Usergroups  ·  Register ·    Profile  ·  Log in to check your private messages  ·   Log in     

Career in digital multimedia/graphic design?

Career in digital multimedia/graphic design?
Author
Hajime Saitou

PostPosted: Mon Jan 19, 2009 12:28 pm    Post subject: Career in digital multimedia/graphic design? Reply with quote
hope this is the right place to post this as the title says study at Uni or TAFE?
Some people in the industry have told me you dont really need to go to University for a degree but just get experience.Any thoughts?
Mr Waffle
TEH WAFFLES!!11!

PostPosted: Mon Jan 19, 2009 4:04 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote
A degree will help you get a foot in the door, but experience is definitely the second most important thing. The most important- putting in the work. I have a friend who worked his way up from junior designer to a senior designer/project manager in a few years because of the long, hard hours he poured into his work. He makes good money, but he works hard for it. Being able to schmooze potential clients and get your name and your work out there is certainly a plus, too.

Graphic Design is not a field you'll last in for long if you don't put the effort in. People interested in it are a dime a dozen, so you need to prove you're worth hiring.
speedfreek19
Itsuki Koizumi

PostPosted: Mon Jan 19, 2009 4:28 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote
Generally most people aren't concerned with a fancy bit of paper and are more interested in what you can do. IF you are good enough you can get into a job without that bit of paper but it'll be harder, plus going to TAFE/Uni will teach you some skills that you may not have otherwise.

I recommend going to TAFE over Uni (depending on what the courses are like too), I did Digital Media Certificate 4 and Diploma (but failed diploma, though more due to just feeling burnt out from study since i went to TAFE after i finish school).
In my Diploma course, we had one bloke who did the Uni course and came to TAFE to do the diploma and he said that doing the TAFE course was better than going to Uni (plus you don't have the massive HECS fee once you finish).

I think the TAFE course for Cert IV is about $500 or so, if not more, though if you're on some kind of benefit from Centrelink you can get one course paid for by them per calender year, which is how i did that and diploma (which was a tad over $1000).

One of the things that we did in Diploma was deal with real clients, we would go out and present ourselves to whomever we wanted to do advertising for (was all free for the client we worked for) and then once we found someone who was willing, we would then do up a contract and such forth.

One of my friends did the Cert IV course as well (twice actually, dropped out the first time) and did some Design course at TAFE last year, not sure what he's doing this year though, did go to Uni for a year before going to TAFE and doing Cert IV, i'm not sure if he's ever gunna complete uni or not though Razz
Now he's doing some freelancing work, so he's getting his porfolio up as well as getting experience in the real world.

You're better off going to TAFE, getting that bit of paper just to get your foot in the door over those that don't have it but you gotta have the skills and the desire to back it up.
Tachikoma
Shiki Tohno

PostPosted: Mon Jan 19, 2009 8:07 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote
I remember there was a similar thread posted a while ago. Might be worthwhile to search and dig it up.
sword
Hajime Saitou

PostPosted: Tue Jan 20, 2009 11:29 am    Post subject: Reply with quote
thanks for the feedback people.
Yeah tafe fees for cert 4 are around 900 dollars
and diplomas are more but heaps less than uni.
Looks like TAFE is better option thanks.
SquallX
Doraemon

PostPosted: Wed Jan 21, 2009 12:59 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote
If you do consider going to uni after tafe there is the courses that will articulate right in 2nd year of year after you finish the diploma at tafe.

Something to also note is, if you do a uni course in a certain field and then go out and start job hunting your pretty much guaranteed to get into anything that doesn't require a masters degree or doctorate. A mate of mine did a Bachleor degree in Fitness and ended up getting a job in Engineering Design just because he had a degree and showed he was willing to learn.
Darth Tallis
Van Fanel

PostPosted: Wed Jan 21, 2009 6:35 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote
My boss' daughter wants to go to uni and get into graphic design. Apparently, the course is about $30,000 dollars.
SquallX
Doraemon

PostPosted: Thu Jan 22, 2009 11:33 am    Post subject: Reply with quote
Darth Tallis wrote:
My boss' daughter wants to go to uni and get into graphic design. Apparently, the course is about $30,000 dollars.

Stuff that, she should just go do the Diploma course at Tafe. Looking at the costs of some uni courses makes you wonder why they charge so much when your doing that course to get a career so you can make that much money not to go paying it all back to the uni.
Mr Waffle
TEH WAFFLES!!11!

PostPosted: Thu Jan 22, 2009 7:15 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote
Darth Tallis wrote:

My Graphic Designer friend makes more than that on the side- outside of his regular design job- in a year, so that piece of paper can pay for itself pretty quickly.

Page 1 of 1

Jump to: