Usergroups  ·  Register ·    Profile  ·  Log in to check your private messages  ·   Log in     

Rebuild of Evangelion: Not a 'Remake' but the Next Kalpa?

Rebuild of Evangelion: Not a 'Remake' but the Next Kalpa?
Author
Kenji Harima

PostPosted: Fri Apr 20, 2012 12:21 pm    Post subject: Rebuild of Evangelion: Not a 'Remake' but the Next Kalpa? Reply with quote
Short disclaimer: Been a while since I posted. I should mention that I've only just watched the two Rebuild movies yesterday after getting back from Japan and after being hit with the realisation, I instantly jumped on Google and found a plethora of sites and blogs that talk about these same notes. I mentioned this to some mates of mine and my brothers and they seemed mostly unaware of the possible connection, so I thought it would be cool to post here.

SPOILERS SPOILERS SPOILERS SPOILERS SPOILERS

The Rebuild of Evangelion:
Not a 'remake' but the next kalpic cycle in the story

Summation and/or points of interest:
-Mark.06 is actually the original Unit-01 from the series and EOE.
-The seas are made of blood because it is the same sea of LCL we see at the end of EOE.
-The smeared landscape of blood on the moon is from the very same spurt that shot from Lilith-Rei in EOE.
-“The promised time has come, Shinji. This time I will, at least, make you happy.”-Kaworu Nagisa.
-The enourmous 'chalk-type' outlines on the landscapes could be where the MP Evas landed after Shinji aborted the Human Instrumentality Project in EOE.
-Etcetera, etcetera...

---

Okay, so I'm sure most here will already know of these theories and have seen some of the connections present in the Rebuild movies but because I initially thought Rebuild was a 'remake', I didn't watch it. The original series and EOE, I thought, were (and are still) perfect - "Why the hell would it need to be remade other than for profit?" So, anyway, I came back from another trip to Japan yesterday and after spending money on a ton of Eva figurines and nendoroids, I felt like finally giving the Rebuild movies a shot.

I borrowed the DVDs from my younger brother and as soon as I put the disc in the player, I knew something was up. There are just far too many 'coincidences' in the imagery and scenarios for it not to be done purposely so. It got to the stage that I was getting goosebumps.

So basically (I'm too tired to write an exhaustive, comprehensive post, or perhaps I'll continue to post more in this thread as I find the time), the events that are taking place in the Rebuild films are happening in the next kalpic cycle after the events of the original series and the EOE. This could mean that, if we take the ending of EOE literally, Shinji and Asuka became the 'Adam and Eve' of the next kalpa and that many thousands of years down the line, the events of Rebuild take place. If we choose to view the ending of EOE not at face value, then it could be said that the beach scene was simply another of Shinji's visions and that he chose to 'try it all over again' with slight tweaks to the circumstances.

It would seem Evangelion is kind of like a microcosm of Buddhism. The key people/players are reincarnated, aeon (kalpa) runs into the next aeon (kalpa) and the only way to seemingly escape the cycle is Third Impact. Kind of like how attaining nirvana or enlightenment in Buddhism sets you free of the pain and repetition of the life cycles. This adds a lot more weight to SEELE's agenda of the Human Instrumentality Project.

So, at guesswork, I could say that at the end of Rebuild we will either see a successful Third Impact or Shinji somehow manages to find a way to break the cyclical nature of their universe (which is also my wager for the ending of TWOT with Rand).

---

Would really like to hear people's thoughts or views on the 'continuity' of the Rebuild films. Feel free to add more source information for or against the theory.

Have at it.

Last edited by Blue Monday on Fri Jun 15, 2012 1:13 am; edited 3 times in total
Kimura
BT

PostPosted: Fri Apr 20, 2012 1:36 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote
I think what you've presented here is really interesting because there are certainly those elemenents in the rebuilds that are hinting at the possibillity that this is another cycle in the story. I think I was first struck by the sea of blood/LCL in the rebuilds and immediately thought of End of Evangelion. Also Kaworu's line that you point out really struck me as odd too because it had never been pointed out that Kaworu and Shinji had met.

I also found an interesting interview/statement posted on here http://wiki.evageeks.org/Statements_by_Evangelion_Staff
Scroll down to the "Hideaki Anno: Statement about New Evangelion Movies" article and you will see this:
"Eva" is a story that repeats.
It is a story where the main character witnesses many horrors with his own eyes, but still tries to stand up again.
It is a story of will; a story of moving forward, if only just a little.
It is a story of fear, where someone who must face indefinite solitude fears reaching out to others, but still wants to try.
We hope that you look forward to the 4 new retellings of this story

While Anno doesn't blatantly point out that it is another cycle, he does point that it does repeat in both story and motifs and I think that it could we'll be read that this is another cycle in the story if you take his statements and the other visual elements of the film that you and others have discovered.

I guess to kind of play devils advocate, it could very well be that these are just visual elements that in hindsight, they wish that had originally included in the tv series after making EoE, but I think that is the magic of the film itself. As an art student, I've had to do a lot of study in art theory and semiotics and Eva in all its forms has to be one of the most compelling pieces of work to look at really.
Blue Monday
Kenji Harima

PostPosted: Fri Apr 20, 2012 2:36 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote
Kimura wrote:
"Eva" is a story that repeats.
It is a story where the main character witnesses many horrors with his own eyes, but still tries to stand up again.
It is a story of will; a story of moving forward, if only just a little.
It is a story of fear, where someone who must face indefinite solitude fears reaching out to others, but still wants to try.
We hope that you look forward to the 4 new retellings of this story

Hadn't seen this yet! Gave me a chill when reading it. The part in bold seems particularly relevant. Kind of reminds me of how kalpas work in The Elder Scrolls, only some things change slightly ("...moving forward, if only just a little") from one cycle to the next; but that in itself has consequences that make that kalpa look completely alien, unique or different from the known one.

I think one thing that could possibly strongly suggest that the series/EOE are connected to Rebuild is Mark.06. I mentioned in that point that I think it is the original Unit-01, that being Unit-01 was in space at the end of EOE. I posit that it got pulled back into orbit by Earth's gravity and crash landed on the moon, hence why they were 'building' it up there. I know the reason given is because it's construction is top secret but that doesn't mean you have to do it on the moon. I reckon it's because they found it up there. Just like how they found Adam in Antarctica.

Speaking of Adam:

Is there anyway to stretch that Adam could be in-fact another Unit-01 or Evangelion from a previous cycle? We know the Evas are clones of Adam, engineered to be fighting machines but looking at the brief imagery we have of Adam seems eerie. Why does he have the shoulder pauldrons/fins? It could be that Nerv/Gehirn just stylised them in his image but they're actually there for a reason on the Evangelions; for the rail-dockings.

I know the Rebuild Kaworu says some other spooky stuff as well, like; saying he's looking forward to seeing Shinji again when he wakes up on the moon at the end of the first movie. Mentioning that he (Shinji) hasn't changed a bit.

As you said though Dustin, it could all just be visual elements that they are playing with for many different reasons. Almost like creative nods to the series and EOE. Even if it is just that, it redeems the entire Rebuild project for me, haha.
azn2newbie
Hajime Saitou

PostPosted: Sat Apr 21, 2012 11:19 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote
The Evangelion mythos is just mind boggling, like you guys, I've noticed the similarities from the previous series and knew it was more than just a coincidence.

Can't wait for what Anno has in store for us.

PS: I should stop speculating this any further before my head explodes from pure epicness. Mr. Green
Feball3001
Melfina

PostPosted: Mon Apr 23, 2012 9:28 am    Post subject: Reply with quote
This is making me want to watch End of Evangelion which I have never seen. I watched the first rebuild movie, watched the series and then watched the second rebuild movie and at first went in thinking that when I watched the series the first few episodes where going to be the same but with older animation and remember being fascinated by the things that where slightly different but can't remember what they where now.
Faz
Doraemon

PostPosted: Mon Apr 23, 2012 11:14 am    Post subject: Re: The Rebuild of Evangelion: Not a 'Remake' but the Next K Reply with quote
Blue Monday wrote:
This could mean that, if we take the ending of EOE literally, Shinji and Asuka became the 'Adam and Eve' of the next kalpa and that many thousands of years down the line, the events of Rebuild take place.

Shinji and Asuka are not Adam and Eve, it's clearly stated that anyone can come back, Shinji and Asuka are just the first 2.

Blue Monday wrote:
We know the Evas are clones of Adam, engineered to be fighting machines but looking at the brief imagery we have of Adam seems eerie.

Unit-01 is a clone of Lilith.

Blue Monday wrote:
Why does he have the shoulder pauldrons/fins?

The Katsuragi team were experimenting on Adam so it seems reasonable that they would give Adam similar restraints to what the Evas would later have.

Also, all of these things relate to the original series only, it is not a good idea to assume that these things still apply to the rebuild universe as so much is already different. Adam in particular, now we have AdamS.

Also, for all you sequel theory nutters:

Blue Monday
Kenji Harima

PostPosted: Mon Apr 23, 2012 5:26 pm    Post subject: Re: The Rebuild of Evangelion: Not a 'Remake' but the Next K Reply with quote
Faz wrote:
Shinji and Asuka are not Adam and Eve, it's clearly stated that anyone can come back, Shinji and Asuka are just the first 2.

I realise that, just more posturing on my part. The EOE dialogue insinuates that more people will get their bodies back from the LCL sea over time – So Asuka and Shinji may not be the only two people left on the Earth.

I had forgotten that Unit-01 was derived from Lilith and not Adam - That's why it's so different from the rest of the Eva series yet hugely intrinsic to the plan, I guess. Also forgot that there were those weird light giants that Adam shed during Second Impact in the Rebuild events.

I'm going to try and re-watch the movies again in the coming days. I did rush it, in-fact, it was probably one of the first things I did when I got home from the airport last Thursday, haha. I'm rushing the whole thing in general, as I have let myself miss out on Rebuild till now and am feeling the need to 'catch-up' or something.
SVanD
Hajime Saitou

PostPosted: Fri May 04, 2012 6:43 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote
What is this... The Endless 8 of Evangelion?

Sorry, but I don't buy it.

That picture doesn't say much at all really. Apart from "Rebuild has a lot of references to EOE in it". Here's my take on it.

An Eva core for an Eva... Gee wizz, who'da thunk it. Unit 01 has a core and so does unit 00 and Unit 02. When shinji pulls Rei's soul from the angel in 2.22, Eva 01 separates unit 00's core from the angels core- the angels body then loses it's AT field and dies, erupting, before reforming around unit 00's core where Rei's soul resides as the dominant soul, hence dictating her new body formed from her AT field as an "eva that looks like Rei". Then it merges with Unit 01 who later has 2 cores. And... They pull out Unit 02's core when they put it into stasis. So it's safe to assume all Eva's have cores in Rebuild.

A chalk outline on a hill, does not equal a petrified eva in an ocean. Who drew that outline? did people draw it? Why? What's the point of it? It's a not so subtle reference to EOE at best. How about, it's the impact spot where they fired the lance of longinus with a lunar mass driver into Lilith's chest to subdue her? Or maybe it's a nazca line? It looks like one. I'd believe that before I believe it's a carry over from EOE.

The oceans is an obvious reference to EOE's oceans, but Kaji says the inky red oceans where created during the 2nd impact in 2000. This time around, 2nd impact involved the sky turning red, 4 beings of light and 4 lances... So it's fair to assume that this time around the oceans turned red (all sea life turning into LCL perhaps? As part of the process of wiping the planet clean of life to birth a new god perhaps? Ritsuko describes the toll of creating a god is the destruction of all life that came before it in 2.22 after all).

The seas are red again? Yeah, I don't get the comparison on that bit. What am I missing?

So, if the red mark on the moon is the same one created in EOE, then why is it there and the red stripe in the sky gone? That stripe was made from ice crystals formed from Lilith's blood when she died. They ended up in orbit around the planet at the end of EOE. They should still be there even if this was thousands of years later. Why is one there and not the other?

Is that Anno? I wouldn't know to be honest. He is the biggest troll ever though...

Everyone knows that EOE was his way of telling all the fans of Eva who hated his original ending to go F themselves right? Watch the movie again, just before Lilith's head falls off he flashes a bunch of text on the screen... Those are the emailed death threats he received from otaku fans of the show. His "F you" is to have the perfect end of the world where everyone is happy be destroyed by Shinji who wants everyone to just die... Unit 01 saves the day though, and at least gives people a chance to come back so the ending isn't a total arse-hat bad end.

I can just picture him asking "you mad bro" after people saw Asuka and Shinji wake up on a beach. So I wouldn't really bring out bits and pieces of EOE as evidence about anything in Rebuild.

There are even more references to EOE in the upcoming 3.0 but I doubt any of them mean anything. They're just subtle nods to the previous work. You can see the blood spattered on the moon in the 3.0 preview on youtube; with 4 beings of light present during 2nd impact, who's to say that wasn't from an apocalyptic battle between those 4 that humanity had to stop before we where wiped out in the cross fire? Who know's anything yet? Anno does (trollolol).

I miss the old days where Eva is discussed to the ninth degree and every little bit of it was scrutenised, but the only scrutenising of Rebuild I've seen so far is the theory that it's a continuation of EOE... Come on, there's a heap of mysteries to be seen in Rebuild without remembering EOE...

things like...

The base Mari fights at in the beginning of 2.22 that suspiciously looks a lot like the black moon of lilith.

The aquarium filtering tanks that just happens to be shaped like the Kabbalah tree of life diagram (see, another reference to EOE that doesn't mean anything).

Who does Mari work for? Not Nerv... Not Seele... The guys who made Jet Alone perhaps? Or perhaps she's a spy for the Vatican... Or better yet, she's working for Kaji... Both of them speak Engrish, so they're very suspicious... But then who does Kaji work for in this version? Is it still the Japanese government?

Unit 05 was sabotaged by Kaji, under orders from Gendou... So, did Kaji wake the 3rd angel up in order to steal the Lost Key of Nebuchadnezzar? The other people there looked surprised that he was leaving; "I just let a monster out of it's cell, sabotaged your Eva (and got Mari, my spy to pilot it) and stole your treasure.. So then, good luck".

Asuka's puppet has her own name on it. So then, it was her mothers substitute for her (?)... So why does she like it so much, it's a comfort for her when she's alone... Her mother tore the dolls head off in the original Eva, so it's different again, but why would she want to keep a thing that took her mother away from her?

Not really a mystery, but an interesting freeze frame moment in 2.22. When Shinji is going nuts in Unit 01 to save Rei and Maya describes how his plug depth is getting dangerous, freeze frame it so you can see her screen... The depths read as "safe", "absolute", "terminal" and... "the great beyond depth" Shocked What the fricken hell does that mean?! Is that a scientific term? Kinda scary.

Ok, setting aside the rabid Eva monkey inside me that just made me write "war and peace"; Rebuild is exactly that, a Rebuild (re: remake). So lets just wait and see how the rest pans out before we jump on the "it's a sequel" bandwagon.

I'm more interested in the mysteries to come.

My 2c Very Happy
Faz
Doraemon

PostPosted: Sun May 06, 2012 10:54 am    Post subject: Reply with quote
SVanD wrote:
That picture doesn't say much at all really. Apart from "Rebuild has a lot of references to EOE in it".

Just a clarification, I didn't make that pic and I don't support sequel theory, just posted it because it shows some of the main arguments for sequel theory. And it was made before 2.0 so people didn't know it was an Eva yet, thus the reference to the core.

Quote:
How about, it's the impact spot where they fired the lance of longinus with a lunar mass driver into Lilith's chest to subdue her? Or maybe it's a nazca line? It looks like one.

lolwut?

Quote:
So, if the red mark on the moon is the same one created in EOE, then why is it there and the red stripe in the sky gone? That stripe was made from ice crystals formed from Lilith's blood when she died. They ended up in orbit around the planet at the end of EOE. They should still be there even if this was thousands of years later.

Not necessarily, it's not like the blood stream would be able to form a stable orbit. So, it's possible that it wouldn't last forever.

Quote:
Everyone knows that EOE was his way of telling all the fans of Eva who hated his original ending to go F themselves right? Watch the movie again, just before Lilith's head falls off he flashes a bunch of text on the screen... Those are the emailed death threats he received from otaku fans of the show.

Probably one of the biggest misconceptions about EoE. Go here to read more about it.
Specifically; "most of the letters and emails showed genuine appreciation and, in some cases, praise and encouragement/anticipation towards the End of Evangelion."

Quote:
Unit 01 saves the day though, and at least gives people a chance to come back so the ending isn't a total arse-hat bad end.

It's more like Shinji rejects instrumentality rather than Unit-01 doing so. Yui-sama just uses 3rd Impact to blast off into space and exist for all eternity.

Quote:
I miss the old days where Eva is discussed to the ninth degree and every little bit of it was scrutenised, but the only scrutenising of Rebuild I've seen so far is the theory that it's a continuation of EOE.

You want discussion? Cause we've got discussion. A lot of discussion...

Quote:
Rebuild is exactly that, a Rebuild (re: remake).

Just on a side note, the films aren't actually "officially" called Rebuild, that's a name us fans and some media (IIRC Newtype USA) started calling it. The more official label is NME (New Movie Editions). Just sayin'.
Blue Monday
Kenji Harima

PostPosted: Mon May 07, 2012 12:29 am    Post subject: Reply with quote
SVanD wrote:
Everyone knows that EOE was his way of telling all the fans of Eva who hated his original ending to go F themselves right?

Correct me if I'm wrong but aren't the events that transpire in the EOE make up the original intended ending anyway? I thought the reason why the series had the bizarre sketchy* ending was because the studio ran out of money, so they couldn't produce/animate the grand finale they wanted. Gainax had a big idea but not the money to implement it.

Then a year or two later, they procured the funds to make EOE.

Not sure if that's the case, but I've always been of the belief that the TV ending and EOE are not separate, just simply the same events told from different perspectives/methods. I do recall like two or three years ago when I did a re-watch, you can pause at certain moments during those last two episodes and there are stills of Unit-01 rising into space with wings. There's also other images of Unit-02 curled up in a foetal position underwater, and a couple more that are kind of like concept works of what eventually would be realised in the movie. They're just layered in with all the other flashing still images. Here are some I managed to find that are shown in the original episode 25:

* If you watch those last two episodes you'll notice there isn't much actual new animation. It either reuses existing frames, flashes still images, splashed in with some new animation; like the scene of that alternative reality where Yui is still alive and Shinji is living a relatively carefree, normal existence. The fact that it's nearly all still images hardly matters though in context, mainly because the series utilises that same psychoanalysis method a few times, so it slots right in. That's why it's so cool!

Edit: Also found the below notes from the EvaGeeks Wiki regarding episode 25.

EvaGeeks wrote:
-Several "glimpses of reality" the audience is shown in this episode include Asuka at the bottom of a lake, Ritsuko's body floating in a pool of LCL, and Misato having been shot. All of these scenes are also shown in The End of Evangelion.
-Many scenes from the series are also recycled with different dialogue.
Blue Monday
Kenji Harima

PostPosted: Tue May 08, 2012 9:10 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote
Hmm, the more I look into this, the less likely it seems. Was just reading that there's apparently an excised scene from the Rebuild 2I that shows a spurt of blood escaping Earth's atmosphere and marking the moon.
SVanD
Hajime Saitou

PostPosted: Tue May 08, 2012 9:13 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote
Yeah, the running out of money thing was one of the rumours as to why the last 2 episodes of Eva are pretty sketchy. It's a typical Gainex ending really... Leave everything up til the last minute and just patchwork a solution on the last few episodes.

Some other rumours include Anno not taking his anti depression meds half way through; which is why Eva stumbles out of the gate, then becomes a monster of the week mecha show for a little while and then starts getting really dark and messed up before systematically destroying each of the characters in turn before the final two episodes which are each "20 minutes of emotional images"

But I digress...

You're certainly right about the freeze frame moments of Misato and Ritsuko dead and a bunch of other stuff; I remember seeing that and asking the TV "what does that mean?!" which is what I believe most of the people in Japan who where watching it thought too.

Wikipedia (cos of course, Wikipedia is 100% accurate lol) has a few pics of the graffiti on Gainex's front door and of the death threats emailed to Anno, both pics, apparently where in EoE. It's such a 4th wall moment followed by a massive spout of blood from Rei/Lilith's neck.

The way I see it;

1. Eva becomes a huge success mid way through, so Anno ups the ante from it being a simple mecha show and turns it into a serious psychological 6 sided head screw (that is pretty damn awesome!)

2. The final episodes are fast approaching, but despite the popularity, Anno isn't given any more money to complete the project, which is already stretching the budget to the breaking point.

3. Koworu is dead, the baddies are all gone, now he has to finish the story... With only enough budget to make one episode...

4. Solution! Use half drawn key animations and still images with cheap effects thrown in and try to tell the story of the 3rd impact taking place and humanity achieving a perfect existence (congratulations... congratulations... congratulations...)

5. The final episodes air on TV and the fans react poorly, re: send threatening emails and graffiti the entrance to Gainex studios.

6. Eva has been finished for a while now, so to cash in on an old title, Anno starts making EOE, touting it as "the ending to Eva that everyone always wanted".

7. First he makes Death and Rebirth; reusing the extra animation that was either never finished or never aired when the original series was made (the director's cut scenes) and a few other bits and pieces he makes Death (which is just a recap with some extra bits). Then he makes Rebirth, which is the first 30 minutes or so of EOE that he's half way through making, showing Asuka triumphant and defending the good guys and being awesome. "Wow! End of Evangelion is going to be an awesome movie" thinks the Eva fanboys.

8. End of Eva opens in cinemas and makes bank from all the frothing fans who saw Rebirth and are dying to know how much more awesome End of Eva is going to be...

9. Asuka is torn apart and eaten... Misato is not only shot, she's blown in two pieces shortly after... "Ritsuko Akagi, the truth is.......... Nothing!" Asuka confronts Shinji about him masturbating over her (transpose that onto every Eva doujinshi artist and reader ever) ...A happy song with horrible lyrics about suicide plays as everyone on the planet is killed... Shinji's defeatist attitude sees the perfect existence that 3rd impact is meant to be fall on it's face... A picture of the death threats Anno received flashes on the screen... Rei/Liltih dies (hear the Rei groupies suffer to see her head fall off)... Whilst Yui is made to be the 4th wall savior of everyone's soul by letting the characters come back to life if they want to escape Anno's directing wrath... Shinji and Asuka wake up on a beech and Shinji starts crying yet again (did ya get enough of Shinji's sooking through out the series? Well here's some more for you)... Asuka adds one final confusing, ambiguous and not ever explained line and the curtains drop.

I dunno, maybe I'm just jaded; I love the original Evangelion and I even didn't mind the original ending episodes; they where a happy ending. I was so psyched to learn about End of Evangelion and was dying to see it. When I finally did, it was awesome... Or at least I thought it was back when I was 20 years old or so. I watched it to death when I first got it and thought it was the greatest thing ever. I watched it so much that I could quote it word for word and soon after I got bored with it, having discovered many other anime that I really liked as well right around that point. One day I went back and decided to re-watch EOE for old times sake; I was a bit older now so I might have a different perspective on it... Yeah, I did. I pretty much drew the conclusion that the whole thing was Anno's final joke at the expense of Eva fans and I haven't watched it since. The Eva fan in me had pretty much died at that point. I still have Eva Platinum for old time's sake, but I gave Death and Rebirth and EOE away.

Rebuild has rekindled my love of Eva; though I haven't watched Platinum in years and wont touch EOE ever again, this new Eva has got me very excited. I feel like I'm 17 again, waiting for Saturday night to roll around so I can VHS record the next 2 episodes of Evangelion off SBS. I see Rebuild as a "we're done messing with the fans with half explained shenanigans and pseudo psychological imagery that doesn't really mean anything and we're just going to give the fans what they want; a good story". This new Eva has a great animation, great pacing and the characters are evolving from their original series counterparts (Rei has emotions, Asuka has a heart and Shinji finally has a spine).

It's the Eva the fans deserve.
SVanD
Hajime Saitou

PostPosted: Tue May 08, 2012 9:18 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote
Blue Monday wrote:
Hmm, the more I look into this, the less likely it seems. Was just reading that there's apparently an excised scene from the Rebuild 2I that shows a spurt of blood escaping Earth's atmosphere and marking the moon.

Whoa Whoa Whoa... Say what? Undisclosed information and scenes that where cut from 2.22?! Now you have my full attention.

Do tell... Very Happy
Blue Monday
Kenji Harima

PostPosted: Tue May 08, 2012 11:54 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote
It was on the Eva Geeks wiki page for Second Impact, so no solid sources.

I was like 12 or something when Eva first aired on SBS in 1999. Just like a lot of other people, it's what turned me onto to the medium, but at the same time; showed me that the content can be mature and unconventional, even though it's animated. Pretty mind-blowing for 12, haha.

Since then I've always had a special spot in my heart for the series and EOE both. Like I said before, I think they're near perfection.

Even though I'm enjoying Rebuild, there is a lot I don't like about it as well. I may get around to posting about that sometime soon, IDK. One thing I can say is that inside, I'm probably secretly hoping for something like this:

Hehe.

Quote:
I gave Death and Rebirth and EOE away.

Oh man, should've gave it to me. I've been trying to get a region 4/Madman copy of EOE for ages now. Years actually. Someone help me out!
Feball3001
Melfina

PostPosted: Wed May 09, 2012 8:25 am    Post subject: Reply with quote
Blue Monday wrote:
I've been trying to get a region 4/Madman copy of EOE for ages now. Years actually. Someone help me out!

I've been looking for a long time as well, whenever they come up on ebay it goes for $100+ which I am not willing to pay for one movie.
Blue Monday
Kenji Harima

PostPosted: Wed May 09, 2012 9:09 am    Post subject: Reply with quote
There was one that sold on eBay last week. I bid $59.99 on it but had to leave for work/meeting near auction end time. I thought that would've been enough to snag it but the other bidder sniped me whilst I was away; it went for $65.00 or something.

Still bummed about it.

Having that collector's OCD aspect too, I really want a Madman version to compliment my Madman NGE Platinum release.
Faz
Doraemon

PostPosted: Thu May 10, 2012 10:20 am    Post subject: Reply with quote
Blue Monday wrote:
It was on the Eva Geeks wiki page for Second Impact, so no solid sources.

They were from the 2.0 Complete Records Collection that include storyboards and production sketches as well as discarded scenes and ideas for the film.

SVanD wrote:
2. The final episodes are fast approaching, but despite the popularity, Anno isn't given any more money to complete the project, which is already stretching the budget to the breaking point.

They actually had funding pulled after the violence in ep 18.

Quote:
5. The final episodes air on TV and the fans react poorly, re: send threatening emails and graffiti the entrance to Gainex studios.

Did you even look at the link I posted? This one: http://wiki.evageeks.org/End_of_Evangelion_Death_Threats
Specifically: "most of the letters and emails showed genuine appreciation and, in some cases, praise and encouragement/anticipation towards the End of Evangelion."

Quote:
6. Eva has been finished for a while now, so to cash in on an old title, Anno starts making EOE, touting it as "the ending to Eva that everyone always wanted".

D&R came out only a year after Eva had finished airing, that's not a long time.
And Anno has never said that EoE was the ending everyone wanted, he has always been very critical of Otaku culture, and has never pandered to the audience, that was kinda the whole point behind the masturbation scene in the hospital.
SVanD
Hajime Saitou

PostPosted: Fri May 11, 2012 3:49 am    Post subject: Reply with quote
@Blue Monday: Haha, I've seen that picture before, but I only just now figured out what it meant. I have doubts that Rebuild will end the same way as EOE, particularly when you see pictures like this for 3.0;

We can obviously see most of the current Eva characters in that line up, but who are the others? (particularly the 4 on the left). With that many characters being introduced in 3.0, there promises to be a major shake up in the story I think; look how much Mari's introduction in 2.22 shook things up.

And yeah, sorry, but it was about 7 years ago I gave D/R and EOE away, so they're long gone.

@Faz: No I did not look at the link you posted; in fact, I didn't even notice your post at all until today (apologies there).

"The biggest misconception about EOE" huh? Who says? Those people running a website still obsessing over a TV show that's over 10 years old? With a work so open to interpretation as Eva is, how do they know they have it right? Until Anno himself says exactly what it all means in "black and smudge", I'll make up my own mind about it -as should everyone... Including you.

The only thing I get from some of those letters being positive and yet still featuring prominently in a key (and visually disturbing) scene of EOE is Anno making the statement that being too much of a fan of anything is a bad thing- which is pretty much what I got from it before. The irony of that website posting about it isn't lost on me by the way.

Yes I do know about Anno's attitude towards fanboys; do you know about the use of inverted commas to denote sarcasm? Re: "the ending to Eva that everyone always wanted" Wink

I didn't know about the episode 18 funding pull; that makes sense, since that coincides with the "Anno not taking his meds" rumour.

"Referencing Evageeks forum"; are you serious mate? The reason I miss the old days of Eva discussion is because the old days are gone. They're gone because I've already discussed Eva to death; so much in fact, that I understand it all (my interpretation of it anyway). Any further discussion is pointless and I barely have the time to post comments on this forum let alone another with 507,282 topics.

It's good to see discussion about Rebuild pop up, but not when it always comes back to the original. The original is dead and buried and should be left separate from the new work. Or are we going to say that FMA:Brotherhood, Hellsing Ultimate and the new Berserk movies are all sequels to the original anime series as well?

Rebuild is a remake; thinking that it's just going to go back and be a sequel to the original work is so boring. I've seen the original Eva and now I want to see a new story.

Again; just my 2c.
Nargun
Siegfried Kircheis

PostPosted: Fri May 11, 2012 9:04 am    Post subject: Reply with quote
SVanD wrote:
We can obviously see most of the current Eva characters in that line up, but who are the others? (particularly the 4 on the left).

Well, the three on the left look like Nemo, Nadia and Electra, from [i]Nadia: Secret of Blue Water[i].
SVanD
Hajime Saitou

PostPosted: Sat May 12, 2012 10:13 am    Post subject: Reply with quote
I had to look up what Nadia is, but I can see your point lol.

If I was to have a proper guess, I'd wager that they're these 4 (screen cap from the Eva 3.0 preview at the end of 2.22);

"SEELE's Children" aye? Are they different from the children chosen by NERV?

Pure speculation here, but suppose we do see a repeat of the titanic Unit 02 battle from EOE, only this time, instead of being mass produced Eva's running on dummy plugs, we have Unit's 07, 08, 09 and 10 piloted by this quartet of new characters.

Hmmm, maybe not, since most of those characters in the line up look like adults, but at least the one with the shoulder length hair looks young enough to be Unit 08's pilot.
Blue Monday
Kenji Harima

PostPosted: Sat May 12, 2012 10:26 am    Post subject: Reply with quote
SVanD wrote:
Pure speculation here, but suppose we do see a repeat of the titanic Unit 02 battle from EOE, only this time, instead of being mass produced Eva's running on dummy plugs, we have Unit's 07, 08, 09 and 10 piloted by this quartet of new characters.

Oh I'd put my money on this happening in some form or another. Gendo has his own agenda, so that brings him into conflict; to turn against SEELE. Pretty exciting if we get to see some proper Eva verse Eva action, haha.
SVanD
Hajime Saitou

PostPosted: Sat May 12, 2012 12:18 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote
I'd also put money on a titanic battle between Asuka and Mari when Asuka finds out what she did to Unit 02 lol.
Blue Monday
Kenji Harima

PostPosted: Sun May 20, 2012 6:20 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote
Hah! That pic is adorable.

I picked up my own copies of 1.11 and 2.22 last week. Ordered 1.11 from Madman and grabbed 2.22 from JB. Worked out cheaper that way. Pretty stoked. Also have region 4/Madman versions of Death & Rebirth and The End of Evangelion coming in the mail this week! FY!

I'm all fuzzy inside... All fuzzed up.
azn2newbie
Hajime Saitou

PostPosted: Mon May 28, 2012 8:50 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote
It's been 3 years since 2.0 and Anno still left us hanging. Only thing new (2-3 weeks already) was the joint advertising between EVA 3.0 and ANA Airlines and NERV branded smartphones.

This anticipation is killing me. Sad
Blue Monday
Kenji Harima

PostPosted: Thu May 31, 2012 3:13 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote
It's supposed to be screened in Japan later this year, isn't it? I guess that's the one upside to coming into the films late - Don't have to wait as long as others have for the next instalment, haha.

Re-watched 2.22 today. Beautiful movie. I'm now pretty sceptical on the continuation theory. For now. Kaworu's dialogue is still very 'eyebrow raising' though.

Keen for that Big Boss look Asuka's going to be sporting too.
azn2newbie
Hajime Saitou

PostPosted: Sat Jun 02, 2012 1:04 am    Post subject: Reply with quote
2.22 was indeed amazing. Originally I thought it'd be a re-animated re-hash of the episodes 8-19, like how 1.11 was a rushed retelling of 1-6. But wow! Did it exceed my expectations. Mr. Green

3.0 should arrive within the Fall period of Japan (Sept, Oct, Nov) and 4.0 should(might?) come out next year.

Hopefully once the movie comes out on Japanese blu-ray, it would include English subtitles, that way I can grab it straight away 'cos I wouldn't have the patience to wait for Madman's release.. Razz
Blue Monday
Kenji Harima

PostPosted: Sun Jun 03, 2012 11:00 am    Post subject: Reply with quote
Yeah, if my Japanese was better than it is, I'd fly over to see it in the cinemas when it drops (that keen. For real). Then I could just wait for the 3.33 DVD release from Madman but alas... I suck.

Quote:
Originally I thought it'd be a re-animated re-hash of the episodes 8-19, like how 1.11 was a rushed retelling of 1-6. But wow! Did it exceed my expectations.

There's a cool little, ugh, scene/vignette at the start of the film after the battle between Unit-05 and the 3rd Angel; showing train tracks and the tracks changing. Cool little metaphor for the path of the story altering/diverting or something I guess.
Porunga
Akiha Tohno

PostPosted: Wed Oct 16, 2013 9:24 am    Post subject: Reply with quote
The thought that it could be set post-End of Eva is the first time I've had eny interest in 3.0. Don't expect it to be the case, but it'd be a very cool way to have a remake and eat it too.
SVanD
Hajime Saitou

PostPosted: Wed Oct 16, 2013 12:13 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote
There is one theory out there that Rebuild loops on itself; Kowaru (or his identical clone brother) goes back in time and halts Near Third Impact with the Mk. 06 (or an Eva that looks like it) which is what we see after the credits of 2.22.

3.0 is what happened without that little bit and 4.0 will be the new future Kowaru creats.

I'd believe that before I'd believe Rebuild is a direct sequel to EoE, but I don't think I like the idea since it would mean 3.33 doesn't mean anything cos it just gets undone -instead of the Endless 8 of Haruhi Suzumiya we get My HiME. Sad

Page 1 of 1

Jump to: