Usergroups  ·  Register ·    Profile  ·  Log in to check your private messages  ·   Log in     

The Labor Party is officially dead in QLD

The Labor Party is officially dead in QLD
Author
Yukino Miyazawa

PostPosted: Sat Mar 24, 2012 8:13 pm    Post subject: The Labor Party is officially dead in QLD Reply with quote
Currently watching the news coverage and it's been an absolute landside in favour of the LNP. To win power, 45 seats were needed and at this point in time the LNP holds 71 and the ALP holds 4.

Anybody who even remotely paid attention to politics in QLD knew that this was coming even around the time of the last election. The scale of the victory is really quite surprising though.

It has been a bizarre campaign though. Labor launched, in effect, one of the biggest smear campaigns I've seen in Australian politics against Campbell Newman. I don't recall any mention of politics in promotional material and instead most of the propaganda was centered around certain dealings Newman allegedly made while mayor of Brisbane. Most of these dealings were later revealed to have not transpired or to have been blown out of proportion. It was disgusting to be perfectly honest.

After that died down, in the week leading up to the elections, we were then presented with what has to be the biggest "WTF?!" moment I've seen in politics. Anna Bligh ran a commercial which, in effect, said that they were going to get smashed at the election but asked us to make sure that they didn't win by too much otherwise they'll be corrupt.

So yeah, there we go. One of the biggest defeats in Australian politics and a new political party in charge after well over a decade of Labor rule.
drae
Kenshin Himura

PostPosted: Sat Mar 24, 2012 8:34 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote
Labor's been doing a really **** job in Qld for a number of years now so plenty of people will be glad to see them go. And Anna Bligh was getting pretty nasty this last month.

However, this weird trend in politics continues where the Australian people elect one party into Federal politics, then gradually turfs that same party out of power in all the States. Happened when Howard was in, and it's happening again now (Qld, WA, Vic, NSW all Lib and NT, Tas and SA on the verge of going). How weird is that Confused
StorminNorman
Gillard-chan

PostPosted: Sat Mar 24, 2012 10:03 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote
...And this is why unicameral parliaments are stupid.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website MSN Messenger
FireAza
Kiichi Goto

PostPosted: Sat Mar 24, 2012 11:12 pm    Post subject: Re: The Labor Party is officially dead in QLD Reply with quote
CG wrote:
Anna Bligh ran a commercial which, in effect, said that they were going to get smashed at the election but asked us to make sure that they didn't win by too much otherwise they'll be corrupt.

I found that hilarious. "well, they're gonna beat us anyway, but not before we sling a little mud in their eyes!"
Schmavid
Eikichi Onizuka

PostPosted: Sat Mar 24, 2012 11:29 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote
StorminNorman wrote:

Agreed, the whole single house idea is just stupid. The upper house needs to come back to put in a few checks and ballances.
Dime_fan3
Motoko Kusanagi

PostPosted: Sun Mar 25, 2012 9:08 am    Post subject: Re: The Labor Party is officially dead in QLD Reply with quote
CG wrote:

After that died down, in the week leading up to the elections, we were then presented with what has to be the biggest "WTF?!" moment I've seen in politics. Anna Bligh ran a commercial which, in effect, said that they were going to get smashed at the election but asked us to make sure that they didn't win by too much otherwise they'll be corrupt.

NSW did the same thing last year. I bet Federal Labor must be really s***ing their pants right now.

I have a new blog!

http://thirtypixels.wordpress.com
Typhrus
Lin Minmay

PostPosted: Sun Mar 25, 2012 10:50 am    Post subject: Reply with quote
Fed Labor really wouldn't be terribly worried about the states being Liberal. As someone pointed out, we have a habit of electing one party at the federal level and then turfing that party out at the state level.

To those who agree with Abbot about this election being a 'referendum' on the federal Labor government and the carbon tax, pull the other one. A lot of Labor's failings in Queensland come after being in government for over twenty years (21 years to be precise)and a number of screw ups in recent years (Wivenhoe dam and the stuff up in the Health data base to name two). What happened when we got bored of the Howard government? A massive swing towards Labor in some seats (over 5% in some cases) and he even lost his own seat. It's really just Abbot trying to put some spin on history and statistics.

Okay, I'll stop ranting about it now Razz
Soul Master Kaze
Shinji Ikari

PostPosted: Sun Mar 25, 2012 11:17 am    Post subject: Reply with quote
StorminNorman wrote:

Yes.

On a related note, one of my friends ran as an independent for Toowoomba South. I think she did pretty well, considering that Independent candidates are always underdogs.
drae
Kenshin Himura

PostPosted: Sun Mar 25, 2012 11:54 am    Post subject: Reply with quote
Bligh has quit, so depending on the results of the by-election Labor could have as few as 6 seats in Parliament Shocked
StorminNorman
Gillard-chan

PostPosted: Sun Mar 25, 2012 12:05 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote
They actually have fewer seats than One Nation did in 1998.

Somehow Katter's Racist Homophobic Party got two seats.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website MSN Messenger
CG
Yukino Miyazawa

PostPosted: Sun Mar 25, 2012 4:45 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote
drae wrote:
Bligh has quit, so depending on the results of the by-election Labor could have as few as 6 seats in Parliament Shocked

I had it on at work without sound. Did she quit politics altogether or is she just no longer going to sit on the front/back bench? [Is it still a front bench at state level? #idioticquestions]
drae
Kenshin Himura

PostPosted: Sun Mar 25, 2012 6:15 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote
CG wrote:

I had it on at work without sound. Did she quit politics altogether or is she just no longer going to sit on the front/back bench? [Is it still a front bench at state level? #idioticquestions]

She's quit altogether, and I feel sorry for her electorate of South Brisbane who will head back to the polls less than a month after voting in Bligh. I'm not a fan of politicians quitting because they're no longer Premier or Prime Minister. It's selfish, it's disrespectful to the people who elected you, its rude. It's a slap in the face to the electorate who showed faith in her to represent them at State level. She put her hand up for the job, she promised she'd stick around to represent the interests of her electorate regardless of whether she was retained as Premier... but all of a sudden things are a bit too hard and humiliating so she's outta here Rolling Eyes
Knight of L-sama
Masamune Shirow

PostPosted: Sun Mar 25, 2012 6:22 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote
CG wrote:

She's quit completely. As in the seat of South Brisbane now has to hold a by-election.And yes, it's still called the back bench, at least in QLD. The more operative question is can you call it a back bench with numbers in single digits and everyone needs to double up roles to form a shadow cabinet.

StorminNorman wrote:
Somehow Katter's Racist Homophobic Party got two seats.
Both seats are in the far north (aka former Joh Bjelke-Petersen heartland) and in one of the them the main contest in the 2009 election was between the LNP and One Nation which I think says it all.
StorminNorman
Gillard-chan

PostPosted: Sun Mar 25, 2012 7:05 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote
drae wrote:
It's a slap in the face to the electorate who showed faith in her to represent them at State level.

No it's not.
JESTER
Ruri Hoshino

PostPosted: Fri Feb 06, 2015 12:26 am    Post subject: Reply with quote
In under 3 years of this thread, the Labor Party has had a successfull resurrection in Queensland.

Might be worth locking this thread. Lol

When travelling, set no limits. Just experience it, live the moment and enjoy the ride.
The Tragic Man
Abriel Nei Debrusc Borl Paryun Lafiel

PostPosted: Fri Feb 06, 2015 7:51 am    Post subject: Reply with quote
Lazarus with a double by-pass? (Not quite outright majority, so no triple by-pass.)

Page 1 of 1

Jump to: