Usergroups  ·  Register ·    Profile  ·  Log in to check your private messages  ·   Log in     

Been out of the game

Been out of the game
Author
Cagalli Yula Attha

PostPosted: Tue Nov 27, 2012 6:51 pm    Post subject: Been out of the game Reply with quote
I haven't watched much anime in the last seven years. But recently I've been watching Sword Art Online. There's much I like about it - it's interesting to see people removed from their comfortable lives and placed in a life or death situation. It's interesting to see a society form, to see who works together and otherwise, the different approaches people have to the same situation.

But there's so much I don't like about it - the fanservice, the sexism (every single female character exists only to be in love with the male lead, even his goddam sister) and even the cheesy superhero-ness of the main character bother me too much.

Does anyone have any recomendations for a series from the last seven or so years that is more to my taste? Drama or Comedy, science fiction or whatever. I just don't want typical good guy boring male super heroes, or girls who only exist for men. I want characters that behave like real people do. Here's a list of stuff I like to give you an idea. The first four are the only other anime series I have watched in the last seven years.

Usagi drop / Bunny drop (loved it to death)
Twin Spica
Kuragehime / Princess Jellyfish (okay this breaks a lot of what I said I was looking for, but it was really funny)
Denno Coil (gave up before the end)
Planetes (the manga is my favorite thing ever)
Patlabor (the movies, tried the series but it wasn't as interesting)
Evangelion (the original, dont want to watch the remakes)

Thanks madpeople
The Tragic Man
Tomoyo Daidouji

PostPosted: Tue Nov 27, 2012 7:09 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote
With regards to Planetes, the story goes off in a different direction, so reading the manga isn't an advantage/disadvantage in knowing the plot.

For slice-of-life with a sci-fi setting, I'd recommend the Aria series (The Animation, The Natural, The Origination). If you do check it out, be aware that there's almost no inter-person conflict. That doesn't stop it being stagely addictive, however.
JESTER
Ruri Hoshino

PostPosted: Tue Nov 27, 2012 8:38 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote
There's a few that come to mind. Top of the list are these :

Eden of the East - including movies

Kaze no Stigma - The ep Father and Son is one of my all time faves

Black Butler

Heroic Age

Sengoku Basara/season 2 & movie

Rideback

When travelling, set no limits. Just experience it, live the moment and enjoy the ride.
Blaze
Washu Hakubi

PostPosted: Tue Nov 27, 2012 8:52 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote
Check out Emma: A Victorian Romance, Crest of the Stars, Outlaw Star, Maria Watches Over Us, and Figure17.
Knight of L-sama
Tina Foster

PostPosted: Wed Nov 28, 2012 8:35 am    Post subject: Reply with quote
You might want to try Accel World. Its a series by the same author as the Sword Art Online Novels (and strongly implied to be in the same setting about 20 years later) but a bit more polished in terms of story and characterisation.

Bodacious Space Pirates is damn good and available on Crunchyroll and meets all your criteria (I'd call it and Accel World my picks of 2011).

If you missed Madoka Magica, now is the time to correct that, even if you don't normally watch mahou shoujo.

Will probably think of more later.
StorminNorman
Gillard-chan

PostPosted: Wed Nov 28, 2012 6:10 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote
If you're looking at sexual equality in anime, then you're probably going to need to find some other hobby.

Seconding Bodacious Space Pirates though. It's a brilliant show.

If you like Sword Art Online then you should probably watch .hack//SIGN, as SAO is essentially an unabashed knockoff of that vastly superior show.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website MSN Messenger

Page 1 of 1

Jump to: