back to see "Vexille"! Very Happy

There was at least 25 other people in the cinema for both movies, it wasn't packed, but I thought the turn up was decent, I was expecting less.

Also initially I found it hard to find the screening times online and had to phone the cinema itself as the Melbourne info wasn't available on the Dendy website. Kino Dendy is now no longer apart of Dendy cinemas, apparently this happened recently and they haven't made it public.
All the ghosts that broke my heart!

Last edited by Sleepless Beauty on Mon Jul 07, 2008 6:43 pm; edited 1 time in total
Orion159
Melfina

PostPosted: Mon Jul 07, 2008 4:45 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote
Already got tix for all 4 for this Saturday with a bunch of friends ... we're going to marathon th elot in one go Very Happy Originally going to only see three (excl Batman) but figured with the Season Pass might as well get our moneys worth.

Also, fyi, but was reviewed on Triple J on Saturday night. Generally dismissive of the mecha series, very positive on Batman, and positive on TGWLTT. But then he opened the segment with a "comment" on anime in general so fact got any positive review actually pretty good.
Knight of L-sama
Tina Foster

PostPosted: Mon Jul 07, 2008 5:32 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote
Slykura wrote:
Iam really interested to know if anyone turned up to any of these screenings. The results so far have indicated that Melbourne is very lacking behind. What's going on people?

Girl Who Leapt Through Time and Vexille Wednesday and Thursday this week in Bris. It's been more an issue of timing, plus two of the people who I'm going with going to Gencon the weekend just gone. (Which may explain some of the Brisbane stuff)

Probably won't be seeing Appleseed: Ex Machina, but that's because one of the aforementioned friends already has it on Blu-Ray. Batman is up in the air.
JESTER
Ruri Hoshino

PostPosted: Mon Jul 07, 2008 8:36 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote
Slykura wrote:

I did think about going to watch Appleseed, Vexille and The Girl Who Leapt Thru Time, but noticed that those 3 were being showned sub only and that killed that idea.

I have Funimations release of Vexille, but would've liked to have heard and seen it on the big screen.

When travelling, set no limits. Just experience it, live the moment and enjoy the ride.
Sleepless Beauty
Yakumo Tsukamoto

PostPosted: Mon Jul 07, 2008 8:49 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote
JESTER wrote:
[..]

I did think about going to watch Appleseed, Vexille and The Girl Who Leapt Thru Time, but noticed that those 3 were being showned sub only and that killed that idea.

I have Funimations release of Vexille, but would've liked to have heard and seen it on the big screen.

Careful not to say that in the other REEL ANIME thread, wouldn't want to be accused of not being a real fan Rolling Eyes Wink I was hoping that The Girl Who Leapt Through Time would be in english, but I still enjoyed it. The subtitles on Appleseed did start to annoy me by the end, I think i'll enjoy the Dub for that more.
madmangohan
Noooooooooooooooo

PostPosted: Mon Jul 07, 2008 8:57 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote
Saw all 4 yesterday as I planned.
They certainly seemed like each had a different source material though (eg, Vexille had japanese credits and yet Appleseed and TGWLTT was overlaid with English ones)

Anime News Network Australia
mrgazpacho
Koyomi Mizuhara

PostPosted: Tue Jul 08, 2008 1:36 am    Post subject: Reply with quote
I saw Appleseed at the Sydney Film Festival already, and have no interest in Batman.

But I should be seeing Tokikake and Vexille this weekend in Newtown.
coldfire
Pants on head crazy

PostPosted: Tue Jul 08, 2008 10:12 am    Post subject: Reply with quote
Sleepless Beauty wrote:
[..]

Careful not to say that in the other REEL ANIME thread, wouldn't want to be accused of not being a real fan Rolling Eyes Wink I was hoping that The Girl Who Leapt Through Time would be in english, but I still enjoyed it. The subtitles on Appleseed did start to annoy me by the end, I think i'll enjoy the Dub for that more.

Just because you dont like subs dont mean your not a anime fan, saying that Jester would have to be on of the biggest with that collection of his.
Even if their eyes are scorched.Even if their arms are writhing, they will never stop marching head,guided by the will'o the wisp.They will will their way and shoot at point-blak distance,the footsteps that have thrown life away, the trigger that brings death.,the 901 Anti-Tank-Trooper.
black_ops
Banned

PostPosted: Tue Jul 08, 2008 10:33 am    Post subject: Reply with quote
it's a pity you can't get readings into the fray for showing reel titles especially the belmont branch, relying on luna in leederville to air them is a bit of a waste...
Sleepless Beauty
Yakumo Tsukamoto

PostPosted: Tue Jul 08, 2008 11:50 am    Post subject: Reply with quote
coldfire wrote:
[..]

Just because you dont like subs dont mean your not a anime fan, saying that Jester would have to be on of the biggest with that collection of his.

I wasn't implying that, if thats what you thought, I was merely speaking in mock tone. I agree that you can like either sub or dub and be as big an anime fan as anyone! If you read my post, you would know I was talking about how I wished they were in english dub!

That being said, has anyone seen VEXILLE yet? Is it good?
madmangohan
Noooooooooooooooo

PostPosted: Tue Jul 08, 2008 4:42 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote
Sleepless Beauty wrote:
If you like Applessed, you'll like Vexille. Very simple.
Personally, I enjoyed it, but it was more of the fact that I like decent action films rather than it truely being great in a sense. Found the animation to be a little odd, but that's probbably more to be with me being picky then anything.

Ookami
Hajime Saitou

PostPosted: Tue Jul 08, 2008 7:11 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote
I am intending to ring the Melbourne site on Friday morning hoping to see Appleseed Friday afternoon/ night. The fact that session times are not able to be seen online really makes it annoying.
JESTER
Ruri Hoshino

PostPosted: Tue Jul 08, 2008 7:36 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote
Sleepless Beauty wrote:
[..]

I wasn't implying that, if thats what you thought, I was merely speaking in mock tone. I agree that you can like either sub or dub and be as big an anime fan as anyone! If you read my post, you would know I was talking about how I wished they were in english dub!

I didn't take offense.

I do have the US release of Vexille which was why I would've loved to have seen the english version of it on the big screen. The animation is pretty spiffy, though the body armour isn't much to look at. The english VA's are also really good.

There's a Vexille thread in General Anime where I put up a good few pics from my copy. You should check them out.

When travelling, set no limits. Just experience it, live the moment and enjoy the ride.
Ookami
Hajime Saitou

PostPosted: Tue Jul 08, 2008 8:44 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote
Found a link to help out with the Melbourne Sessions:

http://www.yourmovies.com.au/cinemas/?venue_id=20856
coldfire
Pants on head crazy

PostPosted: Wed Jul 09, 2008 12:52 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote
Vexille - biggest let down,cool mech suits and thats about it.
Even if their eyes are scorched.Even if their arms are writhing, they will never stop marching head,guided by the will'o the wisp.They will will their way and shoot at point-blak distance,the footsteps that have thrown life away, the trigger that brings death.,the 901 Anti-Tank-Trooper.
madmangohan
Noooooooooooooooo

PostPosted: Thu Jul 10, 2008 9:48 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote
coldfire wrote:
Vexille - biggest let down,cool mech suits and thats about it.
Obviously you need to go see batman then <<
On a related not and totally not pimping anything, ANN.au got their mini reviews of the films up now

mrgazpacho
Koyomi Mizuhara

PostPosted: Mon Jul 14, 2008 9:56 am    Post subject: Reply with quote
I went and saw Vexille and Tokikake yesterday.

The visuals of Vexille weren't quite up to the standard of Ex Machina, and I thought the story wasn't quite there either, although it was a grander, more ambitious plot.

Tokikake is yet another coming-of-age story of high-school romance, but with a SF twist, and a lot of humour. Note that Sadamoto's design for the heroine Makoto also gives her red irises, in the tradition of Saya from Blood+ and Ayanami Rei Smile I saw Tennen Kokekko at the Sydney Film Festival, which is also another coming-of-age high-school romance, but Tokikake is more frenetic, more slapstick but just as enjoyable in a different way. If you've ever struggled with personal relationships, if you've ever wished you could take back something you said, if you've ever wished you could have your time over again - this one's for you. Highly Recommended Cool
Orion159
Melfina

PostPosted: Mon Jul 14, 2008 10:14 am    Post subject: Reply with quote
I think I mentioned this in the otehr thread, but I actually preferred Vexille over Appleseed. I just didn't like the character animation in Appleseed ... seemed like a bunch of CG puppets with the stilted walking motions, gliding, and over-exaggerated gestures.

Then again I'd seen TGWLTT in the session before so the style faults were probably more noticeable in comparison than Vexille which I'd seen in the morning ...
Sleepless Beauty
Yakumo Tsukamoto

PostPosted: Mon Jul 14, 2008 11:16 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote
Orion159 wrote:
I actually preferred Vexille over Appleseed. I just didn't like the character animation in Appleseed

I saw Vexille on Sunday, and I came out thinking the same thing. There were also quite a few similarities, like when they first showed Vexille, I immediately thought 'its like duenan's sister'. But I really loved the music, especially the opening song 'close your eyes' by Basement Jaxx Very Happy

Page 1 of 1

Jump to: