Usergroups  ·  Register ·    Profile  ·  Log in to check your private messages  ·   Log in     

"Despatch"...aren't we Australians?

"Despatch"...aren't we Australians?
Author
Minawa Andou

PostPosted: Sat Oct 23, 2010 11:11 pm    Post subject: "Despatch"...aren't we Australians? Reply with quote
This is not a major issue, nor will it affect anyone or anything if it stayed the same or changed, however I noticed when I checked my orders, it was labeled "Invoiced and Despatched".

According to Wikipedia "despatch" is the old spelling of the word from British English. For starters, unless I am mistaken, Madman is an Australian company, so I think that it should use the Australian spelling for stuff as part of its image. Also do British still spell the word with an "e"??

Being in Australia, which is constantly being churned over with different people from different parts of the world, we are constantly learning and ditching new terms and spellings and all sorts of what not and with the boom in computers and internet slang, most people's vocabulary and spelling has (I think) has gotten incredibly bad due to laziness and influence. Now I don't know the stats but there must be a ton of people who check their Madman orders...are we going to teach them to use old spellings and help turn everyone into red squiggly lines (as is the word "despatch" comes up in this post editor), or are we going to do something about it :p

Like I said, not a big deal, but if I was in charge of the website, I'd see it as something bad for the image that there's a technically miss-spelled word on my website...but that's just me :p
Sylontack
Belldandy

PostPosted: Sat Oct 23, 2010 11:24 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote
Madman is just classy that way, using old English
speedfreek19
Itsuki Koizumi

PostPosted: Sat Oct 23, 2010 11:36 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote
First of all, you're over thinking it.

Secondly, I'm sure Nargun will step in to provide proper answers with the language itself.

3rdly, I always thought we spelt with British English, so is it not usual to spell as such with Brit Eng? I never thought there was an "australian" spelling
The Tragic Man
Tomoyo Daidouji

PostPosted: Sun Oct 24, 2010 12:47 am    Post subject: Reply with quote
Just flicked through a handy Collins dictionary, and it says despatch is just a less common spelling of dispatch. English is wonderful in that there is not necessarily only one way to spell a word. Deal with it.
Mr Waffle
TEH WAFFLES!!11!

PostPosted: Sun Oct 24, 2010 1:00 am    Post subject: Reply with quote
If THIS is an issue worth complaining about, then Madman must be doing something right. Laughing
kbz333
Kiichi Goto

PostPosted: Sun Oct 24, 2010 12:59 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote
My handy Collins Australian English dictionary says it's the same as dispatch. Hell, I never even noticed till now. And yes, I did go to check. Wait for SMK, he might just have something to say about this too, being so grammatically correct Very Happy
Darth Tallis
Van Fanel

PostPosted: Mon Oct 25, 2010 3:01 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote
I noticed it, but I never gave a toss. It's still correct.
Travku
Kagami Hiiragi

PostPosted: Mon Oct 25, 2010 4:03 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote
I think this is an outrage and everybody who posts in this thread should get a $1000 voucher from Madman. How dare they offer a correct alternative to such an important word! Razz
The Letter P
Koishi Herikawa

PostPosted: Mon Oct 25, 2010 4:06 pm    Post subject: Re: "Despatch"...aren't we Australians? Reply with quote
Low Lines wrote:
According to Wikipedia "despatch" is the old spelling of the word from British English. For starters, unless I am mistaken, Madman is an Australian company, so I think that it should use the Australian spelling for stuff as part of its image. Also do British still spell the word with an "e"??

I only just realised how hilarious that paragraph is. I need to start drinking coffee or something.
Knight of L-sama
Tina Foster

PostPosted: Mon Oct 25, 2010 5:14 pm    Post subject: Re: "Despatch"...aren't we Australians? Reply with quote
Low Lines wrote:
According to Wikipedia "despatch" is the old spelling of the word from British English. For starters, unless I am mistaken, Madman is an Australian company, so I think that it should use the Australian spelling for stuff as part of its image.

... you do realise that unless its using words from a uniquely Australian vernacular (which is is not) that Australian English tends to following British English spellings in excess of 90% of the time.

And is anyone else suddenly having flashbacks to this thread?
Kimura
BT

PostPosted: Mon Oct 25, 2010 7:21 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote
Travku wrote:
I think this is an outrage and everybody who posts in this thread should get a $1000 voucher from Madman. How dare they offer a correct alternative to such an important word! Razz

Laughing Laughing

I noticed it also. I dont really care because despite the fact that we are "Australian", we still use the British English spelling for the majority of our words.
The Tragic Man
Tomoyo Daidouji

PostPosted: Mon Oct 25, 2010 7:38 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote
British English? Cockny is a British form of English. Why don't we use that, guv'nor? Cor blimey, that'll set the cat among the pigeons.
Kimura
BT

PostPosted: Tue Oct 26, 2010 11:30 am    Post subject: Reply with quote
Well considering we dont speak in Cockney dialect I don't really see the point lol. But I wouldn't care if we did use that spelling either haha.
bleach elite
Hajime Saitou

PostPosted: Tue Oct 26, 2010 7:42 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote
didnt british invent english and they can't speek it properly Question W.T.F
Sephiroth_FF
Kenshin Himura

PostPosted: Mon Nov 01, 2010 1:09 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote
Regarding the use of slang and laziness with the way people are talking, I couldn't agree with you more Low Lines. The way people talk these days is utterly ridiculous. They shorten words, they overuse others ("awesome" comes to mind straight away) and they make up these stupid ways of spelling words.

Page 1 of 1

Jump to: