Usergroups  ·  Register ·    Profile  ·  Log in to check your private messages  ·   Log in     

The General Video Game Discussion Thread

Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 325, 326, 327 ... 339, 340, 341  Next
The General Video Game Discussion Thread
Author
Gillard-chan

PostPosted: Tue Apr 17, 2012 9:25 am    Post subject: Reply with quote
Mangaman wrote:
Impressions?

It's... really short.

It looks fantastic though, even better than Starcraft 2. I found that the game had some serious optimisation issues on my hardware, but I'm assuming that's either because it's still beta and therefore not very optimised or because it doesn't handle Blizzard's streaming download system as well as WoW does.

The only downside is that it's not really doing much different from a gameplay perspective to the previous games. If you like Diablo-style click-em-ups, then you're going to love it, but if you don't, then you'd be better off with Guild Wars 2 or WoW.

OniV2 wrote:
Then you're in the minority.

Not... really.

Borderlands is a fantastic game once you get past that first area. Can't wait for Borderlands 2 later this year.

drae wrote:
Oh, for all those people on the madboards who aren't impressed with always having to be on the internet to play a game (yes, I'm looking at you Diablo 3)

I don't really see why people have an issue with this, given that Diablo 3 is, you know, an online multiplayer game.

Also, none of the stuff that's been "removed" from Diablo is anything worth getting upset over. They basically got rid of the talent tree system because it was dumb and stupid. Interestingly, they're doing the same thing with World of Warcraft in the next expansion.

In fact, a lot of the character customisation ideas that are coming to WoW in Mists of Pandaria are also in Diablo 3. I'm guessing that the D3 guys worked them out first and the WoW guys borrowed the ideas because they made a lot more sense.

All they've really done is streamlined the game so that players can actually have fun playing it rather than wasting time on pointless minutiae.

Torchlight's skill system is dumb, and I really hope that Torchlight 2 "borrows" from Diablo 3 when it launches.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website MSN Messenger
drae
Kenshin Himura

PostPosted: Tue Apr 17, 2012 10:19 am    Post subject: Reply with quote
StorminNorman wrote:

I don't really see why people have an issue with this, given that Diablo 3 is, you know, an online multiplayer game.

There is a single player campaign presumably for single player gaming. Many fans of the diablo series loved playing offline in single player mode, many people still have Diablo 2 on their laptop and they whip it out when, for example, they're waiting in an airport. So they're a little annoyed that Blizzard is forcing them online. Many people also don't have reliable fast internet connections, which means they can't play the game despite Diablo 3 offering a single player experience. Also, people playing hardcore mode will NOT APPRECIATE that a sudden disconnect could mean they lose their character forever Evil or Very Mad

StorminNorman wrote:

Also, none of the stuff that's been "removed" from Diablo is anything worth getting upset over. They basically got rid of the talent tree system because it was dumb and stupid.

Eh, I suppose... maybe. I'll miss the character diversity and player freedom you got with these things in though. It added replayablity imo. I am interested to see what the gameplay is like without it though.

StorminNorman wrote:

Torchlight's skill system is dumb, and I really hope that Torchlight 2 "borrows" from Diablo 3 when it launches.

It doesn't and opinions are mixed on the matter. The guy below seems to sum up both sets of fans opinions on the matter. Taking the skill system out means players are no longer in control of their character and people seem to miss that, that being said Diablo's 2 skill system and Torchlights system had some pretty big flaws.

http://diablo.incgamers.com/blog/comments/torchlight-2-hands-on-report
CG
Yukino Miyazawa

PostPosted: Tue Apr 17, 2012 10:31 am    Post subject: Reply with quote
While we're on the subject of Borderlands, are you able to play it LAN? My sister and I are interested in playing that and our internets are slow so LAN would be the only way to play it. It looks fun stuff.
OniV2
Nene Romanova

PostPosted: Tue Apr 17, 2012 10:34 am    Post subject: Reply with quote
StorminNorman wrote:
Not... really.

Borderlands is a fantastic game once you get past that first area. Can't wait for Borderlands 2 later this year.

Only if you're playing multiplayer (and you have a decent upload speed). Most folk agree that anything single player in Borderlands is more boring than plucking grass. Besides, that's a Metacritic score. Laughing
Mr Waffle
TEH WAFFLES!!11!

PostPosted: Tue Apr 17, 2012 11:51 am    Post subject: Reply with quote
StorminNorman wrote:

If it was an MMO, sure, but it has a 'singleplayer' mode, does it not? I've had a flakey internet connection all week, dropping out at least once an hour. Internode says it's not their fault, there's nothing wrong on my end, so Telstra is going to have to get involved. What if Diablo 3 came out last week? I certainly wouldn't be happy, that's for sure.
StorminNorman
Gillard-chan

PostPosted: Tue Apr 17, 2012 2:48 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote
The game does some stat tracking and other stuff while you're playing single player that requires the internet connection. Not to mention you can make a single player game multiplayer at any time by making it public or inviting your battle.net friends.

There's also stuff like hardcore mode that very definitely requires an internet connection. Playing offline would neuter so much of the game experience for D3 that it simply wouldn't be very fun.

Not to mention that even Blizzard has said that if you want offline Diablo 3, go play Torchlight.

EDIT: Also, I think you can use items you find on your own on the RMT auction house, so there would need to be some sort of verification that those items are legit, which an 'always on' connection would allow.

The reality is that people with flaky internet connections aren't really the target audience for "always online" games anyway. If your connection can't handle it, don't play the game, I guess.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website MSN Messenger
drae
Kenshin Himura

PostPosted: Tue Apr 17, 2012 6:05 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote
StorminNorman wrote:
Playing offline would neuter so much of the game experience for D3 that it simply wouldn't be very fun.

Yeah, Jay Wilson (game director) touched on this last year. He said that the always online connectivity was implemented partly (mostly) to combat the cheating and item hacking that was rife in Diablo 2 (something which spoiled multiplayer to some extent amd apparently was the number 1 thing the community wanted fixed in Diablo 3), which I suppose is fair enough but the solution they devised is still INCREDIBLY dissappointing and I can understand that people are not impressed with this. He also said that Diablo 3 was a circle trading game and they are forcing you to stay connected so you are forced to experience the game at its best... which is just him talking out of his arse Laughing

http://www.pcgamer.com/2011/08/22/diablo-3-lead-designer-on-lack-of-offline-mode-the-game%E2%80%99s-not-really-being-played-right-if-it%E2%80%99s-not-online/

Anyways, just making people aware that if you're abandoning Diablo 3 for whatever reason (need a permanent internet connection, no longer feels like Diablo, no mods etc) Torchlight 2 (a game which is rumoured to offer a gaming experience closer to Diablo 2 than Diablo 3 does) is something you may want to look into and costs like 20 bucks.
StorminNorman
Gillard-chan

PostPosted: Tue Apr 17, 2012 6:23 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote
To be fair, Diablo 3 is pretty damn fun, and you guys should totally check it out.

Spent the last few hours playing a monk. It's totally awesome.
Dr.Jackal
Sylia Stingray

PostPosted: Tue Apr 17, 2012 6:52 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote
drae wrote:
[..]no longer feels like Diablo

Every time i see someone saying this, it turns out they have not played the beta. Diablo 3 certinaly feels like Diablo, don't let the whiners on the internet make you think otherwise. Take into account it was only the first third or so of the first act, well, i can't wait to see what will be in the full game.

Also, touching on the no mods complaint, this is one i don't get at all. People rave like the modding scene for D2 was huge. Well, in my time playing D2 (four or so years off and on), i did not see/play/hear mention of a single mod, so that is no loss at all.
OniV2
Nene Romanova

PostPosted: Tue Apr 17, 2012 7:55 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote
StorminNorman wrote:

The reality is that people with flaky internet connections aren't really the target audience for "always online" games anyway. If your connection can't handle it, don't play the game, I guess.

So, Australians?
Kero-chan
Priss Asagiri

PostPosted: Tue Apr 17, 2012 8:06 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote
CG wrote:
While we're on the subject of Borderlands, are you able to play it LAN? My sister and I are interested in playing that and our internets are slow so LAN would be the only way to play it. It looks fun stuff.

Yeah there's LAN and even split-screen if you need it.
Soul Master Kaze
Shinji Ikari

PostPosted: Tue Apr 17, 2012 8:53 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote
drae wrote:
Yeah, Jay Wilson (game director) touched on this last year. He said that the always online connectivity was implemented partly (mostly) to combat the cheating and item hacking that was rife in Diablo 2 (something which spoiled multiplayer to some extent amd apparently was the number 1 thing the community wanted fixed in Diablo 3), which I suppose is fair enough but the solution they devised is still INCREDIBLY dissappointing and I can understand that people are not impressed with this.

Sounds an awful lot like you want to have your cake and eat it too.
OniV2
Nene Romanova

PostPosted: Tue Apr 17, 2012 10:41 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote
Dr.Jackal wrote:
Also, touching on the no mods complaint, this is one i don't get at all. People rave like the modding scene for D2 was huge. Well, in my time playing D2 (four or so years off and on), i did not see/play/hear mention of a single mod, so that is no loss at all.

It seems like since the recent popularity of Skyrim, folk think every game on PC will be like that game when it comes to mods.
drae
Kenshin Himura

PostPosted: Wed Apr 18, 2012 9:22 am    Post subject: Reply with quote
Dr.Jackal wrote:

Every time i see someone saying this, it turns out they have not played the beta. Diablo 3 certinaly feels like Diablo, don't let the whiners on the internet make you think otherwise.

Certainly not a complaint of mine but it is a complaint going around. I'm just acknowledging that a few people feel this way and that if they do, they may want to check out Torchlight2 which is said (by people who've had hands on experience with both) to offer an experience closer to Diablo 2 than Diablo 3.

Dr.Jackal wrote:

in my time playing D2 (four or so years off and on), i did not see/play/hear mention of a single mod, so that is no loss at all.

There was a Diablo 2 modding community... it was just illegal.

OniV2 wrote:
It seems like since the recent popularity of Skyrim, folk think every game on PC will be like that game when it comes to mods.

Modding was massive in the Elder Scrolls series ever since Morrowind (Morrowind had over 11000 mods, and I think Oblivion over 20 000 or some insane number... but Bethesda's toolkit still pales in comparison to NeverWinter Night's Aurora toolset which was just Godly and made NWN one of the best RPGS ever made Very Happy ). So you're right in that expectations have changed from 15 years ago, but it wasn't a recent shift. In Diablo 2 the fact that modding was banned wasn't much of an issue (because it was the 90s and you could get around it and nobody cared much about mods) fast forward to today and it's a bigger issue.

Soul Master Kaze wrote:
Sounds an awful lot like you want to have your cake and eat it too.

What other reason to have a cake is there Laughing
OniV2
Nene Romanova

PostPosted: Wed Apr 18, 2012 10:39 am    Post subject: Reply with quote
drae wrote:
Modding was massive in the Elder Scrolls series ever since Morrowind (Morrowind had over 11000 mods, and I think Oblivion over 20 000 or some insane number... but Bethesda's toolkit still pales in comparison to NeverWinter Night's Aurora toolset which was just Godly and made NWN one of the best RPGS ever made). So you're right in that expectations have changed from 15 years ago, but it wasn't a recent shift. In Diablo 2 the fact that modding was banned wasn't much of an issue (because it was the 90s and you could get around it and nobody cared much about mods) fast forward to today and it's a bigger issue.

It may have not been a recent shift, but Skyrim was 'senior citizens know about it' popular. I'll bet every guy and their dog that played the game on PC thinks that similar games with a similar purpose will be exactly the same... Similar to how there has been a decline in interest of Japanese RPGs since Final Fantasy XIII.
Mangaman
Magical Girl

PostPosted: Wed Apr 18, 2012 6:31 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote
OniV2 wrote:
Similar to how there has been a decline in interest of Japanese RPGs since Final Fantasy XIII.

I was thinking about that, and I think that the decline was well and truly happening in the leadup to FFXIII, but it was certainly instrumental in tipping the scales.

Now if Xenoblade Chronicles had come out on HD consoles and had been given wider exposure, that would have been a good thing Smile

The previous generation will probably be the last time we'll see Japan's development studios taking any kind of lead internationally.

Such a shame, but it's not like massive shifts haven't happened before - just look at how much of a hit EU and UK development took during the move from 16-bit computers and consoles to 32-bit platforms.
OniV2
Nene Romanova

PostPosted: Wed Apr 18, 2012 6:57 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote
I'd certainly call FFXIII the nail in the coffin for Japanese RPGs in English speaking nations. FFXIV didn't do much to try and help that either.

I'll bet if Xenoblade Chronicles was better advertised, didn't take eons to come to western shores and wasn't exclusively on the Wii, things would be different. The fact that Monster Hunter has been on the PSP and Wii between XII and Xenoblade also didn't help JRPGs.
StorminNorman
Gillard-chan

PostPosted: Wed Apr 18, 2012 7:02 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote
Dr.Jackal wrote:
Diablo 3 certinaly feels like Diablo

I just played Diablo 2 for the first time, and I have to say I don't agree with this at all.

Diablo 3 is actually fun.
Soul Master Kaze
Shinji Ikari

PostPosted: Wed Apr 18, 2012 7:10 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote
The problem is that we've been spoiled with improved game design since then. Diablo 2 just hasn't aged well.
drae
Kenshin Himura

PostPosted: Wed Apr 18, 2012 8:41 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote
OniV2 wrote:
I'd certainly call FFXIII the nail in the coffin for Japanese RPGs in English speaking nations. FFXIV didn't do much to try and help that either.

You never know, Final Fantasy Versus XIII could be a massive, earth shattering epic and completely turn around the jrpg genre's fortunes Smile

... If it ever gets released that is. I think we first saw the damn thing back in 2006 Rolling Eyes
OniV2
Nene Romanova

PostPosted: Wed Apr 18, 2012 10:14 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote
drae wrote:

You never know, Final Fantasy Versus XIII could be a massive, earth shattering epic and completely turn around the jrpg genre's fortunes Smile

... If it ever gets released that is. I think we first saw the damn thing back in 2006 Rolling Eyes

And XII-2 was... Short. Way shorter than expected, and definitely not a great improvement.
drae
Kenshin Himura

PostPosted: Fri Apr 20, 2012 7:06 am    Post subject: Reply with quote
Why are all these good looking Diablo-esque games being released at once Sad ! Anyone who's a fan of both Diablo and Torchlight needs to keep one eye on a game called "Path of Exile". It's starting to get a reputation for being a diablo 2 clone BUT improving on Diablo 2 in every single conceivable way... with a few nifty little things added here and there. It's an online rpg with, it looks like, towns as shared places and the world outside the town as private places (unless you take some friends along with you). It'll also be TOTALLY FREE and funded by "ETHICAL" MICROTRANSACTIONS. So, definately worth a look imo.

http://www.playerattack.com/news/2012/03/29/preview-path-of-exile-pc-beta/

http://www.mmorpg.com/blogs/Paragus1/042012/22855_Path-of-Exile-Beta-Review

Also, Grim Dawn is a title being developed by former titan quest developers who are looking to make a sort of, spiritual sequel I suppose, to Titan Quest. It's a little behind the other 3 titles and struggling financially but it's promising and there's a little bit of hype starting to build about it.

http://www.pcgamer.com/2012/04/18/grim-dawn-kickstarter-seeks-funding-for-ambitious-open-world-action-rpg/
drae
Kenshin Himura

PostPosted: Fri Apr 20, 2012 7:31 am    Post subject: Reply with quote
Quote:
In a chilling summary, the far-right fanatic claimed on Thursday that he sharpened his aim by playing computer games for more than a year before Norway's worst peacetime massacre.

Breivik said he played the computer game Modern Warfare for 16 months starting in January 2010, primarily to get a feel for how to use rifle sights. In 2006 he devoted a full year to playing World of Warcraft, for 16 hours a day, he said.

http://www.smh.com.au/technology/technology-news/norway-killer-sharpened-aim-with-video-games-20120420-1xas3.html

Oh honestly Rolling Eyes
HeDanny
Grumpy Old Man

PostPosted: Fri Apr 20, 2012 8:01 am    Post subject: Reply with quote
I'll be skipping Path of Exile. Not really a fan of the Fremium thing. Grim Dawn may be worth a look when released. I remember quite liking Titan Quest back in the day.

When it comes to "Diablo" games, I've not liked any as much as Diablo. The only ones that I ever sunk any more than a few dozen hours into were Fate (and its expansions) which I think would rival all the time I spent on Diablo. Also Torchlight. While for some reason (probably the fishing changes, I know, such a strange thing) I can't get into it as much as I did with Fate, its still pretty much the only game that gets automatically re-installed every time I rebuild my PC. In fact right now its the only game installed.

That will not be the case soon. I got Dragon Age Complete so finally I can try it properly and see what all the fuss is about.

It came with a "free" copy of DA2, but I don't think I'll bother with that one. Its just the base game (no DLC or anything) and at this stage I'm not sure I'll even get therough the first game!
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website Yahoo Messenger
Feball3001
Melfina

PostPosted: Fri Apr 20, 2012 9:20 am    Post subject: Reply with quote
Got my first set of Elite armor last night on Guild Wars Very Happy and was added straight to my Hall of Monuments which gives me 10 points towards Guild Wars 2 perks. Was also working towards finishing the main story line for prophecies again.
Sethscar
Minawa Andou

PostPosted: Fri Apr 20, 2012 11:59 am    Post subject: Reply with quote
drae wrote:
Quote:
In a chilling summary, the far-right fanatic claimed on Thursday that he sharpened his aim by playing computer games for more than a year before Norway's worst peacetime massacre.

Breivik said he played the computer game Modern Warfare for 16 months starting in January 2010, primarily to get a feel for how to use rifle sights. In 2006 he devoted a full year to playing World of Warcraft, for 16 hours a day, he said.

http://www.smh.com.au/technology/technology-news/norway-killer-sharpened-aim-with-video-games-20120420-1xas3.html

Oh honestly Rolling Eyes

Had to get a feel for aiming down rifle sights and 16-hours of Warcraft a day? I'm surprised he was able to summon the courage to leave his house. Breivik casts troll against Norway Court, it's super effective!
Mangaman
Magical Girl

PostPosted: Fri Apr 20, 2012 1:15 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote
OniV2 wrote:
And XII-2 was... Short. Way shorter than expected, and definitely not a great improvement.

For me, shorter = big improvement. But I'm time-poor, so I tend to shy away from games that soak up too many hours, which a lot do these days with too much padding.

Mind, if I was younger, I'd probably be stoked with long games. I poured hours into Phantasy Star 2 and 4 without thinking twice, same with Secret of Mana (I OCD'd and got everyone at max level for every item Razz)... so my gripe about padding is a bit moot when you consider how hard you need to grind your character levels in PS2 Wink

Rose-tinted glasses, gotta love 'em Very Happy
OniV2
Nene Romanova

PostPosted: Fri Apr 20, 2012 3:28 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote
Mangaman wrote:

For me, shorter = big improvement.

For me, a short Final Fantasy game is more like a Final Day Dream.
Dr.Jackal
Sylia Stingray

PostPosted: Fri Apr 20, 2012 4:10 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote
I think i sunk about 45-50 hours collecting all fragments and maxing out my chocobos (Maxing out late bloomer monsters is the most 'grindyest' part of the game, Noel and Serah will max out easy), so that is more then long enough for me.

Edit: Also fighting that asshole in oerba, the rare super spawn boss guy.
drae
Kenshin Himura

PostPosted: Fri Apr 20, 2012 6:53 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote
News on the enhanced edition of Baldurs Gate

Quote:
Beamdog boss Trent Oster has been throwing out tidbits of information on the upcoming Enhanced Edition of Baldur’s Gate in a flurry of activity on Twitter, spotted by Shacknews. They suggest that Beamdog’s updated version of Bioware’s RPG classic will feature a raised level cap to provide a bit of extra headroom for the new quests.

The enhanced edition will feature a few new characters, too. The search for voice actors is already underway, and Oster even teases the possibility that Jim Cummings could return to reprise his role as Minsc. But who will play Boo?

The Enhanced Edition will retain Baldur’s Gate’s default difficulty levels, but we should expect a more vigorous challenge from bonus quest enemies. “For our new content they are nasty” Oster tweets. He also mentions that “Mod support will be improved,” and suggests that the excellent widescreen mod has had an influence on development.

In addition, “#bgee will have all the classes and races added by BG2 and Throne of Bhall. We’re planning at least one completely new kit.” The six-character party cap will remain, to save the team having to rebalance the entire game.

http://www.pcgamer.com/2012/04/17/baldurs-gate-enhanced-edition-will-raise-level-cap-add-new-characters-improve-mod-support/

I frikken can't wait. This is an awesome time to be an rpg gamer, so many great games being released Very Happy
Kero-chan
Priss Asagiri

PostPosted: Sat Apr 21, 2012 1:29 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote
Mangaman wrote:
Rose-tinted glasses, gotta love 'em Very Happy

I think you have rose-tinted eyeballs mate. Wink
Mangaman
Magical Girl

PostPosted: Sat Apr 21, 2012 6:28 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote
Kero-chan wrote:
I think you have rose-tinted eyeballs mate. Wink

lol, I think you're probably right Very Happy
OniV2
Nene Romanova

PostPosted: Sat Apr 21, 2012 8:53 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote
My girlfriend is playing FFXIII (since she never finished it, and wants to play XIII-2), and I must say- it's ever so much fun for us to make fun of the datalog together. The explanations are so vague and don't really give you any concrete information about what they're supposed to be describing. Hell, 75% of the story is in the datalogs.
Mangaman
Magical Girl

PostPosted: Tue Apr 24, 2012 10:23 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote
Sounds a bit like the convoluted mess that is Kingdom Hearts 2. And all those silly sequels.

I'd love to see a Kingdom Hearts 3. Not sure if we'll see one this generation, unless E3 proves this wrong. Which would be fine.
Mr Waffle
TEH WAFFLES!!11!

PostPosted: Wed Apr 25, 2012 12:14 am    Post subject: Reply with quote
The Dragon's Dogma demo is out now on XBL and maybe PSN. Has two quests in it (one as warrior and one as ranger), and the full character customisation suite, and the character can be used in the full game. Wish there was more meat to the demo but I really enjoyed the combat as it was so looking forward to the release.
Soul Master Kaze
Shinji Ikari

PostPosted: Wed Apr 25, 2012 9:37 am    Post subject: Reply with quote
Mangaman wrote:
Sounds a bit like the convoluted mess that is Kingdom Hearts 2. And all those silly sequels.

I'd love to see a Kingdom Hearts 3. Not sure if we'll see one this generation, unless E3 proves this wrong. Which would be fine.

Funny that you should mention Kingdom Hearts 2. I knocked it off my Pile of Shame yesterday, after being quite literally 20 minutes away from the ending for the past 6 years. The ending definitely leaves room for a third game. Personally, though, I would have loved an opportunity to play as Kairi for a bit.
OniV2
Nene Romanova

PostPosted: Wed Apr 25, 2012 10:45 am    Post subject: Reply with quote
Soul Master Kaze wrote:
Funny that you should mention Kingdom Hearts 2. I knocked it off my Pile of Shame yesterday, after being quite literally 20 minutes away from the ending for the past 6 years. The ending SPOILER Personally, though, I would have loved an opportunity to play as Kairi for a bit.

A third game that will never happen.
Soul Master Kaze
Shinji Ikari

PostPosted: Wed Apr 25, 2012 10:49 am    Post subject: Reply with quote
There aren't many games that I would preorder collector's editions for, but that's one of them.
CG
Yukino Miyazawa

PostPosted: Wed Apr 25, 2012 12:20 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote
Mr Waffle wrote:
The Dragon's Dogma demo is out now on XBL and maybe PSN. Has two quests in it (one as warrior and one as ranger), and the full character customisation suite, and the character can be used in the full game. Wish there was more meat to the demo but I really enjoyed the combat as it was so looking forward to the release.

I heard the combat was more like Monster Hunter rather than Demons/Dark Souls. Is that the case?

RE: Kingdom Hearts stuff

I attempted to play Kingdom Hearts again sometime last year and I just really couldn't get into it. If you'd have asked for before if I enjoyed the series I'd have given you a resounding yes. So yeah, I'm not sure anymore.

Maybe I should give KH2 another go as I recall enjoying that one a bit more. Or maybe the spinoffs. Birth By Sleep looks cool and all.
Mr Waffle
TEH WAFFLES!!11!

PostPosted: Wed Apr 25, 2012 2:03 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote
CG wrote:
I heard the combat was more like Monster Hunter rather than Demons/Dark Souls. Is that the case?

Never played either so can't really say, though I've heard that's the case. It's kind of the combat of Monster Hunter in a Dungeons & Dragons style world.
Mangaman
Magical Girl

PostPosted: Wed Apr 25, 2012 8:53 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote
@Kingdom Hearts discussion: Would be great if a third game did finally happen, the spin-offs all seem like they're an extended filler arc waiting for the next decent part of the series to continue. I found that I really enjoed the first game, but my interest in the second one dropped off after dropping a good 5-10 hours into it. I eventually went back to it after a while and really enjoyed finishing it... I think I got the silly nerd ending because I OCD'd my way to the end, and yeah, it was a great finish with some room to move for a sequel.

@Dragon's Dogma: Thanks for the heads-up on the demo, will cue it up over the weekend. Looking forward to seeing how it plays, as I remember being interested after watching one of the trailers.
Mr Waffle
TEH WAFFLES!!11!

PostPosted: Wed Apr 25, 2012 11:13 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote
Mangaman wrote:
@Dragon's Dogma: Thanks for the heads-up on the demo, will cue it up over the weekend. Looking forward to seeing how it plays, as I remember being interested after watching one of the trailers.

When you play it, keep in mind it's a repurposing of one of those convention demos, which are designed to give you a taste of a section and then you leave and the next person plays. It's not a huge chunk of the game which people were looking forward to, rather it's just a couple of setpiece moments to show off combat etc. (Hint: use the 'grab' feature on the big monsters and climb around on them! And if you want to check out the day-night cycle, in the "countryside" quest just stand around and watch the sun set, fighting with fire magic at night is rather pretty).

Even then, I've gone back and played it half a dozen times, it's fun trying out the different skills or making it more difficult for yourself (eg: throw your pawn off a cliff so you have to do the quest alone Laughing )
Kero-chan
Priss Asagiri

PostPosted: Fri Apr 27, 2012 9:43 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote
I think I'm finally done with Borderlands ...for now. I've finished the main game twice, all of the DLC once and hit the level cap with my toon. One day I'd like to do it all again with a different class, but I think it's time I actually played Disgaea 4. Razz
OniV2
Nene Romanova

PostPosted: Sat Apr 28, 2012 8:40 am    Post subject: Reply with quote
CG wrote:
I attempted to play Kingdom Hearts again sometime last year and I just really couldn't get into it. If you'd have asked for before if I enjoyed the series I'd have given you a resounding yes. So yeah, I'm not sure anymore.

Maybe I should give KH2 another go as I recall enjoying that one a bit more. Or maybe the spinoffs. Birth By Sleep looks cool and all.

I only played and beat the original Kingdom Hearts, and Kingdom Hearts: Chain of Memories. I haven't even bothered buying the others.

Also, I'll bet people will laugh at the fact that I dropped Kingdom Hearts for a year because I couldn't figure out Tarzan's level. When I finally got back to it a year later, I beat the game in another hour.
Soul Master Kaze
Shinji Ikari

PostPosted: Sat Apr 28, 2012 1:37 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote
Given that there's no skippable cutscenes in KH1 (unless you somehow got your hands on Final Mix), I'm finding that really, really difficult to believe.
OniV2
Nene Romanova

PostPosted: Sat Apr 28, 2012 6:48 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote
Soul Master Kaze wrote:
Given that there's no skippable cutscenes in KH1 (unless you somehow got your hands on Final Mix), I'm finding that really, really difficult to believe.

The cutscenes are also short as feck.
Soul Master Kaze
Shinji Ikari

PostPosted: Sun Apr 29, 2012 1:00 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote
It takes about 2 hours to get to the Deep Jungle section. Then, after you complete a certain point in Hollow Bastion, about six worlds at 45 minutes each, assuming that you go straight for the goal and don't get sidetracked, you have to go back and do all of the worlds (to an extent) again before moving on to the End of the World.

Kingdom Hearts isn't a three-hour game. It just isn't.
OniV2
Nene Romanova

PostPosted: Sun Apr 29, 2012 2:22 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote
Soul Master Kaze wrote:
It takes about 2 hours to get to the Deep Jungle section. Then, after you complete a certain point in Hollow Bastion, about six worlds at 45 minutes each, assuming that you go straight for the goal and don't get sidetracked, you have to go back and do all of the worlds (to an extent) again before moving on to the End of the World.

Kingdom Hearts isn't a three-hour game. It just isn't.

It took me another hour to complete. Why even assume what part I was up to? I just said I got stuck in Tarzan's level. I was also relatively close to the end of the game.
CG
Yukino Miyazawa

PostPosted: Sun Apr 29, 2012 3:02 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote
I got stuck in the Tarzan level because I'm a moron. I have a bad habit in video games of just assuming I've been places so when you need to be in a specific place to trigger the next event it can be a headache. Razz
Mangaman
Magical Girl

PostPosted: Sun Apr 29, 2012 5:51 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote
CG wrote:
I got stuck in the Tarzan level because I'm a moron. I have a bad habit in video games of just assuming I've been places so when you need to be in a specific place to trigger the next event it can be a headache. Razz

I, uh, did the same thing too I think Wink

In other news, Awesomenauts has the best trailer ever. Note that in this context, "best" is being influenced by all the delightful tips of the hat to 80s cartoons that I watched with the kind of enthusiasm an overly-energetic ranga who grew up in the 80s could do in that era. Even if most of it was purely aimed at selling toys/pizza/capitalism.

Page 326 of 341

Jump to: