Usergroups  ·  Register ·    Profile  ·  Log in to check your private messages  ·   Log in     

Tokyopop shutting down.

Goto page 1, 2  Next
Tokyopop shutting down.
Author
Kuu

PostPosted: Sat Apr 16, 2011 8:57 am    Post subject: Tokyopop shutting down. Reply with quote
http://www.animenewsnetwork.com.au/news/2011-04-15/tokyopop-to-close-north-american-publishing-division

So it appears Tokyopop are shutting down their North American operations as of May 31.
I can't say I'm all that surprised to be honest. Tokyopop have none of the profitable licenses now, but it is a shame to see one of the largest companies in the manga industry go.
I guess America's Greatest Otaku wasn't the breakout hit it appeared to be. Razz
Oh well, I guess DJ Milky has his music career to fall back on.
Nargun
Siegfried Kircheis

PostPosted: Sat Apr 16, 2011 12:07 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote
I think that I first realised that Tokyopop had serious problems internally when v5 of Aria was delayed on account of v4 selling out.
Kimura
BT

PostPosted: Sat Apr 16, 2011 12:18 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote
This comes as no suprise to me really. They have had some great licenses over the years such as Fruits Basket, Planetes and Aria (I also liked Strawberry Marshmallow) but they have way to many titles that just seem like utter garbage if you ask me.

Last edited by Kimura on Sat Apr 16, 2011 7:58 pm; edited 2 times in total
Greoboruri
Nene Romanova

PostPosted: Sat Apr 16, 2011 12:37 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote
I always thought their idea of practically taking manga out of comic book shops and selling the majority through bookshops was unsustainable in the long run. Sure they certainly raised manga's profile substantially and broke it through to the mainstream, and for better or worse they actually forced change on the US manga market in terms of the format and how it was sold. But like the anime market, the problem was there was just a glut of titles. Way too many. Loads of crap too. Still, I liked quite a few of their titles, mostly the CLAMP stuff. Anyone recall that utterly absurd Mixx controversy? I think the fact fansubbers were questioning the licence for "Kenji's Spring" was just insulting to Tokyopop (Mixx).
astro98
Kuu

PostPosted: Sat Apr 16, 2011 4:28 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote
Greoboruri wrote:
I always thought their idea of practically taking manga out of comic book shops and selling the majority through bookshops was unsustainable in the long run. Sure they certainly raised manga's profile substantially and broke it through to the mainstream, and for better or worse they actually forced change on the US manga market in terms of the format and how it was sold. But like the anime market, the problem was there was just a glut of titles. Way too many. Loads of crap too. Still, I liked quite a few of their titles, mostly the CLAMP stuff. Anyone recall that utterly absurd Mixx controversy? I think the fact fansubbers were questioning the licence for "Kenji's Spring" was just insulting to Tokyopop (Mixx).

Yeah, Tokyopop started manga in it's current form in the US; right-to-left, 200 pages for $9.99 USD. Before Tokyopop started that, manga was mostly published in the American comic "floppy" format and then collected into a graphic novel 10 or so months down the track.

I was thinking about their licenses earlier and apart from Fruits Basket, Kamichama Karin (hopefully someone picks those back up) and CLAMP I couldn't think of much else I liked. I guess a lot of it was just lost in the sea of crap they licensed.
One prime example of this was their license of Cyborg 009. They released 009 it at the height of their licensing bubble and not surprisingly it completely flopped. Rather then spending time and resources on marketing the release (as companies such Vertigo or Viz would) they treated it just like any of their other properties; and that's an instant death sentence for an older classic manga like 009.
Dr.Jackal
Sylia Stingray

PostPosted: Sat Apr 16, 2011 4:42 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote
I think the Star Trek manga they published is really a good indication of what went wrong.
astro98
Kuu

PostPosted: Sat Apr 16, 2011 4:47 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote
Dr.Jackal wrote:
I think the Star Trek manga they published is really a good indication of what went wrong.
I think 99% of the "OEL" they published was a really good indication of where they went wrong.
Kimura
BT

PostPosted: Sat Apr 16, 2011 5:53 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote
astro98 wrote:
[..]

I think 99% of the "OEL" they published was a really good indication of where they went wrong.

Yeah I think that is true. Alot of elitist fans I know wont bother even looking at stuff that isn't originally from Japan. I guess it's a perceived thing that it isn't as good (which in my opinion 9/10 is a correct assumption). I cant say I ever read more than 10 pages of any of their OEL stuff before putting them back on the shelf.
Nargun
Siegfried Kircheis

PostPosted: Sat Apr 16, 2011 5:55 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote
So this afternoon I went and had a look at the Minotaur shelves to see if there was anything from Tokyopop I wanted, so's I could pick them up before it got too hard.

And... there was not one damned thing, in all of Minotaur, from Tokyopop that I was actually willing to pay list price for. Not one.

[well, Lady Kanoko seemed to have sold out and if they'd had a few more volumes of KareKano and RG Veda I'd have been tempted.... but no sane catalogue should have RG Veda as a highlight.]
JESTER
Ruri Hoshino

PostPosted: Sat Apr 16, 2011 6:46 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote
Damn. I've been enjoying Samurai Harem, Foxy Lady and Guardian Hearts and now they won't get them finished. Sad Sad

Reminds me of what happened with CMX with Apothecarius Argentum.

Damn you Tokyopop.

When travelling, set no limits. Just experience it, live the moment and enjoy the ride.
Kimura
BT

PostPosted: Sat Apr 16, 2011 7:54 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote
http://www.icv2.com/articles/news/19736.html

This explains alot of it when you look at the sales from 2010
The Tragic Man
Abriel Nei Debrusc Borl Paryun Lafiel

PostPosted: Sat Apr 16, 2011 8:54 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote
Hopefully Aria, Fate/stay night and the Full Metal Panic! novels get picked up by someone else. I'm less hopeful on the novels, though.
astro98
Kuu

PostPosted: Sat Apr 16, 2011 9:43 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote
Kimura wrote:
[..]Yeah I think that is true. Alot of elitist fans I know wont bother even looking at stuff that isn't originally from Japan. I guess it's a perceived thing that it isn't as good (which in my opinion 9/10 is a correct assumption). I cant say I ever read more than 10 pages of any of their OEL stuff before putting them back on the shelf.
Well, the whole OEL tag kind of shoved it into it's own little box that a lot of people didn't want to enter. The Japanphile weeaboo audience didn't want to look at it, and American comic fans weren't interested because it was labeled as manga.

I haven't really read much of it, but from pages and images I've seen a lot of it was dire. The one thing I did read a full volume of was something called A Midnight Opera, and that was atrocious. Not that bad from a stroyline point of view but the art was utterly terrible. I know there were a couple of good artists in that whole OEL thing, but even then Tokyopop totally screwed them over. One of the main problems with a lot of the OEL artists was that they were trying too hard to have a stereotypical manga style. Rather than starting with a base of their own original style and then letting a manga influence seep into their work, they were trying to directly copy stereotypical shonen/shoujo art styles, without paying proper attention correct anatomy and proper drawing skills.

JESTER wrote:
Reminds me of what happened with CMX with Apothecarius Argentum.

Don't even remind me of that! Crying or Very sad They were one of the only companies publishing 70/80s Shoujo manga and they folded right before they were going to release 21 Ways to Save Her Crying or Very sad
razor053
Hajime Saitou

PostPosted: Sun Apr 17, 2011 12:05 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote
well, this kinda sucks, im gonna miss my deadman wonderland, maria+holic and samurai harem
BroKeN
Minawa Andou

PostPosted: Mon Apr 18, 2011 1:14 am    Post subject: Reply with quote
Shame to see a company go down. As a few people have said, they did have quite a few crappy titles. I wouldn't even consider most of their releases.

Did enjoy, Full Metal Panic, Great Teacher Onizuka, Fruits Basket, Marmalade Boy and Kare Kano.

Most titles I want come from Viz anyways.

So much for the FMP novels, at least they brought the third out..
Blue Monday
Kenji Harima

PostPosted: Mon Apr 18, 2011 12:05 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote
TokyoPop, I hardly knew ye.

Seriously, I donít think I ever read anything these guys put out. Good work.
The Tragic Man

PostPosted: Mon Apr 18, 2011 4:16 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote
BroKeN wrote:
So much for the FMP novels, at least they brought the third out..

The fourth (and fifth!) even.
StorminNorman
Gillard-chan

PostPosted: Wed Apr 20, 2011 4:30 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote
...And nothing of value was lost.

astro98 wrote:

Yeah, Tokyopop started manga in it's current form in the US; right-to-left, 200 pages for $9.99 USD.

So they're the ones I can blame for most manga being published in a format that's unreadable to me. Good to know!
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website MSN Messenger
JESTER
Ruri Hoshino

PostPosted: Thu Apr 21, 2011 1:02 am    Post subject: Reply with quote
Blue Monday wrote:
TokyoPop, I hardly knew ye.

Seriously, I donít think I ever read anything these guys put out. Good work.

They did have some good series like :

Chibi Vampire - Karin (anime name)
Initial D
Love Hina
A.I. Love You
Kare Kano
Ai Yori Aoshi
GTO
Lament of the Lamb
The Embalmer
Sgt Frog
Samurai Harem

No doubt a lot of titles including Qwaser no Stigmata will be lost or license rescued.

When travelling, set no limits. Just experience it, live the moment and enjoy the ride.
Kimura
BT

PostPosted: Thu Apr 21, 2011 8:05 am    Post subject: Reply with quote
I hope Maria Holic is picked up by someone. I only just started reading it and quite like it.
Blue Monday
Kenji Harima

PostPosted: Thu Apr 21, 2011 9:24 am    Post subject: Reply with quote
JESTER wrote:
They did have some good series like:

I read GTO and a little Initial D when I was younger but that's it.
Andy_ubio
Misa Amane

PostPosted: Thu Apr 21, 2011 10:20 am    Post subject: Reply with quote
JESTER wrote:
Initial D
GTO
I always wanted to read GTO and Initial D, but I never got around to them.
They also had the Seikai trilogy (Crest/Banner The Stars)
That's was a very good series I thought.
They also did the Gundam Seed Astray series' and Devil May Cry 3 I'm pretty sure.
My favourite series of theirs that I read was 's-CRY-ed'.

StorminNorman wrote:
So they're the ones I can blame for most manga being published in a format that's unreadable to me. Good to know!
What's wrong with Right to Left, Back to Front? It's not like it's hard to read it this way. I think after about the first chapter of the first manga I had ever read, I had gotten used to it.
I much prefer to read manga this way. I will be very reluctant to by manga that has been printed Left to right like a comic book.
Nargun
Siegfried Kircheis

PostPosted: Thu Apr 21, 2011 4:31 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote
JESTER wrote:

A.I. Love You

lol.
HimuraBattousai
Kagami Yagami

PostPosted: Thu Apr 21, 2011 8:33 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote
I'm a little annoyed by the fact that they had Portrait of M and N. I want my obscure twisted shoujo manga, dammit!

On the bright side, getting the rest of Karin that I haven't picked up yet should be relatively easy.
StorminNorman
Gillard-chan

PostPosted: Thu Apr 21, 2011 10:35 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote
Andy_ubio wrote:
What's wrong with Right to Left, Back to Front?

It's entirely the opposite direction to the way I read text. I'm sure it'd make sense if I could read Arabic or something, but I can't, so I have to deal with the fact that the text flows in one direction, but the images flow in another.

After about five minutes of that, I'm ready to throw the book against the wall.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website MSN Messenger
BroKeN
Minawa Andou

PostPosted: Fri Apr 22, 2011 6:26 am    Post subject: Reply with quote
I remember reading some Bleach a couple of years back. I never knew it was right to left. I was reading it left to right. I thought that manga was stupid and made no sense. Then I finally figured it out and haven't looked back since.

I prefer right to left with comics. I'm kind of like a plasma that's had a still image burned into the screen.

I can totally understand Norman's argument though. After a while you get used to it but at first, I got a little frustrated.
Kimura
BT

PostPosted: Fri Apr 22, 2011 8:19 am    Post subject: Reply with quote
Rozen Maiden was another alright series they had, I hope someone picks it up too.
Dr.Jackal
Sylia Stingray

PostPosted: Fri Apr 22, 2011 9:09 am    Post subject: Reply with quote
Thinking about it, i am glad i did not start collecting 'Future Diary', they were one volume off from completing it. Shame.
astro98
Kuu

PostPosted: Sat Apr 23, 2011 5:53 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote
This weeks ANNCast has a lengthy and interesting discussion on the matter. I reccomend it to anyone interested in the event.
SS3 Son Goku
Cagalli Yula Attha

PostPosted: Thu Apr 28, 2011 2:54 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote
Ah Crap...Not another manga company that bites the dust.
Looks like it's going the same way as Raijin comics did.

Raijin comics had Fist of the North star and Fist of the Blue sky and Flowering Keji and so on, and then it went BOOM..shutdown and gone.

The only Tokyopop manga or actually 'manhwa' I have is 'King of Hell' which went on hiatus two years ago and news of hoping to get it back but it FAILED to get it back by the promised release date.

Looks like I have another manhwa 'unfinished' series when it comes to the english versions of this series, but the korean series is still going strong in it's own country.

So why do English companies suffer.
I'm just hoping Viz is still going strong otherwise we will have no english manga to live for.

Well it looks like we only have about only 6 publishers left from what I have heard from one user on one site which mention the only publishers left which are: DarkHorse, DelRey, Viz, EigoMANGA (which features OEM manga), Digital Manga, and the new kid on the block and Yen Press.
Dr.Jackal
Sylia Stingray

PostPosted: Thu Apr 28, 2011 5:20 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote
Del Rey Manga is more or less a non entity now, seeming Kodansha has taken all their licenses from them to self publish in the west.
Kimura
BT

PostPosted: Thu Apr 28, 2011 6:35 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote
SS3 Son Goku wrote:

Well it looks like we only have about only 6 publishers left from what I have heard from one user on one site which mention the only publishers left which are: DarkHorse, DelRey, Viz, EigoMANGA (which features OEM manga), Digital Manga, and the new kid on the block and Yen Press.

Vertical Inc, Drawn and Quarterly, Fantagraphic books and Seven Seas inc are all publishers who have well known licenses.
SS3 Son Goku
Cagalli Yula Attha

PostPosted: Sun May 01, 2011 2:25 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote
Ah thanks for that Kimura as I thought they maybe more but publishers that I don't know about that are still around.
slasher000
BT

PostPosted: Sat May 07, 2011 8:41 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote
its a real shame that tokyopop is closing cause there are so many titles i have read that i enjoyed.

Ai Yori Aoshi
Chibi Vampire
Dragon SIster
Elemental Gelade
GTO
Mahoromatic
Psychic Academy
Rave Master
Samurai Harem
Sekai Trilogy
The Qwaser of Stigmata

(Thats pretty much all my tokyopop titles that are either incomplete or out of print so its really hard for me to get the out of print ones.)
SS3 Son Goku
Cagalli Yula Attha

PostPosted: Sun May 08, 2011 12:47 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote
I have to admit tokyopop manga will 'now' be considered 'Rare items' or considered saying 'Trying to find Gold in a goldmine where there's hardly any gold left after a gold rush'.

SO keeping your current Tokyopop manga will be like treated them like GOLD because there now considered 'rare'.

Last edited by SS3 Son Goku on Mon May 16, 2011 11:52 am; edited 1 time in total
slasher000
BT

PostPosted: Tue May 10, 2011 9:01 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote
I have a question. With Chibi Vampire. i know the entire series has been out for awhile now but madman havent released it all yet. will they continue to release it until they have run out and also does that mean they have all 14 volumes in stock cause if not then ill look else ware for the remaining volumes cause i want to complete it before it becomes to hard to find (like GTO)
JESTER
Ruri Hoshino

PostPosted: Fri Jul 01, 2011 12:01 am    Post subject: Reply with quote
Some Totkopop titles are still coming out at present even though the US branch as shut down. MM is releasing the latest Aion which is vol 3 and now Samurai Harem vol 8 is also coming out this week.

I'm really suprised by this since Righstuf is only showing vol 7 of Samurai Harem and vol 2 of Aion as the last volumes.

I wonder if the German branch of Tokyopop is behind this.

HimuraBattousai
Kagami Yagami

PostPosted: Fri Jul 01, 2011 9:04 am    Post subject: Reply with quote
I suspect that all, or at least most, of the work on those volumes was already done by the time Tokyopop announced they're closing, so it was still possible for them to get those out.
JESTER
Ruri Hoshino

PostPosted: Fri Jul 01, 2011 10:55 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote
HimuraBattousai wrote:
I suspect that all, or at least most, of the work on those volumes was already done by the time Tokyopop announced they're closing, so it was still possible for them to get those out.

It's posible, but then Rightstuf would've still had them up on their site.

The people at the Kinokuniya were suprised as well since half of this weeks titles are from Tokyopop.

The Tragic Man

PostPosted: Sat Sep 10, 2011 12:52 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote
Tokyopop Gauges Interest in Limited Hetalia #3 Release

I don't see the point, really, unless they were committed to releasing all future volumes as well. The fourth volume was recently published in Japan.
Nargun
Siegfried Kircheis

PostPosted: Sat Sep 10, 2011 9:44 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote
The Tragic Man wrote:

I don't see the point, really, unless they were committed to releasing all future volumes as well. The fourth volume was recently published in Japan.

Oh ffs. FOAD, stu, go and get a unsatisfactory ikea job or something.

[the point is, he can't make real money but he can I'M TOO DUMB TO FIND OTHER WORDS TO USE SO I USE THE F WORD things up enough that maybe someone will pay him stfu-money and he can get some second-hand blow. It's business instincts like that that let him make his business the success it is today.]
alphamone
Hajime Saitou

PostPosted: Sun Sep 11, 2011 9:09 am    Post subject: Reply with quote
I only have four volumes of Tokyopop manga, the two volumes of hetalia, and the two volumes of Kanazuki no Miko.
Kimura
BT

PostPosted: Mon Sep 12, 2011 11:23 am    Post subject: Reply with quote
The Tragic Man wrote:

Stu Levy is just fail imo, any chance he can get his name in the media or something he will do it. Tokyopop is dead and buried and no one wants a zombie version of it, releasing limited runs of things that only a handfull of people will be able to get. Either come back, completely committed or not at all.
HimuraBattousai
Kagami Yagami

PostPosted: Mon Sep 12, 2011 12:47 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote
And even a completely committed Tokyopop I wouldn't trust as far as I could throw Tokyo Tower.
Blue Monday
Kenji Harima

PostPosted: Mon Sep 12, 2011 12:48 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote
Zing.
shazza_dee86
Hajime Saitou

PostPosted: Sun Sep 18, 2011 11:05 am    Post subject: Reply with quote
i'm disappointment that - well not that tokyopop shut down - but that a few of their releases never got finished - i really like DN Angel, and Saiyuki Reload was only 1 volume off completion - i was looking forward to reading the other tie-in bits for that too

i'm just hopeful someone else picks them up (them being the decent titles they had)

it also makes you wonder how difficult/expensive it would be to buy the rights... hmmm... *wanders away into the far reaches of my brain*
The Tragic Man

PostPosted: Sat Oct 22, 2011 9:27 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote
The Tragic Man wrote:
Hopefully Aria, Fate/stay night and the Full Metal Panic! novels get picked up by someone else. I'm less hopeful on the novels, though.

Dammit, Tokyopop, your closure meant that Right Stuf cancelled my order of Fate/stay night vol 11 on me, and now I find they've got some in stock. Grrr. *Puts in in the shopping cart, anyway*
slasher000
BT

PostPosted: Sat Oct 22, 2011 9:31 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote
the stupid thing is that tokyopop are re opening and they are going to start publishing manga again. but they need to re acquire all the titles again if they plan on releasing any they already were releasing.

http://www.animenewsnetwork.com.au/news/2011-10-12/tokyopop-confirms-intent-to-publish-manga-again

the quote is taken from the link and the article was posted 9 days ago

Quote:
The new TokyopopManga Twitter account confirmed on Wednesday that it is "hoping that [it will] be able to release new manga very soon." The account mentioned it is "laying the groundwork for publishing new manga again," but added that because all of its previous titles had "reverted back to their Japanese publishers" that the company would "have to work to get them back." The Twitter account also stated the company's "ultimate goal is to start publishing manga again."

The Twitter account noted it is "planning on starting with an old license." The account also stated it plans to release manga in both print and digital form.

In an open letter from Tokyopop founder Stu Levy that was posted on GeekChicDaily on Tuesday, Levy wrote, "I know that you're all eager to have the same access to your favorite manga titles that we could previously provide and I promise that I am continuing to explore any and all opportunities to relaunch the manga publishing operations of TOKYOPOP's business."

Tokyopop shut down its North American manga publishing division in May. On Tuesday the company revealed it will launch a new editorial newsletter "about all things otaku and Asian pop-culture" powered by GeekChicDaily. Tokyopop gauged interest in the release of more Hetalia manga volumes last month.

HimuraBattousai
Kagami Yagami

PostPosted: Sat Oct 22, 2011 10:28 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote
slasher000 wrote:
the stupid thing is that tokyopop are re opening and they are going to start publishing manga again.

Well, planning to, anyway. I wouldn't bet on it actually happening.
JESTER
Ruri Hoshino

PostPosted: Sat Oct 22, 2011 11:14 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote
HimuraBattousai wrote:
[..]

Well, planning to, anyway. I wouldn't bet on it actually happening.

I would bet on that getting back into the business since there's not that many manga publishing companies about and some of their titles were selling well.

Hopefully the rest of Samurai Harem, Lives, Foxy Lady and Guardian Hearts will come out.

Page 1 of 2

Jump to: