Usergroups  ·  Register ·    Profile  ·  Log in to check your private messages  ·   Log in     

The Founding of a Republic

The Founding of a Republic
Author
Doraemon

PostPosted: Tue Sep 29, 2009 8:04 pm    Post subject: The Founding of a Republic Reply with quote
Good cast list
http://www.imdb.com/title/tt1438461/fullcredits#cast

Pity it is a propaganda movie.
SethM
Washu Hakubi

PostPosted: Mon Feb 22, 2010 7:30 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote
I think it being a propaganda movie makes it all the more interesting. Not that I agree with their philosophies, but definitely an insight into what makes the country what it is.
Lexx-2
Doraemon

PostPosted: Sat Nov 27, 2010 12:29 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote
SethM wrote:
I think it being a propaganda movie makes it all the more interesting. Not that I agree with their philosophies, but definitely an insight into what makes the country what it is.

True. I saw this with a couple of mates when it was in cinemas. The flyers I'd seen promoting it were so badly written that we thought it was some kind of doco with star contributions. But no, it's an excruciatingly dull, and suprisingly cheap-looking propaganda war film. The battle scenes are remarkably brief (and punctuated with shoddy CGI), while scenes of committee meetings go on forever. Also, if you can't read or speak Chinese, it's tough to know who's who as the subtitles introducing each character aren't translated into English!

But as sheer, blatant propaganda, it IS often hilarious, especially the beatific depiction of Mao and the young women (one of which is played by Zhyi Zhang) who tell him the new Chinese flag makes them "excited".

Page 1 of 1

Jump to: