Usergroups  ·  Register ·    Profile  ·  Log in to check your private messages  ·   Log in     

What do you think of the new series so Far.

What do you think of the new series so Far.
Author
Lin Minmay

PostPosted: Sun May 31, 2009 1:45 pm    Post subject: What do you think of the new series so Far. Reply with quote
I am wondering what people think of the new series so far. I don't like how they have the chibi style animation at times and the music needs work, the pacing of the story needs an improvement, as for the story I will wait and see if it gets better. So far the series is not even any where close to being as good as the first series as far as I am concerned.
Mu: You’re right about that. If anything you could use her as a girlfriend.
Natarle: Objection
Slykura
Madman Staff

PostPosted: Sun May 31, 2009 3:49 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote
trust me once it goes in the different direction you will be hooked.
Phoenix85
Ryuk

PostPosted: Sun May 31, 2009 4:08 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote
Okay I kind of agree with you about the music, it's okay, but the music from the last series far outstrips it (but not the opening theme, that is awesome).
As for pacing...well the manga did it FAR better, i think what's screwing with this series a little has been the apparent need to tie in the beginning of the last anime series. BUT, it is still better than the first one in my book, and having read the manga first that's probably got a lot to do with my opinion.
The story itself will blow you away once it really gets going and the chibi animation...I honestly don't see what the problem with it is. It's part of the series (and another way to make Ed go off the deep end).
Hagane_Gir
Gally

PostPosted: Sun May 31, 2009 5:10 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote
The chibi animation scenes are fairly similar to the way Arakawa draws comedic events in the manga, personally I have no problem with it. I definately agree about the music, but I suppose I could get used to it.

It's clear they're trying to rush through what was covered in the first anime series and that has made for some interesting pacing, but I thought the latest two episodes were fairly well done.

I have to say that the more I see of this series, the more I prefer it over the first. That isn't to say I hate the first series, but I don't like the direction it took post-Greed.
The Tragic Man
Tomoyo Daidouji

PostPosted: Sun May 31, 2009 5:13 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote
I think the new series is shortening the beginning of the series to cut down on repetition from the first series, which could have turn people off (eg. "I've seen this before, don't need to see it again"). This is a bit detrimental, as in episode 8, the reference by Al to Ed having something to mention doesn't seem to refernce anything onscreen, as opposed to the manga and first series, where Ed abortedly starts to ask Al a question. The pace just seems to be set to "highlights" at the moment, just capturing enough to tell the story. They've also completely skipped the train hijack and Youswell stories. Yorki will appear out of nowhere later in the series (unless they change the character, which I doubt).
Hagane_Gir
Gally

PostPosted: Sun May 31, 2009 5:23 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote
Wasn't there a file at one point with Yorki's picture on it? I remember somebody talking about him, at least.
RocketJess
Madboard Mod

PostPosted: Sun May 31, 2009 5:59 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote
The Tragic Man wrote:
in episode 8, the reference by Al to Ed having something to mention doesn't seem to refernce anything onscreen, as opposed to the manga and first series, where Ed abortedly starts to ask Al a question.

Actually the scene with Ed and Al talking together wasn't missed; it was in Episode 7.

As to Yoki, they did show his picture and make a quick reference to the Youswell incident while they were looking through files at one point earlier on... so he won't appear out-of-the-blue, though a first-time watcher might not have noticed it as a detail worth remembering.

Overall I think the new series is going a bit quickly so far, but I'm loving the manga-ness of it and I can't wait to see the later parts animated.
oscilator
Minawa Andou

PostPosted: Sun May 31, 2009 10:27 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote
once its gets too where the origanal took a difrent path it will get realy good i just cant wait for ling
Phoenix85
Ryuk

PostPosted: Mon Jun 01, 2009 6:51 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote
RocketJess wrote:
[..]
Actually the scene with Ed and Al talking together wasn't missed; it was in Episode 7.

Yep, right before Armstrong destroyed their door.
I was a little disappointed that the line from Ross about Ed's arm was taken out though.
Loomis
Lin Minmay

Location: In the Twilight of My Youth (also Sydney, Australia)

PostPosted: Mon Jun 01, 2009 8:06 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote
As someone who has no background with the series - I've neither seen the original anime nor read the manga - I am completely hooked on this new series. In fact, it has prompted me to investigate the original series.

It is moving at a cracker of a pace, but this doesn't seem to be at the expense of human drama. Episode 4 ("An Alchemist's Anguish") was a bit of a tearjerker, and was a surprise for me (kinda) having not seen anything about it before. As I've been more into comedy/slice of life anime lately, this is a nice change of pace and I'm completely hooked.
Phoenix85
Ryuk

PostPosted: Tue Jun 02, 2009 10:51 am    Post subject: Reply with quote
Fullmetal Alchemist swaps between comedy and drama so fast you'll end up with whiplash. But that's half the fun.
Godly-Effect
Doraemon

PostPosted: Wed Jun 03, 2009 10:55 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote
Brotherhood is by far much better then the previous series. Especially if you have read the manga.

Ep 9 almost made me cry.
I identify with Ed as well...
Even on the milk thing... Probably why I'm short too.
Travku
Kagami Hiiragi

PostPosted: Thu Jun 04, 2009 3:27 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote
Just watched episode 9, pretty moving stuff. This just keeps getting better. Looks like the next episode is going to pack a bit of an emotional punch.
FireAza
Kiichi Goto

PostPosted: Fri Jun 26, 2009 7:08 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote
I think it has potential to be better than the first series. It's only real flaws is that it currently feels rushed (obviously, they're trying to get past the stuff we've already seen in the first anime to the new stuff) and that the music isn't as good as the first series.
Darth Tallis
Van Fanel

PostPosted: Mon Jul 20, 2009 1:53 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote
Rushed. Yeah, it does seem like that. Especially the earlier episodes. Now all the new twists and turns, characters and situations are coming into it, it's taking on a new life. Seems like a good pay off to me. One that looks to deliver in spades.
And yes, I miss the music of the first series. It was just so epic and helped to add further emotional resonance to the whole thing.
Travku
Kagami Hiiragi

PostPosted: Mon Jul 20, 2009 3:01 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote
I just watched episode 15 and this is pretty much all new content for me. I watched the original series again over the last week whilst I was home sick with the flu and the movie so comparing the two I find that I enjoy both. The music from the first series is missed in the new one, although Again by Yui is a great opening track.
Am looking forward to reading the manga when they get here too.
Malicious_Ninja
Motoko Kusanagi

PostPosted: Wed Aug 12, 2009 10:01 am    Post subject: Reply with quote
I like the old series better, episode 18 was epic though
Fullmetal444
Doraemon

PostPosted: Fri Aug 14, 2009 7:21 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote
i think its awesome Very Happy
Darth Tallis
Van Fanel

PostPosted: Sat Aug 15, 2009 12:18 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote
I have enjoyed it. The new stuff has certainly been cool.
Although, I have to say, I think this series kind of lacks the emotional punch of the first series. Also, I loved how ambiguous things started to get from the middle onwards in the first series, especially in regards to the homunculus.
Phoenix85
Ryuk

PostPosted: Sat Aug 15, 2009 12:57 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote
I have to admit I've fallen behind in this series, which saddens me, but for a while there I was on a really slow connection and didn't want to waste my time, but now I'm back on a better one I can't remember where I got up to...maybe I'll just start again next month
I say next month because one of my bastard housemates has used up 30gig out of our 40 for the month.

In a week.
Mad
UncaBou
Nia Teppelin

PostPosted: Sat Aug 22, 2009 10:44 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote
Now the series is well away from the original it's settled into the same great story telling pace of the original. They definetly sprinted through the earlier content which was a shame and a mistake. Fans of the original would I believe stick with the re-telling while new vewers would have been better introduced to the story. I dissapointed the original character music wasn't carried over. What a great series it is.
FireAza
Kiichi Goto

PostPosted: Sun Aug 23, 2009 12:36 am    Post subject: Reply with quote
I now thing the new series is better than the first one. The last trwo episodes has been amazing, we've got back the drama and clever plots from the first series that were missing too.
UncaBou
Nia Teppelin

PostPosted: Sun Aug 23, 2009 2:13 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote
It's apparent this will be a long run series. I've observed many long run anime tend to become repetitive in senerios. I haven't read the manga, but if the creator has managed to keep the story fresh and interesting, and the anime producers maintain production qualities, it will become an extraordinary anime that will stand the test of time.
The original series is great saga, but I always thought it too short and this is where I believe Brotherhood will surpass the original.
Hagane No Renkinjutsushi
Mayuko Chigasaki

PostPosted: Sun Aug 23, 2009 8:08 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote
is FMA is good

Page 1 of 1

Jump to: