Usergroups  ·  Register ·    Profile  ·  Log in to check your private messages  ·   Log in     

[adult swim]

Goto page Previous  1, 2
[adult swim]
Author
Doraemon

PostPosted: Sun May 02, 2010 2:29 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote
again.its all part of the humor.
Kermi
resonance cascade

PostPosted: Sun May 02, 2010 2:32 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote
Hey guys, remember when Adult Swim was Home Movies, Sealab 2021, Aqua Teen Hunger Force and Space Ghost coast to Coast?

I nostalgia so hard when I think about the old Adult Swim. Do they even do Adult Swim in this country anymore?
Bloodybirdbrain
Doraemon

PostPosted: Sun May 02, 2010 2:36 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote
nah.they have stop airing it.It has came back half-arsed on the comedy channel.The old adult swim is the best.
The Letter P
Koishi Herikawa

PostPosted: Sun May 02, 2010 2:46 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote
FireAza wrote:
Well sure, with shows like South Park, the cheap-looking animation is part of it's charm. But in shows like Aqua Teen Hunger Force, it looks like they've just extracted a few objects from photos using Photoshop and called it a day. It looks cheap and lazy, not at all charming.

I'm guessing you had a point in mind while you typed that, but hell if I know what it is. You haven't actually disagreed with anything in my previous post.

Kermi wrote:
Hey guys, remember when Adult Swim was Home Movies, Sealab 2021, Aqua Teen Hunger Force and Space Ghost coast to Coast

I bought the first season of Space Ghost when it was $10 back in December and really couldn't get into it all. I think there was only one episode that made me genuinely laugh. Does it get better as the seasons progress or... not? On the other hand I loved the Space Ghost special on Squidbillies Vol. 1. "He used to beat me with a jar of turtle penises". Classic.
FireAza
Kiichi Goto

PostPosted: Sun May 02, 2010 3:34 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote
The Letter P wrote:

I'm guessing you had a point in mind while you typed that, but hell if I know what it is. You haven't actually disagreed with anything in my previous post.

My point is, I think a lot of the Adult Swim shows look cheap, in contrast to other limited animation shows that don't look cheap.
Bloodybirdbrain
Doraemon

PostPosted: Sun May 02, 2010 4:31 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote
The Letter P wrote:
Does it get better as the seasons progress or... not?

Actually, yes it does get better.All the later episodes are the most memorable.Particularly Vol.3.
Kermi
resonance cascade

PostPosted: Sun May 02, 2010 6:07 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote
FireAza wrote:
[..]

My point is, I think a lot of the Adult Swim shows look cheap, in contrast to other limited animation shows that don't look cheap.
I guess you have to grow up watching lousy Hanna Babara cartoons to appreciate the use of the crappy animation of shows like Sealab 2021.

Aqua Teen Hunger Force on the other hand has no real excuse, it was a deliberate style choice. The question you have to ask yourself is, would fluid animation make the show any better? The correct answer is no. It's stoner comedy, and despite not being a stoner I find it positively fantastic.

Bloodybirdbrain wrote:
nah.they have stop airing it.It has came back half-arsed on the comedy channel.The old adult swim is the best.
That sucks. Adult Swim used to be the highlight of my week back in high school. I remember Home Movies, SGC2C, The Brak Show, Sealab 2021 and ATHF. Then they started airing anime alongside it, that was how I first saw Gundam Wing, then I got to watch Evangelion again.
Then they started airing Dragonball Z as part of adult swim. :/

Then they stopped showing the good shows, we stopped subscribing to Optus Vision... now years later I have Foxtel again (actually we've had it about 3 years) and... wow, Cartoon Network is terrible. I watch Robot Chicken on the Comedy Channel from time to time but that's about it.
I didn't have pay TV when Venture Bros. was introduced so I've only seen a few episodes. If I had the money I'd definitely get the DVDs.
The Letter P
Koishi Herikawa

PostPosted: Sun May 02, 2010 8:11 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote
FireAza wrote:
[..]

And I’m not arguing with that. My point is that this ‘cheap’ effect is intentional - it does not stem from a poor implementation of animation technique, as you stated back on page 1 of the thread.

Whether or not you enjoy this ‘cheap’ effect is a different matter and comes down to personal preference. I like it, you don't. Doesn't make either of us right or wrong, we just enjoy different things.

Bloodybirdbrain wrote:
[..]

Actually, yes it does get better.All the later episodes are the most memorable.Particularly Vol.3.

Ha! They had Vol. 3 for $10 too. I should have invested! Actually, that reminds me - I think there's an Adult Swim sale at the moment at JB.
Elita One
Hajime Saitou

PostPosted: Sun May 02, 2010 8:26 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote
I need to get Metalocalypse vol 2. Got Vol one after one of my OS mates raved her butt off about it. It is pretty good, if you are a metal fan you will like it.
FireAza
Kiichi Goto

PostPosted: Sun May 02, 2010 8:33 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote
Kermi wrote:
I guess you have to grow up watching lousy Hanna Babara cartoons to appreciate the use of the crappy animation of shows like Sealab 2021.

When I was a kid, I didn't really notice this. Which is funny, because the lushest animation is usually Disney, and considering that Disney's primary audience is kids, this seems like pearls before swine Wink

The Letter P wrote:
And I’m not arguing with that. My point is that this ‘cheap’ effect is intentional - it does not stem from a poor implementation of animation technique, as you stated back on page 1 of the thread.

Whether or not you enjoy this ‘cheap’ effect is a different matter and comes down to personal preference. I like it, you don't. Doesn't make either of us right or wrong, we just enjoy different things.

Jah, so basically you think the cheapness of a lot of Adult Swim shows is perfectly fine, while I'd rather my cheap animation to not look obviously cheap (i.e Harvey Birdman, Venture Bros, nearly all anime etc). I guess there's not much more to say on this subject then eh? Actually, my real beef here is probably with ATHF itself, I loved the Dr. Weird stuff (GENTLEMEN!) at the start of the show, but found the actual show to be pretty dumb. That's probably it.
Bloodybirdbrain
Doraemon

PostPosted: Sun May 02, 2010 9:33 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote
Kermi wrote:
That sucks.

Yes indeed it does.Though i never knew Gundam Wing and Evangelion was in the line-up i started to get into it during its last years of broadcast.Then we got rid of foxtel and now were getting it back soon but you know all the good cartoons are gone.Adult Swim,the anime and the old Cartoon Network toons only come on every now and then...on the contrary they still have the old Nicktoons at night.

The Venture Bros is brilliant.Its actually a very deep and intriguing with a continuing storyline in it, very different from almost every other adult swim cartoon.You should get into it.
FireAza
Kiichi Goto

PostPosted: Sun May 02, 2010 10:26 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote
Bloodybirdbrain wrote:
The Venture Bros is brilliant.Its actually a very deep and intriguing with a continuing storyline in it, very different from almost every other adult swim cartoon.You should get into it.

This. The Venture Bros is pretty much the only Western animation I know of (I guess Daria might count too) that has a continual storyline. It's a great show.
Gouki
Vanilla H

PostPosted: Sun May 02, 2010 11:07 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote
FireAza wrote:
This. The Venture Bros is pretty much the only Western animation I know of (I guess Daria might count too) that has a continual storyline. It's a great show.

Avatar? Justice League? Teen Titans? Wolverine and the X-Men? Spetacular Spider-Man? Gargoyles? Spider-Man The Animated Series? Transformers Animated/Beast Wars/Cybertron/Armada/Energon? Star Wars: Clone Wars? Even Ben bloody 10. They're just off the top of my head and all have ongoing plots that last for the season or the entire show (even if it doesn't always seem apparent).
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website Yahoo Messenger MSN Messenger
Kermi
resonance cascade

PostPosted: Mon May 03, 2010 2:04 am    Post subject: Reply with quote
FireAza wrote:
When I was a kid, I didn't really notice this. Which is funny, because the lushest animation is usually Disney, and considering that Disney's primary audience is kids, this seems like pearls before swine
Yeah, I'm really referring to cartoons my parents grew up watching like The Flintstones and The Jetsons - not to mention the original incarnations of the Adult Swim cartoons: Sealab 2020, Birdman, Space Ghost, etc.

A lot of these come from a time when Disney really only made feature length animated films. Sure, there are older Disney animated TV shows too, but when I think of Disney cartoons I think Darkwing Duck, Duck Tales, Talespin etc. This is I guess when animation started to really take off in the US and probably became easier/cheaper to produce.
Bowie
Kenji Harima

PostPosted: Mon May 03, 2010 5:15 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote
Bloodybirdbrain wrote:
Im happy that im part of a minority that enjoys alot of the adult swim shows.

I'll join you there Cool
Bloodybirdbrain
Doraemon

PostPosted: Mon May 03, 2010 5:28 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote
awesome Bowie!

Does anyone here dig Tim And Eric Awesome Show Great Job?

In my opinion,Its very much hit and miss.Some episodes are freaking hillarious and some are just annoying.Though being a bit adult swim geek its def alot more hit than miss.Season 3 is the best season so far.
FireAza
Kiichi Goto

PostPosted: Tue May 04, 2010 6:58 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote
Gouki wrote:
[..]

Avatar? Justice League? Teen Titans? Wolverine and the X-Men? Spetacular Spider-Man? Gargoyles? Spider-Man The Animated Series? Transformers Animated/Beast Wars/Cybertron/Armada/Energon? Star Wars: Clone Wars? Even Ben bloody 10. They're just off the top of my head and all have ongoing plots that last for the season or the entire show (even if it doesn't always seem apparent).

I've never seen any of those Razz
StorminNorman
Gillard-chan

PostPosted: Tue May 04, 2010 10:58 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote
If you've never seen Gargoyles, you live an incomplete and unfulfilled life. It's possibly the best thing to have ever come out under the Disney banner.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website MSN Messenger
Kermi
resonance cascade

PostPosted: Wed May 05, 2010 8:39 am    Post subject: Reply with quote
While I'm generally against stormo's sweeping statements wherein he tries to make us all feel like cavemen for not liking the things he likes, Gargoyles is seriously great. How did you not catch this show when you were a kid?
Bloodybirdbrain
Doraemon

PostPosted: Wed May 05, 2010 3:05 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote
ahhhh Gargoyles. They dont make cartoons like they used to.Thats one of the reason why i like adult swim.
Gouki
Vanilla H

PostPosted: Wed May 05, 2010 8:22 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote
FireAza wrote:
I've never seen any of those Razz

You're lack of taste and interest in good is shocking.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website Yahoo Messenger MSN Messenger
joshcrazy25
Doraemon

PostPosted: Sun May 16, 2010 3:28 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote
anyone been watching Metalocalypse season 3?

"To Be, or not to be. That is a guestion."

Buy Video Games for Consoles and PC - From Japan, Korea and other Regions at Play-Asia.com>
Bloodybirdbrain
Doraemon

PostPosted: Sun May 16, 2010 6:40 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote
yeh i have.Its a little more relieving to see a story go on for a little longer than 10 mins.
oscilator
Minawa Andou

PostPosted: Mon May 17, 2010 2:46 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote
while not technically an adult swim show has and one been watching Adam Reeds (sealab 2021 & frisky dingo creator) new show Archer its curretly running on fox 8 and in my opinion its his best work yet
Bloodybirdbrain
Doraemon

PostPosted: Mon May 17, 2010 3:02 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote
I second that.
mikezilla2
Lin Minmay

PostPosted: Sun Mar 05, 2017 1:59 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote
trying to track down the AUS blu ray relase of Black Dynamite S1 Confused

Page 2 of 2

Jump to: