Usergroups  ·  Register ·    Profile  ·  Log in to check your private messages  ·   Log in     

Mecha on early 80's Aus TV??

Mecha on early 80's Aus TV??
Author
Doraemon

PostPosted: Wed Jan 21, 2009 8:09 pm    Post subject: Mecha on early 80's Aus TV?? Reply with quote
Was the original Mobile Suit Gundam 0079 show on Australian TV?

The reason I ask is because I am just starting out on the fantastic journey of re-discovering my favorite cartoons from my childhood growing up in the 80's.

I have always fondly remembered Astro Boy and Speed Racer, I guess due to repeats and their prominence in popular culture, however others had been buried deep in the foggiest parts of my brain.

Thanks to the wonders of the internet I have been able to unlock some of theses mysteries and have come up with an almost complete list of my all time favorites:

Star Blazers
    Mysterious Cites of Gold
    Belle and Sebastian
    Ulysses 31

However I think there is still one missing. I remember a mecha type anime series predating Voltron, perhaps on the ABC in 1984 (give or take a few years). I remember thinking Voltron was a rip off and the original was better. But I can't for the life of me remember its name. Would it have been Gundam? Or can someone make other suggestions?

Spoon.
Majin Cell
Michelle Chan

PostPosted: Wed Jan 21, 2009 9:19 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote
I can't recall Gundam being shown but Robotech was. It was shown on Agro's Cartoon Connection in the late 80's / early 90's.
kbz333
Kiichi Goto

PostPosted: Wed Jan 21, 2009 10:26 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote
wow, i so loved belle and sebastian when it was on tv...i don't remember gundam being on, but back then i wasn't into the mecha - heck i didn't even know it WAS anime, heh
HeDanny
Grumpy Old Man

PostPosted: Thu Jan 22, 2009 12:48 am    Post subject: Reply with quote
oh dude! awesome shows there. Belle and Sebastien in particular has my nostalgia synapses firint colors of rose and awesome. Smile That show was like the best evar and stuff. Honestly, I liked it so much one of the fist things I got when I first started getting a pay check was a newfoundland. He was Black tho.. and er.. a Newfoundland. I think the dog in the Cartoon was supposedly a Burmese? heh. I dunno from dogs. Smile

There used to be a B&S thread here actually. Seach may find it if yo uare interested.

Anyway, totally out of left field, this show you remember being like Voltron only earlier.. it would not be.. voltron, by any chance? There was two of them, after all. The awesomeness of LION, and the.. vehicle.. one.

Gigantor, mebbe? yeah its a streach, I know.

Ever watch Marine Boy or Robo Story? nothing like what yo described, but really old and soper cool. Well, Marine Boy was at least. heh.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website Yahoo Messenger
Tim
Hajime Saitou

PostPosted: Thu Jan 22, 2009 12:38 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote
Belle: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Great_Pyrenees

Meanwhile, I'd second the suggestion of maybe it was Robotech? It seems obscene to have Robotech missing from that list. Smile
Kirben
Nene Romanova

PostPosted: Thu Jan 22, 2009 1:22 pm    Post subject: Re: Mecha on early 80's Aus TV?? Reply with quote
SpoonMan wrote:
However I think there is still one missing. I remember a mecha type anime series predating Voltron, perhaps on the ABC in 1984 (give or take a few years). I remember thinking Voltron was a rip off and the original was better. But I can't for the life of me remember its name. Would it have been Gundam? Or can someone make other suggestions?

Maybe Battle of the Planets?
Greoboruri
Nene Romanova

PostPosted: Thu Jan 22, 2009 4:12 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote
Was Saber Rider and the Star Sheriffs ever screened here? I'm sure it never screened on ABC, but maybe on commercial TV. I was in country areas in the 1980's and we moved a few times to different towns, so ABC was the only consentient. Most commercial country stations at the time played a mix of the city commercial networks or got their content from one commercial station only. So my knowledge of what the three urban commercial stations played is limited.

Also the Turner Network version of "Battle of the Planets (Gatchaman)", "G-Force" which was broadcast on Ten. On the non anime side of things, there was show called "Adventures of the Galaxy Rangers" which I think may have played here.

But Gundam (1979) has only been dubbed into English once (by Bandai around 2001) and has never been broadcast on free to air TV in Australia.
kbz333
Kiichi Goto

PostPosted: Thu Jan 22, 2009 4:16 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote
hedanny - burmese are cats :p
Kirben
Nene Romanova

PostPosted: Thu Jan 22, 2009 4:37 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote
Greoboruri wrote:
Also the Turner Network version of "Battle of the Planets (Gatchaman)", "G-Force" which was broadcast on Ten.

Eagle Riders (adaption of later Gatchaman series) was shown on Cheez TV n Ten too.

Greoboruri wrote:
On the non anime side of things, there was show called "Adventures of the Galaxy Rangers" which I think may have played here.

Yes, the Adventures of the Galaxy Rangers was shown on Agro's Cartoon Connection on Seven in the past.
SpoonMan
Doraemon

PostPosted: Fri Jan 23, 2009 1:33 am    Post subject: Reply with quote
BINGO! I'm pretty sure HeDanny has hit the nail on the head. I had forgotten there were two Voltron series. Pretty sure it was the Vehicle Voltron that I was into. However I'm a bit confused because the wikipedia article says Lion Force Voltron was first, but my memory seems to tell me that the Vehicle were first. At least on Aussie TV. Maybe all those bongs back in uni days manage to wipe my childhood memory. Confused

@Majin Cell. Cheers for the suggestion. I never got into Robotech but might now give it another chance. I've just started watching the Gundam 0079 and am loving it. I did have a Robotech game on my old Amiga 1000 I used to love. Anyway, pretty sure it not the missing mecha series.

@kbz333 & HeDanny. Great to hear I wasn't the only B&S fan. I suspect it was my all time favorite but would need to re-watch it to be sure. I've manage to source all episode of the other show in my list, but none of B&S. Seems only a French dub version is available on DVD but no English dubs floating about.

@Kirben. It wasn't Battle of the Planets. In fact that was another one that didn't do it for me. Not sure why, I think I was a fussy 10 year old. Thanks for the suggestion anyway.

BTW, thanks for all the input everyone! I really didn't expect much response. Madman Forums rock! Very Happy

Last edited by SpoonMan on Fri Jan 23, 2009 3:00 am; edited 1 time in total
HeDanny
Grumpy Old Man

PostPosted: Fri Jan 23, 2009 2:29 am    Post subject: Reply with quote
Damn I am good. Very Happy

THe Burmese was a joke. she was a Pyranese. I actually thought any fan of the show would have known that and had a chuckle at the obvious confused name, thus the "I don't know from Dogs" comment. Ah well.
as an aside, these are newfoundlands. Best. dogs. ever.

The "T" word (rhymes wit h.. er.. current?) is not welcome here dude. especially in the contest of what you are mentioning. for serious edit that out before you get your arse modded. Its obvious you have great taste so it would be a pitty to see you made to sit in the time out corner so soon after getting here.

Gatchaman is a series I am rather miffed I never actually got around to buying. WOuld have been great to see, considering how much I loved BotP when I was a tack. I actually had one of their watches. Would run around at "little lunch" (what we called recess when I was in my single digits and short pants) transmuting fomr my uniform into my .. er.. well. still my uniform, but it was way cooler than it sounds!

Then again, I almost drowned myself trying to use Arrowmint as Oxygum when I was a munchkin as well. I blame the canteen for that. I kept asking them for "oxygum" and they kept telling me the stock had not arrived yet, or the truck was late, or they just sold the last one.. etc. so I had to resort to Arrowmint instead. I considered trying Big Red, but it, obviously, was not the right color, so obviously that would not work.

yeah.. I was a real tard as a kid. not much has changed. Very Happy
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website Yahoo Messenger
SpoonMan
Doraemon

PostPosted: Fri Jan 23, 2009 3:14 am    Post subject: Reply with quote
Cheers for the heads up mate. Offending word removed. I would2nt want to star a turrent of abuse Smile
kbz333
Kiichi Goto

PostPosted: Fri Jan 23, 2009 9:07 am    Post subject: Reply with quote
@ spoonman - lion force WAS on first - never saw the vehicle force version...
Mad Anime Fan
Banned

PostPosted: Fri Jan 23, 2009 10:13 am    Post subject: Reply with quote
Just an FYI if you want Madman has both Voltron series.
And I am a fan of Vehicle Voltron myself more then Lion.
kbz333
Kiichi Goto

PostPosted: Fri Jan 23, 2009 11:37 am    Post subject: Reply with quote
yeah i know that they do - i picked up all 5 volumes of lion force when that half price sale was on...
SG-B
Arumi Asahina

PostPosted: Fri Jan 23, 2009 1:03 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote
SpoonMan wrote:
BINGO! I'm pretty sure HeDanny has hit the nail on the head. I had forgotten there were two Voltron series. Pretty sure it was the Vehicle Voltron that I was into. However I'm a bit confused because the wikipedia article says Lion Force Voltron was first, but my memory seems to tell me that the Vehicle were first. At least on Aussie TV. Maybe all those bongs back in uni days manage to wipe my childhood memory. Confused

Lion Voltron was shown first.
Mad Anime Fan
Banned

PostPosted: Fri Jan 23, 2009 1:28 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote
kbz333 wrote:
yeah i know that they do - i picked up all 5 volumes of lion force when that half price sale was on...
I was also talking about Vehicle.
It's a decent series in it's own way.
You may like Lion more though.

And before I should've said I was talking to Spoonman.
black_ops
Banned

PostPosted: Fri Feb 20, 2009 3:11 am    Post subject: Reply with quote
most mecha anime series floating around in the early to mid 80's

astroboy abc, new series and reruns 7&10, dvd r4 release madman

battle of the planet: ABC, there's about 3-4 names for this show depends on the license it was broadcast under.. dvd r4 release madman

Voltron vehicle: ABC was aired 1st followed by lion voltron, seven aried the 3d cgi version and later did a mini air of the original voltron lion release... dvd r4 release madman

robotech was a stable runner on 9 c'mon kids and later on as a saturday morning cartoon on a week rotation from 85-89, 10 did start to air reruns, though suddenly stopped after cease order was issued, until recent years this series has been a powder keg in the courts... dvd r4 release madman 4-5 versions

zoids 7&10

star blazers abc, series 1 only may part of series 2.. all 3 series were release to the r4 market bey madman.
sailor moon 7 & 10 up to sailor stars was aired, though sadly the dvd release was a complete falure.. dvd r4 release madman

inspector gadget abc, reruns and new series aired on 7&10

pokemon 7&10 magna pacific r4 release

digimon 7&10 magna pacific r4 release

C.O.P.S. 9, 7 limited and 10 liimited
galaxy rangers 7

until the last couple years gundam hasn't been aired FTA tv, though it's played to death on pay tv
3 gundam series by madman, for the remaining series it's r1 imports
Mad Anime Fan
Banned

PostPosted: Fri Feb 20, 2009 12:05 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote
Um Zoids wasn't in the 90s.

Inspectector Gadget and COPS aren't mech shows

Get your info right Black_Ops
Jimbo
Kuu

PostPosted: Fri Feb 20, 2009 1:22 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote
Ah brings back alot of memories I do miss weekend anime shows I used to wake up at 6 in the morning with out fail but now there is nothing worth to see any more in the morning all the news shows taken over Sad.
Majin Cell
Michelle Chan

PostPosted: Fri Feb 20, 2009 2:43 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote
black_ops wrote:

robotech was a stable runner on 9 c'mon kids and later on as a saturday morning cartoon on a week rotation from 85-89, 10 did start to air reruns, though suddenly stopped after cease order was issued, until recent years this series has been a powder keg in the courts... dvd r4 release madman 4-5 versions

Robotech was shown on channel 7's Agro's Cartoon Connection weekdays at 8:30am. Might have been on different channels in different parts of Australia but it was definently shown on channel 7 in Victoria.
Greoboruri
Nene Romanova

PostPosted: Fri Feb 20, 2009 4:39 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote
Mad Anime Fan wrote:
Get your info right Black_Ops
Hey that's no fun. What, you don't believe Ten was playing an Arabic dub of "Ebichu Minds the House" with French subtitles in prime time in the 1960's until Benito Mussolini sued them for breach of copyright? It must be true, Black_Ops said it happened.

Page 1 of 1

Jump to: