Usergroups  ·  Register ·    Profile  ·  Log in to check your private messages  ·   Log in     

Warner Brothers making a Death Note movie

Warner Brothers making a Death Note movie
Author
Banned

PostPosted: Sat May 02, 2009 4:16 am    Post subject: Warner Brothers making a Death Note movie Reply with quote
http://scifiwire.com/2009/05/warner-adapting-japanese.php

Warner Brothers has acquired rights to turn the Japanese manga series Death Note into a live-action film, Variety reported.

The studio has hired screenwriters Charley and Vlas Parlapanides to adapt.

The story centers on a college student who accidentally finds a misplaced "death note," infusing him with the power to kill merely by writing anyone's name on the page while picturing the person in his mind.

The 13-volume manga is a best-seller in Japan, and the film will be drawn from the first three installments, written by Tsugumi Ohba and illustrated by Takeshi Obata for Shueisha Inc.
Renton7
Mayuko Chigasaki

PostPosted: Sat May 02, 2009 10:47 am    Post subject: Reply with quote
Well we knew it was coming, just didn't know when, see how it goes. I doubt many people will like it, but if this is released to theatres non-anime watchers may become interested in the anime or manga. Especially seeing as this is going to follow the manga, not the original 2 live action movies from Japan.
Loomis
Lin Minmay

Location: In the Twilight of My Youth (also Sydney, Australia)

PostPosted: Sat May 02, 2009 11:12 am    Post subject: Reply with quote
It is just the sort of story that should work theatrically, as it has all the epic elements. The only concern, of course, is turning something that is episodic into a single 2-hour (give or take) film. That said, a recent lot of comic book movies have done it, so why not?

I'm still reading the manga and am yet to turn to the TV series (although I have watched the initial episodes).

Just wonder how some of the elements will go down with a US mainstream audience. Or at least, how studios perceive a US mainstream audience. "Can we make it a Death iPhone? Nobody writes anymore. Oh, and Death God? Can he be a bit more marketable?"

That said, there ARE already plush toys out there...
Renton7
Mayuko Chigasaki

PostPosted: Sat May 02, 2009 5:45 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote
The way it should be looked at, and the way it sounds like it's being looked at, is are they targeting this to Death note fans (anime fans), or just your regular person looking to go see a movie. With anime being a niche market, it would be stupid to spend millions and not target it to your average movie lover. I think people will look at and think "Death Note, what's that? Looks interesting", whilst all anime watchers would already have an idea.
oscilator
Minawa Andou

PostPosted: Sat May 02, 2009 7:41 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote
i would prefer they stuck closer to the manga than the japanese live actions
Rafira
Hajime Saitou

PostPosted: Sat May 02, 2009 9:22 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote
I vote it's a total disaster.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website MSN Messenger
Travku
Kagami Hiiragi

PostPosted: Sat May 02, 2009 9:50 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote
I read recently that Ben Stiller and Jack Black were attached to this, trying to recall what magazine it was in but cannot recall atm, will try to find it and will edit this post accordingly when I do.
Mad Anime Fan
Banned

PostPosted: Sat May 02, 2009 9:59 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote
In my first post in the Death Note forums.
I just hope Hollywood and namely WB get it right, if they do maybe Hollywood will slowly learn some lessons.
Although I can bet this would end up as 2-4 movie trilogy for Death Note to cover everything properly.
oscilator
Minawa Andou

PostPosted: Sat May 02, 2009 11:08 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote
Travku wrote:
I read recently that Ben Stiller and Jack Black were attached to this, trying to recall what magazine it was in but cannot recall atm, will try to find it and will edit this post accordingly when I do.

god neither of them would fit any role
Renton7
Mayuko Chigasaki

PostPosted: Sun May 03, 2009 2:19 am    Post subject: Reply with quote
Ben Stiller and Jack Black? wtf. This is not Death Note: a Comedy. I think this movie will thought of most poorly among anime fans until viewed, then actual thoughts can be properly made. As I said before though, this movie would not solely be for anime watchers, meaning they must be thinking something to get it right for both groups.
Jimbo
Kuu

PostPosted: Sun May 03, 2009 2:58 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote
I cant see ben and jack playing L and Light might turn into battle of comedy instead battle of the mind and wits.
Godly-Effect
Doraemon

PostPosted: Mon May 04, 2009 12:47 am    Post subject: Reply with quote
Rafira wrote:
I vote it's a total disaster.

Let's get this down.
A live action Death Note movie has already been made before.
Live action Death Note movie was apparently very very well done.
I've read that some people preferred the live action movie over the anime.
Rafira
Hajime Saitou

PostPosted: Mon May 04, 2009 1:57 am    Post subject: Reply with quote
Godly-Effect wrote:
[..]

Let's get this down.
A live action Death Note movie has already been made before.
Live action Death Note movie was apparently very very well done.
I've read that some people preferred the live action movie over the anime.

But this is America we're talking about. Remember that thing called 'Dragon Ball revolution'?

....Zack Efron, for crying out loud.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website MSN Messenger
Neonyx
Minawa Andou

PostPosted: Mon May 04, 2009 9:14 am    Post subject: Reply with quote
I actually saw the original Death Note movies before I saw the anime, and I enjoyed them (the manga is still better though). But I will agree with Rafira to a certain extent. Perhaps it wouldn't be so bad if they used unknown actors, and kept the changes to a minimum.
As for Ben Stiller and Jack Black, maybe they could be directing or something like that? Or be in it, but just be bystanders in the background.. The very far background.. Being normal.. If they can.
cannibalkid
Doraemon

PostPosted: Mon May 04, 2009 4:47 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote
it will be only targeted at the average person. Not anime fans. If it was targeted at the anime fans they would make less money. However if they make it for average people and cast zac efron as light to kick off his "serious acting" career they will make a but load. Also if they made ben stiller and jack black the lowest production jobs that ensures an extra million from audience alone.
animefreak.97
Koishi Herikawa

PostPosted: Mon May 04, 2009 5:39 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote
Oh No! Stupid Hollywood and there poorness(Is that a word?). Their running out of ideas so they just look at the anime industry and say 'Great Idea Everybody'
Renton7
Mayuko Chigasaki

PostPosted: Mon May 04, 2009 6:09 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote
cannibalkid wrote:
it will be only targeted at the average person. Not anime fans. If it was targeted at the anime fans they would make less money. However if they make it for average people and cast zac efron as light to kick off his "serious acting" career they will make a but load. Also if they made ben stiller and jack black the lowest production jobs that ensures an extra million from audience alone.

My points exactly.
Foxy
Koyomi Mizuhara

PostPosted: Mon May 04, 2009 10:06 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote
cannibalkid wrote:

I agree but it means there will be many disappointed people.......Remakes and things never really turn out i dont think this one will be any different, i just hope it doesnt ruin the death note name because it is such a good anime series and manga
"Im like your modern day vampire. Except I dont like drinking blood, I dont hate garlic, sunshine doesnt directly kill me, and I dont file a tax return as undead. And a steak to the heart screws me too"
Renton7
Mayuko Chigasaki

PostPosted: Mon May 04, 2009 10:42 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote
Foxy wrote:
I agree but it means there will be many disappointed people.......Remakes and things never really turn out i dont think this one will be any different, i just hope it doesnt ruin the death note name because it is such a good anime series and manga

With that being said it will only be ruined for anime/Death Note fans, others won't know the difference.
cannibalkid
Doraemon

PostPosted: Tue May 05, 2009 8:00 am    Post subject: Reply with quote
Foxy wrote:
[..]

they don't care if lots of people are disapointed. If they are disapointed they must of seen it which means they know they have are money so I don't think they really care. They only want us to see it. Any way we should look on the bright side. THey can't fit it all well in one film and if it follows the trail of Dragon Ball Evolution it will flunk in 3 weeks teaching them a lesson they'll never forget(especialy to that lardo jack black if he's involved)
Travku
Kagami Hiiragi

PostPosted: Tue May 05, 2009 3:50 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote
Just regarding my earlier post which mentions Jack Black, I remembered that it was in Anime Insider that I read this and it was in response to a reader asking whether or not the rumour about Zac Efron being in this adaptation was true.
The editor or 'answer' person replied that Efron was not in it but Owen Wilson and Ben Stiller were.
I can't find the magazine as my stuff is all over the place at the moment so it may have been a tongue-in-cheek kind of response just to stir the reader up even more.
cannibalkid
Doraemon

PostPosted: Wed May 06, 2009 5:57 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote
That makes very little difference to how terrible it will be. But its going to be forever til its released and maybe the financial crisis will get them. That maybe a bit cruel to say about such a studio but I don't even think warner brothers can pull this one off
oscilator
Minawa Andou

PostPosted: Wed May 06, 2009 8:08 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote
warner brothers isnt going bankrupt any time soo and death note unlike dragon ball is an anime thatadapts to live action well just watch the japanese live action so this could be realy good if done well
cannibalkid
Doraemon

PostPosted: Fri May 08, 2009 8:31 am    Post subject: Reply with quote
the Japanese version is awesome i've seen it. The americans are infamous for ruining anime. The only anime film i'm lookin forward to is akira just because its based on the manga and the manga is 1000 times better than the anime.
oscilator
Minawa Andou

PostPosted: Fri May 08, 2009 1:17 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote
cannibalkid wrote:
the Japanese version is awesome i've seen it. The americans are infamous for ruining anime. The only anime film i'm lookin forward to is akira just because its based on the manga and the manga is 1000 times better than the anime.

what how can they be imfamous they have only made like 3 adaptians
Renton7
Mayuko Chigasaki

PostPosted: Fri May 08, 2009 10:56 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote
cannibalkid wrote:

Ummm...

Death Note (USA live action release) is going to follow the manga, but only V1-3.
Travku
Kagami Hiiragi

PostPosted: Sat May 09, 2009 12:22 am    Post subject: Reply with quote
cannibalkid wrote:
The americans are infamous for ruining anime.

Do you really think that anime that has been adapted such as DB is ruined now? The movie might not be the greatest but the anime is still the same.
Or does your statement mean that the adaptations are crap? If they are does that mean if you previously liked the anime that the adaptation is based on then all of a sudden you won't?

What happens if the Akira movie is crap too? Does that mean you will no longer like the manga?
oscilator
Minawa Andou

PostPosted: Sat May 09, 2009 8:56 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote
Travku wrote:
[..]

Do you really think that anime that has been adapted such as DB is ruined now? The movie might not be the greatest but the anime is still the same.
Or does your statement mean that the adaptations are crap? If they are does that mean if you previously liked the anime that the adaptation is based on then all of a sudden you won't?

What happens if the Akira movie is crap too? Does that mean you will no longer like the manga?

i agree 100% with this even if the deathnote movie is the worst movie ever made the origanal manga and anime will be the same and just as great
Godly-Effect
Doraemon

PostPosted: Sun May 10, 2009 1:16 am    Post subject: Reply with quote
Travku wrote:
[..]

Pretty sure the meaning of what he said goes as follows.

In the movie versions of anime/manga, they usually screw it up big time.
They ruin the movie version that is supposed to be based on the anime/manga by having it almost nothing like the anime/manga.

I didn't think people wouldn't understand what he meant.
Travku
Kagami Hiiragi

PostPosted: Sun May 10, 2009 2:06 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote
cannibalkid wrote:
Quote:

I guess the point I am trying to make is that regardless of what Hollywood does with an adaptation of anime or manga, the anime and the manga are still the same and aren't "ruined" at all.
Personally I'd really like to see a really good adaptation come out of Hollywood but even if they don't do it well, the original work is there for everybody to enjoy anyway.
Nobody is forcing us to go see any of these movies so going on and on about how bad they might be before they are even made just seems to be a waste of energy.
I'm diverting a bit from Death Note here as I'm speaking about adaptations in general so from now on I'll continue this in the Madhouse thread:
http://madboards.madman.com.au/viewtopic.php?t=27237
George
Arumi Asahina

PostPosted: Sun May 10, 2009 3:58 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote
cannibalkid wrote:

No, they're not. Not at all. The Japanese have soiled far, far more manga with their anime adaptations. but no-one ever complains about that. Get the I'M TOO DUMB TO FIND OTHER WORDS TO USE SO I USE THE F WORD over yourself.
formal-gal
Doraemon

PostPosted: Sat May 16, 2009 10:45 am    Post subject: Reply with quote
I reckon Tim Minchin would make a good L
Renton7
Mayuko Chigasaki

PostPosted: Sun May 17, 2009 12:05 am    Post subject: Reply with quote
3 things:

1. At first glance I thought your name was Former-Gal, I had to double take that, sorry Sad

2. You aren't allowed .gif files as your profile pic

3. Tim Minchin? The Australian comedian. I don't think he would suit L at all, no comedian could play a re role as serious as L's, although he may be funny in some scenes he's not hilarious, it's just random stuff he says.
formal-gal
Doraemon

PostPosted: Sun May 17, 2009 3:05 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote
1. Thats ok, it's easy making mistakes like that when your up until 1 in the morning. All is forgiven. Wink

2. Evil Neuro is no more, any problem with this one? No, Good.

3. Tim Minchin, I saw him on TV once, he walked on stage kind of hunched over and with the dark eye shadow and that reminded me of L. It was a joke. That's all.

Page 1 of 1

Jump to: