Usergroups  ·  Register ·    Profile  ·  Log in to check your private messages  ·   Log in     

The Melancholy of Haruhi Suzumiya

Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 10, 11, 12
The Melancholy of Haruhi Suzumiya
Author
Kagami Yagami

PostPosted: Tue Dec 02, 2008 12:17 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote
Taken as a collection of seperate storylines (which it is), there's nothing wrong with the reveals and pacing in chronological order. Broadcast and chronological order work equally well.
brocko
Lin Minmay

PostPosted: Wed Dec 03, 2008 11:34 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote
^ I beg to differ... well... atleast for the first time you're watching it anyway lol =P

Jester the reason why I suggested the broadcast order for first time viewers is that the extra tension and suspense it creates is a one time thing, it only works once and only in a first time viewing. Any viewings after the first isn't much affected by order imo, but the first time you view the series must be in broadcast order or else the impact and effect is all but lost and gone I'm afraid.

The strength of the broadcast order is that it allows for a climatic ending by lengthening the major story arc. It creates suspense and mystery by with-holding key information that you already should've known but don't.

An excellent example would be the split between The Melancholy of Haruhi Suzumiya II and III. TMoHS II ends in pretty a suspenceful cliff-hanger already with Yuki revealing herself as non-human cross-tables from Kyon, but the suspense and mystery is then further amplified in the very next broadcasted episode (The Boredom of Haruhi Suzumiya/Baseball episode) where it displays Yuki using her abilities before it is even explained. More mysteries are presented in the episode by exposing us to Itsuki, a character who hasn't properly been introduced yet (which is also the reason why I loved Adventures of Asahina Mikuru as an opening episode because it foreshadowed and indirectly introduced everyone so perfectly) along with the foreshadow of the series ending, helping build upto that final climax.

Similarly in Lone Island Syndrome and Mystérique Sign where we find out that the events that took place had been set up by the characters themselves (or paritally in Mystérique Sign), we begin to wonder whether Itsuki's theory on Haruhi, told earlier in TMoHS III, just episodes earlier holds any truth at all.

While true the broadcast order may be abit confusing at first, it should all make sense by the end of it as the original main 6 episodes(TMoHS I - VI) are still coherantly in order, only just lengthened through the inseration of sidestory type episode (that are pretty much self-contained and don't require much of a chronological viewing imo).

When you really take a closer at the broadcast order however, you can see that alot of thought had been put into it and it isn't just a simple mash of random episodes put together. It's the little details that you notice and pick up as you watch and re-watch through it, that really makes appreciate you Haruhi imo.
JESTER
Ruri Hoshino

PostPosted: Thu Dec 04, 2008 7:27 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote
brocko. I can understand your reasoning, but me to have watched it that way, proberly would have me getting extremely peeved off. I might even have snapped the discs before I got around to the final dvd.

Basically, a series about keeping one girl interested and happy otherwise she'll either destroy or recreate the world doesn't excite me. It just felt shallow by the end of it.

When travelling, set no limits. Just experience it, live the moment and enjoy the ride.
Haruhi Suzumiya
Hajime Saitou

PostPosted: Sat Dec 20, 2008 8:36 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote
brocko wrote:

the reason why I suggested the broadcast order for first time viewers is that the extra tension and suspense it creates is a one time thing, it only works once and only in a first time viewing. Any viewings after the first isn't much affected by order imo, but the first time you view the series must be in broadcast order or else the impact and effect is all but lost and gone I'm afraid.

I beg to differ that. I watched the modified MOHS then the broadcast one afterwards, and I felt the broadcast order was just a waste of time.

I got the whole impact of greatness from TMOHS when watching it, in the changed format. The original order made me say "Like so what?"
attitude and all that.

I could have done without watching it, but whatever I like totally enjoyed it both ways anyway.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website AIM Address Yahoo Messenger MSN Messenger
brocko
Lin Minmay

PostPosted: Sun Dec 21, 2008 6:05 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote
That's because you saw the broadcast order second, all the impact it had was already gone by then. It's like being revealed the secrets of a magic trick and going "that ain't so special" afterwards once you know what happens.

Both orders have just as much merit as the other except for first time viewings in which case I believe the broadcast comes out on top.

I don't think Haruhi would've been as big as it was if it wasn't for the broadcast order imo. By placing the climax in the middle of the series, it's only able to go downhill from there as the epitome of the series has already been reached, and plus i doubt many people would've been satisfied with Someday in the Rain as a proper ending anyway (although it does serve as a pretty nice epilogue i must say).

From my standpoint, I certainly think the broadcast order was an absolute stroke of genius, but perhaps the impacts of it may've been greatest during it's week-to-week broadcast, with the effects being lessened upon a quick marathon/run-through of the series.
braiko
Doraemon

PostPosted: Wed Jan 21, 2009 8:54 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote
Hey just thought I'd add my 2 cents. When rewatching this series with friends who had not seen it, I decided on my own viewing order which was Disc 1, 3, 2, 4.

In my opinion each type of viewing has its own benefits (I watched the Broadcast order on my first viewing by the way). As brocko mentioned, drawing out the finale to later in the series is one of the broadcast orders main strengths, and which is done to some extent with my 1,3,2,4 order. Watching this way also avoids the annoyances of having certain epsidodes separated, such as the Island episodes. It just inserts some of the miscellaneous episodes from disc 3 earlier into the viewing without being too confusing, coz episodes like The Boredom still come after the finale. I guess the main downside is that the main storyline goes on hiatus for a few episodes. Big deal, like most anime shows don't do that anyway Wink
u523
Kuu

PostPosted: Thu Mar 10, 2011 11:32 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote
I finally purchased the series 1 collection. Episode 0 was so out of it, until one noticed that "Haruhi Suzumiya" featured so heavily in the credits.

So far I've watched the first chronological dvd (episodes 0-3).

It made good fun of anime. Smile

Page 12 of 12

Jump to: