Usergroups  ·  Register ·    Profile  ·  Log in to check your private messages  ·   Log in     

I thought FUNi was just kidding...

I thought FUNi was just kidding...
Author
Nene Romanova

PostPosted: Sat Oct 08, 2011 2:26 pm    Post subject: I thought FUNi was just kidding... Reply with quote
...but they seriously went and did it.

Dragon Ball Z: Level 1.1 [Blu-Ray]

Considering the releases look to only have around 17 episodes each, as was reported earlier in the year, it's going to come out to around $500 or so. Considering this is coming right out of Kai, I don't think anyone smart enough is going to be biting onto this one.
Timesplitter 01
Yakumo Tsukamoto

PostPosted: Sat Oct 08, 2011 7:40 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote
Some people will probably buy it
OniV2
Nene Romanova

PostPosted: Sat Oct 08, 2011 7:58 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote
I'll feel sorry for their wallets.
Andy_ubio
Misa Amane

PostPosted: Mon Oct 10, 2011 5:11 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote
Firstly... Did you have to create a new thread to post this? There is already a thread about Funimation bringing DBZ to Blu-Ray, titled Funimation Announces Dragon Ball Z Series on Bluray. You actually posted a comment in it as well.
You should have really posted in there, sicne this is about the DBZ BD's.

Now about the Blu-Ray's. I have been following the news and they are sounding kind of promising... From all the news so far, it sounds like it is shaping up to actually be quite an impressive transfer. Hopefuly it will rival the quality that the Kenshin BD's have come out in.

Here is a pod cast, which also has comparison screeen shots from ANN
and here is a live recoded video stream that Funimation aired (6/10) which goes into some more detail about the steps and involved in making a completely new HD Telecine transfer.

Im not all that intersted in collecting it. Maybe one day if/when they release it with a better episode count, like if they maybe compile the releases together into collections. Then i will look in to it. Until then i will be perfectly happy with my Dragon Boxes on DVD and Kai on Blu-Ray.

That being said i wouldnt mind just getting one release to see how the quality of the transfer has turned out.
OniV2
Nene Romanova

PostPosted: Mon Oct 10, 2011 5:18 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote
Andy_ubio wrote:
Firstly... Did you have to create a new thread to post this? There is already a thread about Funimation bringing DBZ to Blu-Ray, titled Funimation Announces Dragon Ball Z Series on Bluray. You actually posted a comment in it as well.
You should have really posted in there, sicne this is about the DBZ BD's.

Absolutely, since that thread was about a FUNimation announcement, and this is about the actual product itself.

Anyways, I don't really think this 'remaster' is worth the investment, really. They don't seem to be realising the space available on a Blu-Ray disc (and it still looks as grainy as ever).
Andy_ubio
Misa Amane

PostPosted: Mon Oct 10, 2011 5:53 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote
OniV2 wrote:
Absolutely, since that thread was about a FUNimation announcement, and this is about the actual product itself.
Well it seemed unnesassary to me, as the thread is still about the product, since its announcing the actual product. But what ever, we have this thread now.

OniV2 wrote:
Anyways, I don't really think this 'remaster' is worth the investment, really.
Im still waiting to see actual footage before i pass judgement. After seeing what kind of quality can be produced from other shows that have had a HD telecine transfer from their original film I am expecting to see something quite nice. Especially since they are going over the eintire film frame by frame.

OniV2 wrote:
They don't seem to be realising the space available on a Blu-Ray disc

I dont see how you can say that, Every time i have looked at a BD, with 8 or 9 eps on it. It seems to be taking up close to 50GB... I would hate to et comprission issuse just because they want to try and cram in a couple more eps. Not to mentions that multiple Dobly True HD aduio tracks can take up a fair ammount of space.

OniV2 wrote:
(and it still looks as grainy as ever).

The grain is intentionally left in, as that is a product of animation made with 16mm film.

Have you ever watched Akira or Wings Of Honneamise or any older film made animation on BD? The grain is a part of the show, the picture is clean and crisp, but there is still evidence of visible grain.

When it comes to remastering and making HD transfers from original film, the idea is to be as true to the original as possible so they and try and get it as close to what the creaters originally intended, only with a much better resolution.

If they took out the grain (like what they did in the orange brick dvds) they would cop so much hate and abuse. I have read a lot of complaints about the Yu Yu Hakusho BD's because of the simple fact that it had been filtered to remove the grain. The grain is part fo the character that comes from shows made in that era.

Also i heard Chris Sabbat say in some footage taken from a Pannel at Comicon SD, That they had some of the originaly creaters of hte series from Japan in the studio to have a look at the very first pass of the first episode and that they said to them that "this is how Dragonball Z was always supposed to be."
OniV2
Nene Romanova

PostPosted: Mon Oct 10, 2011 6:04 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote
Andy_Ubio wrote:
I dont see how you can say that, Every time i have looked at a BD, with 8 or 9 eps on it. It seems to be taking up close to 50GB... I would hate to et comprission issuse just because they want to try and cram in a couple more eps. Not to mentions that multiple Dobly True HD aduio tracks can take up a fair ammount of space.

I doubt these collections have 8-9 episodes per disc. If they did, we could have a 27 episode collection on three discs, rather than 17.

Quote:
The grain is intentionally left in, as that is a product of animation made with 16mm film.

I simply see it as 16mm purists wanting the grain there just so it looks as old as it is. No one complained about Kai's lack of grain, simply because it has 'Kai' at the end. It's exactly the same as a DBZ HD Remaster, just with less filler. How this DBZ remaster should be any different (quality-wise) is beyond me.
Andy_ubio
Misa Amane

PostPosted: Mon Oct 10, 2011 6:14 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote
OniV2 wrote:
I doubt these collections have 8-9 episodes per disc. If they did, we could have a 27 episode collection on three discs, rather than 17.

If you watch the Funimation live video stream you would hear them state that each set released will have 2 discs, each having 8 or 9 eps.
So the problem is not that they are not utilising the available space on a Blu-Ray disc. Its that they are only releasing each set with 2 discs, causing a low ep count of 17eps per set. Which is the same problem that i stated i have with it and he main reason i wont be buying them any time soon.

But i guess Funimation has to get theur money somehow... So i guess multiple 2 disc releases is a way for them to make back the maoney that they are spending to remaster this series in HD. It makes sense after listening to them go on about how much time and man power is going into this project

OniV2 wrote:
I simply see it as 16mm purists wanting the grain there just so it looks as old as it is. No one complained about Kai's lack of grain, simply because it has 'Kai' at the end. It's exactly the same as a DBZ HD Remaster, just with less filler. How this DBZ remaster should be any different (quality-wise) is beyond me.

Those same 16mm purists have also criticized Toei for how they handled the HD transfer of KAI. Wink
So they are probably looking forward to seeing this new version whihc has grain... I know i am very curious.
Itachigotchi
Hajime Saitou

PostPosted: Tue Oct 11, 2011 12:11 am    Post subject: Reply with quote
I'm really interested to find out whether it will have the bruce faulconer music. The remastered dvd collections did, but kai didn't.

If this remaster includes faulconers music, I may just buy it. I just love that music.
mikezilla2
Lin Minmay

PostPosted: Wed Oct 12, 2011 5:32 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote
http://madboards.madman.com.au/viewtopic.php?p=872495&highlight=#872495

im banking on them having region B on the cards and being able to play the new english dub with the falconer music - that would rock as i could replace my orange bricks then.
Hagane_Gir
Gally

PostPosted: Wed Oct 12, 2011 7:04 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote
There really have been a lot of releases for DBZ in the past few years. Orange bricks, Dragonboxes, Kai, and now Blu-Rays. Funimation just doesn't seem satisfied with one release (or the fans don't...). Its almost become amusing to see them announce another re-release just as the last volume or two of their last re-release shows up.

Despite how immaturely I argued against them a few years ago, I ended up with a few of those orange bricks, and I still own a boatload of the singles releases. They do take up a lot of shelf space but at this stage I'm rather content with the qaulity of the releases. Maybe some of the orange bricks aren't that great...but anyway.

That said this release being divided into portions of 17 episodes seems a bit ridiculous. The recently finished Dragonboxes held over twice as many episodes. Even the orange bricks had more eps per release. Suddenly reverting back seems a little odd to me. Bear in mind they'd be likely to re-re-release them as bigger 'season packs' down the line as well, and probably at a lower price. They're doing that with One Piece and Dragonball Kai right now, it seems, so I wouldn't be surprised if they pull that trick again.
Feball3001
Melfina

PostPosted: Thu Oct 13, 2011 8:31 am    Post subject: Reply with quote
If madman release the blu-ray over here and if it is better then the orange brick boxes I would be tempted to replace my current set.
Slykura
Madman Staff

PostPosted: Thu Oct 13, 2011 9:23 am    Post subject: Reply with quote
We're releasing this in Jaunary.
The discs will be identical to the Funimation ones in every way.
SS3 Son Goku
Cagalli Yula Attha

PostPosted: Fri Oct 14, 2011 3:37 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote
Thanks for the info but I will stick to Kai since I'm a manga reader and prefer manga episodes.

So I'm not gonna bother with another entire release of dbz.
mikezilla2
Lin Minmay

PostPosted: Sat Oct 15, 2011 3:21 am    Post subject: Reply with quote
Slykura wrote:
We're releasing this in Jaunary.
The discs will be identical to the Funimation ones in every way.

sweet wait - got a press release ? Question
mikezilla2
Lin Minmay

PostPosted: Fri Jan 27, 2012 3:54 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote
http://www.animenewsnetwork.com/press-release/2012-01-26/funimation-suspends-production-of-dragon-ball-z-blu-rays
madmangohan
Noooooooooooooooo

PostPosted: Sat Jan 28, 2012 5:49 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote
Very glad I bought the Dragonboxes now.

Funimation have released the series twice in four years (and cancelled another), as well as bringing out Kai. So I'm not too shocked they halted something. At least they stopped early again.

I do wonder though if they might change tactics and just upscale the current Dragonboxes. Certainly would be much more cost effective.

Anime News Network Australia
OniV2
Nene Romanova

PostPosted: Fri Feb 03, 2012 10:50 am    Post subject: Reply with quote
mikezilla2 wrote:
http://www.animenewsnetwork.com/press-release/2012-01-26/funimation-suspends-production-of-dragon-ball-z-blu-rays

Surprise, surprise. Rolling Eyes
Feball3001
Melfina

PostPosted: Fri Feb 03, 2012 3:39 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote
A little bit disapointed but glad that I waited to see how much they would be doing for a blu ray release.

Page 1 of 1

Jump to: