Usergroups  ·  Register ·    Profile  ·  Log in to check your private messages  ·   Log in     

Why is the Garden of Sinners DVD censored?

Why is the Garden of Sinners DVD censored?
Author
Doraemon

PostPosted: Wed Nov 27, 2013 4:20 pm    Post subject: Why is the Garden of Sinners DVD censored? Reply with quote
Hi, this is my first time posting so please be gentle. I recently brought home the Garden of Sinners box set on a blind buy and have been enjoying it immensely. However, I am extremely disappointed to learn that the audio for movie 4 is censored.

I noticed in the scene where Shiki is being attacked by the zombie that Kokuto's mouth was moving but no words were coming out. At first I thought this was a problem with my setup so I tried the dvd on a different player. Same thing.

Only after some research did I find out he was supposed to be singing "Singin' in the Rain" but for whatever reason it's censored on this release. For such a pricey limited edition, I expect better since the song felt crucial to the emotional impact of that scene. Does anyone know why it was taken out?

Thanks and sorry for the trouble.
kyoujin
Minawa Andou

PostPosted: Wed Nov 27, 2013 10:08 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote
if it was intentionally taken out, i guess they couldn't clear the rights for it.
I have the US release, but cant remember if it was taken out or not, anyone else know?
Slykura
Madman Staff

PostPosted: Thu Nov 28, 2013 6:36 am    Post subject: Reply with quote
I can assure you that we have not in any way shape or form modified the audio on the disc. It takes more effort for us to cut something out than to leave it in.

The audio was supplied to us as is.

I believe it had something to do with the rights for the song not being cleared for release outside of Japan. It's unfortunately not something we can do fix this situation.
sleepingbunny
Doraemon

PostPosted: Thu Nov 28, 2013 1:22 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote
Thanks for the quick reply! It is rather disappointing about the music but it's still a great box set regardless and I don't regret getting it. A big thanks for bringing it over otherwise I would not have discovered this great series.

As for the US set, I've done a bit of digging and it appears that the initial bluray release did have that song intact though I'm not sure if it was left unsubbed. No info on the dvd one though. Cheers.

Page 1 of 1

Jump to: