Usergroups  ·  Register ·    Profile  ·  Log in to check your private messages  ·   Log in     

A question about Madman's Zeta DVDs.

A question about Madman's Zeta DVDs.
Author
Hajime Saitou

PostPosted: Wed Jul 07, 2010 7:40 pm    Post subject: A question about Madman's Zeta DVDs. Reply with quote
Quote:
North American release

In 2004, after almost 2 years of delays and failed television and merchandising deals, Bandai released a limited edition Zeta Gundam boxset with dubbed English and original Japanese audio tracks. The English dub was done by Blue Water Studios based in Calgary.

Due to Bandai not having rights to the theme songs outside of Asia, the opening and closing sequences were altered. The English subtitles were criticized as inaccurate and appear to be based on the script for the English dub, rather than a direct translation of the original Japanese script. Bandai corrected the subtitles to a properly translated version for later DVD releases in 5 cases with 2 discs each. The box-set includes pencil sharpener collectibles and a 48-page booklet and poster. Each DVD in the Bandai Region 2 release contains five episodes.

Will Madman's releases have Z - Toki Wo Koeke/Zeta - Beyond Time & Mizu no Hoshi he Ai wo komete/From the Star of Water and what subtitles will we get?
Slykura
Madman Staff

PostPosted: Thu Jul 08, 2010 10:01 am    Post subject: Reply with quote
Our release will be using the subtitles from the updated DVDs. Our DVDs won't contain the original opening theme. There are still rights issues with the use of this outside of Japan. It's entirely out of our hands.
TidalWave_Jeannette
Mayuko Chigasaki

PostPosted: Tue Aug 10, 2010 11:08 pm    Post subject: So... Reply with quote
...you can't afford to pay the royalty costs for those theme songs? Or the artists who did those songs not known to us, or they being a d**k and not forking out the license?

Well, if I had a freer hand, I'd say, 'Screw Japanese copyright law, the original Japanese opening and closing themes stay, and if their lawyers have a problem and come to my place to stop me, I'll gun them down.'

But since we can't, we need to find a way to better establish relations with those Japanese recording companies. We really need to do that.

PS. Will you be getting the rights to Gundam Double Zeta in due course?
Slykura
Madman Staff

PostPosted: Wed Aug 11, 2010 7:38 am    Post subject: Reply with quote
You'll find that in all cases the songs from Zeta aren't used pretty much anywhere. In pretty much all of the recent Gundam Vs. Games The Zeta Gundam op /ed themes aren't even used for stage bgms unlike practically all of the other Gundam shows.

It would also mean remastering the video and soundtrack just to fit the song in, which would be an extremely long process due to the fact that the masters for the English dialogue has the changed theme already.

as for ZZ. It all depends on if Bandai release it. There's been no indication that they will.
Nargun
Siegfried Kircheis

PostPosted: Wed Aug 11, 2010 8:38 am    Post subject: Reply with quote
Slykura wrote:
as for ZZ. It all depends on if Bandai release it. There's been no indication that they will.

But of course. Bandai only deal in anime, and it's been well-established that ZZ isn't.
Knight of L-sama
Tina Foster

PostPosted: Wed Aug 11, 2010 6:06 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote
Nargun wrote:

But of course. Bandai only deal in anime, and it's been well-established that ZZ isn't.

Boo! {throws rotten tomatoes}
SGD_Eirikr
Hajime Saitou

PostPosted: Sat Aug 14, 2010 12:32 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote
Slykura wrote:

I choose to take this as a good sign towards us getting Turn A and maybe even 0079.
sonar
Hajime Saitou

PostPosted: Thu Sep 23, 2010 12:45 am    Post subject: Reply with quote
Counting the days until the Zeta release now!

Can I toss my hat in the ring for some consideration of 0080 next? I thoroughly enjoyed that story and I'd love to see it get a local release.. Very Happy

Page 1 of 1

Jump to: