Usergroups  ·  Register ·    Profile  ·  Log in to check your private messages  ·   Log in     

The All-New Sailor Moon Thread

Goto page 1, 2  Next
The All-New Sailor Moon Thread
Author
Tomoyo Daidouji

PostPosted: Sat Jul 07, 2012 11:47 am    Post subject: The All-New Sailor Moon Thread Reply with quote
A new Sailor Moon series based on the manga will premiere in northern Summer 2013. Momoiro Clover Z will perform a theme song. It will be released worldwide simultaneously.

[Source]

I'm surprised no one has mentioned it here yet. Is everyone more interested in having the previous series rereleased?
glitchhunter
Lin Minmay

PostPosted: Sat Jul 07, 2012 11:52 am    Post subject: Reply with quote
I am actually very excited, but I'm not the type to make a topic about it. I knew someone else would anyway.
I was so happy when I saw the announcement on ANN that I had a few tears. Best announcement I've seen on there for a very, very long time.
I hope it follows the manga closely and has less filler Smile
HimuraBattousai
Kagami Yagami

PostPosted: Sat Jul 07, 2012 12:59 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote
Well, I still want a re-release of the original (and a release for Sailor Stars), but I am excited for this too. There is some speculation as to voice acting, since some have retired and others may not be available. I am hoping that Mitsuishi Kotono at least keeps the title role.
Blue Monday
Kenji Harima

PostPosted: Sat Jul 07, 2012 1:50 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote
My partner will be ecstatic, haha.

glitchhunter wrote:
I am actually very excited, but I'm not the type to make a topic about it.

Nope, apparently not - Just the type that says "I'm not the type to make a topic about it."?

Question

Your comment confounds me deeply...

Carry on.
alphamone
Hajime Saitou

PostPosted: Sat Jul 07, 2012 5:16 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote
It is good to know that we will get some sailor moon. Sooooo excited to see it.

Also, plans for worldwide broadcast (so long as worldwide means such, and not just Japan USA and Canada), SO MUCH LOVE.
glitchhunter
Lin Minmay

PostPosted: Sat Jul 07, 2012 6:13 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote
Blue Monday wrote:
My partner will be ecstatic, haha.

[..]

Nope, apparently not - Just the type that says "I'm not the type to make a topic about it."?

Question

Your comment confounds me deeply...

Carry on.

Huh? What's confusing about that? I don't like making topics is all.
SGD_Eirikr
Hajime Saitou

PostPosted: Sat Jul 07, 2012 6:17 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote
Sailor V ova? Wake me up when that happens. After reading V, I found Minako far more likable and want that animated far more.

I'll still buy this day 1, or close to it, like FMA:B, but I want a Sailor V OVA series...
Knight of L-sama
Tina Foster

PostPosted: Sat Jul 07, 2012 6:42 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote
HimuraBattousai wrote:
There is some speculation as to voice acting, since some have retired and others may not be available. I am hoping that Mitsuishi Kotono at least keeps the title role.

Actually I was looking at ANN and for the most part the Sailor Senshi are either still active or have been until recently. In addition to Mitsushi Kotono, Ogata Megumi (Uranus) is still working (Eva Rebuild and Bleach), as is Katsuki Masako (Neptune) (she's Tsundade in Naruto) and Hisakawa Aya (Mercury) is still quite prolific. Fukamaki Rika (Venus) had a small part (Ringo's mother) in Mawaru Penguindrum, Tomizawa Michie (Mars) is still taking the occasional role (Roberta in the Black Lagoon OAVs being the most recent), as is Mingaguschi Yuko (Saturn) (one of Eu's 'delusion voices' in Kore Wa Zombie Desu Ka), and the same goes for Shinohara Emi (Jupiter) who had a role in Inu X Boku Secret Service earlier this year.

Most recent I can find for Keiko Han (Luna/Queen Beryl) is Bamboo Blade (2007/2008) and RxJ for Araki Kei (Chibi-Usa and Mitsushi Kotono's substitute for the second half of the first season) which was in (2007). The real problem is Kawashima Chiyoko (Pluto) for who I can't find anything more recent than Kamikaze Kaitou Saint Jeanne (99/2000).

So for the most part its less if their available and more if they're willing and the producers are willing to get them.
HimuraBattousai
Kagami Yagami

PostPosted: Sat Jul 07, 2012 9:20 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote
Knight of L-sama wrote:
Stuff about various voice actresses

I dunno. Sure Hisakawa Aya is still relatively active, as are Mitsuishi Kotono, Katsuki Masako, Ogata Megumi and Minaguchi Yuko (though a Delusion Eu is hardly her most notable recent role...).

Shinohara Emi hasn't had much in the way of notable parts lately, and no a single episode bit character in Inu X Boku SS isn't what I'd call notable, even if it was this year. Tomizawa Michie might do the occasional role, but is still largely inactive. Likewise Fukami Rika.

Kawashima Chiyoko is especially unlikely; her role in Kamikaze Kaitou Jeanne was about as minor as it's possible to get (Maron's mother, whose defining trait is never being there).

In any case, a voice actor or actress still being some definition of "active" is not an ironclad guarantee they'll reprise their role.
Knight of L-sama
Tina Foster

PostPosted: Sun Jul 08, 2012 8:33 am    Post subject: Reply with quote
It wasn't so much about how prolific they are and more about how they are all (with one exception) still active to a greater or lesser extent rather than having retired completely and are thus still potentially available.

HimuraBattousai wrote:
Kawashima Chiyoko is especially unlikely; her role in Kamikaze Kaitou Jeanne was about as minor as it's possible to get (Maron's mother, whose defining trait is never being there).

Yeah, that was kind of the point I was making. Han Keiko and Araki Kei have done stuff within the last five years, if only just but Kawashima Chiyoko's most recent role that I can find is a small part from something that aired over twelve years ago which makes her the most problematic if you want to re-unite the old cast.
FireAza
Kiichi Goto

PostPosted: Sun Jul 08, 2012 6:40 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote
This stuck me as quite a surprise. I was under the impression that Sailor Moon was far more successful in the West than it was in it's home country, and that Japan doesn't care about old anime unless they were really popular like Astro Boy or Lupin.
Knight of L-sama
Tina Foster

PostPosted: Sun Jul 08, 2012 9:41 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote
Given that it got a Live-Action TV series in 2003/2004 and has had a variety of stage shows and musicals running ever since the original run... I think you may have underestimated its popularity.

Not to mention that like Gundam its quite influential in the genre. Cutie Honey may have inadvertantly created the Magical Warrior sub-type of the Magical Girl genre but Sailor Moon is often credited with making it popular and is considered the first to fuse the Magical Warrior with the team based dynamics ala Super Sentai, thus laying the groundwork for later series like Wedding Peach, Tokyo Mew Mew and later iterations of Toei's popular Pretty Cure series.

And now that I think of it Sailor Moon may have also been responsible for introducing the Magical Girl as Princess/Queen figure to the genre as well though I can't swear to that one.

It was also responsible for launching several careers. Mitsushi Kotono, Tomozawa Michie and Hisakawa Aya all count Sailor Moon among the first (if not very first) leading roles. It also added an interesting caveat to Ogata Megumi's. (Somewhat notorious for voicing male characters, Tenoh Haruka is one of her few female roles but ironically the character is somewhat notable as being able to pass her self off as male with very little effort).
Feball3001
Melfina

PostPosted: Mon Jul 09, 2012 8:01 am    Post subject: Reply with quote
Nice, didn't know they where making a new Sailor Moon series.
OniV2
Nene Romanova

PostPosted: Tue Jul 10, 2012 12:48 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote
Hey, I'll watch it. Heck, I'll do so week by week.
Gouki
Vanilla H

PostPosted: Fri Oct 26, 2012 9:23 am    Post subject: Reply with quote
As expected, there's going to be a big merchandising push for this. Apparently this includes the, somewhat unexpected, announcement of Sailor Moon Figuarts! Hell yes!
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website Yahoo Messenger MSN Messenger
TidalWave_Jeannette
Mayuko Chigasaki

PostPosted: Wed Oct 31, 2012 2:26 am    Post subject: Reply with quote
AT LEAST THEY'RE DOING A NEW SAILOR MOON! Speaking of which:

1. We really need to needle Eastern Eye into snapping up the rights to Pretty Guardian Sailor Moon live action series and specials. (BTW, how much will the box set be in Australia?)
2. It's a pity they're rebooting the first series (Serena and her planetary princess court friends get sent to earth, their memories blanked/surpressed for security reasons, till the Negaverse returns, then we reactivate the Sailor Scouts for defense and to protect the universe, etc.) We wanted to get to know future Rini better and her Asteroid Princess friends too.
3. I may have an idea for a series to toss out to fanfic authors/professional writers/cartoonists and maybe to Pocket Books or Arrow Books, etc. It's a 10 story series called "Sailor Moon: The Princesses' Court" (working title, inspirted by the Star Trek Captains' Table book series). Here's the basics, like that place in Starfleet HQ where you have a drink with Starfleet Captains, you spend time with a Sailor Scout friend in her princess guise having a drink, helping her out, etc, but in exchange, she's gotta tell you a story about a part of her Sailor Scout career (a challenging quest, overcoming adversity, etc.).
Gouki
Vanilla H

PostPosted: Wed Oct 31, 2012 10:03 am    Post subject: Reply with quote
TidalWave_Jeannette wrote:
(BTW, how much will the box set be in Australia?)

Nothing because it isn't, and most likely never will be, licensed.

Quote:
We wanted to get to know future Rini better and her Asteroid Princess friends too.

No. Nobody did.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website Yahoo Messenger MSN Messenger
Knight of L-sama
Tina Foster

PostPosted: Mon Apr 28, 2014 8:47 am    Post subject: Reply with quote
Apologies for necro-ing this thread somewhat but its probably worth reactivating it since we are starting to get actually news after a year or so of delay.

The most prominent part being with have an air date (July 5th) but more importantly we have Casting Announcements!

Short version, Kotono Mitsuishi returns as Sailor Moon, the other Inner Senshi have new casts and no words on who is doing Mamoru/Tux-boy (Tohru Furuya announced his willingness to return at the same event when the anime was first announced).
Thistle
Washu Hakubi

PostPosted: Tue Apr 29, 2014 9:00 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote
...I think more important are the character designs:

The new designs look gorgeous! Can't wait for this to start. The rest of the senshi in the link below.

Source: http://sailormoon-official.com/animation/characters/moon.php
Sylontack
Belldandy

PostPosted: Tue Apr 29, 2014 10:52 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote
I'm like 10 out of 10 pumped for this, although I'm hoping ANN's article has an awful translation error and we aren't getting two episodes a month.
Thistle
Washu Hakubi

PostPosted: Sat May 17, 2014 11:03 am    Post subject: R1 Officially Licensed Reply with quote
And the winner is........

VIZ MEDIA.

http://www.animenewsnetwork.com/news/2014-05-16/viz-licenses-original-sailor-moon-anime-franchise

Trailer: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=RWPyM9afQ-w

All 200 episodes, all Movies and specials, new English dub, streaming, DVD and Blu-Ray AND Sailor Moon Crystal. It's a big year for Sailor Moon fans.

Okay Madman, we're waiting Wink
StorminNorman
Gillard-chan

PostPosted: Sat May 17, 2014 12:16 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote
Oh man, the resale value on my ADV uncut boxes just dropped by several thousand dollars. Sad
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website MSN Messenger
Sabmabab
Hajime Saitou

PostPosted: Sat May 17, 2014 3:38 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote
This is amazing! I used to tape the episodes on VHS (who remembers Cheez TV?) so this will bring back a lot of memories for sure! I'll 100% support any Sailor Moon BD release here Razz
Knight of L-sama
Tina Foster

PostPosted: Sat May 17, 2014 7:49 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote
Sabmabab wrote:
(who remembers Cheez TV?)

I do. Well enough to remember that Sailor Moon was on Agro's Cartoon Connection on Channel 7 while Cheez TV was on Channel 10. Razz

Sabmabab wrote:
I'll 100% support any Sailor Moon BD release here Razz

I'm not sure I have the patience. And I have a multi-region BD player Twisted Evil

Also the last Viz lisenced show I picked up got licensed by Hanabee.
StorminNorman
Gillard-chan

PostPosted: Sat May 17, 2014 8:56 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote
Knight of L-sama wrote:
I do. Well enough to remember that Sailor Moon was on Agro's Cartoon Connection on Channel 7 while Cheez TV was on Channel 10.

I could be wrong about this, but I'm pretty sure Cheez TV showed it some years after it originally ran on Channel 7.

Quote:

Australian distributors rarely sub-license from the US these days, so this doesn't really mean a lot.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website MSN Messenger
Chii_123
Doraemon

PostPosted: Sat May 17, 2014 11:27 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote
Madman, it would be awesome if we could get the newly released Sailor Moon over here.... I'm so excited.

My Eureka 7 avatar was made by 'starshapedcandy' @ http://starshapedcandy.livejournal.com/?tag=animanga:+eureka+7
Sabmabab
Hajime Saitou

PostPosted: Sun May 18, 2014 3:06 am    Post subject: Reply with quote
StorminNorman wrote:
I could be wrong about this, but I'm pretty sure Cheez TV showed it some years after it originally ran on Channel 7.

My brother and I always watched Cheez TV so I'm unaware of it airing on other channels. I hate to trust wikipedia but both do mention airing Sailor Moon. Either way it aired every morning on TV and we all have fond memories of it ^_^

Knight of L-sama wrote:

I assume you mean Accel World. I don't believe Hanabee have any series produced by Toei, I'd say Madman is most likely to release Sailor Moon but we shouldn't assume until an potential announcement comes through.

Sadly I don't have a Region A blu-ray player, but if the US release is anything like Viz's Ranma 1/2 BD's, it's going to look real nice!
Knight of L-sama
Tina Foster

PostPosted: Sun May 18, 2014 7:46 am    Post subject: Reply with quote
StorminNorman wrote:

If it was, it was definitely after I stopped watching.
Darth Tallis
Van Fanel

PostPosted: Sun May 18, 2014 8:30 am    Post subject: Reply with quote
One thing I remember is Theresa and Holly dressing up like Sailor Scouts on Agro's Cartoon Connection. :3
Night Stalker
Koyomi Mizuhara

PostPosted: Thu May 22, 2014 1:21 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote
Sabmabab wrote:
My brother and I always watched Cheez TV so I'm unaware of it airing on other channels. I hate to trust wikipedia but both do mention airing Sailor Moon. Either way it aired every morning on TV and we all have fond memories of it ^_^

I'm pretty sure it was Cheez TV that I watched it on as well, I can recall watching both Sailor Moon and Teknoman before going to school.

Either way, I'm wrapped that the original series is finally getting a re-release. I'll also be interested in watching the new series as well.
Knight of L-sama
Tina Foster

PostPosted: Thu May 22, 2014 4:28 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote
A quick wiki check shows that Cheez TV did indeed screen Sailor Moon in its later run, but it was originally on Agro's Cartoon Connection (as far as Australian TV is concerned anyway).

Which I remember as being kind of annoying since Cheez TV tended to synch its shows to start on the hour and half hour (or pretty close) but Cartoon Connection would stagger than considerably more so I was flicking between catching the last 10 minutes or so of Teknoman while trying to catch the beginning of Sailor Moon.
Feball3001
Melfina

PostPosted: Thu May 22, 2014 10:24 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote
I grew up only watching Cartoon Connection until it stopped. Sailor Moon was on both but it was years afterwards that channel 10 showed Sailor Moon and they never showed as much as what we saw on Agro.
Thistle
Washu Hakubi

PostPosted: Fri Jun 06, 2014 7:42 am    Post subject: Trailer Reply with quote
FIRST TRAILER RELEASED:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=v9Ft3viBgtQ&feature=youtu.be
Knight of L-sama
Tina Foster

PostPosted: Fri Jun 06, 2014 7:48 am    Post subject: Reply with quote
I watched it. So pretty.
Gouki
Vanilla H

PostPosted: Sun Jun 08, 2014 4:12 am    Post subject: Reply with quote
Cannot wait. And its releasd on my partners birthday.

Already dreading the "but it looks different!" nonsense I've seen start to pop up, but I think it looks gorgeous.
Dr.Jackal
Sylia Stingray

PostPosted: Sun Jun 08, 2014 1:20 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote
I hope when it is dubbed, they do a new version of "Fighting Evil by Moonlight" (if it even has a name). Just because.
Chii_123
Doraemon

PostPosted: Sun Jun 08, 2014 10:01 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote
Quote:
Already dreading the "but it looks different!" nonsense I've seen start to pop up, but I think it looks gorgeous.

Agreed. All those comments are annoying me. They're trying to do something different, for one, and also.... it's been 20 years since the original came out - it doesn't make sense to copy it.
I expected it to look like this since I found out the woman who does the character designs for Chiyahafuru is doing this show.
Still pumped for the show. Kind of sad "Fighting evil by moonlight" won't be reappearing but maybe it can be an extra on a DVD or something... hopefully.

My Eureka 7 avatar was made by 'starshapedcandy' @ http://starshapedcandy.livejournal.com/?tag=animanga:+eureka+7
u523
Kuu

PostPosted: Tue Jun 10, 2014 7:11 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote
I only hope that the new voice actors can live up to some of the old ones like Mitsuko Horie (Sailor Galaxia) who still sounded great back in January 2013 when I saw her at an Anison Big 3 concert with Ichirou Mizuki and Hironobu Kageyama.
Thistle
Washu Hakubi

PostPosted: Fri Jul 04, 2014 8:08 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote
The first episode premieres in 24hrs!

Watch here:

http://www.crunchyroll.com/sailor-moon-crystal/episode-1-656623

or here:

http://ch.nicovideo.jp/sailormoon_English

Chii_123
Doraemon

PostPosted: Sat Jul 05, 2014 8:29 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote
Um, well the animation was worse than I thought it was going to be. The characters movements were really chunky Sad and I was sad that during her transformation sequence the use of 3D animation was really obvious and looked BAD. Hopefully the budget gets better. The villain in this episode looked lame compared to the original.

Besides this, I like the script so far and the music is good. Just a shame that given the show is a 2014 production the animation doesn't look better. It looks like the show is from 2004 instead.

What did everyone else think?

Sylontack
Belldandy

PostPosted: Sat Jul 05, 2014 8:46 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote
Aside from some pretty unsightly uses of CGI (Spaghetti Transformation Sequence) I thought the animation and art was gorgeous and was more or less up to my expectations. I look forward to the next episode.
kawaiipikachu
Doraemon

PostPosted: Sun Jul 06, 2014 9:57 am    Post subject: Reply with quote
Just watched it last night Found the art style quite good with it's hand drawn quality to it & unlike everyone else enjoyed the Transformation Sequence.
Sure I do find some faults to it yet still I see it a good mix of the old & new.

Now the next fortnight can't come any sooner.
Sylontack
Belldandy

PostPosted: Sun Jul 06, 2014 1:36 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote
In other news, Sailor Moon Set 1 (first half of season 1) is available to pre-order on RightStuf in a Standard DVD set for $30.99 and a Blu-Ray/DVD Combo Limited Edition set (with chipboard box I imagine not dissimilar to Ranma but also housing the 88 page booklet) for $56.99.

Totally pre-ordered me the LE as soon as I got the notification email.
Darth Tallis
Van Fanel

PostPosted: Sun Jul 06, 2014 5:53 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote
Pre-ordered mine. :3
kawaiipikachu
Doraemon

PostPosted: Sun Jul 06, 2014 6:26 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote
Was checking out Nico Nico Douga a few hours ago trawling for some good Vocaloid related videos as usual but to my plesant surprise that 9 out of 10 of the Ranking videos on the frount page being the different lingual versions of Sailor Moon Crystal.

While personally I watched it Via Crunchyroll still I did find it good that it being a hit worldwide

Still I can't wait till next fortnight to watch Episode 2.

Sylontack wrote:
In other news, Sailor Moon Set 1 (first half of season 1) is available to pre-order on RightStuf in a Standard DVD set for $30.99 and a Blu-Ray/DVD Combo Limited Edition set (with chipboard box I imagine not dissimilar to Ranma but also housing the 88 page booklet) for $56.99.

Totally pre-ordered me the LE as soon as I got the notification email.

I be awaiting for news of an actual Australian Release of the Blu-Ray set, yet in the unlikely event that us Aussies missing out somehow I bet you I would import it in even if I need to buy myself a region free player to play it on.
Darth Tallis
Van Fanel

PostPosted: Mon Jul 07, 2014 4:34 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote
Just watched the first episode of the new Sailor Moon series. This is gonna be fun. :3
HimuraBattousai
Kagami Yagami

PostPosted: Tue Jul 15, 2014 4:23 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote
Chii_123 wrote:
Um, well the animation was worse than I thought it was going to be. The characters movements were really chunky Sad and I was sad that during her transformation sequence the use of 3D animation was really obvious and looked BAD. Hopefully the budget gets better. The villain in this episode looked lame compared to the original.

Besides this, I like the script so far and the music is good. Just a shame that given the show is a 2014 production the animation doesn't look better. It looks like the show is from 2004 instead.

What did everyone else think?

Well... honestly, I think if you're expecting it to have brilliant animation quality, you're not going in with realistic expectations of Toei. The animation certainly isn't bad, I think. Less good than most of what's also out these days, sure, just as the original Sailor Moon had pretty ordinary animation for the time it came out.

What I found a bit more lacklustre was in the story department. Early Instalment Weirdness such as the gems in Sailor Moon's hair being a bad stuff is happening radio that appeared in the first episode of the original and nowhere else was still there; I thought this would have been a good opportunity to write that bit as happening in a way more consistent with how the rest of the series goes.

Still, enjoyable to watch.
TidalWave_Jeannette
Mayuko Chigasaki

PostPosted: Thu Jul 17, 2014 2:05 am    Post subject: Reply with quote
Is there a way to buy legit the live action Pretty Guardian Sailor Moon? (the one where Luna was a talking plushie but turned into an actual girl and Sailor Scout, and Sailor Mercury was on the dark side)
kawaiipikachu
Doraemon

PostPosted: Thu Jul 17, 2014 4:07 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote
TidalWave_Jeannette wrote:
Is there a way to buy legit the live action Pretty Guardian Sailor Moon? (the one where Luna was a talking plushie but turned into an actual girl and Sailor Scout, and Sailor Mercury was on the dark side)

Possible import via CD Japan.
But as it would be Japanese release I doubtful that that it includes english subs.

Other than that, it may be possible that in the future that it may become licensed with possible future success of the Classic & Crystal Anime DVD & Blu-rays sales.
Mikuji
Doraemon

PostPosted: Wed Jul 30, 2014 12:30 am    Post subject: Reply with quote
Darkury!

PGSM was a real guilty pleasure.

For the record, only Julia Roberts has a scarier mouth than Kuroki Mioooo

Page 1 of 2

Jump to: