Usergroups  ·  Register ·    Profile  ·  Log in to check your private messages  ·   Log in     

PC Gaming Thread

Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3 ... , 12, 13, 14  Next
PC Gaming Thread
Author
Kenshin Himura

PostPosted: Thu Apr 12, 2012 6:56 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote
For all those interested in Warhammer, Wrath of heroes has now entered open-beta

Quote:
Warhammer® Online: Wrath of Heroes™, a new Player-Versus-Player (PvP) Play4Free game based on the critically acclaimed MMORPG, Warhammer® Online: Age of Reckoning™, has entered open beta. Starting today, gamers around the world can challenge others to highly competitive, fast and frenetic arena-style PvP combat for free*.

Warhammer Online: Wrath of Heroes is advancing online PvP games by delivering instant, fast-paced and competitive three-sided 6v6v6 PvP arena gameplay – for free! As the latest entry in EA’s Play4Free portfolio, the game throws three teams into battle against each other, where players can choose from a wide range of unique heroes from the Warhammer universe on the fly. This cutthroat setup creates highly dynamic matches where teams constantly live on the edge of victory or defeat and alliances are quickly formed and just as quickly forgotten. With the instant playability of battles that last an intense 15 minutes, a small download size, and no cost to enter, Wrath of Heroes can scratch the competitive PvP itch for gamers of any type.

Players worldwide can sign up for the open beta and download the client by visiting the game’s official web site at www.wrathofheroes.com.

http://www.flesheatingzipper.com/gaming/2012/04/bioware-announces-beta-for-new-online-warhammer-game/
drae
Kenshin Himura

PostPosted: Wed Apr 18, 2012 4:12 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote
Does anyone remember that steaming heap of utter disappointment called Dungeon Lords? Well, for those of you who do have I got a piece of news for you *cue drumroll* ....... Nordic Games have combined forces with D.W.Bradley and have announced an updated, HD remake Laughing Laughing Laughing Laughing Laughing Honestly, of all the games they could have possibly chosen to remake they chose this one Laughing Laughing Laughing

Quote:
Nordic Games proudly announces its latest cooperation with D.W. Bradley and Heuristic Park. D. W. Bradley, famous for creating three of the legendary Wizardry titles (Wizardry V – Heart of the Maelstrom, Wizardry VI – Bane of the Cosmic Forge, Wizardry VII – Crusaders of the Dark Savant) and the epic 3D Fantasy RPG Wizards & Warriors, is creating a new Re-master of his epic RPG-classic game, Dungeon Lords. The title of the remake: Dungeon Lords MMXII.

It is a great opportunity to work on the Re-Master of Dungeon Lords with Mr. Bradley himself. We will deliver a hardcore RPG experience to old as well as new fans. We think that our gameplay changes will deliver new fun and excitement, all in Full HD”, comments Gennaro “Genna” Giani, Producer at Nordic Games.

Oh Lordy Lordy this will do me, I'll be surprised if it actually works. Anyway, more info can be found here for those who are interested (all 2 of you probably)... or for those looking for a bit of entertainment I suppose.

http://www.nordicgames.at/index.php/product/dungeon_lords_mmxii

Quote obtained from here http://www.rpgwatch.com/forums/showthread.php?t=16841
CG
Yukino Miyazawa

PostPosted: Thu Apr 19, 2012 2:25 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote
I recall playing a demo for that and thinking it was okay. Think it's more a product of it's time though as plenty of other games since have done the same thing but better.

In other news, that Superbrothers: Swords & Sorcery EP game that was all the rage on iPad and whatnot is now on Steam. It was 25% off when I purchased it yesterday (?) but isn't too expensive otherwise. I've yet to play it but it looks awesome enough and the soundtrack is bitching. Smile
StorminNorman
Gillard-chan

PostPosted: Fri Apr 20, 2012 6:02 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote
Diablo 3 open beta weekend.

Gogo!
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website MSN Messenger
Dr.Jackal
Sylia Stingray

PostPosted: Sat Apr 21, 2012 11:36 am    Post subject: Reply with quote
Played some of the Tera open beta this morning. It is pretty, but dull, so dull. It does not seem to have any soul and the quests just feel so distant.
Mr Waffle
TEH WAFFLES!!11!

PostPosted: Sat Apr 21, 2012 1:21 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote
StorminNorman wrote:
Diablo 3 open beta weekend.

Gogo!

The client took all night to download a measly 3gb, and after it froze while trying to load, it now wants to download another 883mb...
StorminNorman
Gillard-chan

PostPosted: Sat Apr 21, 2012 5:19 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote
Turn on "Allow quick play regardless of network speed" in the Downloader Options in the launcher and your problem will magically go away.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website MSN Messenger
Soul Master Kaze
Shinji Ikari

PostPosted: Sun Apr 22, 2012 10:29 am    Post subject: Reply with quote
The Diablo 3 beta marks the first time that a game's locked me out of playing it because it disagrees with which Service Pack I'm running.
SS3 Son Goku
Cagalli Yula Attha

PostPosted: Tue Apr 24, 2012 4:53 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote
Speaking of Diablo series.
It's funny with Diablo 2 I know how to hack the game so you LIVE AGAIN in 'Hardcore mode'("Permanent Death" or Permadeath) or escape permadeath. Razz.

If you WANT to know(though most people probably have figured it out), you just copy your character files including the character registry files and put them somewhere safe and when you die...since you can't resurrect, you just exit the game and delete the dead character file and copy back the files to when you were STILL ALIVE file...HAHA it's cheating but it works.

But when you copy the file back you automatically go back to what ever character level you saved at eg. If you copied the files when you're at character level 41 then you'll go back to level 41.
Why do it? If you want to challenge yourself to hardcore mode and see how long you last without dying...then this is a good way.
It beats going back to level 1 and starting all over again when you can go back to whatever level you copied the files at.
I rather go back to character level 40 on nightmare mode then go back level 1 on normal.
They even mention this in Permanent death in wiki...it's a pretty much frowned-upon tactic but it works.
Some games can do this but some can't as a punishment if you tried, such as reducing your in-game currency to zero or forcing you to restart.
But there's all different permadeath in games so sometimes cheating isn't possible.

But it's not like its a secret tactic or anything but I managed to discovered it by accident when I bought a new harddrive for my PC and I wanted to save my Diablo 2 character files and re-install the game again and found out my characters files still worked including the hardcore mode characters.

SO speaking of Diablo 3, I wonder if this will be still possible to cheat hardcore mode or they put a block on it to prevent cheating permadeath.
But just don't do it online, only do it single play.
But probably best not to do it in Diablo 3 at all since it's aways online...but you can do it in Diablo 2.

'Hardcore' mode (Permanent death) will be in back in Diablo 3 and I like it as a way of challenging myself to see how long I can last when it gets extremely hard.
Though it can get a bit 'grinding' just so you can level up and get stronger so you can survive a dangerous quest.

In other news though I'm not really happy about games with aways online Internet function that being put in Diablo 3 just so you can play single player mode.
There should be an offline mode like how Steam has it if you just want to play single player mode and don't want to worry about internet slowing down your PC's performance.

I have heard about some bad things about aways online Internet in games like Assassin's Creed 2 PC version where if your Internet drops out you lose all your progress from when you dropped out.
So it bit of a bummer really and having to do things all over again.
Though I hate to see someone playing Diablo 3 and dropping out when playing Hardcore mode and losing all there progress seems nasty but I don't know if this can happen in Diablo 3 or not.

Last edited by SS3 Son Goku on Thu Apr 26, 2012 2:56 am; edited 1 time in total
StorminNorman
Gillard-chan

PostPosted: Tue Apr 24, 2012 7:20 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote
If there was no always-on singleplayer in Diablo 3, then the game's auction house would be completely worthless.
Mr Waffle
TEH WAFFLES!!11!

PostPosted: Wed Apr 25, 2012 12:16 am    Post subject: Reply with quote
StorminNorman wrote:
If there was no always-on singleplayer in Diablo 3, then the game's auction house would be completely worthless.

Except for, you know, the people who play multiplayer. The mode that every long-term player will be using. The ones who would actually be interested in an auction house.
Viking
Akiha Tohno

PostPosted: Wed Apr 25, 2012 9:35 am    Post subject: Reply with quote
SS3 Son Goku wrote:
Speaking of Diablo series.
It's funny with Diablo 2 I know how to hack the game so you LIVE AGAIN in 'Hardcore mode'("Permanent Death" or Permadeath) or escape permadeath. Razz.

In other news though I'm not really happy about games with aways online Internet function that being put in Diablo 3 just so you can play single player mode.

These things are directly related.
StorminNorman
Gillard-chan

PostPosted: Wed Apr 25, 2012 10:32 am    Post subject: Reply with quote
Mr Waffle wrote:
Except for, you know, the people who play multiplayer. The mode that every long-term player will be using. The ones who would actually be interested in an auction house.

Except for, you know, the fact that items found in single player can be sold on the AH. Including the real-money AH.

If there was no always-online single-player, then there would be know way to verify that items weren't duped.
Mr Waffle
TEH WAFFLES!!11!

PostPosted: Wed Apr 25, 2012 1:58 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote
StorminNorman wrote:
If there was no always-online single-player, then there would be know way to verify that items weren't duped.

Here's a crazy idea-

When you start a new character, you can choose-

Offline-only character (can't go online so no threat of dupes)
Online-only character (always online so no threat of dupes)

Did I just blow your mind?
StorminNorman
Gillard-chan

PostPosted: Wed Apr 25, 2012 2:40 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote
Not really, because it's a stupid idea.
Mr Waffle
TEH WAFFLES!!11!

PostPosted: Wed Apr 25, 2012 4:06 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote
Stormo, I'm honestly shocked you're the one defending this, after you had so many troubles with the garbage known as HDCP. If I recall correctly you were denied full use of devices you bought because of poor implementation of heavy-handed regulations that did nothing but punish consumers for not owning the latest and greatest technology. How is people being denied access to a game that would be perfectly playable offline just because they don't have internet connections 100% of the time any different?
Awex
Shana

PostPosted: Thu Apr 26, 2012 9:47 am    Post subject: Reply with quote
So turns out S.T.A.L.K.E.R. 2 is really cancelled, and GSC game world is no longer a company(?).
The stalker team are moving to 'Vostok Games' and will be working on a spiritual successor to S.T.A.L.K.E.R. called "Survivarium" which apparently will be an mmofps (that is free to play(?)), set in a post apocalyptic world, similar to 'the zone'.

Sources;
http://www.facebook.com/officialstalker
http://youtu.be/Kl812VZv9VI
http://www.facebook.com/Survarium

Dunno how I feel about this really... I was looking forwards to S.T.A.L.K.E.R. 2 more than pretty much anything else. Survivarium looks like it has potential, but it won't be S.T.A.L.K.E.R....
CG
Yukino Miyazawa

PostPosted: Thu Apr 26, 2012 5:51 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote
Kotaku is reporting that S.T.A.L.K.E.R. was sold to Bethesda apparently.
StorminNorman
Gillard-chan

PostPosted: Thu Apr 26, 2012 6:03 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote
Mr Waffle wrote:
How is people being denied access to a game that would be perfectly playable offline just because they don't have internet connections 100% of the time any different?

You're forgetting the part where I'm 100% a Blizzard fanboy and will defend them to the death.

With D3, the way I see it is that the single-player game is really just a one-player multiplayer game (you can make a single-player game "public" at any time), as you can still chat to your RealID/BattleTag friends, and in public channels while in singleplayer.

But yeah, honestly, if I was actually paying money for Diablo 3 (which I'm not) then I'd probably be more upset, but I get a free copy with my WoW subscription.
SS3 Son Goku
Cagalli Yula Attha

PostPosted: Fri Apr 27, 2012 12:20 am    Post subject: Reply with quote
StorminNorman wrote:
[..]
You're forgetting the part where I'm 100% a Blizzard fanboy and will defend them to the death...
...and other D3 stuff.

Hey I like Blizzard too because they take their time and put effort into their games so they run fine and all but I can disagree on the Constant Internet connection need.
But I do understand your point of view when it comes to single player.
But they could of easily just add a single player mode without the need for an Constant Internet connection and made it Non-Constant Internet Connection game like other games.
Agh well see how it goes.

Ah so stormo were you offered the "Annual pass" of WoW option which gives you a free digital download of D3.
But I don't play WoW so I have to buy my copy of D3.
Awex
Shana

PostPosted: Fri Apr 27, 2012 1:14 am    Post subject: Reply with quote
CG wrote:
Kotaku is reporting that S.T.A.L.K.E.R. was sold to Bethesda apparently.

This was denied on the official S.T.A.L.K.E.R. twitter soon after. Just a rumor yo
Tachikoma
Shiki Tohno

PostPosted: Fri Apr 27, 2012 2:19 am    Post subject: Reply with quote
All this BS rumours surrounding STALKER is just bloody annoying. Each time you get your hopes up, then you realise it's just someone stirring sh*t on the internet for the sake of it. I wish sites like Kotaku stopped reposting this kind of rubbish.
OniV2
Nene Romanova

PostPosted: Fri Apr 27, 2012 9:55 am    Post subject: Reply with quote
Tachikoma wrote:
All this BS rumours surrounding STALKER is just bloody annoying. Each time you get your hopes up, then you realise it's just someone stirring sh*t on the internet for the sake of it. I wish sites like Kotaku stopped reposting this kind of rubbish.

You get your hopes up for every single rumour? Really?
CG
Yukino Miyazawa

PostPosted: Fri Apr 27, 2012 11:47 am    Post subject: Reply with quote
Awex wrote:
This was denied on the official S.T.A.L.K.E.R. twitter soon after. Just a rumor yo

Ah. I only saw the article after reading your post so thought I'd chuck it up. I guess somebody just thought Bethesda would be interested seeing as how they have Fallout and all.

I still haven't play S.T.A.L.K.E.R. yet actually now that I think on it. I guess I should get around to it...
StorminNorman
Gillard-chan

PostPosted: Fri Apr 27, 2012 11:49 am    Post subject: Reply with quote
SS3 Son Goku wrote:
But they could of easily just add a single player mode without the need for an Constant Internet connection and made it Non-Constant Internet Connection game like other games.

If you want Torchlight II, you know where to pre-order it.

(Bonus: Free copy of Torchlight.)
Awex
Shana

PostPosted: Fri Apr 27, 2012 12:34 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote
CG wrote:
[..]

Ah. I only saw the article after reading your post so thought I'd chuck it up. I guess somebody just thought Bethesda would be interested seeing as how they have Fallout and all.

I still haven't play S.T.A.L.K.E.R. yet actually now that I think on it. I guess I should get around to it...

Well seeing as your relating S.T.A.L.R.E.R. to fallout... its quite obvious you haven't played it lol. But the first one is usually a dollar or two on steam once a year, so give it a go when you have then chance Cool
Soul Master Kaze
Shinji Ikari

PostPosted: Fri Apr 27, 2012 2:04 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote
StorminNorman wrote:

Or, as I like to put it, cancer with a free case of syphillis.
Tachikoma
Shiki Tohno

PostPosted: Fri Apr 27, 2012 7:32 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote
OniV2 wrote:
You get your hopes up for every single rumour? Really?

Um, the point was, these headlines on STALKER appear to be legitimate news items, when in reality they are nothing but crappy rumour reposts. They serve no purpose other than to pulling traffic to their site.
SS3 Son Goku
Cagalli Yula Attha

PostPosted: Sat Apr 28, 2012 12:32 am    Post subject: Reply with quote
StorminNorman wrote:
[..]

I yes Torchlight I've heard of that game being almost a Diablo 3 copy.
Even the HUD are almost the same these days with bulb vials for Health and Mana.
Red for Health and Blue for Mana is becoming universal colours in these isometric RPG games.

One thing I haven't researched yet on diablo 3 is that in Diablo 2 there was as you know the 'Horadric cube' that can be used to upgrade and make unique weapons and even make full regeneration potions from normal regen potions.

But the upgrading part was the most fun part of D2 since you could turn a normal unique weapon into an 'exceptional' weapon if you had the right items for the formula to do so.
Then after that you could turn the exceptional unique weapon into an 'elite unique' weapon which made it a godlike weapon which was pretty cool.

But I like to see how D3 can come up with this with the 'Artisans' NPC's.

I notice some shops like ebgames and jb-hifi are selling Diablo 3 merchandice such as 7 button PC mouse designed for Diablo 3 and even selling headphone set with mic.
But thankfully I already got a 7 button PC mouse for free when I pre-ordered The Witcher 2, so this mouse should come in handy for D3.
In D3 you can assign mouse button controls which is gonna make skill selection and casting magic on the move faster and more easier than D2.
Werewolfforhire
Arumi Asahina

PostPosted: Sun Apr 29, 2012 11:06 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote
I don't know if it's been mentioned, but it looks like the kickstarter project for a classic Shadowrun game has been a roaring success Very Happy

Given how much I loved the snes game (I still regret part exchanging it), and loathed the MS version I'm really looking forward to a new one based closer on the original RPG, and hope it plays like the Snes one Smile

Also, I don't know if anyone else has tried it, but Toy Soldiers is really fun Smile
It was an Xbox live game, but it appeared on steam, a friend recommended it to me and I'm enjoying it a lot Smile
Even if getting GFWL to run was a pain (I haven't used it for ages, and it turns out it needed me to log in to the website to agree to some ne T&C - the error message however wasn't useful).
StorminNorman
Gillard-chan

PostPosted: Sun Apr 29, 2012 11:10 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote
SS3 Son Goku wrote:
I yes Torchlight I've heard of that game being almost a Diablo 3 copy.
Even the HUD are almost the same these days with bulb vials for Health and Mana.

Given that Runic was started by the guys that created the original Diablo, it's not surprising that it takes some design cues from that series.
Soul Master Kaze
Shinji Ikari

PostPosted: Sun Apr 29, 2012 11:33 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote
And by 'design cues', you of course mean 'conceptual carbon copy'. Everything is the same as Diablo 1, almost down to the town's layout.
StorminNorman
Gillard-chan

PostPosted: Mon Apr 30, 2012 10:01 am    Post subject: Reply with quote
The graphics are a lot better.
StorminNorman
Gillard-chan

PostPosted: Wed May 09, 2012 9:47 am    Post subject: Reply with quote
So apparently Runic Games liked my Diablo III preview so much they invited me to join the Torchlight II network test.

HELL

YES.
StorminNorman
Gillard-chan

PostPosted: Thu May 10, 2012 6:22 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote
So anyway Torchlight 2 is pretty great.

Also, Portal 2 is $6.79 on Steam RIGHT NOW.

NO EXCUSES.

DO IT.
speedfreek19
Itsuki Koizumi

PostPosted: Thu May 10, 2012 9:42 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote
StorminNorman wrote:

Also, Portal 2 is $6.79 on Steam RIGHT NOW.

NO EXCUSES.

DO IT.

MAKE ME OR GIVE ME MONEY!!

No really.
CG
Yukino Miyazawa

PostPosted: Thu May 10, 2012 10:23 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote
speedfreek19 wrote:
MAKE ME OR GIVE ME MONEY!!

No really.

I'll gift you a copy if you can explain to me how to do that. Razz Speaking of, I should probably get around to buying it at that price...
Awex
Shana

PostPosted: Fri May 11, 2012 12:00 am    Post subject: Reply with quote
I would gift it to you BOTH, if I had the money in my paypal
which I don't
sorry
speedfreek19
Itsuki Koizumi

PostPosted: Fri May 11, 2012 10:48 am    Post subject: Reply with quote
CG wrote:
[..]

I'll gift you a copy if you can explain to me how to do that. Razz Speaking of, I should probably get around to buying it at that price...

It's in the checkout options if its for u or a gift
Blue Monday
Kenji Harima

PostPosted: Fri May 11, 2012 5:32 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote
Damn I hate Steam sometimes:

Just installed Shogun 2 but in order to play it, it wants to download a 10GB update. My entire monthly usage quota is only 12GB! I'M TOO DUMB TO FIND OTHER WORDS TO USE SO I USE THE F WORD's sake...
The Tragic Man
Abriel Nei Debrusc Borl Paryun Lafiel

PostPosted: Fri May 11, 2012 6:11 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote
If I went that way, I'd hope it's hosted locally by Telstra, so I could get it quota free.
Blue Monday
Kenji Harima

PostPosted: Sat May 12, 2012 9:25 am    Post subject: Reply with quote
It's on my laptop, which I just use a Dodo mobile broadband USB, or a dongle, as some call it. It's $35 a month for 12GB. I seriously don't know what to do about this. I'm heading over to my brothers' place tomorrow. They have unlimited net. So I'll probably just boot up somewhere and leave it on to download as much as it can. At this rate, it's going to be months until I can play it...

I was hoping to be able to play this until the Skyrim DLC dropped in the next couple of months. Looks like I'll just reinstall Medieval 2: Total War instead.

gagagoogoo Steam...
The Tragic Man
Abriel Nei Debrusc Borl Paryun Lafiel

PostPosted: Sat May 12, 2012 9:43 am    Post subject: Reply with quote
Alternatively, if you know someone else with the game, get them to backup the files, then take the laptop to them and transfer the backup files. When it's been transfered, restore the backup on your laptop.
Blue Monday
Kenji Harima

PostPosted: Sat May 12, 2012 10:27 am    Post subject: Reply with quote
Don't think I do, unfortunately. Thanks for the advice though Tragic!
StorminNorman
Gillard-chan

PostPosted: Sat May 12, 2012 12:36 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote
Steam sometimes massively overstates the size of a game update. It's probably not more than a few hundred megabytes all up.
Tachikoma
Shiki Tohno

PostPosted: Sat May 12, 2012 1:07 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote
Just go wardriving and tap into some poor bastard's unsecured WiFi. Or at some coffee shop.
Blue Monday
Kenji Harima

PostPosted: Sat May 12, 2012 1:31 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote
Haha, yeah, that's what I plan on doing.

SN; that's what I thought at first as well but then I searched online, apparently it is a full 10GB update. Something to do with the game and DX11 I think.
Typhrus
Lin Minmay

PostPosted: Sat May 12, 2012 1:42 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote
The 10 gig download is probably for Fall of the Samurai expansion. I was incredibly annoyed having bought the expansion and still finding Steam wanted to download a huge patch. I had fun on the weekend watching it crawl by on 22kb/s... Two weeks later it decided it wanted to do another massive patch as well XD

Needless to say, I haven't played Shogun 2 in awhile. Which is a shame because I was quite enjoying FotS on my new computer. Ah well back to Empire: TW then Razz
Blue Monday
Kenji Harima

PostPosted: Sat May 12, 2012 2:12 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote
Is it the expansion pack? If it is, that's kind of cool. I mean, I intended on buying it anyway, so this way I get it free. Though it seems absolutely mindless that they would force it on as an update. 10GB is insane! I just want to play the game already!

RABBLE RABBLE RABBLE RABBLE!
Soul Master Kaze
Shinji Ikari

PostPosted: Sat May 12, 2012 2:40 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote
I would assume that it's because, if someone else is using it (multiplayer etc), it needs to have the locally stored assets to be able to display it.

Page 13 of 14

Jump to: